Start by marking “The Boy Who Grew Flowers” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Grew Flowers

The Boy Who Grew Flowers

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Shunned at school because he sprouts flowers every full moon, Rink Bowagon makes a special pair of shoes for a classmate who is able to appreciate his unique abilities.
Published October 1st 2005 by Barefoot Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Grew Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Grew Flowers

Lauren
Think about the title of this book, The Boy Who Grew Flowers. This book is about a boy who is different than other children. How do you think he is different? (children might respond that maybe he liked to grow flowers in his garden) Well actually this boy grew flowers all over his body at certain times! How crazy would that be! What do you think his classmates thought of that and how would you react? Do you think he felt proud or embarrassed of his ability? What could help him feel better about ...more
Ivan
Dec 06, 2014 Ivan rated it really liked it
Lovely story - sweet and inspirational -wonderful illustrations. I have several children's books that I'm saving to my personal library - some classics, but mainly just books that have a great message.
Lexus Beedy
Feb 26, 2015 Lexus Beedy rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I really liked the mix of reality with fantasy in this book. While we are all different individuals, those are the qualities we should cherish and celebrate. As this book demonstrates that it is beautiful to be different, this is something many students can find relatable.

This book was Purpose:
This book would be appropriate for a read aloud for grade levels 1st-3rd grade.
I love the differences expressed in the Bowagons family. While this book contains many imaginary character
Gina
Dec 06, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
The Boy Who Grew Flowers is a story about a boy who grows flowers every full moon. Rink Bowagon had a family that was all a little different. In Rink's class is a girl named Angelina who loves flowers, but because Rink is also made fun of at school because of his strange family. Rink made Angelina shoes with flowers and asked her to the school dance, she said yes! After the dance Angelina witnessed the flowers growing from his head, but to Rink's surprise Angelina grows flowers that are right be ...more
Salsabrarian
Rink Bowagon and his unusual family are considered a strange "hotbed of exotic talents." Uncle Dud tames rattlesnakes, Rink's brothers are shape-shifters and Rink himself sprouts flowers out of his head during a full moon. (His mother cuts them off in the morning before school.) Rink keeps to himself at school and his classmates avoid him. Then Angelina is new to the school and Rink likes her right away but doesn't approach initially. Angelina is intrigued as well but the kids warn her to stay a ...more
Alicia
Nov 30, 2009 Alicia added it
I don't understand how this book got made. A boy who sprouts flowers? A girl who has one leg shorter than the other? I understand that kids should accept other kids with differences, but it's just too "out there" for me.
Nadine Jones
Dec 12, 2015 Nadine Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
One of the books listed in "1001 Children's Books"

Really weird. I appreciated it, but my older daughter was a little put-off by it, and my youngest was just too young at the time. Probably worth a re-read in a year.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

I loved this story. Rink is a member of an odd little family that all have special talents. Rink’s talent is the most special of all; during the full moon, he grows flowers all over his body. His mom would simply clip off the flowers the next morning and Rink would head off to school. One day, a new girl comes to town, Angelina Quiz, a girl in a family who are in the ballroom dancing business. Angelina has one leg that is shorter than the other. The story of how Rink and Angelin
Samantha Hagler
Feb 14, 2013 Samantha Hagler rated it really liked it
Shelves: being-yourself
Beautiful story! This book is about a young boy named Rink who lives with a family that has all sorts of unique talents, but to all the other townspeople they are just weird. No one at school talks to Rink and every night during a full moon, Rink sprouts flowers from his head. One day, a new girl named Angelina comes into Rink's class and she is a beautiful girl but has one leg shorter than the other. Many students ask the girl to the school dance but she refuses because of her leg. Rink uses hi ...more
Melissa
Jan 08, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
If I won the lottery I would buy this book for every person I know. I would give one to every school classroom in the land. I would put them in doctors' offices and business offices. I would put them in libraries and gyms. This story reached into my soul and hugged my heart until I shed tears of joy. This is one story I'll be happy to read over and over again!
Lacey Bolen
Feb 14, 2015 Lacey Bolen rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. The imaginative aspect of the story was much different than I expected. This book also tells a nice story about accepting others and their differences. There is a lot of strong vocab such as exotic, rumor, luminous, admire, marveled, and green thumb. This book could also go along with a lesson on kindness and acceptance for 2nd-3d grade.
Christine Kirk
Oct 13, 2014 Christine Kirk rated it it was amazing
This booked warmed my heart. What a wonderful little story and it is one that serves as a great jumping off point for so many worthy discussions with my kids. I can't say this about many children's books, I can't wait to read it again.
The Brothers
Jan 21, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
An odd boy (he sprouts flowers from his head every full moon) meets a new girl in his class one day who has one leg shorter than the other. He really likes her so he makes her shoes to even out the distance and they go dancing together.

Charming illustrations.
Michelle
Sep 05, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
A very nice book that teaches us we should accept others for who they are and what they can do.Everyone has different talents that should be appreciated.
Stacy
Nov 03, 2014 Stacy rated it it was amazing
I love the beauty and message in this book. What a wonderful way of showing that different is GREAT. Will read this to my kids over and over.
Molly
Sep 03, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it
Nice story about growing up with "different" talents and being appreciated for them. So simple and yet meaningful. Wonderful illustrations.
Mina Khan
Jan 04, 2016 Mina Khan rated it it was amazing
Surprising & sweet story about being different. The hero wins the girl by using his brains, hearts & skills. Great kids' read.
Sienna
Nov 13, 2014 Sienna rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. How sweet it is.
Eli For
Amy For
Apr 20, 2015 Amy For rated it it was amazing
Laurie
Feb 05, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it
I was excited when I first read about this book but it didn't live up to my expectations; it was a little too simplistic I thought. I'm not sure a young reader would get the point of the story without some adult input. I liked the illustrations. I may give this as a gift...
Maggie Burgess
Oct 03, 2013 Maggie Burgess rated it it was amazing
Really sweet book. I love that it shows that it's okay to reach out to the quiet kids, the kids off to the side, the kids that are a little different and may even have some rumors about their goofy family- and it's okay to reach out to them even if you're someone with a lot of friends! I also love the message of seeing a friend who may have a need, and finding a way to help them without having to ask or be prompted. Just overall a great story.
Tanya
My kids liked this book and I liked it a lot. It helps with one thinking about the theme of acceptance and it is reassuring about finding a friend one can count on, even if you don't fit the norm. The ending was especially sweet. We all think the title should be different though as it was as much about the new girl that arrived at class as it was him (and his different family). The illustrations were great!
Linda
Nov 16, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
So beautifully illustrated in capturing the whimsical & 'different' world of the children and their families. The 'accepting our differences' message is clear, but not trivialised so I would like to read this with my kids.

Problem is, I can't find any local library that has it on their shelves - I only found it by chance in a groovy little bookshop.

One library request form - heading their way!
Cindy
Dec 22, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A magical story about an unusual boy who meets the perfect unusual girl. Together the turn lonesome mountain into Sweet Blossom Hill. The illustrations are so evocative, and the story, so unusual and effective at reminding people that every single person is quirky AND deserving of kindness!
May 02, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to use when talking about differences that people have. It is a story about a boy who grows flowers out of from his body when he is exposed to moonlight. He meets a girl with a special quality herself. Great for talking about friendships as well.
Donna-Lee
Jan 21, 2010 Donna-Lee rated it it was amazing
This is a heartwarming tale about a boy and a girl that have to deal with their own differences. In this story, one of the main characters has a real life physical disability.

Christine
Aug 27, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
I am beginning the school year with this book! I love the message of celebrating differences (subtle ways are great!) that the book offers. This year, I begin with a number of stories that center around creating community in the classroom.
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Beegu
  • The Day the Babies Crawled Away
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • The Three Robbers
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Dailan Kifki