Start by marking “Introducing Wittgenstein” as Want to Read:
Introducing Wittgenstein

Introducing Wittgenstein (Introducing Series)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Ludwig Wittgenstein has somehow captured the popular imagination as the modern Socrates, the fascinating and attractive master of enigmatic logic. But what did Wittgenstein really say?
Published July 22nd 1992 by Icon Books

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Wittgenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Wittgenstein

Adriana
description

Pois então, faz muito mais sentido Wittgenstein em quadrinhos ou no cinema, mais que ser lido ou ouvido, Wittgenstein deve ser visto.
Chris
For those of you who don’t know, the “Introducing” series published by Toten Books is a graphic novel presentation of big ideas and their thinkers. They are fun to read and a huge help for visual learners. It’s true there isn’t as much information as could fit onto a fully-worded page, but it makes up in mnemonic assistance what it lacks in exhaustive content. Also, because there isn’t as much emphasis placed on written content as pictorial interpretation, the effort to highlight central concept ...more
Ruth
Hmm, it was a comic book so I thought it was going to make things simpler but I still didn't really get a lot of the ideas, plus the drawings weren't that great. I might have been better off actually trying to read the Tractatus. There was a part in the middle about thinking that I got a little interested in, but overall I wasn't feeling it.
Dale
I've been reading a few books from the 'Introducing ... A Graphics Guide' series the past several weeks. They've been surprisingly good, and this one is no exception. Over the years I've read quite a bit of Wittgenstein (Foundations of Mathematics, Philosophical Investigations, On Certainty, and the Blue and Brown books), but knew next to nothing of Wittgenstein's life and (ironically) next to nothing of his personal view of life. This little book filled in those gaps.

Wittgenstein is a deceptive
Neal
This was my first experience with the "Introducing..." series of books (of which there are many). It was a very enjoyable read, with a ton of illustrative graphics on every page; there are quotations from Wittgenstein scattered throughout, though I would have wanted perhaps a few more than the author chose to include; and it's very concise and informative, ranging from the biographical to the philosophical to the interplay of the two and how they informed each other, from influences to major wor ...more
Seth
Jan 21, 2014 Seth added it
i’ve realized that one of my favorite things about the philosophy classes i took at carleton was hashing it out in class with the other students. somehow, reading a condensed version of philosophy like this, without the knowledge that i’m going to take some kernel of understanding with me into a classroom, the words just don’t resonate the same way. plus, the average person you talk to will treat you like a joker if you engage in the kinds of philosophical ramblings that wittgenstein will induce ...more
Daniel Chaikin
Immediate response: It helped. This seems to be a good starting point on Wittgenstein.

A short review, from July 10:

As part of my weird quest-to-reread-Infinite-Jest, I decided I needed to read certain key influences on David Foster Wallace, including Wittgenstein's Tractatus...or did I? And anyway, where to start on such a book? So, I started here. The illustrations are random and vaguely pointless, but text is nice and simple. It highlights how absolutely fascinating Wittgenstein the person was
Sorcha
Nov 25, 2011 Sorcha added it
An excellent introduction to a fascinating subject. This was the first book I read in the Introducing series. It covers Wittgenstein’s life, philosophy, major works, influences, etc. Don’t think that just because it’s a comic, it has to be light-reading. I have read some "serious" secondary texts on Wittgenstein and, honestly, I always find myself coming back to this book when I need to refresh my grasp on his ideas. Some of his more complicated ideas are glossed over (which is to be expected gi ...more
Ben Bush
I'm pretty shameless about reading these comic philosophy intro guides. This one was much less intelligible than the one on Derrida. Stuff about the way language and the world and the impossibility of language actually describing anything. We can't use words to describe the world the best we can do is point to it. There's a nice succinct description of "Rhizomatic" which I guess Deleuze and Guattari picked up from Wittgenstein. Nice joke: "Consider the lady who wrote to me saying she was a solip ...more
Zahreen
May 23, 2007 Zahreen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to think really really really hard
Shelves: academic
I love these Introducing/--- for Beginners Books, and this one about Wittgenstein is no different. It is difficult philosophy to grasp, and the book does a glossing of it, but it's an excellent introduction to a very important philosopher. The book also does a good job painting the historical and biographical context of Wittgenstein's work. His books are littered with examples that make it more comprehensible than most.
Isaac
What is Wittgenstein about? At first, the possibility of logic as a way of describing everything. Later, the ambiguity of language as a way of describing anything. Either way he breaks it all down quite nicely. I wrote a thesis on Wittgenstein to graduate. It was all about the naming of colors, a process that breaks down and is left open to reinvention at any point. That's what Wittgenstein is about!
Michael
Introducing Wittgenstein is a perfect beginning to those new to Wittgenstein. Includes both a biography as well as a guide to his major works (Tactatus, Philosophical Investigations, On Certainty etc.) in the form of an easy to follow graphic novel.
Richard
I found this series to be a clever way of introducing difficult concepts. Wittgenstein has influenced much of modern philosophy and this was a nice afternoon read. 170 pgs of illustrations and summaries of his life and thought.
Melissa Mcavoy
What a riot. I'll need to read it 10 more times to get it. The day after I read it I had a waiter in Burlington VT who was wearing a rabbit/duck t-shirt. Without this book I would have missed the college-town inside joke.
Victoria
An interesting and accessible overview of Wittgenstein's life and works. This series is good if you are starting to study philosophy or if you just wish to know more about philosophy.
Jim
Jun 11, 2007 Jim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lazy grad students like me
Shelves: randomreads, comics
This guide was ok. It made me want to find out more about Wittgenstein, but I wouldn't feel comfortable parroting the info here in a class discussion. The art is also...not so good.
_topo_
In pochi altri casi mi sono trovato di fronte a una così totale incomprensione del testo. Non so se a causa mia, di Wittgenstein o dell'autore del libro.
David Glenn Dixon
Ham-fisted illustrations add little. And the quotes from LW are likely more comprehensible in their original contexts.
Charles
Wittgenstein is complicated. I'm not sure this helped, though. On to Philosophical Investigations!
Matthew Conroy
Decent light overview of Wittgenstein's life. Not super detailed, but has some good information.
Rowan
The summary doesn't pull too many punches as concerns the fundamental difficulty of the text.
Andrew
I still understand nothing. In the interest of self-preservation, let's blame the book.
Mikael
nice to meet you witt ich weiss nicht le monde was is est ?
Tal
another relic from my uni days
Nativeabuse
A weaker book in the series.
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Derrida
  • How to Read Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Introducing Linguistics
  • Introducing Ethics
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Camus
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
Wittgenstein and Psychoanalysis The Talking Cure: Wittgenstein's Therapeutic Method for Psychotherapy Outlaw Tales of Alaska: True Stories of the Last Frontier's Most Infamous Crooks, Culprits, and Cutthroats Wittgenstein i psihoanaliza Wittgenstein and Psychotherapy: From Paradox to Wonder