Start by marking “The Boy Who Grew Flowers” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Grew Flowers

The Boy Who Grew Flowers

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Shunned at school because he sprouts flowers every full moon, Rink Bowagon makes a special pair of shoes for a classmate who is able to appreciate his unique abilities.
Published October 1st 2005 by Barefoot Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Grew Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Grew Flowers

Ivan
Lovely story - sweet and inspirational -wonderful illustrations. I have several children's books that I'm saving to my personal library - some classics, but mainly just books that have a great message.
Lexus Beedy
Personal Reaction:
I really liked the mix of reality with fantasy in this book. While we are all different individuals, those are the qualities we should cherish and celebrate. As this book demonstrates that it is beautiful to be different, this is something many students can find relatable.

This book was Purpose:
This book would be appropriate for a read aloud for grade levels 1st-3rd grade.
I love the differences expressed in the Bowagons family. While this book contains many imaginary character
Gina
The Boy Who Grew Flowers is a story about a boy who grows flowers every full moon. Rink Bowagon had a family that was all a little different. In Rink's class is a girl named Angelina who loves flowers, but because Rink is also made fun of at school because of his strange family. Rink made Angelina shoes with flowers and asked her to the school dance, she said yes! After the dance Angelina witnessed the flowers growing from his head, but to Rink's surprise Angelina grows flowers that are right be ...more
Alicia
Nov 30, 2009 Alicia added it
I don't understand how this book got made. A boy who sprouts flowers? A girl who has one leg shorter than the other? I understand that kids should accept other kids with differences, but it's just too "out there" for me.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

I loved this story. Rink is a member of an odd little family that all have special talents. Rink’s talent is the most special of all; during the full moon, he grows flowers all over his body. His mom would simply clip off the flowers the next morning and Rink would head off to school. One day, a new girl comes to town, Angelina Quiz, a girl in a family who are in the ballroom dancing business. Angelina has one leg that is shorter than the other. The story of how Rink and Angelin
Samantha Hagler
Beautiful story! This book is about a young boy named Rink who lives with a family that has all sorts of unique talents, but to all the other townspeople they are just weird. No one at school talks to Rink and every night during a full moon, Rink sprouts flowers from his head. One day, a new girl named Angelina comes into Rink's class and she is a beautiful girl but has one leg shorter than the other. Many students ask the girl to the school dance but she refuses because of her leg. Rink uses hi ...more
Lacey Bolen
I enjoyed this book. The imaginative aspect of the story was much different than I expected. This book also tells a nice story about accepting others and their differences. There is a lot of strong vocab such as exotic, rumor, luminous, admire, marveled, and green thumb. This book could also go along with a lesson on kindness and acceptance for 2nd-3d grade.
Christine Kirk
This booked warmed my heart. What a wonderful little story and it is one that serves as a great jumping off point for so many worthy discussions with my kids. I can't say this about many children's books, I can't wait to read it again.
Michelle
A very nice book that teaches us we should accept others for who they are and what they can do.Everyone has different talents that should be appreciated.
Stacy
I love the beauty and message in this book. What a wonderful way of showing that different is GREAT. Will read this to my kids over and over.
Molly
Nice story about growing up with "different" talents and being appreciated for them. So simple and yet meaningful. Wonderful illustrations.
Sienna
This book is amazing. How sweet it is.
Amy For
Sweet story:)
Laurie
I was excited when I first read about this book but it didn't live up to my expectations; it was a little too simplistic I thought. I'm not sure a young reader would get the point of the story without some adult input. I liked the illustrations. I may give this as a gift...
Maggie Burgess
Really sweet book. I love that it shows that it's okay to reach out to the quiet kids, the kids off to the side, the kids that are a little different and may even have some rumors about their goofy family- and it's okay to reach out to them even if you're someone with a lot of friends! I also love the message of seeing a friend who may have a need, and finding a way to help them without having to ask or be prompted. Just overall a great story.
Linda
So beautifully illustrated in capturing the whimsical & 'different' world of the children and their families. The 'accepting our differences' message is clear, but not trivialised so I would like to read this with my kids.

Problem is, I can't find any local library that has it on their shelves - I only found it by chance in a groovy little bookshop.

One library request form - heading their way!
Cindy
A magical story about an unusual boy who meets the perfect unusual girl. Together the turn lonesome mountain into Sweet Blossom Hill. The illustrations are so evocative, and the story, so unusual and effective at reminding people that every single person is quirky AND deserving of kindness!
This is a great book to use when talking about differences that people have. It is a story about a boy who grows flowers out of from his body when he is exposed to moonlight. He meets a girl with a special quality herself. Great for talking about friendships as well.
Donna-Lee
This is a heartwarming tale about a boy and a girl that have to deal with their own differences. In this story, one of the main characters has a real life physical disability.

Christine
I am beginning the school year with this book! I love the message of celebrating differences (subtle ways are great!) that the book offers. This year, I begin with a number of stories that center around creating community in the classroom.
Sheniqua
This book can be used during a science lesson to discuss different types of flowers and began discussing the life cycle of plants. This book can be used to discuss the plant life cycle and recording the changes over time for a second grade class.
Molly
Much like all the other Barefoot Books I've ever read, I loved the look, layout and design of this book. I also really enjoyed the story. I could see this as a good addition to a storytime for older children (wouldn't work for preschoolers).
Agnes
The illustrations for this quirky picture book are amazing with stong brushstrokes and a canvas texture effect on the page. The narrative lends itself to a modern fairy tale storytelling complete with a happily ever after.
Heather
45 months - An odd book but we really liked it and the illustrations are well done, enjoyed the style. This is probably the first and only kids picture book we've read with the term SHAPESHIFTER in it! Seriously!
Nadine Jones
Jan 23, 2011 Nadine Jones marked it as to-read
Shelves: children-s
One of the books listed in "1001 Children's Books"

Really weird. I appreciated it, but my older daughter was a little put-off by it, and my youngest was just too young at the time. Probably worth a re-read in a year.
Cat
Sweet, sweet book with beautiful pictures. Also holds a nice lesson for kids - though I think most of my kinders were too young to really get the message (they got all caught up on other details of the book!).
Lisa
A boy that grows flowers on his body connects with a girl that grows a flower behind her ear. This strange story has a tenderness that draws in the reader. I recommend this to a older audience.
Emelda
Cute, quick story about a boy whose family is different, as is he- he grows flowers from his body at the full moon. A new girl comes to town, she's a little different too, it's a happy ending.
Christie Rice
I have learned from this book that all people are different on the outside and this shouldn't be a problem, because you should get to know someone from the inside out.
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • The Real Thief
  • You're All My Favorites
  • That Pesky Rat
  • Haunted House
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf