Start by marking “The Case of the Buried Clock” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Buried Clock

The Case of the Buried Clock (Perry Mason #22)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When the evidence on the murder of an embezzler points to the victim's wife, her father makes a point of calling in Perry Mason for help. It's up to the legendary legal eagle to unravel the case's most baffling mystery--a buried clock at the scene of the crime. But as time runs short, the ticking of the clock sounds more and more like the rattling of family skeletons that ...more
Published (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Buried Clock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Buried Clock

Bob
Oct 14, 2013 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Over the last thirty-five years I've read all of the Mason novels at least once, and most several times. This is one of the best.

It was written during the War Years, one of Gardner's best eras. The film-noir feel of the early novels (1934 - 39) was fading. Mason (and Gardner) were mellowing. Mason was no longer the dogged fighter in a world of men scrambling for money and power. He didn't always skate around and over the edge of the law.

Gardner was never a really good writer in the literary sens
Donna
May 16, 2014 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mystery
A really good Perry Mason mystery. Includes a complex (for me) discussion of sidereal (star) time. And Perry almost outwits himself. Pretty sure this was made into a TV episode.
Lemar
Another winner. This one is written during WWII and one is able to feel life during those years in a different way because the War is not a plot point in the novel but just the reality in which it takes place. As always, humor abound, the plot is tight and the characters compelling. What's not to like?
Ed
Aug 05, 2012 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: legal
Average series entry. Perry makes a bad assumption and then has to resort to courtroom heroics to bail himself aout.

Perry Mason series - The buried clock was 25 minutes slow... or was it 35 minutes fast? Mason's explanation of the time difference was that it was keeping sidereal time. He played it up to create a juristication battle between two counties, but the clock disappeared, the juristication was settled, and Mason's client went on trial for the murder of her embezzling husband. Mason's on
Rebecca
Content - Totally baffling most of the way through - I love that. Fast paced and entertaining.

Mechanics - Well written event driven novel.

Squeaky Clean? - A couple bad words.
Max
Now that's what a detective/legal-drama should be like - an entertaining but intelligent romp :D
I was recently bored with a Grisham, but this ~200 page book delivered more with less than a third of the pages Grisham required and did with more style, wit and entertainment.
Perry Mason is called upon to investigate a family murder and defend the wife of the deceased. Amongst the interesting characters (which could've been expanded upon but I digress), the 'Buried Clock' of the title looms but is no
Mukesh Kumar
[3.5 *]
Good ole legal mystery, set in the war years. For someone, who is new to Gardner's universe, not a bad start by any stretch of imagination. The denouement part was a bit fanciful, though liked the build-up and the detailing. Looking forward gleefully, to other works of Gardner.
RL
This Perry Mason story was written during the Second World War and normal daily life provides Perry with one of his clues. There are several WW2 tidbits in the book such as Pacific War Time. This is one of Gardner's weaker stories, but due to the historical factors, I am happy I read it.
Mark Stratton
The best part about this particular Perry Mason novel is that Mason himself gets sidetracked, pulled off to the side by one of his own stunts. It all becomes clear at the end, but it was lots of fun getting there.
Pete Roman
The first part was kind of boring. The story became exciting when Perry Mason had his entrance. It was a very good story. I was kept hooked until the end. The killer was not the person you thought who was.
Curtis Lee
I am a rabid Perry Mason fan and this is my favorite mystery of the bunch. The details of the case get a bit complicated, but I love the characters and the story.
Rijo John
Good book and good mystery!
Denise
A fun, quick read.
Dule
Dule added it
Nov 04, 2014
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Melindam
Melindam marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Julita
Julita marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • Cat Of Many Tails
  • Seven Days From Sunday
  • Extreme Denial
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Strictly For Cash
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • The Edge of Sleep
  • The Red Thumb Mark
  • Bloody Passage
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • Cat and Dog Theology: Rethinking Our Relationship with Our Master. Living Passionately for the Glory of God
  • 5分間ミステリー

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)