Start by marking “The Case of the Rolling Bones (A Perry Mason Mystery)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Rolling Bones (A Perry Mason Mystery)

The Case of the Rolling Bones (Perry Mason #15)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Years ago Alden Leeds found a rich vein of gold in the Klondike. Now his greedy relatives fear he's planning to throw his fortune away on a gold-digging spouse, Emily Milicant. So to prevent the two from joining in holy matrimony, they commit their affluent kin to a sanitarium on a trumped-up charge. Then Leeds escapes, only to end up in the company of Emily's blackmailing ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published November 12th 1985 by Ballantine Books (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Rolling Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Rolling Bones

Victoria Mixon
Oh, I love Gardner. The legal aspects of courtroom drama---however overblown---are the perfect environment in which to yank the reader's chain from anxiety to anxiety, page after page, plot twist after plot twist.

Yank, yank, yank.

This one's a little difficult to follow because he uses the same relationship trick---a younger, poorer woman being prevented by jealous family from marrying an older, much richer man---twice. I was stopping now and then to tip my head back and try to get the relationsh
Stven
Several of the more striking incidents from the files of Perry Mason transpire in this story. Not only "Where's the fire?" and "That's him!" but also the arcus senilus testimony scene. My note shows it was 2002 the last time I read this, but those clever little plot points, as well as the way Perry figures out how the time of death has been confused, I greeted as old friends.
Elderberrywine
I just want to mention what a satisfying book this was on a physical level. It was a 1947 Pocket Book edition I read, and it was indeed just that - a paperback of a perfect shape to slip into one's pocket. There was a spicy synopsis on the back, and a wonderfully lurid cover with a pair of dice rolling out from a dead man's hand, the snake-eyes replaced by grinning skulls. And then the best part. A list of all the characters with snappy descriptions (Della Street - who is not only Mason's girl F ...more
Ravie
The awesome threesome of Perry Mason, Paul Drake and Della Street make this a totally enjoyable and entertaining courtroom mystery. I thought that the legal wrangle was nicely brought out in the courtroom sequences, and the climax is a complete winner. The Rolling Bones follows the usual Perry Mason template, but is nonetheless a perfect way to unwind!
Sloweducation
This my second Gardner book and first Perry Mason. I was disappointed but not surprised to discover that Mason is in the mold of other cookie-cutter hotshots of the era. Good writing, complex plot, tortured exposition. I frankly got a bit lost with the plot. Too many characters had variable names or identities. While I tend to breeze through the mysteries I read, I cannot recall ever being as befuddled as I was with this book. I have nothing against a complex plot, but the extraordinary obfuscat ...more
Ed
Aug 15, 2012 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: legal
#15 in the Perry Mason series. An unusual aspect in this above average series entry, in that in addition to establishing his client's innocence, Perry must spring him from a sanitarium.

Perry Mason series - Years ago Alden Leeds found a rich vein of gold in the Klondike. Now his greedy relatives fear he's planning to throw his fortune away on a gold-digger, Emily Milicant. They commit their affluent kin to a sanitarium on a trumped-up charge. Leeds escapes, only to end up in the company of Emily'
DavidO
This case gets a bit confusing because there are more names than usual being thrown around, though by the end it became less confusing. Overall, it seemed like a pretty average case for Perry Mason.
Syrdarya
I listened to this book in audio form and I would definitely recommend against it; what with the number of switched identities and aliases, this is a book that works better in printed form. I can't even exactly describe what the book is about, except that an elderly man disappears and his family (?) is concerned that a woman is taking advantage of him, and in the past that same man was in the Klondike with a friend and greed and jealousy led to a lot of switched names and identities.
Nancy
really good, for Erle Stanley Gardner. Like all of the earlier books, he is concerned with pointing out loopholes in CA law and unfairnesses in the legal system.
and the plotting is neat with convincing clues--something that went completely out the window in his later books.
Donna
Sep 06, 2009 Donna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Perry's loyal readers
Shelves: mystery
This is a really, really confusing case with many people assuming multiple aliases and two murders of the same person. It's a TV episode and, as I recall, pretty confusing that way too. The "rolling bones" have virtually nothing to do with the story.
Stephanie
Wicked fun read. Very quick, rollicking detective/lawyer story. Good dialog and if the story was a teeny bit far fetched it was all for good entertainment. Even the characters seemed to enjoy it!
Robin Hardy
Gardner's plots are always great, but you have to pay attention to follow the twists. The characterizations in this one are also better than in most of the Perry Masons I've read.
Wanda
I hadn't read a Perry Mason story for a long time. It's certainly dated but a pretty good tale.
Rijo John
Too many details to keep track of but as usual good.
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Swati
Swati added it
Apr 26, 2015
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
4cats
4cats marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Luther Austin-Brecher
Luther Austin-Brecher is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
  • The Door Between
  • The R Document
  • The Disgraceful Duke
  • The Mammaries of the Welfare State
  • The Judas Window (Sir Henry Merrivale, #8)
  • Death of a Dude (Nero Wolfe, #44)
  • The Wrecking Crew (Matt Helm, #2)
  • A. R. Rahman: The Spirit Of Music (Free Music Cd)
  • The Unpublished David Ogilvy
  • Savage Interlude
  • Leopard in the Snow
  • Palmistry: The Language of the Hand
  • Wheels for the World: Henry Ford, His Company, and a Century of Progress
  • Charlie Chan Carries On (Charlie Chan, #5)
  • Colonialism and Neocolonialism

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series)