Start by marking “Practical Programming for Strength Training” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,438 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Practical Programming offers a different approach to exercise programming than that typically found in other exercise texts. Based on a combined 60+ years of academic expertise, elite-level coaching experience, and the observation of thousands of novice trainees, the authors present a chronological analysis of the response to exercise as it varies through the training hist ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Aasgaard Co.

To ask other readers questions about Practical Programming for Strength Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Programming for Strength Training

Adam Marquis
Sep 06, 2012 Adam Marquis rated it it was amazing
The vast majority of fitness and training books are worthless dross. They offer templates that worked on a population that likely differs from the reader, using equipment that differs from what the reader has on hand, eating a diet the reader doesn't maintain. And are we even sure the exercises worked? Young men get strong so effortlessly that the assertion "This program got some young men's bench presses up" is worth about as much as saying "This program will protect you from Martians." Young m ...more
Joe Soltzberg
Sep 03, 2015 Joe Soltzberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall definitely one of the best books for strength training, specifically programming. I especially appreciate that he spends the first third of the book going overall the fundamental ideas behind training and programming. Understanding Selye's General Adaptation Syndrome and the basic ideas behind getting stronger over time was important. The only thing that I was uncertain of was some of his recommendations for intermediate lifters. First, some of his examples of 'now intermediate lifters' ...more
Alec
Sep 27, 2014 Alec rated it liked it
I absolutely loved Rip's Starting Strength (see my review), but this one just didn't fit my needs. I'm a marathon runner, so keep that in mind when reading. I used to be the typical runner, avoided weights for the most part, thinking they would make me big and bulky (ha!). When I did occasionally go to the gym, I'd pump out endless repetitions with light weights and machines. Needless to say, I got nowhere.

I read Starting Strength which really opened my eyes and changed my training. I almost IM
Петър Стойков
За разлика от огромното количество други книги относно фитнеса и тренировките с тежести, тази няма на корицата си мускулести батковци, макар да е предназначена точно за такива.

Това е сериозна книга за сериозни спортисти и се занимава с програмирането на силовите тренировъчни периоди на средно напредналите атлети, след приключването на началната силова прогресия, описана в https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Докато при начинаещите силата се покачва лесно и това може да става по малко, но неп
Davy
Jun 01, 2016 Davy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great addition after reading Starting Strength earlier this year, Rippetoe's other book. I originally thought that this book may be a little too advanced for me, but after adjusting my program myself after stalling, this book really taught me what was going on, and how I can build a custom program suited to my needs.

There's a lot of in the book about physiology, much like in Starting Strength, but there was ample bits of advice for novice, intermediate, and advanced powerlifters. I s
Mario Tomic
May 19, 2014 Mario Tomic rated it it was amazing
One of the best books if not the best one I've read on strength training methodologies. It dives deep into how to create workouts that give maximum results depending on your current level of lifting experience. Really glad I stumbled upon this book at this time as I've felt like running out of ideas of how to progress in my workouts. Mark does a really good job explaining the core principles and adding specific techniques for advanced lifters to use that produce results. Super excited to try eve ...more
Justine
Mar 27, 2017 Justine rated it really liked it
This is not fiction but I read it to learn more about weight lifting. It gets a bit repetitive but it is fairly useful. I think the thing I mostly will remember in the long run is how he talks about training "to your potential" -- nothing is ever absolute, there is no discussion of who is "good" or "bad" at weightlifting. Everything is about your potential and your goals -- including "levels" of weight training: he talks about novice, intermediate, and advanced in terms of time and intensity of ...more
Alex Allain
Dec 24, 2008 Alex Allain rated it it was amazing
Two factor model for adaptation--recovery and fitness. To gain fitness, you must disrupt homeostasis. This gets harder over time as the body adapts. Beginners can recover and gain fitness between workouts; intermediates in a week; advanced trainees takes months. Intermediates and advanced trainees are in a state of constant fatigue until the end of a training cycle.

Overtraining is making recovery take more than the time you want it to.

Hormonal model of adaptation--compound lifts initially (post
Craig Cecil
Oct 11, 2013 Craig Cecil rated it really liked it
Shelves: weightlifting
This is an important book. Rippetoe presents the logical, scientific building blocks of the body's adaptation process. This info is then applied to the Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced weight trainer through various time-tested training protocols. Anyone who employs the use of a barbell, dumbbells, kettlebells, or any other progressive resistance device will benefit from the information. Like most training, you won't master the material in a single read-through. It will take several repetitio ...more
Arto Bendiken
The complete theory of strength training from the most authoritative source in the field.

Note that for novice trainees, it suffices to read the author's book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, though the material presented herein does add valuable theoretical depth.
Cristian Morales Marroquin
Nov 30, 2013 Cristian Morales Marroquin rated it it was amazing
Esto debería ser parte del programa de educación física de colegio.
Cualquier persona moderadamente interesada en cualquier tipo de deporte obligatoriamente ha de leer esto. Me puso a repasar conceptillos de biología y de todo.

Coach Rip, respect to the maximum.
Aneel
May 12, 2011 Aneel rated it it was amazing
Solid follow-up to Starting Strength. The first book tells you how to do the exercises. This one tells you when. A lot of information about how to design weight lifting programs and when to change them.
Valentin Uzunov
May 21, 2011 Valentin Uzunov rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coaching
fantastic book, its ideal from every level of athlete and coach. It covers all the necessary areas of program design without being overly complex or simplified.
Juliusz Gonera
Aug 05, 2014 Juliusz Gonera rated it really liked it
Good advice on training scheduling and periodization for both novice and advanced trainees. Introduces the current knowledge and theory behind strength training
Jim Angstadt
Jan 14, 2017 Jim Angstadt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Rippetoe and Andy Baker

Much of this book is similar to other strength training books. The real value of this book for me is the 12 page section devoted to 'Older Lifters'. In other books, this topic often rated a paragraph or two, and a few meaningless generalities.

The 'Older Lifters' section includes discussions on:
- the value of weight training for older lifters
- a basic A-B model: A: squats, bench, deadlifts; B: Squat, press, power clean
- models
LiveQuestionLearn
Wish I read this after reading Starting Strength years ago. Learning how to schedule the workouts and what to do in certain situations such as older age, injury is just as important as learning how to perform the exercises. Thought Practical Programming was easier to follow than Starting Strength.
Josh Johnson
Mar 23, 2017 Josh Johnson rated it liked it
There is nothing new in this book compared to the hundred of others. It is not a bad book, but if you have general knowledge on training you won't learn anything new.
PJ
Mar 08, 2017 PJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: learn
Powerful reference for weight lifting programming and moving beyond the novice level.
Jay Reynolds
Jul 26, 2012 Jay Reynolds rated it really liked it

Solid info for programming a training routine from an experienced coach. 'Programming', in this context, describes scheduling a training routine to maximize a desired outcome at a given point in time (ie reaching a performance 'peak' in time for an athletic competition). Rippetoe emphasizes the importance of recovery and rest/deloading, as this is when adaptation to stress occurs: you can't get stronger if you don't ease off now and then; otherwise, you'll just burn out.

This is important not on
Spencer Bambrick
Jul 25, 2015 Spencer Bambrick rated it it was amazing
This is hands down the best text for learning how athletes build maximal strength and the science behind this process.

In the first few chapters the Authors (Mark Rippetoe and Andy Baker for the 3rd Edition) walk us through the biological mechanisms that drive adaptation as they relate to building strength. This is a necessary step in learning how to appropriately program for the novice, intermediate, and advanced lifter.
We need to know exactly how the body responds to stressors, and what the r
Rian
Apr 06, 2014 Rian rated it really liked it
Rip is a legend in the industry; whose understanding of training, biomechanics, anatomy, and all of the relevant bits and bobs in between is second to none. Kilgore and Pendlay are also great.

This book is a great introduction to the concept of stress, recovery and adaptation, and how these 3 basic concepts apply to training. Selye's general adaptation syndrome is broached and serves as the cornerstone of training philosophy. Topic such as training youth and training women are addressed intellige
Daniyal
Dec 16, 2014 Daniyal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
There are book out there with fully integrated scientific literature, where it takes you two days just to get down the jargon the author throws at you, and then there are books that assume that their reader is a peanut butter jelly eating ant, these books have the most brosciency jargon that makes you wonder how did this book even got that many stars next to it when it can't even score a pluto.

Then there are books like this, which are a nice medium, it doesn't go into much broscience, yet still
Abhi Yerra
Jul 22, 2014 Abhi Yerra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well to make it clear I didn't really finish the book because I didn't read the section on Intermediate and Advanced training. I probably would have never even gotten to the section on the Advanced training since it is for competitive lifters.

But overall this is a great book on understanding the physiological aspects of weight training and how to adjust weight training goals with the physiological response of the body. It really serves as a compliment to Starting Strength which goes through all
Salvador
Jul 02, 2015 Salvador rated it it was amazing
One of the best strength training programs around. I'm approaching 20 years in the strength training game and have experience with Starting Strength, 5/3/1, Tactical Barbell, Madcow,Greyskull variants and many more.

Two programs have delivered above and beyond for me; Texas Method found in this book(two variations in particular) and more recently Tactical barbell.

If you're serious at all about strength training, there will come a point in your lifting 'career' that you will HAVE to run Texas Met
Cody
Oct 25, 2014 Cody rated it really liked it
Excellent. Required reading if you're an intermediate, or really even if you're a beginner. Beginners make sure you read and implement Starting Strength first. I consider this book the standard in learning all about recovery management, and making that tricky transition from novice to intermediate.

The book contains several valuable templates including Texas Method, Two Steps Forward, and even includes the SS template in case you don't have it.
The only minor issue is that if your focus is on an
Jaroslav Tuček
Apr 16, 2016 Jaroslav Tuček rated it it was amazing
The definitive strength training programming information and an essential companion to Starting Strength. The books covers training needs of novice, intermediate as well as advanced athletes, with staggering amount of details offered on various aspects of training program design, progression and recovery from stalls caused by overtraining or over-rapid weight increments.

For most recreational lifters the greatest benefit of the book will be in helping to asses just how advanced the trainer truly
Stal Holst
Nov 26, 2014 Stal Holst rated it liked it
Good book. In depth information about recovery management and different factors that affect lifters of various levels. Things like manipulating your hormonal responses to stress, what to do when linear progression stops working and much more. If you're an intermediate it's a must read for that information alone. I know of no other training book that presents this knowledge in a reader friendly layman-like manner, like PPST.
As for the programs found within, they are good but I've put up better n
Masterjack Tom
Apr 29, 2015 Masterjack Tom rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best general strength trg books on the market for in my opinion. PPST provides more of a template style approach, definitely not cookie cutter. Which is perfect if you're intermediate or advanced. It also has several variations for different goals; such as developing strength for MMA, or powerlifting, and everything in between. Simple, and effective as all great programs are.
Make sure you read the 3rd edition, there's a lot of extra valuable info not found in the first couple
Sol
Sep 08, 2015 Sol rated it it was amazing
As far as I'm concerned this is the top general strength training program on the market. There isn't much I can add that hasn't been said. I'm talking about the 3rd edition, which includes a ton of new material which easily integrates with the older material.

I've been in the S&C field for over a decade, these are some of my other top picks:

Conditioning:

+ anything by Tudor Bompa
Amr Khaled
Oct 15, 2015 Amr Khaled rated it really liked it
Shelves: gym
Granted that Practical Programming is often too "Practical", & that the text needs focus to wrap your head around the concepts being presented. But the book still proves invaluable for several reasons.

The ideas of "periodization", "recovery", "plotting", & the several outlines of differences between the different grades of athletes are few of the many broadly discussed important concepts in this text.

It won't go into any full details regarding "how to exercise" or "how to correct form &a
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • Science and Practice of Strength Training
  • Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide For Athletes & Coaches
  • The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • Power to the People!: Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American
  • Strength Training Anatomy
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • Movement: Functional Movement Systems: Screening, Assessment, Corrective Strategies
  • Beyond Brawn: The Insider's Encyclopedia on How to Build Muscle and Might
  • Never Gymless
  • The Purposeful Primitive: From Fat and Flaccid to Lean and Powerful: Using Primordial Laws of Fitness to Trigger Inevitable, Lasting and Dramatic Physical Change
  • Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
  • Supertraining
  • Power Speed ENDURANCE: A Skill-Based Approach to Endurance Training
  • Periodization Training for Sports
  • Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength
  • The Ultimate Diet 2.0. Advanced Cyclical Dieting for Achieving Super Leanness.

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark Rippetoe is an American strength training coach and author. He has published a number of books and peer-reviewed articles. He has a BSc in geology with a minor in anthropology, but no degree in exercise science. He has several decades of experience as a strength coach, is a former powerlifter, and is currently a gym owner.

Rippetoe was born in Wichita Falls, Texas, where he now resides. He obt
More about Mark Rippetoe...

“Humans are built to move. We evolved under conditions that required daily intense physical activity, and even among individuals with lower physical potential, that hard-earned genotype is still ours today. The modern sedentary lifestyle leads to the inactivation of the genes related to physical performance, attributes that were once critical for survival and which are still critical for the correct, healthy expression of the genotype. The genes are still there, they just aren't doing anything because the body is not stressed enough to cause a physiological adaptation requiring their activation. The sedentary person's heart, lungs, muscles, bones, nerves and brain all operate far below the level at which they evolved to function, and at which they still function best.” 8 likes
“myofibrillar hypertrophy, more actin, myosin, and other associated proteins are added to those already existing in the cell. More contractile elements within the cell mean more actin/myosin interactions and more force production. This type of hypertrophy is typical of low-repetition, high-intensity training. It adds less mass but produces greater increases in the force generated per unit area of muscle than the second type of hypertrophy, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.” 1 likes