Start by marking “The Darkness on Diamondia” as Want to Read:
The Darkness on Diamondia

The Darkness on Diamondia

Colonel Morton was sent to Diamondia to report on the war between Earth-descended colonists and the guerilla warriors of the inhuman Irsk. Because something was going terribly wrong - a darkness was setting in, mental confusion was epidemic, and there was evidence of outside interference.
The Darkness was impartial, and Morton's encounters with it were the most disturbing e
Published April 1st 1982 by DAW (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkness on Diamondia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkness on Diamondia

Larry Wegman
May 17, 2017 Larry Wegman rated it did not like it
His later writings, including this one, just aren't as good as his earlier ones. In this one, human colonists and the native sentients are locked in a struggle, partially for territory, but mostly for the culture of their shared society. And there's a conscious magnetic field around the planet, which does weird stuff to both. And the attitude of human men toward women, while partially explained, is still just bizarre.
Denis
Mar 26, 2012 Denis rated it it was ok
Shelves: hardcover, special
I did not get this "later" van Vogt novel at all. Some time ago, I challenged myself to read all of his work. I've liked very much Beagle, Slan, Rogue Ship, Null-A, Thousand Names and many others in various degrees, but this one goes into the "I'm either to dense to understand what he is driving at or it is just a downright loopy book" category. Colossal was pretty bad, Renaissance was strange as... but I think this one takes the prize as most "what the..." book of his career.

The protagonist "Mo
Gerard
Oct 10, 2012 Gerard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: incorrigible Van Vogt enthusiasts, and those looking for a book to rewrite
Shelves: science-fiction
The following is LITERALLY written on the "teaser" page of the book:

------------------

THE DIAMONDIAN PUZZLE

Given the following statements as premises

(1) If Colonel Charles Morton and Lieutenant Lester Bray are both a park of the darkness, and Isolina Ferraris does take the road to Damascus, and the Lositeen Weapon is released, the the D.A.R. building will fight the darkness, and
(2) If Captain James Marriot is self-seeking, or if Major Luftelet successfully maintains his pride, then the D.A.R. bu
Mitch PITEO
Jul 15, 2008 Mitch PITEO rated it liked it
"most of the things that a syllogism could prove everybody knew. What it couldn't prove everybody knew too. So in ancient day learned men, having nothing else, used the method wherever it applied. Life was kind of simple. Grim but simple. And so the human brain bridged the gap wetween the system and the reality. The 'modern' logic that succeeded the syllogistic system in the 20th century was bravely named. Sort of like here, finally, is the truth.....only It wasn't. It was an either-or idea. Mos ...more
Bruce E.
Apr 05, 2012 Bruce E. rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc
Vaan Vogt sometimes serms obsessed with thought systems and logic structures. In this one, he uses something called "finite logic" to endow a character with abilitties beyond the mundane. I question whetherr this is aactually necessary am
nd whether the plot might be advanced in other ways. I find it mildlyy distracting to try to puzzle out the operating structure of "finite logic", null-A or what hhave you.
TrumanCoyote
Well, I suppose I followed about half of that...so I guess I'm doing pretty well for Van Vogt (lol). That goofy caveman thing with the women somehow reminded me of Barbara Luna in the "Spock's Beard" Star Trek...
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Science Fiction
John
Jun 01, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
1982 grade C-
Grey Stadds
Grey Stadds rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Panjumanju
Panjumanju rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2013
Corina Tusinean
Corina Tusinean rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Robert Runte
Robert Runte rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2012
Mike Sullivan
Mike Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Steve Batten
Steve Batten rated it liked it
May 01, 2015
David Minor
David Minor rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it did not like it
May 09, 2009
Andri
Andri rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Robert Hepple
Robert Hepple rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Eric Brun
Eric Brun rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Susan Striepe
Susan Striepe rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2008
Dave Bleasdale
Dave Bleasdale rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Ericb
Ericb rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Bruno
Bruno rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2017
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Sandro
Sandro rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2016
Glenn Nevill
Glenn Nevill rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Alfred Elton van Vogt was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century—the "Golden Age" of the genre.

van Vogt was born to Russian Mennonite family. Until he was four years old, van Vogt and his family spoke only a dialect of Low German in the home.

He began his writing career with 'true story' ro
More about A.E. van Vogt...