Start by marking “Legion” as Want to Read:
Legion

Legion (The Horus Heresy #7)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,980 ratings  ·  114 reviews
A Great War is coming, and it will engulf the Imperium of Man. The Space Marines of the Alpha Legion, the last and most secretive of all the Astartes brotherhoods, arrive on a heathen world to support the Imperial Army in a pacification campaign against strange and uncanny forces. But what drives the Alpha Legion? Can they be trusted, and what side will they choose when th ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Games Workshop (first published March 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legion

Robert
Just when it seemed as if the Horus Heresy series was about to go off the rails, Dan Abnett produces not only the best Heresy novel to date but possibly the best Black Library book, period.
For Abnett fans there are a few of his conventions present and correct: Action seen through the eyes of (relatively) ordinary humans, a focus on character at the expense of action and the odd jaw-dropping twist here and there. Abnett has clearly been wanting to write a James Bond-ish character into Warhammer 4
V_Shaft
This Warhammer 40K novel, the seventh installment of the Horus Heresy series, deals with the Alpha Legion. It was penned by Black Library's best-selling author and arguably the most talented (I say 'arguably' because there are other amazing authors in the BL ranks who are overlooked). Whatever the case, I expected from "Legion" to be nothing short of amazing.

A 'compliance' undertaking ('compliance' being an euphemism for 'invasion') by the 670th Imperial Expedition on a backwater planet called N
Brian
Fast-paced, full of intrigue and a great cast of characters. Abnett does an amazing job in this novel with all aspects. The Nurthene were a great enemy and the mysterious Cabal an interesting addition to the 40K mythology. Great book can't wait for the events of the Heresy to come to its epic climax. Terra beware.
Richard Stuart
I like Alpha Legion because they do things differently... it is what I enjoy so much from the Series in general: its diversity. All the legions with there own lore and ways of doing things, some getting along famously and others infamously; all the while the Emperor holding it all together.
I understand the decision was a devastating one to make and really, no one should ever have to choose something like that, but I'm not sure I would have made the same choice. Fate is made up of trillions upon
Adrian Ayala
WOOOOOW! Dan Abnett did it again. What an amazing read that will cast questions regarding what had occurred throughout the Heresy and what continues on in the 40K millenium. Alpharius Omegon and the Alpha Legion are probably my most favorite of the Primarchs and Legions.

If you're in such of a weekend read and you don't mind jumping into a universe that you have no idea about, BUT you just want to read then I would highly recommend this to you.

With that said, I will not be continuing on with the
Lord Nouda
Legion is without a doubt, the best book in the Warhammer 40k universe. The story is told from the viewpoints of mere mortals; primarily that of the genetically modified soldiers of the Geno Five-Two Chiliad, who are deep in the middle of a war with the human Nurthene. Little do they know that their struggles are being subtly manipulated by shadowy forces waging a proxy war involving powers beyond their knowledge and comprehension.

Most of the story details the struggle of the Cabal, a conglomera
Chidi Okonkwo
In my opinion, this dynamic book is more like a sci fi thriller than anything else. It delivers on all fronts, and the veteran storyteller does not disappoint. With vivid detailed scenery and intense battle descriptions, loads of intrigue, explosive action scenes and a truly unpredictable plot, Dan Abnett really sets the stage for the entire epic Horus series, giving the readers a glimpse of things to come!

While focusing on the Astartes of the Alpha Legion, The mystery of the genetically enhance
Fabian Scherschel
I really liked this one. Great Warhammer 40K book. Not so much of a Space Marine novel, though. It's more of an Imperial Army (ie. Imperial Guard) story. While the book is nominally about the Alpha Legion, they feature more on the sidelines and the whole book is told from the viewpoint of Army personnel. I enjoyed the John Grammaticus character a lot. I hope we get to see him again...

The plot is pretty cool as well. One think I didn't like was two places where it seems like there is part of the
Steve
Good addition to the Horus Heresy series by Dan Abnett. We are introduced to the Alpha Legion, the last legion and primach created by the Emperor through his genetic program. The book also brings the xenoform/alien group The Cabal into the series as a possible allie to those fighting Chaos.

As usual Abnett brings in new characters and gives them such depth that even after a few pages you feel compassion or dislike for them. Sometimes you find your opinions of the character changing as Abnett reve
Matias
In the story, mainly you'll be following humans, which is exactly the perspective Alpha Legion story should be told: "through an outsiders eyes".

Alpha Legion has many layers of secrecy inside its plans and everything one might think to know of them is only something they want that someone to know. You are in the position who is fooled and have to find your way towards the truth. It is not hard because the story tells parts of the "truth" from time to time and the conclusion at the end is somethi
Vince Tirri
This may be my new favorite Horus Heresy book. Dan Abnett does a great job writing a sci-fi/mystery hybrid installment in this series. Having not known much of the pre-existing fluff about the Alpha Legion, this book was great for background, and the payoff is a total game changer. Additionally, kudos to Dan for actually writing humans that you don't want to straight up murder. This may be the first novel in this series where I wasn't hoping every human would be killed off. The human side of the ...more
Nick
This is a very frustrating book. The Alpha Legion, who the book is about, tend to lurk in the shadows and only appear for extended periods as the book goes on. The problem with this is that the author focuses his attention on something called the "Geno Five-Two Chiliad", which has a trillion new, confusing words, names, and concepts. I knew just flipping through the Dramatis Personae section at the front of the book this was going to be trouble. What do you do with names like:

Sri Vedt - Uxor Pri
Robert Mccarroll
Having finished Legion, I realized I could have left most of my original remarks without losing accuracy. The book itself has a structural problem, it feels like two books grafted together. As if the substantially weaker sequel was appended to the end of the first book. The high point of Legion was the end of Part 1, and even then the climactic elements were removed. Part 2 had more Alpha legion, but was of substantially lower quality.

It may seem like I'm picking on Dan Abnett in these Horus Her
Benjamin
This is probably my favorite of the Horus Heresy series so far. Maybe because I liked the characters so much more than many of the others in the series, and maybe because there was more intrigue and twists in the storyline. There were some plot holes that glared out through the narrative, but that was forgiveable in the overall pace of the storyline, and the characters were likeable enough to make me see past it.

Grammaticus was a great character that worked on so many levels. I hope they bring
Tom Fredricks
The Space Marine legion involved in this book is the mysterious Alpha legion who are apparently masters of intrigue and unconventional warfare. The story is told not told from their point of view, but from the viewpoint of various Imperial Army personnel. Leaving their point of view out helped keep them mysterious and I thought was a wise choice. Kind of like Gandalf in the Hobbit. You never really knew what he was up to when he took off or what exactly he was capable of in general. Sometimes sh ...more
Dylan Murphy
Legion. Oh goodness, my first truly new Horus Heresy novel in over 2 years, and it could not have been better.
I honestly can't say enough good things about this novel. The Imperial Army was amazing, the adventures and exploits of the troopers was tremendous fun to read, and I absolutely loved that the Imperial Army troopers did genuinely have their own order and culture despite being in the Imperium.
I was a little confused by the whole Het, Uxor, etc. deal at first, but all of the characters wer
Andy
This is a somewhat different approach to the Horus saga, as it focuses primarily on the Imperial army and what the reader would consider "normal" humans (as normal as humans of today could seem 30000 years in the future in regions far from here). The typical Emperor Astartes Legion is in more of a support role in this novel, and it took me about half of the book to adjust my thinking along those lines as the first six books was more of Legions' adventures literally thrown right in one's face. Th ...more
Theigel69
'Legion' ist Dan Abnetts zweiter Band in der 'Horus Heresy' Reihe. Diesmal geht es um die Alpha Legion vor dem Bruderkrieg. Durch die Handlung führt diesmal kein Space Marine, sondern einige Imperiale Soldaten und ein Geheimagent von einer bis zum Schluss noch unbekannten Organisation. Wie in dieser Reihe üblich, weiß man zu keinem Zeitpunkt welcher der handelnden Personen das Buch überlebt und wer im nächsten Kapitel das Zeitliche segnet. In Legion scheint dieser Aspekt noch stärker hervorzutre ...more
Daniel Stewart
Let me honest here: I'm a fan of Dan Abnett, though I haven't read his work in order. Perhaps he was still finding his feet when he wrote this, because it feels like an entirely different author. An author who doesn't know what he's doing. Let's keep this short:

--THE GOOD--

1. The Alpha Legion is an automatic plus, being one of the most enigmatic legions in 40k lore. The general helpless feel of the book does well to try to convince us of the reason the Alpha Legion changes allegiances, though fa
Michael
This seventh book in the Horus Heresy series does not move the overall plot of the Heresy forward. However, it does come in laterally to the plot bringing the Alpha Legion into the story. The primary story is that of the Imperial Army's campaign to bring the planet Nurth into compliance with the Imperial Will. Dan Abnett does a good job of presenting a new style and new face of the Imperial Army. This is not the Imperial Guard of the Gaunt series of books. Abnett's Imperial Army has it's roots i ...more
Rey Mysterioso
I'm really intrigued here.

I know it won't pan out. Honestly, this book happens 10,000 years ago from the current era of the mythos, and we all know what the Alpha Legion truly is at this point.

But this was really interesting. Chaos calls their jihad the Long War. But it seems the Alpha Legion went into it playing an even LONGER war. They were given a glimpse of tomorrow, and planned a course they thought the Emperor would want them to undertake. Its pretty mind-blowing.

Of course, history seems t
Emil Söderman
Unlike the other novels in the Heresy, that feature Space Marines as protagonists, Legion largely focuses on "ordinary" humans: Various imperial army personnel caught in a backwater war on a backwater planet, as well as an agent of a secretive alien organization known as the Cabal, and their interactions with the Alpha Legion.

The result is... mixed. There are some genuinely good fight sequences, and John Grammaticus the Cabal agent is suitably interesting, but the manuevering and positioning fee
Critics Cabal
In the war torn future, it's enjoyable to partake in the game of espionage from time to time. Spies and deceit, winning through wits over brawn or firepower. Fine spy literature can be difficult to forget, although some of the tropes set by 007 are almost always guaranteed.

To read the rest of the review, click here!
Christian
Wow, great read. Just because everyone plays for the same team doesn't mean they are part of a great big happy family. The Emperor appears here in flashback and it's very telling to see him; about his arrogance and pragmatism. You would never expect it from a 40K novel but characters (not the Space Marines) actually have *gasp* sex! I think the Alpha Legion might be my new favorite Chaos Marine Legion. They remind me of how the CIA or NSA or other shadowy Illuminati group is except that they hav ...more
Keamy Loken
*There are spoilers but you won't get them until you read the book*
I finished reading Legion about 10 minutes ago I will probably edit this as time goes on.
Good read, decent characters and good plot slow in the beginning but picked up toward the rear (my friends on fb will get the rear comment my thanks to Guilliman you are awesome!:P) I was very upset with the way they ended John's relationship all though it demonstrated the Alpha Legion very well(that is where it lost the 5Th star) The end the
PsypherPunk
There seems to be a recurring pattern whenever I read one of the Heresy books: I spend a good few chapters wondering whether I'm going to enjoy it before getting hopelessly drawn in. With the Astartes very much in the background and a largely human cast all spitting unfamiliar lexicon about the place I couldn't help but feel I was missing something important (like a dictionary). Thankfully a timely info-dump arrived and I wasn't kept feeling too stupid for too long. Despite lacking the mythical ...more
Dimitrios
This novel got the 2 stars, just for the last 40 pages which i have to admit show Mr Abnett's genious.

If these pages where like the 350 previous ones it would have got 0 stars. I loved the series until Descent Of Angels. After reading that one, i started having misgivings and Legion did nothing to aleviate those.

I understand the secret nature of the Alpha Legion, but it was soooooo secret we did not see any Astartes in the book. Ok i exagerate but 320 pages where filled with the well-i have to a
Craig
Haven't read it yet, but the series is starting to concern me a little as the plot of the heresy does not move forward, and rather we relive the same few years from a steady flow of alternative viewpoints. Going from "AWESOME!" to interesting fast, and I'm hoping they start to pull it all back together. Starting with the big wigs and then wandering far afield might not ahve been the best structure, if this is where they wanted to go all along.

April 18, 2008
Finished it, and liked it A LOT. Added
Martin
"Legion features the Alpha Legion, the 20th and last to be formed Space Marine Legion, known as the most secretive, subtle, and inscrutable of them all; its deepest secret is the binary nature of its Primarch, who comprises the twins Alpharius and Omegon. The book also highlights the Imperium's mainstream military force, the Imperial Army, featuring several male and female officers and their units. Another important factor in the novel is the Cabal, a mysterious, ancient interspecies organisatio ...more
Marko
The sneaky brother shows his loyalites...

‘No one is enough of a fool to choose war instead of peace. In peace sons bury fathers, but in war fathers bury sons.’ — attributed to the chronicler Herodotus, fl. M0

‘War is simply the galaxy’s hygiene.’ — attributed to the Primarch Alpharius

‘Utopia is a dangerous myth,’ said Herzog, ‘and only a fool would chase it.’ ‘It is better to manage and maintain the flaws of man on an ongoing basis,’ said Pech.

‘We have come to appreciate that Utopian goals are ul
  • A Thousand Sons
  • Age of Darkness
  • Deliverance Lost
  • Descent of Angels
Horus Rising Eisenhorn (Eisenhorn, #1-3) First and Only The Founding Ravenor

“That's all you get," said Alpharius, and split him in half.
Alpharius sheathed his gladius, and dragged the sabre out of his torso. He tossed it away, and walked through the liter of bodies to where Namatjira was kneeling on the deck.
"Please! My lord primarch! Please, I beg you!" Namtjira pleaded, his hands making a desperate namaste.
Alpharius drew his boltgun.
"Why?" shrieked Namatjira. "Why are you doing this?
"For the Emperor," said Alpharius, and pulled the trigger.”
9 likes