World War I

World War I

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  14 reviews
bOOK
Published January 1st 2006 by DK Publishing (first published 2003)

Audrey
In general, this is a very good introduction to the first world war. It is certainly worth the read. It is very thorough, and the pictures and quotes throughout really serve to give you an idea of what was going on. It did, however, have the problem of getting lost in the details. I am not familiar enough with either military tactics or the geography of France for the detailed descriptions of each major battle to mean much to me. I would have liked to know, for example, why the Eastern Front was...more
Evan
So far I've found this is a great book describing the battles and events of World War I. It opens with a good summation of the events leading to the outbreak of war and then leads into descriptions of the battles and good/bad decisions made from all sides - each one explained in chronological order and in good concise detail. Plus it's got a lot of great insights into the equipment each army used down to the uniforms and standard issued armaments and a myriad of other details plus great maps and...more
Strawberry
Von diesem Buch hätte sich mein Geschichtslehrer mal eine Scheibe abschneiden können. Ich kann mich noch an endlose öde Stunden erinnern, in denen es um die Gründe für den Kriegsausbruch ging und später dann um den Abschluss des Vertrags von Versailles. Doch was während der vier Kriegsjahre passiert ist, darüber haben wir kaum gesprochen.
Ich bin jedenfalls sehr froh, dass ich mich für den Dorling Kindersley Bildband entschieden habe und nicht nur ein kleines Buch aus der Beck'schen Reihe genomme...more
Nathaniel
I picked this up when I heard a story about Harry Patch, the last veteran of WWI, and realized that I only knew the basics about the war. Sadly, he passed away before I finished the book (it was not a quick read - think textbook with extra pictures). The book was a good overview of all theaters of the conflict and major political events. Someone who is not familiar with history will likely find this book too deep and someone very familiar with WWI will likely find it too simplistic, but it was a...more
Kristinn Valdimarsson
Feb 17, 2014 Kristinn Valdimarsson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Einar Snorri Einarsson
Þessi bók er góð sem inngangsrit fyrir þá sem hafa litla þekkingu á WWI og einnig má nota hana sem handbók því henni er skipt niður í skýr tímabil og í henni eru nokkuð góð kort (þó þau séu einföld). Meira gagn gerir hún hins vegar ekki því þó textinn flæði vel þá er aldrei farið djúpt í neina atburði. Líkt og með aðrar bækur frá DK sem ég hef lesið þá er bókin skemmtilega uppsett og myndræn nokkuð sem gerir hana aðlaðandi fyrir lestrarhesta.
Kerry Johanson
I wanted to read a book about WWI because I really knew nothing about it. This was well done and had many fascinating pictures but like another reviewer I don't have enough understanding of military manuevers to understand the details about any of that. There were a number of other things I learned that were also fascinating that were affected by the war.
Heather
I love this book from a visual standpoint. In true DK Publishing fashion, the photographs and graphics take center stage making this a very visually appealing read. It is not a quintessential reference book, but rather a good introduction to WWI that shows some of the small details that are overlooked in typical reference books.
Badger
I'm a little wary of books in this format, but after reading an Amazon review of this, I ordered it together with the WW2 volume by Willmott and very glad I did too. Both are superb overviews and certainly not a trace of 'dumbing-down'. So much more to read now, so little time and money!
Keith
Was very thorough, which wasn't always a good thing but I guess if you don't want to know about certain things you can just skip that section. A great book to get a little knowledge on a war that nobody seems to know anything about.
Kleon Chan
Oct 08, 2010 Kleon Chan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
A really cool book with tons and tons of information about World War I, it goes to detail to standard uniforms and accounts of attles and tons of pictures in every page.
Sebastien
I am endlessly fascinated by WWI. This book has a ton of information, and lots of well-chosen photos. Nice lay-out.
Jim
Decent, high level overview of WWI. Not much depth but good for general information. Lots of maps and photos.
Ray Ziemer
Excellent - comprehensive, detailed, great maps and photos, sidebars on related subjects.
Eric
So well designed, a little museum.
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Vimal Rajaseharan
Vimal Rajaseharan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Andre
Andre marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Daisy the Book Worm
Daisy the Book Worm marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Chand Basha
Chand Basha marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2014
Hedley Paul Willmott (H.P Willmott) is a widely published military historian, author, former Senior Lecturer at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, and a fellow of the Royal Historical Society. He has written extensively on modern naval and military history.

He is retired and lives in Surrey, England.

(source: http://www.goodreads.com/author/edit/... & http://www.potomacbooksinc.com/Books/....more
More about H.P. Willmott...
World War II The Barrier and the Javelin: Japanese and Allied Strategies, February to June 1942 The Battle of Leyte Gulf: The Last Fleet Action Empires in the Balance: Japanese and Allied Pacific Strategies to April 1942 Pearl Harbor