The Boy Who Grew Flowers

The Boy Who Grew Flowers

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Rink s grandmother was raised by wolves, his Uncle Dud tames rattlesnakes, and Rink grows beautiful flowers all over his body when the moon is full. Townspeople just don t understand the Bowagons. But one day a new girl named Angelica arrives at Rink s school, and he soon discovers she has some unique qualities too. Using humor and metaphor to promote acceptance, this touc...more
Published October 5th 2005 by Barefoot Books (first published January 1st 2005)

Alicia
Nov 30, 2009 Alicia added it
I don't understand how this book got made. A boy who sprouts flowers? A girl who has one leg shorter than the other? I understand that kids should accept other kids with differences, but it's just too "out there" for me.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

I loved this story. Rink is a member of an odd little family that all have special talents. Rink’s talent is the most special of all; during the full moon, he grows flowers all over his body. His mom would simply clip off the flowers the next morning and Rink would head off to school. One day, a new girl comes to town, Angelina Quiz, a girl in a family who are in the ballroom dancing business. Angelina has one leg that is shorter than the other. The story of how Rink and Angelin...more
Samantha Hagler
Beautiful story! This book is about a young boy named Rink who lives with a family that has all sorts of unique talents, but to all the other townspeople they are just weird. No one at school talks to Rink and every night during a full moon, Rink sprouts flowers from his head. One day, a new girl named Angelina comes into Rink's class and she is a beautiful girl but has one leg shorter than the other. Many students ask the girl to the school dance but she refuses because of her leg. Rink uses hi...more
Maggie Burgess
Really sweet book. I love that it shows that it's okay to reach out to the quiet kids, the kids off to the side, the kids that are a little different and may even have some rumors about their goofy family- and it's okay to reach out to them even if you're someone with a lot of friends! I also love the message of seeing a friend who may have a need, and finding a way to help them without having to ask or be prompted. Just overall a great story.
Linda
So beautifully illustrated in capturing the whimsical & 'different' world of the children and their families. The 'accepting our differences' message is clear, but not trivialised so I would like to read this with my kids.

Problem is, I can't find any local library that has it on their shelves - I only found it by chance in a groovy little bookshop.

One library request form - heading their way!
Cindy
A magical story about an unusual boy who meets the perfect unusual girl. Together the turn lonesome mountain into Sweet Blossom Hill. The illustrations are so evocative, and the story, so unusual and effective at reminding people that every single person is quirky AND deserving of kindness!
This is a great book to use when talking about differences that people have. It is a story about a boy who grows flowers out of from his body when he is exposed to moonlight. He meets a girl with a special quality herself. Great for talking about friendships as well.
Donna-Lee
This is a heartwarming tale about a boy and a girl that have to deal with their own differences. In this story, one of the main characters has a real life physical disability.

Christine
I am beginning the school year with this book! I love the message of celebrating differences (subtle ways are great!) that the book offers. This year, I begin with a number of stories that center around creating community in the classroom.
Sheniqua
This book can be used during a science lesson to discuss different types of flowers and began discussing the life cycle of plants. This book can be used to discuss the plant life cycle and recording the changes over time for a second grade class.
Molly
Much like all the other Barefoot Books I've ever read, I loved the look, layout and design of this book. I also really enjoyed the story. I could see this as a good addition to a storytime for older children (wouldn't work for preschoolers).
Agnes
The illustrations for this quirky picture book are amazing with stong brushstrokes and a canvas texture effect on the page. The narrative lends itself to a modern fairy tale storytelling complete with a happily ever after.
Heather
45 months - An odd book but we really liked it and the illustrations are well done, enjoyed the style. This is probably the first and only kids picture book we've read with the term SHAPESHIFTER in it! Seriously!
Nadine
Jan 23, 2011 Nadine marked it as to-read
Shelves: children-s
One of the books listed in "1001 Children's Books"

Really weird. I appreciated it, but my older daughter was a little put-off by it, and my youngest was just too young at the time. Probably worth a re-read in a year.
Catherine
Sweet, sweet book with beautiful pictures. Also holds a nice lesson for kids - though I think most of my kinders were too young to really get the message (they got all caught up on other details of the book!).
Lisa
A boy that grows flowers on his body connects with a girl that grows a flower behind her ear. This strange story has a tenderness that draws in the reader. I recommend this to a older audience.
Emelda
Cute, quick story about a boy whose family is different, as is he- he grows flowers from his body at the full moon. A new girl comes to town, she's a little different too, it's a happy ending.
Christie Rice
I have learned from this book that all people are different on the outside and this shouldn't be a problem, because you should get to know someone from the inside out.
Stephanie Smoot
An adorable book on individuality that teaches kids to not be afraid to be themselves. Reminds me of another book I read that have a similar theme.
Lisa
A beautiful story about finding out that each of us is different, and what make us different is what makes us special.
This odd story is sure to gain attention from its readers. It is about a boy that grows flowers from his body.
Jo
Another beautiful kids book. Always makes me choke up a little. Beautiful message and lovely illustrations.
Joe Gardner
Could be used for discussions on why people are different and how they are and should be treated.
Jenny Forgay
I absolutely love the storyline. What a great book to use when uniting your class as a community.
Michelle
In this book a boy has flowers growing out of his body, and he strives for acceptance.
Brooke
May 02, 2010 Brooke added it
unique story about children finding acceptance. I would use of an older class
Kim
This book really touches my heart and my daughter also loves it.
Todd Baker
This could be used during a Science lesson about flowers or growing.
Charlotte
This wierd little story is about acceptance and friendship.
  • That Pesky Rat
  • The Real Thief
  • My Place
  • You're All My Favorites
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • The Night Pirates
  • Beegu
  • Clown
  • The Day the Babies Crawled Away
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Anno's Journey
  • Fox
  • The Three Robbers
  • Madlenka
  • The Hodgeheg (Puffin Modern Classics)
  • Linnea in Monet's Garden