Start by marking “Introducing Wittgenstein” as Want to Read:
Introducing Wittgenstein

Introducing Wittgenstein

Ludwig Wittgenstein has somehow captured the popular imagination as the modern Socrates, the fascinating and attractive master of enigmatic logic. But what did Wittgenstein really say?
Published July 22nd 1992 by Icon Books

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Wittgenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Wittgenstein

Chris
Feb 18, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
For those of you who don’t know, the “Introducing” series published by Toten Books is a graphic novel presentation of big ideas and their thinkers. They are fun to read and a huge help for visual learners. It’s true there isn’t as much information as could fit onto a fully-worded page, but it makes up in mnemonic assistance what it lacks in exhaustive content. Also, because there isn’t as much emphasis placed on written content as pictorial interpretation, the effort to highlight central concept ...more
Jimmy
Dec 14, 2015 Jimmy rated it really liked it
An example of a logical picture would be, "There is a lion in the room." But that could be true or false. We can check the room and see that it is false. One problem I have is with Wittgenstein's personal belief system. What if I said, "There is an angel in the room" or "God is in the room." Would Wittgenstein call those statements true? Possibly. Kind of defeats the purpose of what he is saying. I mean, if an angel that we do not see can be in the room, why not a lion?

Solipsism is the belief t
Adriana Scarpin
description

Pois então, faz muito mais sentido Wittgenstein em quadrinhos ou no cinema, mais que ser lido ou ouvido, Wittgenstein deve ser visto.
Dale
May 23, 2013 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading a few books from the 'Introducing ... A Graphics Guide' series the past several weeks. They've been surprisingly good, and this one is no exception. Over the years I've read quite a bit of Wittgenstein (Foundations of Mathematics, Philosophical Investigations, On Certainty, and the Blue and Brown books), but knew next to nothing of Wittgenstein's life and (ironically) next to nothing of his personal view of life. This little book filled in those gaps.

Wittgenstein is a deceptive
David Balfour
Nov 07, 2016 David Balfour rated it it was ok
Shelves: my_reviews
The biographical portions of this are pretty good but you can get them equally well from a quick visit to Wikipedia. The images are mostly unrelated to the content - just random, poorly-drawn comics and cheap surrealist collage that fail almost completely to supplement the text. The explanations of Wittgenstein's thought are heavily simplified and paraphrased, and lack his resonant turn of phrase. It all seems either too obvious or too obtuse, and it's hard to understand why anything he says is ...more
Daniel Chaikin
Apr 18, 2013 Daniel Chaikin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immediate response: It helped. This seems to be a good starting point on Wittgenstein.

A short review, from July 10:

As part of my weird quest-to-reread-Infinite-Jest, I decided I needed to read certain key influences on David Foster Wallace, including Wittgenstein's Tractatus...or did I? And anyway, where to start on such a book? So, I started here. The illustrations are random and vaguely pointless, but text is nice and simple. It highlights how absolutely fascinating Wittgenstein the person was
Seth
Jan 21, 2014 Seth added it
i’ve realized that one of my favorite things about the philosophy classes i took at carleton was hashing it out in class with the other students. somehow, reading a condensed version of philosophy like this, without the knowledge that i’m going to take some kernel of understanding with me into a classroom, the words just don’t resonate the same way. plus, the average person you talk to will treat you like a joker if you engage in the kinds of philosophical ramblings that wittgenstein will induce ...more
Ruth
Dec 24, 2010 Ruth rated it it was ok
Hmm, it was a comic book so I thought it was going to make things simpler but I still didn't really get a lot of the ideas, plus the drawings weren't that great. I might have been better off actually trying to read the Tractatus. There was a part in the middle about thinking that I got a little interested in, but overall I wasn't feeling it.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Aug 24, 2016 Jon(athan) Nakapalau rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Wittgenstein. Read it before you try to read him.
Victor Diaz Magallon
Es un libro que te introduce de forma más amable a la filosofía Wittgensteniana.

Al estilo Rius, -con dibujitos y toda la cosa- esta publicación contiene un poco de su historia personal, académica, pero sobre todo explica -con palitos y bolitas- sus dos obras capitales: Tractatus lógico-filosófico e Investigaciones filosóficas.

Un excelente libro para comprender el pensamiento y el alcancé que ha tenido -en el arte, en la cultura y en el conocimiento de nuestra realidad- uno de los filósofos más
Mohamed hassan
Mar 26, 2017 Mohamed hassan rated it it was amazing
Beautifully put.
Neal
May 12, 2009 Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first experience with the "Introducing..." series of books (of which there are many). It was a very enjoyable read, with a ton of illustrative graphics on every page; there are quotations from Wittgenstein scattered throughout, though I would have wanted perhaps a few more than the author chose to include; and it's very concise and informative, ranging from the biographical to the philosophical to the interplay of the two and how they informed each other, from influences to major wor ...more
Emma
Feb 23, 2017 Emma rated it really liked it
Fun read found in parents' shelf, it focuses a lot on Wittgenstein's life which gave a good sense of Wittgenstein as a character. Took a bit over an hour to read, there wasn't that much philosophy in it but did an ok job of showing some of Wittgenstein's line of thought. I think the really strong part of the book is the biography, I didn't really know much about the setting and timeline of Wittgenstein's life and context to his work.

"His outlook was typically pretty gloomy"
Elliot Ratzman
Dec 26, 2016 Elliot Ratzman rated it liked it
A visiting friend asked me to tell him some about the philosopher Wittgenstein. I did so for a few minutes, and then doubted some of the claims I made, so I read through this book to spot myself on my own faulty memories. This is a nice summary of the basics in his thought, complete with a fair biographical sketch of his more memorable deeds: brave soldier in WWI, rural schoolteacher, polymath prodigy, architect, arrogant student, humble genius and eccentric teacher. The author throws in a few t ...more
Mark Valentine
Feb 15, 2016 Mark Valentine rated it liked it
I value the Introducing-- series because they act as a friend who I can trust to give me the basics without too much commitment; they consistently work as a springboard into the topic in an engaging manner. Wittgenstein, now, I have a sense of and will look into his works.

I am moved by Wittgenstein's statement that the hardest thinking we humans can engage in requires us not to deceive ourselves.

I also must ponder some more his negation of the self; that we cannot think without including the "
Ben Bush
I'm pretty shameless about reading these comic philosophy intro guides. This one was much less intelligible than the one on Derrida. Stuff about the way language and the world and the impossibility of language actually describing anything. We can't use words to describe the world the best we can do is point to it. There's a nice succinct description of "Rhizomatic" which I guess Deleuze and Guattari picked up from Wittgenstein. Nice joke: "Consider the lady who wrote to me saying she was a solip ...more
Zahreen
May 21, 2007 Zahreen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to think really really really hard
Shelves: academic
I love these Introducing/--- for Beginners Books, and this one about Wittgenstein is no different. It is difficult philosophy to grasp, and the book does a glossing of it, but it's an excellent introduction to a very important philosopher. The book also does a good job painting the historical and biographical context of Wittgenstein's work. His books are littered with examples that make it more comprehensible than most.
Zach
Apr 03, 2015 Zach rated it it was amazing
Fun, short explanation of Witttgenstein's philosophy done as a strange sort of clip-art comic. The thing looks and reads like a zine, but as if they made an aesthetic choice for it to be a zine, without every seeing one in real life, like a person making a "50's diner" based on nostalgic generalities. For whatever reason i found this really charming. This book is not exhaustive, but it gives a good foothold for the life and work of Wittgennstein, like it's just INTRODUCING him.
Wilde Sky
Mar 06, 2017 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
This book provides a brief overview of a famous (relatively) logician.

I found this book fascinating (especially the biographical sections), even though some of the ideas went over my head. The writing and narrative were logical and easy to follow.
Isaac
Feb 01, 2008 Isaac rated it liked it
What is Wittgenstein about? At first, the possibility of logic as a way of describing everything. Later, the ambiguity of language as a way of describing anything. Either way he breaks it all down quite nicely. I wrote a thesis on Wittgenstein to graduate. It was all about the naming of colors, a process that breaks down and is left open to reinvention at any point. That's what Wittgenstein is about!
Jan 15, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
I was disappointed in Wittgenstein I have to say. If the purpose of this book is to make you want to read more Wittgenstein, it partially succeeded as I am curious.

there was too much about his personal life which was only moderately interesting, and his ideas were admired rather than discussed.

ultimately, though, perhaps I found a number of his ideas outmoded.
Richard
I found this series to be a clever way of introducing difficult concepts. Wittgenstein has influenced much of modern philosophy and this was a nice afternoon read. 170 pgs of illustrations and summaries of his life and thought.
Kevin Summers
Apr 07, 2015 Kevin Summers rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
This book piqued my interest in Wittgenstein's ideas, to which I had had only a very brief introduction prior to reading Introducing Wittgenstein. Before reading this book, I did not know that three of Wittgenstein's four brothers committed suicide.
Eric Pecile
Dec 08, 2015 Eric Pecile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good synopsis of the extremely complex philosophy of Ludwig Wittengenstein. While the subject matter is too dense and complicated to be crammed into a single short volume it acts as a great companion to the reading of the Tractatus On Certainty.
Melissa Mcavoy
What a riot. I'll need to read it 10 more times to get it. The day after I read it I had a waiter in Burlington VT who was wearing a rabbit/duck t-shirt. Without this book I would have missed the college-town inside joke.
Andrew
Jun 16, 2011 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I still understand nothing. In the interest of self-preservation, let's blame the book.
David Gross
Feb 08, 2010 David Gross rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Enough to intrigue me, but not enough to recommend. It often seemed unnecessarily imprecise and obscure.
Morgane
Aug 18, 2016 Morgane rated it liked it
Still confused \_(ツ)_/ ...more
_topo_
Nov 16, 2010 _topo_ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In pochi altri casi mi sono trovato di fronte a una così totale incomprensione del testo. Non so se a causa mia, di Wittgenstein o dell'autore del libro.
Tal
Oct 21, 2007 Tal rated it it was ok
Shelves: other
another relic from my uni days
  • Introducing Baudrillard