Start by marking “A Really Nice Prom Mess” as Want to Read:
A Really Nice Prom Mess

A Really Nice Prom Mess

Well, in summary, your fake date's in the bathroom with a hangover and a crispy hairdo, while my fake date is out wandering the Willard, searching for his heterosexuality or something.

High school senior Cameron Hayes gets coerced into going to the prom with a girl, even though he'd rather be with his boyfriend. The evening goes from bad to worse when his fake date gets slo

Published May 17th 2005 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Really Nice Prom Mess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Really Nice Prom Mess

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyAristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenBoy Meets Boy by David LevithanCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best YA Fiction with GLBTQQI themes / characters
160th out of 1,092 books — 3,430 voters
Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth EulbergProm by Laurie Halse AndersonForever Princess by Meg CabotProm Nights from Hell by Meg CabotPrincess in Pink by Meg Cabot
YA Prom Books
24th out of 103 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
Feb 21, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
Cameron didn't want his prom to be this way. He just wanted to go with Shane, his boyfriend, and be able to dance with him and whatever else people do on their prom nights.

But Shane came up with a plan for their prom night, since no one else, besides Jane, Shane's best friend, knew they were gay. They would go with dates, but stick together. Shane goes with Jane, and Cameron goes with Jane's friend, Virginia.

Cameron didn't know that his prom night would lead to breaking up with his boyfriend, bu
Conner
Sep 07, 2016 Conner rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, lgbt
2.5 stars.
This book suffered from the same pitfalls that are found pretty much across the board in young adult books, namely pretentious writing and cliched characterization. It was occasionally funny but not enough to make up for all the jokes that didn't work, and its attempts to make any emotional impact fell decidedly flat. The only two interesting characters (Jane & Virginia) were just support characters so they didn't get much screen time, just popped in and out whenever it was their t
Cel
Jun 15, 2008 Cel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
It's a hilariously funny read. I love the main character's voice. He's a snarky little bitch-queen and that saves the whole book, not that the plot needs saving. One just can't go at this book in a way expecting it to be realistic. The amount of pure coincidences in it is what makes it so hilarious, along with the gritty dialogue, the nice writing style and the characterization.
And when there's angst, it sure hits the solar plexus. And the heart, obviously. Because this book has lots of heart.
Jamie
Jun 25, 2009 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: real-life, 14-16, humor, lbgt
This book is a total, improbably rollicking blast. She's drunk, she's loud, she's Virginia.

the book also takes place in the DC suburbs, with lots of locations that we will recognize.

Not literary, but loads of fun.
Madison
Sep 21, 2009 Madison rated it it was amazing
Brian Sloan is hilarious...unfortunately, he's only written two books, this on being the better of the two.
Christian
Jan 10, 2009 Christian rated it liked it
This book has been sitting on my shelf for about a year. I had bought it while I was in San Fran on business, but then I didn't get to it while out of town, and it just didn't pull me in when I got back. Sometime during the last couple weeks, I came across a blog entry that actually made the book sound interesting, so I tried it again.

Initially, I wasn't digging the book. The action was rather blah and I wasn't overly fond of the protagonist's voice either. Fortunately, that all changed when Cam
Krystl Louwagie
Aug 22, 2010 Krystl Louwagie rated it liked it
Review from 2006:

Alrighty-I had to read this book for the GSA teenage group that talks with college kids who've read the same book group thing.

The set up is that a gay boy is going to prom with a girl he doesn't want to go with, but his boyfriend thinks it'd be cool because it's the only way they can kind of go to prom together by both going with girls and then both couples hanging out. Tons of things go wrong through-out the whole night-it's a bit unrealistic, but fun unrealistic, all the thing
Casey Carlisle
Feb 18, 2016 Casey Carlisle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbtqia, contemporary
Adding to my Contemporary and GLBT collection, I picked up this title because it looked like a sweet read – I have gotten over GLBT titles that don’t end in a positive light or are too depressive or melancholy… ‘A Really Nice Prom Mess’ definitely flies in the face of all that. This book surprised me. It is laugh-out-loud funny possessing a plethora of hi-jinx… there is boatloads of action too.

With colourful characters and Cam, our protagonists, inconvertible sense of satire I sped through this
Adeola
May 22, 2010 Adeola added it
Name: Adeola Adewale Hour: 5th

SSR: Book-A-Month

What month did you read this book for? April

Title: A Really Nice Prom Mess

Author: Brian Sloan

Date started/date completed: April 9/ April 24

Total Pages: 297

Rating of book (1-10): 9

Explain in detail why you gave this book the rating you did. I gave this book a rating of 9 because it wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read but I was very close to it. I liked this book because it focused on all of things that can go wrong at prom. It really reminded me of
Ashley
Jul 01, 2009 Ashley rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: NOBODY DON'T READ IT! WASTE OF TIME!
Recommended to Ashley by: NOBODY DON'T READ IT! WASTE OF TIME!
This book wasn't very good. Sure, it had some...funny parts but it was a little hard to keep up. It was just about a gay boy and his parents didn't know that he had a boyfriend so he had to go with a girl that found out that he was gay and his boyfriend didn't hang out with him at the prom so while he was with this one girl she told him some dude in the bathroom was selling drugs and she told him to go get some for them but the drugdealer was kinda gay and he was telling him that he was sexy and ...more
Holyfool
Sep 27, 2009 Holyfool rated it liked it

Hopefully this book will turn into a movie, it was written for one. It dragged in different parts making me wish for dialogue and more reactions. The main character own tale was his own unfilled fantasy continually, it didn't bother me, but it many points became overwhelming.

Sloan, somehow got to balance his prose, from a emotional- frustrated -immature-insecured main character: Cameron to the vixen of an over grow big mouth teenage woman: Virginia and everything in between.
The book contains en
Brenna
Feb 21, 2014 Brenna rated it it was ok
Mehhhh ok. This had some potential but of course that just means it's not up to par with what I want. It did make me laugh out loud a few times and then skip chunks in others 'cause holy eff is this thing long.

And not long as in it has so much detail. But in just excess book 'fluff'. It just needs some major editing. Also it kind of comes off as screenplay-y to me. I would much rather see this as a film than printed as a book. Because book wise it's not that great. But movie wise, it has a prett
Kerith
Jul 26, 2011 Kerith rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Oops, another prom story. Funny how completely random that was. I only read this because it took place in Washington, DC. What a treat to read a book set in my hometown rather than everlasting NYC or LA!
The story itself was a breathless tale of a prom, experienced by a teenaged boy who just wants to go with his boyfriend. This proves problematic since they are both closeted. Not for long...from the Willard Hotel to a seedy gay bar to the Constitution Gardens and so forth, we get to join the wild
Kimberly Polanco
Sep 19, 2008 Kimberly Polanco rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the Twilight Series
Recommended to Kimberly by: No one
A Really Nice Prom Mess is about a boy who is gay and is going out with the most popular kid who is gay also but nobody knows. On the day of the prom they both have girl dates instead of each other. One of them (the not popular one) gets high with the popular ones date. The not popular one goes with a british dude who sold them the drugs. They went to a gay club. They were in a speed chase. The two gay boys broke up but the not popular guy found another guy. This book was weird but it ...more
jess
Nov 25, 2015 jess rated it really liked it
[review written 2011]

I’ve also been wanting to read A Really Nice Prom Mess for a while. It was good. In fact, it was really good. It was funny, wild, and better than I thought it would be - usually I don’t take kindly to books such as these, especially with the word prom in the title.

One thing that could be improved on was the repeated use of “f-g” and the fact that Cam seemed to need to keep reminding us he was gay, even though half the things in the book happened because of that fact. Otherw
Stephen
When the closeted jock falls for the gangly yearbook editor they agree to keep their relationship a secret but when that secret includes double dating at their prestigous DC prep school prom things go epicley outta control. Mad cap zany fun ensues and you find yourself caring not only for the gangly hero of our story but pretty much all of the zany characters that get caught up in the maelstrom of the world's most convoluted and improbable prom story.
Valerie Valencia
Sep 13, 2014 Valerie Valencia rated it really liked it
some people may not agree with this book solely because it's in somewhat of shaming a gay boy in high school. You know the main character having to not be open about being gay, and his partner hiding as well, and just this big cherade being put on. but I found it very engaging as a reader. The theme and morals of the books is very distinct, and thou it may seem like there is no theme or moral in this book, but there is, and its very easy to relate even being heterosexual.
Aleixie
I felt like this book is aimed at a younger audience, but I still enjoyed it. It was witty, emotional, and easy to relate to. The main character was all sass. The plot was hectic and packed, with amusing twists. It was a great way to pass the time, as it was not that serious of a read and made laugh (which is always a plus).
Ms. K-M
Jul 30, 2008 Ms. K-M rated it liked it
Cameron is going to his senior prom with drop-dead gorgeous Virginia, and he's sure to be the envy of every other guy there. Problem is, he'd rather be going with his boyfriend Shane. Well, really, he'd rather not go at all. And that might have been the best plan. This is one prom Cameron will never forget--no matter how much he may wish he could.
Jeffrey
This book was just OK. I really ended up skipping quite a bit of the monologues that he wrote. I think it could have been more streamlined and "neat".

It was entertaining, but very unrealistic. All of those things would not happen to one person in a single night, and have it turn out as well as it did.
Levi Amichai
Jul 25, 2011 Levi Amichai rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who've exhausted the other gay-teen-book options
Recommended to Levi Amichai by: BookCrossing from SoHo Cafe
Shelves: humor, queer, young-adult
Eh. Mostly entertaining. Some events (car chases, strip club hijinx, very gullible police) were just completely unbelievable and threw me way out of the story. Feather-light; probably will soon forgot I ever read it.
Katie
Jun 29, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
The start of this novel wasn't very interesting, but I was curious, so I switched to some part of the middle. The pace picked up immediately. I think all of the events are completely unrealistic but interesting. Cameron was kind of annoying.
Tiff
May 10, 2015 Tiff rated it really liked it
Fairly entertaining. It was really a nice prom mess after all.

I am reminded that this was the first book I bought at National Bookstore during high school. I find it ironic to read this. I will not go into details, but me reading this has been amusing. Haha
Jostyn
Jan 11, 2012 Jostyn rated it liked it
Funny book. I was expecting something a little bit more relatable but it was and interesting read - many random/surprising events happen. Not the best book in the world, but still a fun book to read if you ever find yourself looking for one.
Rory
Jan 05, 2012 Rory rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books in a while by a screenwriter I loved... The characters are messed up, the story is over the top and foolish and it reads like an 80s movie filled with mistakes, characters to root for and against...

Plus a deaf go-go dancer. That right there is worth the price
Brian Centrone
It got off to a very, very, very slow start, but once it got going, I started to like it much better. Turned out to be a good read.
Joy
Nov 24, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Hilarious--couldn't be funnier. Would probably make an awesome movie, like a gay YA "Bachelor Party."
jabot Burton
May 28, 2013 jabot Burton rated it it was amazing
this book was one of the most emotionally crazy books ive ever read. i laughed so much i was crying, i felt so bad for him and yet i knew that shane wasn't good enough for him.
Wells
Mar 14, 2013 Wells rated it really liked it
I read this book for an English report, as a highschool student I fell in love with the plot, yes it's not the most believable but it was exciting and everything I wouldn't do!
Easter
Oct 14, 2012 Easter rated it really liked it
It was a fun read, filled with wild adventures and completely unrealistic. Still I stress the fun part of it all, as I feel that this book was never meant to change lives.
  • The Straight Road to Kylie