The Darkness on Diamondia

The Darkness on Diamondia

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Colonel Morton was sent to Diamondia to report on the war between Earth-descended colonists and the guerilla warriors of the inhuman Irsk. Because something was going terribly wrong - a darkness was setting in, mental confusion was epidemic, and there was evidence of outside interference.
The Darkness was impartial, and Morton's encounters with it were the most disturbing e...more
Published April 1st 1982 by DAW (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkness on Diamondia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkness on Diamondia

Denis
I did not get this "later" van Vogt novel at all. Some time ago, I challenged myself to read all of his work. I've liked very much Beagle, Slan, Rogue Ship, Null-A, Thousand Names and many others in various degrees, but this one goes into the "I'm either to dense to understand what he is driving at or it is just a downright loopy book" category. Colossal was pretty bad, Renaissance was strange as... but I think this one takes the prize as most "what the..." book of his career.

The protagonist "Mo...more
Mitch PITEO
"most of the things that a syllogism could prove everybody knew. What it couldn't prove everybody knew too. So in ancient day learned men, having nothing else, used the method wherever it applied. Life was kind of simple. Grim but simple. And so the human brain bridged the gap wetween the system and the reality. The 'modern' logic that succeeded the syllogistic system in the 20th century was bravely named. Sort of like here, finally, is the truth.....only It wasn't. It was an either-or idea. Mos...more
Gerald
Oct 13, 2012 Gerald rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: incorrigible Van Vogt enthusiasts, and those looking for a book to rewrite
Shelves: science-fiction
The following is LITERALLY written on the "teaser" page of the book:

------------------

THE DIAMONDIAN PUZZLE

Given the following statements as premises

(1) If Colonel Charles Morton and Lieutenant Lester Bray are both a park of the darkness, and Isolina Ferraris does take the road to Damascus, and the Lositeen Weapon is released, the the D.A.R. building will fight the darkness, and
(2) If Captain James Marriot is self-seeking, or if Major Luftelet successfully maintains his pride, then the D.A.R. bu...more
Bruce E.
Vaan Vogt sometimes serms obsessed with thought systems and logic structures. In this one, he uses something called "finite logic" to endow a character with abilitties beyond the mundane. I question whetherr this is aactually necessary am
nd whether the plot might be advanced in other ways. I find it mildlyy distracting to try to puzzle out the operating structure of "finite logic", null-A or what hhave you.
TrumanCoyote
Well, I suppose I followed about half of that...so I guess I'm doing pretty well for Van Vogt (lol). That goofy caveman thing with the women somehow reminded me of Barbara Luna in the "Spock's Beard" Star Trek...
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Science Fiction
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 01, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Demian
Demian added it
Jul 27, 2014
Andre
Andre added it
Jul 11, 2014
Marta Okońska
Marta Okońska marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
John
John added it
May 18, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Pierre
Pierre marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alfred Elton van Vogt was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century—the "Golden Age" of the genre.

van Vogt was born to Russian Mennonite family. Until he was four years old, van Vogt and his family spoke only a dialect of Low German in the home.

He began his writing career with 'true story' ro...more
More about A.E. van Vogt...
The Weapon Shops of Isher The World of Null-A Slan (Slan, #1) The Voyage of the Space Beagle The Weapon Makers