Start by marking “Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)” as Want to Read:
Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)

Five Run Away Together (Famous Five #3)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,873 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
Who's been on George's island? And what is locked in the mysterious trunk hidden on Kirrin Island? The Famous Five think they're on the trail of smugglers - until they hear a child scream...
Published April 1st 1967 by Knight (first published 1944)

Grace Tjan

Jess, my 7-year old little girl, gives it 5 stars.

Comments while reading:

“I hate the Sticks! They are so nasty.”

“Why do English people have to have tea at 4 o’clock in the afternoon? Isn’t that too late? 4 o’clock is my nap time.”

“I hope Aunt Fanny will get better.”

“What is a ‘smuggler’? Why do people have to pay money to the government if they want to bring things from abroad?”

“What do gorse bushes and heathers look like?”

“Julian is the smartest but he likes to order the other kids around. He’s
V. Briceland
Jan 05, 2014 V. Briceland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this third volume of the Famous Five series, events start off on a horrid note as the children discover that the packets of sandwiches they have wheedled from the new kitchen lackey are not very nice—too stale, too thick, and worst of all, not enough butter! However, the narrative quickly recuperates as our four little gourmands (plus Timmy!) devour some delicious fresh-baked bread, cakes, all of a meat pie and several jam tarts, bread and ham and butter and 'stuff', a roast chicken, some fin ...more
Paul
Jan 19, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good entry in the Famous Five series. It's slightly darker than the first two books but nothing young children won't be able to cope with and enjoy.

What I particularly enjoyed was the twist at the beginning of act three. I didn't see it coming (apparently Sunshine Seaspray did but she's a bit of a smarty pants when it comes to that sort of thing).

Anyway, at book three in our twenty two book Famous Five marathon, I'm not getting bored of the series yet.

Buddy read with Sunshine S
Cleffairy
Jan 05, 2013 Cleffairy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed at: The Library of Lights

So, I’ve been making quite a long revisit to my childhood years and started to read Enid Blyton’s works again. ‘Five Run Away Together’ was an absolute favourite from my childhood years. I lost count how many times I’ve read this particular book, and re-reading it as an adult still does not bores me. ‘Five Run Away Together’ by Enid Blyton is an absolute escapism. Every kid, and kid at heart, should read this book. There is nothing not to like about this book. T
Zoltan Abbott
May 01, 2012 Zoltan Abbott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Five Run Away Together’ by Enid Blyton is the third in her twenty-one strong series of ‘Famous Five’ books.
Brothers Julian and Dick, their sister Anne and their cousin George (who is a girl but never answers to Georgina and can do anything as well as any boy can) plus of course Timmy the dog are together once again in the summer holidays after coming home from boarding school. George’s mother is ill and her father goes to spend time with her, leaving the children in the ‘care’ of Mr and Mrs Sti
Jenny George
Jun 02, 2016 Jenny George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-have
What a thrilling, beautiful,light read! I disliked Anne for being such a baby sometimes, but it was she who put the pieces together!

(view spoiler)
John
As with all Famous Five books, this is of the same trusted and successful formula.

I loved these books as a child and I am delighted that my girls loved them as children too.

The stories are adventures of a byegone age, yet still hold the attention of children, around the world...... they have stood the test of time well - and for a great reason.

The stories are plausible, fun, adventurous and contain an excellent mix of young characters... with a little bit of everyone in each of them - something
Sunshine
Jan 10, 2016 Sunshine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Such fun to be with The Famous Five again, they REALLY ARE good old sticks!
Ben
Feb 12, 2016 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Investigation series everyone should read
Dani Noviandi
Buku ketiga dari seri Lima Sekawan ini kembali berlatar belakang musim panas, namun kali ini telah satu tahun berlalu semenjak anak-anak ini bertemu pertama kalinya di musim panas lalu dan mengalami petualangan seru di Pulau Kirrin. Anak-anak pun mulai beranjak dewasa dibanding ketika pertama kali bertemu.

Liburan musim panas kelima sekawan ini masih mereka habiskan di Pondok Kirrin, walaupun dengan kabar yang agak kurang menyenangkan akibat bibi Fanny (ibu dari George) sedang sakit dan Joanna,
David Sarkies
Apr 27, 2015 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: adventure
An adventure involving custom duties
24 August 2012

I will have to say that I quite enjoyed this book, especially with the nice little twist at the end. Okay, when I was a pre-teen I pretty much read all of the Famous Five books (I have to watch out because I almost wrote that in German) and loved them. In fact I couldn't get enough of them and even jumped over to the Secret Seven when there were no more Famous Five books to read. However it just did not seem to be the same. Later on, there are c
John
May 12, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- FAMOUS FIVE 2012: CHILDHOOD REVISITED -

Book three: Five Run Away Together

And then it got serious.

If memory serves, "Five Run Away Together" is the second book I got in the collection, and probably the second most read. A correlation isn't obvious; it isn't because I had it before most others that I read it more, but rather and simply because it is better.

Taking a darker turn, this book is, in my humble but always accurate opinion, one of the best in the series. It marks the first moment when t
Roanna
Jul 30, 2015 Roanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS PRETTY MUCH ALL THAT I CAN THINK ABOUT!

They got a loaf of new bread, some cold ham, a few tomatoes and a pot of jam. Anne found knives and forks and plates. Julian opened two bottles of ginger-beer.

They had a fine breakfast of tongue, tinned peaches, bread and butter, golden syrup and ginger-beer.

Anne had opened a tin of salmon, two tins of peaches, a tin of milk, cut some bread and butter, and made a big jug of cocoa.

Ningtoutao
Apr 10, 2011 Ningtoutao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was in school. Grew up reading Famous Five when I was young - with their bike trips, camping holidays and escapes to the sea - loved it.
The reason I picked this up again was because I was quite weary of the serious books I had been reading recently. Nothing like a simple Famous Five book.
This one features the four kids Julian, George, Dick and Anne and their dog, Timmy escape from their home which currently was under the control of horrid housekeepers. They go off to Kirrin I
Michael
Jul 28, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-children, 2015
The main memory I have of reading this one as little boy was that I learnt the word 'larder'. The larder figures large. Really this book should be called 'Famous Five scoff the lot.'
Elizabeth
We finished reading this, this evening. My daughter loved it and insisted we give it 5 stars!

I don't remember reading this one when I was a child, so had no idea where the story was heading. I did wonder whether a tale of a little girl being kidnapped and locked in a dungeon might be a little upsetting for her, but it wasn't.

I'm enjoying re-reading (and reading for the first time) this series. The main plots are exciting, but perhaps some of the stereotyping of roles for the boys and girls come
Rohan
Nov 25, 2007 Rohan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am simply obesssesed with any Enid Blyton book.

It starts with George's mother getting sick so George's aprents leave her and gher cousin and go to a hospital which is very far.So george and his cousins are under the care of A family named Stick.But the Stick's are very cruel and starve the children so they decide to run away and go to the Kirrin island owned by George.So they are living over there when they find that the Stick's have also come over there and are living over there for some reas
Pata
Dec 26, 2015 Pata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mucho mejor que el anterior, y aquí Quintín hasta me ha caído bien.
Ophelia.Desdemona
I can't stop reading these now :-)
Vrinda Rana
EagleOverTheSea
Ahhhh! Enid Blyton! Every food-loving kid's favourite author.

The Famous Five adventures are most notable for the significant lack of an adult supervisory presence and the veritable feasts (of simple ingredients) the kids treat themselves to atleast 5 times during the course of each book. And they often do their own cooking, usually over a camp fire. These four kids and their dog probably had every child's dream vacation.....21 times! Talk about luck!

Of course she is getting tough competition in
Lisa
Dec 24, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read the Famous Five series, but I was about eight at the time so I'm reading them again! They're by Enid Blyton, a national institution in the UK, who prodigiously wrote children's books, most famously the eponymous Famous Five.

This is book three of 21, and as usual deals with Kirrin Cottage and Kirrin Island and Timmy (the dog, and he's the 5th) as well as Anne, Dick, and Julian, as well as their cousin George (Georgina).

It's a bit hard to encapsulate what makes these books so fun - they'
Richard Ward
Jan 12, 2015 Richard Ward rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: noone
The Famous Five, sometimes called England's answer to Hardy Boys/Nance Drew, always remind me more of Scooby-Doo. This is the first book of the series in which I disliked the children (I still liked the dog). I thought they were rude, arrogant, and even downright abusive toward the book's other characters. Granted, the antagonists were, too, but still. There's a boy with no friends whom the Famous Five could have at least attempted to befriend, but they just call him hurtful names instead. When ...more
Elizabeth
I definitely don't like this one nearly as much as the first two. Julian gets pretty mean and I felt pretty sorry for Edgar and his dog. There's also not much action and the back cover gives away something that doesn't even happen until almost the end of the book. The kids liked it well enough though (although they thought Julian was a bit mean but they liked the Sticks getting yheir come uppance so perhaps I enjoyed this more as a kid too)
Nicky Westbury
Oct 28, 2015 Nicky Westbury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 8 year old and I really enjoyed reading this together. The language and bluntness of the characters had us laughing, and he was absolutely hooked on the storyline. Still a good read all these years later.
Carina
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the previous two, I think because this book really requires a larger suspension of belief than the earlier books.

However I remember really enjoying this as a child, the idea of spending the week on a deserted island with rabbits and the sea, rock pools, a beautiful view... it all strikes the imagination!
Chantal
Even though I later read her bio, to find out she was a racist towards blacks, and a mean estranged woman, wife and mother. Aside from this hateful strange nature, she managed to write lovely children books.
If anything, I'd say her books influenced me heavily as a kid - searching endlessly for fairies with my childhood bestfriend, imagining myself whisked away to a magical land, pretending my toys spoke, going on adventures with my group of childhood friends, solving "mysteries" as we rode thro
Manashwi Banerjee
Assured joy..revisited!
Morgan Harrison
Feb 18, 2012 Morgan Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book not to ruin it for anyone is when george mum gets sick and she is in hospital and they arrange a new cook who has a son and she is very mean and they run away from them i won't tell u the rest unless u want me to.
Alex Poovathingal
Jun 04, 2013 Alex Poovathingal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mysterious uninhabited island with a destroyed castle, eerie dungeon and a ship-wreak. The story of how a few children and a dog catch the villains. The magical writing by Enid Blyton. The recipe for the perfect book.
Goodreads Feedback: One of my reviews has gone missing 7 67 Nov 14, 2011 07:29PM
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • Lima Sekawan: Menaklukkan Agen Rahasia (2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • Uma Aventura no Teatro
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Dog (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #23)
  • The Naughtiest Girl Wants to Win (The Naughtiest Girl, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • O Olhar do Dragão
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

Famous Five (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan (Famous Five, #5)
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)
  • Five Have a Wonderful Time (Famous Five, #11)

“It was such a lovely day too, and the sky and sea were so blue. They sat eating and drinking, gazing out to sea, watching the waves break into spray over the rocks beyond the old wreck.” 4 likes
“washed for even longer” 0 likes