Start by marking “Who Switched Off My Brain?” as Want to Read:
Who Switched Off My Brain?

Who Switched Off My Brain?

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Self Help through scripture controlling toxic thoughts and emotions throughout ones life.
Unknown Binding, 139 pages
Published 2007 by Switch on your brain (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Who Switched Off My Brain?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Switched Off My Brain?

Cassie Shepherd
This was a great book with some inspiring ideas. I loved how Leaf used her Christianity beliefs in companion with her scientific knowledge. She even helped me see a different meaning behind some specific scriptures. Leaf explains the science of the brains chemistry in an extremely easy way to understand. Coming from someone who has anxiety and is always stressing about something, I feel like Leaf offers a lot of solid ideas for learning how to change thoughts and control unhealthy emotions. Even ...more
Jim
This book sort of felt like quasi-science. There were mentions of studies done and research shows this but there was no reference to what studies these were or who did them.

While I think there are some good things in this book and that I agree with the fact that our thoughts and emotions can affect our physical well-being, I don't agree with it to the extent that the author holds to be true and that we just need to change our thought patterns to become healthy again. There definitely seems to be
Rowena
I had the honour of hearing this enthusiastic and knowledgeable author speak at my Church over a period of three days.I even got a copy of my book signed:) I was in awe by how she used her psychological research to prove the word of God. The main focus of the book is how thoughts affect our brains; toxic thoughts can physically and emotionally harm us. The good news is that we are able to transform our way of thinking and live more positive, fruitful lives.

Although the writer is a PhD, the book
Diane
Our daughter, Bridget, gave me this book for Christmas. There are only 138 pages in this book. I couldn't put this book down. In fact, I read it in just a few hours today. Dr. Leaf states that reserachers say that 87% of the illnesses that plague us today are a direct result of our thought life. Once you read what she has to say on how your brain works and what happens to your body when we think negative thoughts, you can't wait to get to the last chapter and learn the steps to controlling your ...more
Karl
If I were to summarize “Who Switched off my Brain?”, in one sentence, it would be that: toxic (negative) thoughts, and the emotions that they are associated with, will physically alter the human body in a harmful way and by becoming aware of this process we can implement strategies to reduce negative thinking and moderate the corresponding chemicals that harm us.

At a more in-depth level, Dr. Caroline Leaf starts the book with an explanation of the physical process that takes place in our brain
Erika
Feb 08, 2011 Erika rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I really tried to get into this and I thought it would offer real insight. At best it was warmed over info that you could get from any self help book wrapped in a neuroscience disguise.

~Erika
Karen & Gerard
I found this to be fascinating and very helpful. I am interested in scientific research that relates to my everyday life which is in abundance in this short book about the brain. The beginning chapters were pretty technical and had a lot of words related to the brain that I am unfamiliar with so that part dragged along a bit for me. However, after reading those beginning chapters, I have a much better understanding of how thoughts are processed and stored.

Caroline Leaf goes into a lot of detail
Thomas Hadley
This is, by far, the most practical book on cognitive development and mind change I have ever read. The practical five step process she developed is very simple and very powerful to use. I have had mental breakthroughs using her system that I have needed for decades.

Not only does she offer the practical system, she goes into great detail (but not too confusing detail) into how and why our thoughts have the effect that they do on our brain cells. This detail allows us to have confidence in apply
Fed
Very good book. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to understand how the mind and the power of our thoughts/words work. The author is a Christian psychologist/therapist, but she does not push Christianity, she just states that she is a Christian and that works for her. She believes that faith is an important component for a healthy life/mind, and challenges the reader to find their own belief system.

Dr. Leaf's way of explaining scientific/medical processes is simple, and all audiences co
Starlight
Mar 23, 2009 Starlight rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who experience emotions, and can get past smarmy illustrations.
Recommended to Starlight by: Momma
So, this book makes some really good and interesting parallels between the human brain, emotions, memories and health. But I felt that it was written badly. Yes, the brain is complicated, and yes - it probably needs to be oversimplified for most people to understand it, but the particular approach to writing on this topic, by this author, was wildly distracting. LOVED the topic and fully recommend it for EVERYONE. LOoooathed the writing style. And the illustrations. Aungh.
Leo
May 16, 2009 Leo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
Now you know why Christ said to put the mind on good things.
Roxane Lapa
Dr Caroline Leaf is a brain scientist who has specialized in the science of thoughts for over 20 years. She is also a Christian. In this book, she explains scientifically (though in layman's terms) how our thoughts affect our bodies, and even our genes (epigenetics). She shows how to utilize this knowledge to better our mental and physical health.

Some minor annoyances...

She throws in Bible verses here and there that are pertinent to what she is discussing, but not always taken in context to the
Amanda
3 1/2 - 4 stars

This book is quite an eye-opener! Dr. Caroline Leaf takes you on a journey through each step of a thought and breaks down each specific place in the brain (and body) it affects. It would appear the entire body - what it feels, how it performs, it’s very framework, even our DNA - can and will be affected by our thoughts, be they positive or negative.

“Who Switched Off My Brain?” was really good, and very fascinating in the medical sense. Dr. Leaf explains the big, “doctor words” an
Brittany
So fascinating. Thanks, Chelsy, for the recommendation!

Despite all it's scientific content, this book is written in layman's terms and is very easy to read. I very nearly read it in one sitting.

Leaf talks about thoughts and memories and how they're formed, the various components of the brain and how they work, and how negative thoughts quite literally have a direct impact upon your physical wellbeing.

One of the things that really fascinated me was what she had to say about the heart. Your heart
Andrew
In Who Switched Off Your Brain? , Dr. Caroline Leaf has thoroughly researched the differences and similarities of men and women. She is a neuroscientist who studies the brain many different functions. In this book here are some different things you will learn: As a society, we think that women tend to speak more words daily than men but according to studies conducted men and women speak nearly the same amount of words daily. It greatly depends on our unique “I-Factor”, which differs from each in ...more
Bob Flores
OK so there were some great things about this book and there were some not so great things!

Pros:

This is a great book if you would like a basic introduction to brain function and neurochemistry. Actually this is the one of the most basic, but "get to the point" books on the subject I have read. I got very excited to know that I can actually change my thinking far before it becomes toxic or even a part of me. Seeing how this is done was refreshing. This book also gave me insight on the process of
Liebes Buch
Bücher über das "Positive Denken" werden meist von Ex-Schauspielern oder Ex-Models geschrieben, die damit ihren Erfolg erklären oder das spirituelle Finden eines Parkplatzes anpreisen. Diese Bücher sind sehr beliebt. Ich mag sie nicht so gern. Caroline Leaf ist kein Ex-Promi, sondern eine Doktorin der Communication Pathology und Christin. Aufmerksam wurde ich auf ihre Arbeit durch ein Interview, in dem sie über die Individualität unserer Gehirne sprach. Ihr Buch "Wer hat mein Gehirn ausgeschalte ...more
Daniel Keohane
This wasn't bad, if anything was probably too short a book. The first half Leaf explains how the brain and nervous system works in pretty-much laymon's terms, so it was easy enough to follow. What I expected for the second half was how to apply this knowledge of the brain to changing thinking patterns and behavior, but really, it was a list of things/behaviors to do and change to better your life and behavioral habits, but these suggestions were simply a paragraph or two (sometimes couple of pag ...more
Heidi Wiechert
The Goodreads description of this book surprised me. The author quotes the Bible maybe a handful of times. I wouldn't describe this as a scriptural guidance book so much as a book about the brain with the occasional Biblical quote thrown in.

Leaf does a great job of breaking down how the brain creates and stores memories. She discusses: why we save some memories and not others, how to form new memories, and how children are affected by their brain chemistry. Chapter Six, detailing coping mechanis
Mandi Friedman
At first I was worried that this book was going to be term-heavy when Dr. Caroline Leaf was describing the thought process. But she broke down the process in an understandable way without being overwhelming. I liked in this book how she listed off what toxic thoughts do to us, and she told us how to overcome them. I feel ready to take on the challenge, and not just in my head with my brain, but in my heart as well. As having suffered from divorced parents, I stuffed my feelings, and have since ...more
Nicoleta
Oct 02, 2014 Nicoleta added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Nicoleta by: a friend
It is a very usefull book. It helps people to know themselves better.
Marianne Pita
I found Caroline Leaf's "Who Switched Off My Brain" to be an excellent reminder of what I already believe to be true. With the hustle and bustle of everyday life and the lack of prioritizing what is important to me, I easily got caught up in the frustration, overwhelmed and stress mode. I had forgotten how our toxic thoughts become toxic emotions. In Phil 4:8 the word of God clearly reads "think on whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- ...more
Debra Wagenecht
Stresses the importance of our thought life
Amy
Apr 23, 2008 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn more about how your brain operates
Recommended to Amy by: Melissa Cender
Shelves: self-help
even though this was written by a Christian author, she is a medical doctor who has spent her time researching the brain. There is alot of great stuff in here about the brain, how it operates, and dissiminates negative and positive information that she describes in very tangible, easy to understand language. At the end, she also recommends ways to "detox" your brain and gain more control over how thoughts affect you: by both thought blocking, diet, exercise, and social support.
Trish
This book is refreshing! Dr. Leaf weaves scientific knowledge with spiritual insight so beautifully without become too heavy on either end! It's one that allows you to dig deeper without a lot of unnecessary fluff. She explains her scientific insights in a concise manner that is easy to understand, yet does not "dumb down" the science! I borrowed this book from a friend, and now feel compelled to purchase one of my own so that I can mark it up; so much good stuff!
Adrian
Very interesting, much of what I talk about and push. I would have liked to have known a little more of the writers qualifications, guess I could get that on line. I like the match of Bible with the Dr's perspective on thinking. I am sure the material in this book is correct, and it reminds me of another book that should be read in the same vein, called non of these diseases older book but same sense. Thinking changes us and is very linked to our body.
Rick
More than just another tome on the power of positive thinking, Dr. Leaf walks the reader through the science behind the anatomy and growth of a thought and then explains how toxic thinking carves a harmful path through the body. Dr. Leaf then concludes with 13 practical techniques for detoxing your brain and revolutionizing your life by changing your thinking. A real wake-up call for anyone struggling with negative thoughts and emotions!
Cathie I
Fantastic studies on the brain and about memories, how to remove hurtful memories and their damage to your mind...
I listened to her first on a Radio Program last winter, told my daughters about this Doctor's work...
Some of Dr. Leaf's lectures are on Utube... Caroline honors God with her studies; after all it is He who has designed man's brain and it's functions.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsJ3bg...
Cristen

This book was cool, but repetitive. It probably could have been about 50 pages shorter and gotten the same message accross. On another note, I love how she tied in what God has said in the Bible for hundreds and hundreds of years, with science. Science is catching up with the Bible! Loved getting a doctor's perspective on the topic of mental and physical health, from a Christian foundation.
Michelle
Feb 01, 2010 Michelle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I find it intriguing to explore the physiological process, effects, and influences of a thought. Its fascinating that fear and faith based thoughts/memories are represented with very specific and unique physical characteristics in the brain. Caroline blends her Christian faith with her expertise to reveal tangible truths of God's word specifically pertaining to being made new by the renewing of our minds.
  • Beauty for Ashes: Receiving Emotional Healing
  • Why You Act the Way You Do
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Deadly Emotions: Understand the Mind-Body-Spirit Connection That Can Heal or Destroy You
  • Marriage on the Rock
  • Wrestling Prayer
  • Spirit Wars: Winning the Invisible Battle Against Sin and the Enemy
  • How People Grow: What the Bible Reveals about Personal Growth
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • He Loves Me!: Learning to Live in the Father's Affection
  • The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships
  • Angels: Who They Are and How They Help-What the Bible Reveals
  • The Viscount's Kiss (Kiss Me, #4)
The Gift in You: Discover New Life Through Gifts Hidden in Your Mind Switch On Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health Who Switched Off Your Brain?: Solving the Mystery of He Said / She Sai Maak 'n Kopskuif (Eboek): Jou Denke Beinvloed Jou Gesondheid, Geluk En Geestelike Lewe. Your body, His temple : God's plan for achieving emotional wholeness

“Frame your world with your words.” 6 likes