Murder Is Academic

Murder Is Academic (A Cambridge Mystery #1)

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  8 reviews
All is not well at Cambridge University's St. Ethelreda's College. The head of the English Department is dead, and Professor Cassandra James is appointed the task of running the department. Faced with the choice of whipping her underperforming colleagues into shape or losing the much-needed funding for the program, Cassandra resigns herself to the challenge. However, when...more
Published April 15th 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2002)

Tamara
Good debut novel. Love the setting.
Suzanne
A nice debut mystery novel. I very much liked the setting and the professor / sleuth, Dr. Cassandra James. The book drags a tiny bit in the middle but builds to a nice climax in which the killer was not at all who I was suspecting. I hope there are more books in the series.
Amber
This was a decent first novel. I must admit, however, that I'm not a fan of pregnant women as a plot device and even less fond of childbirth as an event in this type of book. Save it for the touchy feelies and just let the cozies be cozies.
Bev Hankins
Being an academic mystery fan I can't resist snatching them off the library shelves when I see them. I should have left this one on the shelf. The writing is not crisp and the story just did not hold my interest. I did finish it...just.
Krob
Jun 22, 2008 Krob added it
It seems to ge a summer of escapist reading. A murder in Cambridge. Conclusion not as satisfying as it could have been, but great atmosphere. Definitely intend to read the sequel next.

Bev Hankins
This one is better than Murder is Academic. The story held my interest...it was a good thing I read this one first.
Jennifer Medeiros
Eh. Not bad, but don't bother. It was just so-so and there are so many more books out there to be read.
Anastacia
Could NOT get into this at all... took it back to the library... will try again another time.
Marina Sofia
Marina Sofia marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Tracyk
Tracyk marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Bell
Bell marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Martin Ljungqvist
Martin Ljungqvist marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Cyn
Cyn added it
Jun 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Christine Poulson was born and brought up in North Yorkshire, England. She is now a research fellow at the Centre for Nineteenth-Century Studies at Sheffield University and chair of the William Morris Society. She has written widely on 19th-century art and literature, and her most recent work of non-fiction was a book on Arthurian legend in British art from 1840 to 1920. She lives with her family...more
More about Christine Poulson...
Invisible Stage Fright William Morris The Quest for the Grail: Arthurian Legend in British Art 1840-1920 Footfall