Start by marking “The Underground City [UNABRIDGED-MP3 CD]” as Want to Read:
The Underground City [UNABRIDGED-MP3 CD]

Read Book* *Different edition

The Underground City [UNABRIDGED-MP3 CD] (Extraordinary Voyages #16)

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  1,244 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
How can humans survive and prosper 1500 feet below the earth's surface? Jules Verne successfully weaves a dark, yet magnificent story into this equally dark world. The story takes place in a revived and now prosperous coal mine. Amazingly, life in the mine has everything that one desires, including a lake, fish and attractive homes. Yet there lurks an evil presence. Unexpl
Published February 1st 2001 by Tantor Media (first published 1877)

To ask other readers questions about The Underground City [UNABRIDGED-MP3 CD], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Underground City [UNABRIDGED-MP3 CD]

Aslı Dağlı
Apr 25, 2016 Aslı Dağlı rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ayrintili yorumum ve #heraybirjulesverne etkinligim icin -> instagram: dagli_asli
Jan 24, 2014 Anfenwick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Someone should really rewrite this book as a fairy story with no pretensions to representing real mining in 19th century Scotland. Nell, the child of the caverns, who has never seen the light of day evokes ancient stories of human children raised in underground kingdoms, and supernatural children adopted by humans. There is something bewitchingly and tantalizingly unreal about her, so long as you stick to seeing the story as fantasy. (view spoiler) ...more
Verne wrote some fantastic pieces of fiction, but this is just an above average adventure/love story about people living in a coal mine. It is very interesting with an eye toward how coal used to be mined, and the book is a fun read. Just not something to write home about.
Atilio Frasson
Hacía por lo menos más de cuatro años que no leía un libro de Julio Verne, que es el autor del que más libros leí, en parte, porque por allá en 2005 leí como catorce o quince libros seguidos del autor y me produjo como un hartazgo de Verne.

Luego, en 2011 leí dos del autor que se caracterizaban más por su rareza:
-Uno era "Paris en el siglo XX", que era una novela que Verne le había enviado a su editor Hetzel para ser publicada luego del éxito de su primera novela "Cinco semanas en globo". La no
Aug 25, 2013 dragonhelmuk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jun 11, 2012 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful short story and one of the lesser known novels of Jules Verne. It took me only about two hours to get through it and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It tells the tale of the Scottish city Aberfoyle. The former mine foreman Simon Ford is still living in the mine he used to work in ten years ago. Now, he has found a new vein and informs former friend James Starr of his findings. Strange things start happening as if someone or something didn't want anyone to find the new vein.
Nov 20, 2015 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solidly decent book by a great author, The Underground City is a fun read, but fails to live up to its potential. Sent in central Scotland very near where I once lived, I could relate to the places and activities mentioned, which gave it a firmly grounded sense of location and reality.

Not knowing what to expect, I was impressed by the slow, methodical revelation of the plot. But as I approached the end, I feel it lacked a certain sense of adventure or danger that make Verne's best book so memo
Aug 08, 2010 Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I certainly enjoyed this book (for the most part...the above-ground tourism bored the daylights out of me). It took me back to all my good old days reading Verne. Clever, original setting as you'd expect from Verne. The story was very good. I was quite happy with the ending, as well as with the character of Harry Ford.

I give a mediocre rating because while the book was good, it was by no means outstanding.
John Clark
Although it spends most of its time in a coal mine, this quaint little adventure story doesn't offer much depth. All of the characters are static and direct, and the main thrust of the plot is resolved almost by chance.

From a sustainability perspective, the story is rather ironic, as it glorifies the use of fossil fuels, coal, and mining; and it looks forward to an unending supply of the same.
Jesse Barnes
Aug 06, 2011 Jesse Barnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had some time to read recently due to some long flights. This was a very short read (only took a few hours as I recall), but it was a fun one. Jules Verne explores the mining world of the 19th century, and weaves in a story about an enormous coal vein discovery at a previously abandoned mine. Not as good as "The Lighthouse at the End of the World" but still very entertaining.
Nov 05, 2013 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE UNDERGROUND CITY is a short story by Jules Verne that I had never heard of until I stumbled upon it quite by accident in the library. What else can I say? It’s Jules Verne! I enjoyed it even though it was short and fell short of his typical works. Still, it was entertaining and pure Jules Verne and for that reason, I gave it four stars.
Flturner turner
Apr 21, 2010 Flturner turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This lesser known book by Jules Verne has to do with discovery of a gigantic cavern in a coal mine. People make their homes around an underground lake, but the people are plagued by accidents and strange events.
Living underground was not a unknown action by men but until recent years never on a scale envisioned by Jules Verne.
Steve Rattray
Continuing revisiting books of my childhood, in a way, by reading one from my favourite childhood author that was new to me. It's not the Journey to the Centre of the Earth but set in Scotland I was expecting. Sad. I still love Verne's writing but this is rushed and formulaic.
Céline Sabiron
Aug 05, 2013 Céline Sabiron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book which is too little known in comparison to other books by Verne. Well worth the read especially if you have read some of Scott's Waverley novels since Verne was very much inspired by the Wizard of the North.
Gabrielle Blin
Apr 06, 2014 Gabrielle Blin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jerry M
Jun 19, 2016 Jerry M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old_sci_fi
There have been quite a few new translations of Jules Verne recently, many of works never translated before. This is one was available in an older translation, but this new edition is an improvement with many of the original illustrations.

This book starts out with a fairly good premise, a letter is sent to an engineer inviting him back to meet at a mine that he once managed, a mine that had been abandoned when the coal ran out. Another letter arrives soon afterward advising him not to come. The
Totale découverte avec ce roman, du monde des mines en Angleterre.
Passionnant ! reste à savoir si ces villes dans les fonds de la terre ont réellement existé;
Sep 07, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It starts off slowly, but the thrill just shoots to the sky at the end of the book, up until the last moment. Pretty basic, but quite good nonetheless.
Julian Litke
This was a nice casual read. The first Verne I've read. The characters weren't deep but the idea of the story is very interesting.
May 09, 2008 Tavish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a more "supernatural" story like Journey to the Center of the Earth, but this was an OK read for a quick book.
Mar 02, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story takes place in an abandoned underground coal mine, and it is a very good read. Jules Verne includes a lot of adjectives and strong descriptive terms. The characters seem so real, they grow on you. The book contains so much emotional power, you want to read more. It includes enough tension to keep you interested, but still moves fast enough that you do not lose interest. The story foreshadows other events just enough so you understand the reason certain things happen, but at the same ti ...more
Ruth Santana Valencia
Un relato apasionante lleno de aventuras, magia, leyendas, etc. Recordé porque de niña era mi autor favorito. De hecho el libro lo compré en 1982 con mis domingos pero mi mente infantil de 10 años no le entendió y apenas lo encontré en el librero de casa de mis papás y tiene mi nombre y fecha (30/12/82) con mi puño y letra.
No sé si es el libro o a dónde me envió que disfruté más.
Aunque no es de los libros más conocidos de Julio Verne muy recomendable
Pd. El barco de la portada de la edicion que t
My Inner Shelf
Dix ans après la fermeture de la mine d'Aberfoyle, l'ingénieur James Starr est rappelé sur les lieux par l'ancien overman, Simon Ford. Ayant élu domicile au fond de la mine avec sa femme et son fils, Ford déclare avoir fait une découverte permettant de ré-exploiter la mine. De multiples phénomènes troublants vont se produire, une jeune fille apeurée et mourante sera découverte, et divers dangers menaceront la mine et ses nouveaux habitants.
Les Indes noires de Jules Verne représentent la nouvelle
The first time I read this a fellow Lyster had suggested this book as an inspiration for the then upcoming project of Uru. I read it, and aside from the name of the Loch Katrina (the surface loch above Loch Malcolm inside the cave system, I didn't see much connection. On its own its an interesting short story about some very deep caves, a new miner's city, and the mysterious girl found barely alive deep in the cave system.

It was probably inspired by one or more of the odd tales of refugees from
Jelios Ataliakrouso
Feb 18, 2013 Jelios Ataliakrouso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ap-englsih
An old concept has been reintroduce, had you ever wanted to live below the ground, where the suns eyes cannot penetrate? well the buried concept of an underground city if effectively constructed for the progressing setting. The audacity of the location is somewhat of a wonder to be built without fault, it however did serve a wonderful purpose(unless you feel uncomfortable being subjected to circumstance, in other words, "no way out of death.")I read and read, the sun rose and feel, the moon par ...more
Geert Daelemans
Aug 30, 2013 Geert Daelemans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, frans
A fantastic adventure down a Scottish coal mine

In the Scottish coal mine of Aberfoyle lots of strange things are happening. Everything indicates that some supernatural beings are haunting the deserted mine shafts. A family of three people, still living in that mine - 450 meters bellow the Earth's surface, is convinced that there still is plenty of carbon ready to be mined. When call upon James Starr, a mining engineer, to reopen the nine, not everybody seems to be pleased. The tranquil subterran
This one is a typical Verne novel and a really short one, for that. It has the good guy, handsome and brave, the bad guy, evil and crazy, the friend, funny and good-hearted, and the girl, innocent and beautiful. This time, the novel is about some miners who found a village underground, in the very mine where they work. The fantastic thing about Verne's novels is that they are plagued with data that make everything feel as if it was true or could be achieved. Sometimes this is a pain to read, lik ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Underground City (Extraordinary Voyages #16), Jules Verne
To Mr. F. R. Starr, Engineer, 30 Canongate, Edinburgh.
IF Mr. James Starr will come to-morrow to the Aberfoyle coal-mines, Dochart pit, Yarrow shaft, a communication of an interesting nature will be made to him. "Mr. James Starr will be awaited for, the whole day, at the Callander station, by Harry Ford, son of the old overman Simon Ford."
"He is requested to keep this invitation secret."
and ...
Jaheb Serge
Feb 20, 2011 Jaheb Serge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lu
Jan 19, 2015 Italy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lame, lame and more lame. I was kind of excited to listen to this book by Jules Verne, having always heard his name, known of some of his writing, but never actually read anything. I don't think I'll pick up any more from him. The narrator was even lame. I kept waiting for the story to happen, and maybe I expected something different than what it was, but it never happened. Glad it was short.
  • The Complete Moon Trilogy: The Moon Maid/The Moon Men/The Red Hawk
  • The Haunted House
  • Il corsaro nero
  • The Wheels of Chance: A Bicycling Idyll
  • Maigret Has Doubts
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
  • The Vicar of Bullhampton
  • The Tavern Knight
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Histories
  • Même pas mal (Joséphine, #2)
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages #8)
  • The Blockade Runners (Extraordinary Voyages #8*)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)

“En este país todo contribuye a esa poesía natural iniciada en el corazón de los montañeses: Lo mis­mo sucede en todos los países mon­tañosos. La imaginación está excita­da por estas maravillas, y si los griegos hubiesen vivido en una lla­nura, no hubiesen inventado la mi­tología.” 0 likes