Start by marking “The Darkness on Diamondia” as Want to Read:
The Darkness on Diamondia

The Darkness on Diamondia

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Colonel Morton was sent to Diamondia to report on the war between Earth-descended colonists and the guerilla warriors of the inhuman Irsk. Because something was going terribly wrong - a darkness was setting in, mental confusion was epidemic, and there was evidence of outside interference.
The Darkness was impartial, and Morton's encounters with it were the most disturbing e
Published April 1st 1982 by DAW (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkness on Diamondia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkness on Diamondia

Denis
I did not get this "later" van Vogt novel at all. Some time ago, I challenged myself to read all of his work. I've liked very much Beagle, Slan, Rogue Ship, Null-A, Thousand Names and many others in various degrees, but this one goes into the "I'm either to dense to understand what he is driving at or it is just a downright loopy book" category. Colossal was pretty bad, Renaissance was strange as... but I think this one takes the prize as most "what the..." book of his career.

The protagonist "Mo
Mitch PITEO
"most of the things that a syllogism could prove everybody knew. What it couldn't prove everybody knew too. So in ancient day learned men, having nothing else, used the method wherever it applied. Life was kind of simple. Grim but simple. And so the human brain bridged the gap wetween the system and the reality. The 'modern' logic that succeeded the syllogistic system in the 20th century was bravely named. Sort of like here, finally, is the truth.....only It wasn't. It was an either-or idea. Mos ...more
Gerald
Oct 13, 2012 Gerald rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: incorrigible Van Vogt enthusiasts, and those looking for a book to rewrite
Shelves: science-fiction
The following is LITERALLY written on the "teaser" page of the book:

------------------

THE DIAMONDIAN PUZZLE

Given the following statements as premises

(1) If Colonel Charles Morton and Lieutenant Lester Bray are both a park of the darkness, and Isolina Ferraris does take the road to Damascus, and the Lositeen Weapon is released, the the D.A.R. building will fight the darkness, and
(2) If Captain James Marriot is self-seeking, or if Major Luftelet successfully maintains his pride, then the D.A.R. bu
John
Jun 01, 2015 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
1982 grade C-
Bruce E.
Vaan Vogt sometimes serms obsessed with thought systems and logic structures. In this one, he uses something called "finite logic" to endow a character with abilitties beyond the mundane. I question whetherr this is aactually necessary am
nd whether the plot might be advanced in other ways. I find it mildlyy distracting to try to puzzle out the operating structure of "finite logic", null-A or what hhave you.
TrumanCoyote
Well, I suppose I followed about half of that...so I guess I'm doing pretty well for Van Vogt (lol). That goofy caveman thing with the women somehow reminded me of Barbara Luna in the "Spock's Beard" Star Trek...
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Science Fiction
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Ev Richo
Ev Richo marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Jun 05, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Clay Jordan
Clay Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Chiaralletti
Chiaralletti marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Zach
Zach added it
Jan 11, 2015
Rotuma
Rotuma marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Spino
Spino marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Stephen Gilman
Stephen Gilman marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Kris
Kris added it
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alfred Elton van Vogt was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century—the "Golden Age" of the genre.

van Vogt was born to Russian Mennonite family. Until he was four years old, van Vogt and his family spoke only a dialect of Low German in the home.

He began his writing career with 'true story' ro
More about A.E. van Vogt...
The Weapon Shops of Isher The World of Null-A Slan (Slan, #1) The Voyage of the Space Beagle The Weapon Makers