The Secret of Grim Hill (Grim Hill, #1)

The Secret of Grim Hill (Grim Hill #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Cat Peters just transferred to Darkmont High and is already desperate to get out. When she hears that Grimoire, the private school nearby, is offering scholarships to the winners of a Halloween soccer match, Cat jumps at the chance. Her little sister, Sookie, and their bookworm neighbor, Jasper, try to tell her there's something ... "just not right" about the old school on...more
Published May 25th 2007 by Lobster Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Grim Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Grim Hill

Kayla West
I had a rare day off yesterday, so I decided to go through my kindle and pick a book to read "just for the fun of it." I had just recently bought this book after finding it randomly, or maybe not so randomly since they go based on what you have looked for in the past, on Amazon and thought it sounded quite interesting, so this is the one I chose to spend my day with.

Now while I am above the intended age level that this book was intended for, I definitely did enjoy it. It had a spooky quality abo...more
Julie Grasso
I found this book in my Amazon suggestions, and I have to say, I just loved the cover and that is what drew me in. I am a big fan of a middle grade mystery, and I was not disappointed by this one.

Written in first person narrative, I found myself swept up by Cat's conundrums. She moves to a new town after her parents split. I felt Cat's pain, as everything and everyone in the new school seemed against her. That is until she tries out for the soccer team. Suddenly, things start to swing her way. C...more
Jeanne
Likes: It was cute and well written. It flowed very nicely and kept the tension going throughout.

Challenges: The main character, Cat, was a bit difficult to like at first. She is a self-centered in the beginning of the book, tending to only focus on her own feelings and a little too willing to sacrifice someone else's in pursuit of bolstering her own ego, even though she is aware that she is doing so. However, she does experience character growth by the end of the book and learns that there are...more
Joy
Cat,named after her "cat like eyes", moved into a new town with her mom and little sister Sookie. She had just tranferred to Darkmount High and desperately trying to get into the all-girl private school next door, Grimoire, but her mother doesn't have the money. When an opportunity comes her way, she jumps at it, Grimoire is giving a full scholarship to the soccer team that wins! Cat makes the team, but Sookie has has a bad feeling about it and is talking to a strange girl named Cindy. After Cat...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Allison Fraclose for TeensReadToo.com

After an awful first day at her new school, Cat Peters decides that she will do anything to escape from Darkmont High. When she hears that Grimoire--the private school that sits alone on a forest-covered hill--is offering full tuition to the winners of a soccer competition to be held on Halloween, she makes up her mind to put all of her energy into it. She's ecstatic when she makes one of the two teams--the Witches--and suddenly, her life begins t...more
michelle
This was a simple read that I believe is aimed at middle-grade students. It was enjoyable, but there were pieces that didn't connect well and the Cat was not a likable character. A paranormal mystery that mixed in Celtic mythology. Perhaps I'm being too harsh. I would probably not enjoy Christopher Pike the same way now that I did as a child.
Susanna
Paris
This is my favorite book of all times now...
Helen

Cat has moved to a new school called Darkmount High, and she hates it. She wants to go to Grimoirs High School but her mom can't afford it. Cat is really good at soccer so she tries out for the team and the winners of the tournament get a free scholarship to Grimoire, but Cat starts to sense there is something wrong with Grimoire like fairies and Celtic mythology.

I read this book because it was in Silver Birch two years ago and I had forgotten what it was about.

I finished it because I had forgot...more
Sabrina *The REAL Princess*
I love this book and its series. It was clever to mix Celtic mythology with a story line to make it an interest to children in middle school. It won a silverbirch award and for a good reason. Cat's character is believable. She is depressed after a move and divorce and the school she attends doesn't help. Her love for soccer is a distraction I believe and Linda writes this very well. I cannot wait for the fourth book and to continue her lovely writing.
Erin
Very good book. I love the series. This is one of the books that Lobster Press has published. It mixes Celtic mythology of fairies with mystery and the troubles of a 13 year old girl. It's spooky and you want to keep reading.
I worked on the third book in the series which will come out next Spring. Be watching for it. It's a good one!
Saviourofmusic
This book is so good. I don't wanna go all fangirl though, so I'll just list the great things about it: a non perfect main character who strives for more than just popularity and beauty, and a small town with a strange mystery, relations to Celtic tradition. There's a lot more, please read it! This book is so good.
Sheila Ruth
The Secret of Grim Hill is just gently spooky enough to be fun without being overly scary. It's a straightforward, fast-paced story and an easy read that's perfect for tween reluctant readers. Read my entire review.
Thamilinie
this book is great.I am looking for the 4th book in the series.This book should be for gr.4 and up because
this book has some challenging words bit is a really good book.I finished this book a bit quicker because some books take me a really long time but this book was too interesting to put down.
Ecila
It's a series of books. It's mysterious, exciting. Evrey book is more exciting then the last one. ( The cover is the first book : The Secret of Grim Hill )
Allison
pretty good book I mean I totally get where Sookie is coming from! an ok book, go ahead and read it!NO FLAMES!
Sarena Nanua
Fantastic children's novel. I especially loved the characters and mysteries/connections with the school. Recommended 8+
Jen Brandes
Cute book. It lost my attention a couple of times, but I was able to stick with it.
Emily
read this book back in 2008 in elementary school, I LOVED it!
Maggie  I.
this book was pretty creepy and mysterious. i liked it
Ayesha Ahamed
I love this book. It really got me really got me thinking
Brookiecookie Shannon
I loved this book a great mix of mystery and action
Sleepy Sheep
Really good book. Love it so much
Harishri
i loved this book!
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • Neil Flambe And The Aztec Abduction: The Neil Flambe Capers #2
  • We All Fall Down
  • The Courageous Princess
  • The Battle Begins (Underworlds, #1)
  • A Perfect Gentle Knight
  • The Gravesavers
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • Dear Jo: The Story of Losing Leah ... and Searching for Hope.
  • The Memory Bank
  • Dear George Clooney: Please Marry My Mom
  • Jane Blonde: Sensational Spylet (Jane Blonde, #1)
  • Flood and Fang (The Raven Mysteries, #1)
  • Potterwookiee (The Creature from My Closet)
  • The Golden Twine
  • Ghost Town (Saranormal, #1)
  • The Adventures of Polo
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
The Secret Deepens (Grim Hill, #2) The Forgotten Secret (Grim Hill, #3) The Family Secret (Grim Hill, #4) Forest of Secrets (Grim Hill, #5) Carnival of Secrets (Grim Hill, #6)