Start by marking “The Striker Portfolio” as Want to Read:
The Striker Portfolio

The Striker Portfolio (Quiller #3)

"The fly fell down." Quiller sent the message off to London as requested. He had just seen a supersonic jet plunge 60,000 feet to its destruction. It was the 36th crash, and more were to come--unless Quiller finds out who is to blame.

That meant entering the deadly shadow world between East and West, where the name of the game was betrayal and the stakes were sky-high.

"If y

Mass Market Paperback, 241 pages
Published June 1993 by HarperPrism (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Striker Portfolio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Striker Portfolio

Feliks
Apr 26, 2013 Feliks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-thrillers
Cracking good so far. As always, with Adam Hall. Quiller is as tough as a tungsten railroad spike! The character is just out there. No savings, no dependents, no next-of-kin. Apparently he was forced to hone his survival skills to a pitch in WWII and now gets restless when he isn't involved in some kind of threat or challenge. Addicted to action. Like a shark that can't sleep because it has to stay moving.

This particular adventure helps to solidify Quiller's traits and habits; the mystery itsel
stormhawk
Feb 10, 2009 stormhawk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
I am ever so grateful that I accidentally discovered Quiller late one night in the 70s ... a British TV show, starring Michael Jayston, introduced me to an entirely different kind of spy, and thanks to my local library, I was able to start following his adventures. Over the years I've managed to chase down new and used copies of Adam Hall's books, and have never been disappointed, which is something I rarely say about any author, much less one as prolific as Hall.

Planes are dropping out of the
Ape
Ok, so it didn’t look promising… a 25p second hand book, printed in the 70s with a terrible cover – the guy “jumping from danger” looks like a daddy-dancer if I ever saw one. And it’s a BBC tv series according to the book cover, which makes you think it must be a tv tie in and therefore a bit rubbish. I’ve never heard of the tv series or this book series, Quiller before.

It was actually quite a surprise! It was a pretty good spy story. It’s set in the late 60s in West Germany and it’s about a spy
Anna
Aug 26, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Quiller is sent to find out why the "Striker" military planes are crashing regularly all over West Germany, who is behind it and why. Then if he can put a stop to it. This is the third Quller book by Adam Hall and the fifth or sixth I have read but the first review I have written on Goodreads.
If you like spy thrillers, even a little, you should read Adam Hall's Quiller books. Quiller gets the job done without guns or gadgets just a lot of know-how and daring. The action scenes are truly marvelo
Larry
Sep 12, 2009 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three dozen state-of-the-art German jet fighters have crashed. Quiller, one of the ferrets for the Bureau, Britain's secret intelligence agency (the one that gets to act decisively) goes into the field to find out why. When a contact commits suicide under suspicious circumstances, Quiller's director instructs Q to "get in the way" of the group responsible for both the crashes and the murder. Quiller does so with his customary skill, and is soon the target of the opposition group--an interest tha ...more
Terry Gallagher
Mar 02, 2012 Terry Gallagher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going through the reading list I put together as a sidebar to a feature story I wrote more than twenty years ago about a prof who taught a course in espionage fiction. This book wasn't on that list, but the author, pen-named Adam Hall, was. Hall created Quiller, the "shadow executive" featured in about a dozen novels and the memorable film, "The Quiller Memorandum." I'm going to see if I can track that DVD down at my library: script by Harold Pinter, starring George Segal, Max von Sydow, Sen ...more
cool breeze
Oct 02, 2015 cool breeze rated it liked it
Quiller in Germany investigating a series of fighter plane crashes. Not as many plot twists as usual, or as much action, or even a particularly interesting story line, so only 3.5 stars. It does have a gruesomely well rendered torture chapter.
Beej
Dec 05, 2013 Beej rated it really liked it
Published 1968, a cold war spy thriller with a nicely irreverent hero, car chases and includes lots of tips and tricks for the wannabe secret agent. Don't read it for the premise or the resolution of the mystery, but for the fun journey of saving East and West Germany from themselves.
Kdfrawg
Jul 22, 2010 Kdfrawg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See my notes under "The Quiller Memorandum"
Anne
Aug 29, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
You can't read a Quiller when you're tired; it'd be like walking out of the room for a snack during the movie 'Memento'. But it was SO nice to be back in the Cold War for just a little while....
Larry Loftis
Aug 05, 2013 Larry Loftis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Elleston Trevor (Adam Hall) ... great mystery, pace, tight prose, spycraft, etc. The ending was a bit weak, however (otherwise 5 stars).
Karen
Quiller in Germany.
Andy Lawless
Andy Lawless rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Wt Gray
Wt Gray rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013
David Rose
David Rose rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Alan Marston
Alan Marston rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Rand
Rand rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
May 14, 2012
Eric Austrew
Eric Austrew rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2008
Lobus
Lobus rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Karen E.
Karen E. rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2008
Stevie Ward
Stevie Ward rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Dennis Clements
Dennis Clements rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2011
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Don Thompson
Don Thompson rated it liked it
May 05, 2014
Judi
Judi rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
Dan Perez
Dan Perez rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Charlie M (Charlie Muffin, #1)
  • The November Man (November Man #1)
  • While Still We Live
  • The Pillars of Solomon (Ben Kamal and Danielle Barnea, #2)
  • The Poisoners (Matt Helm, #13)
  • The Spoilers
  • Suspicious Origin
  • The Prosecution
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • Horse Under Water
  • Within Reach
  • Once a Spy
Author also wrote as Elleston Trevor.

Author Trevor Dudley-Smith was born in Kent, England on February 17, 1920. He attended Yardley Court Preparatory School and Sevenoaks School. During World War II, he served in the Royal Air Force as a flight engineer. After the war, he started writing full-time. He lived in Spain and France before moving to the United States and settling in Phoenix, Arizona. In
More about Adam Hall...

Quiller (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • Ninth Directive
  • The Warsaw Document
  • Tango Briefing
  • The Mandarin Cypher
  • The Kobra Manifesto (Quiller Series)
  • The Sinkiang Executive