Start by marking “Into the Blue (Dolphin Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Blue (Dolphin Diaries, #1)

Into the Blue (Dolphin Diaries #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  636 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Jody McGrath's dolphin dreams are coming true! Her whole family is sailing around the world researching dolphins - and Jody is recording all their exciting adventures in her dolphin diaries

Jody can't believe her dolphin voyage has begun. A whole world of discovery awaits her aboard the Dolphin Dreamer.

But an unexpected passenger threatens to spoil the trip of a lifetime.
Published May 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Blue

Ripple by Tui AllenThe Music of Dolphins by Karen HesseThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'DellThe Dolphins of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Books with Dolphins on the Cover
10th out of 18 books — 15 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best Books About Animals
290th out of 868 books — 1,263 voters

More lists with this book...

I enjoyed reading about a girl 3 month adventure on a boat studying dolphins. I liked it and hope you do too. It made me want to read it all night when I got to the climax. I am going to try and read the full series. She faced some challenges and it wasn't always smooth sailing for her and her family. It wounder what other adventures she will go on with her family it was also very descriptive I felt like Iwas on the boat with them to whole time. All though I gave the book 4 stares because I felt ...more
Amy
Into the blue by Ben M. Baglio Review

wow, what a trip down memory lane. This was one of my favorite series as a kid, and not only is it one of the first books I ever bought for myself, this series introduced me to a love of dolphins that has stuck with me throughout my entire life. I even came close to majoring in Biology as my field of study because of this. It was nice to start rereading the books that made me fall in love with reading when was younger, without this series I might very well ha
Boto
One of my first series. I love this series so much. It kept me reading and helped me build up my addiction to reading, plus who doesn't like reading about tropical places and dolphins :)
Natalie Casey
Yes, I'm 21 and not ashamed to admit to reading this. I love dolphins and anything to do with the ocean and just felt like some light reading. I've always enjoyed browsing kids books and was really pleased when I bought a second hand copy of this.

The plot isn't too detailed, but it's fun and I can definitely imagine I would really have loved reading these as a young girl. I liked how enthusiastic the main character Jody was and often found myself feeling annoyed at the remarks made by unexpecte
Author Girl
I really loved this book because it's about dolphins!

Here's a short summary: Jody is really exited because she and her family are going to study dolphins on a boat! Then Henry's (the captain) daughter Brittany get on board and starts acting like a brat. On the first day Jody tries to make friends, but no luck. She's also disappointed that she hasn't seen any dolphins. But after dinner she's on deck and finds one! She names him Apollo. Apollo and Jody become friends, as much as a dolphin and huma
Kim
Jul 21, 2014 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tweens that like dolphins
Shelves: children, fiction
Preteen Jody and her scientific family sail around the world researching dolphins and she records their exciting adventures in her diaries--the first book in this new series. The family is to study the traits and characteristics of dolphins and share this information through a new university of knowledge that Jody's family founded. Very cute book for a lower reader. Definitely okay for a class library shelf.
Max
This is one of the first books/series I got into as a kid and it made me want to read. I'm now in college and still remember the feelings I had reading them- I even read them to my little sister when she can't sleep at night. I love them just as much now as I did then and I think that's the truest testament to the quality of the books.
Shannon H
This book was amazing! Brittany accused Jody of boasting about how smart, great, and how the Dolphin Universe was her idea. But, Jody didn't really do that. All Jody did was, ask Dr. Jefferson Taylor if it was possible to see where the school of dolphins (they met earlier) were. But, Brittany accused, and Jody didn't get angry. I think Jody and I think alike. We both think that maybe, just maybe, Brittany would realize that it wasn't all about her, and that her attitude needed a check. A big che ...more
Hayley Barrett
A kid's book series i figured i'd read before getting to old...not that you're ever too old to read something, but i expected a cheesy story line-- nope, well worth the read, especially if you like dolphins.
Judith
Loved this when I was about Jody's age. I was crazy about dolphins and insanely jealous that she got to go on this trip and I didn't. Ran to the store every time a new book came out.
Kelsey Ruggirello
Jodys family is traveling all over looking and researching Dolphins and she writes all about it in her diary
April Prever
My daughter gave it 5 stars saying "it's a great book for children who love dolphins. In the book, Jody, a 12 year old girl, keeps a diary about her family's adventures on a scientific expedition to study dolphins on their boat, Dolphin Dreamer."
Jody Bradley
Loved this book when I was younger
Kira Budge
I loved this series as a kid.
Michaela O'dowd
Never finished it
Lydia Rose
I liked it. It's about a girl who loves dolphins named Jody. Her whole family is going on a boat out to sea for a long time.
Jillian
It is a great book. I would highly recommend it. It is about a girl named Jody who goes on an expedition with her family to research dolphins and we get to read her diary!
Kinsey
Do you like dolphins well if you do you need to read this book and not put it down. you will discover some amazing diaries from a girls heart!!!!! Will you change you mind when you see an animal in the road you might want to help it if you help save its life it will help your life and you might just realize what animals really are in the human life they make our day brighter light up our expresions when we feel like we are down or mad remember you can't give up!!!
Kayla
Into the blue is the first in the dolphin diaries series. Jody and her family go on an adventure around the world and go to different dolphin research labs. on their trip they run into a huge storm and their boat tips over. they think they are stranded in the middle of the ocean but a dolphin comes and rescues them. i would use this in a science class as a preview to the new topic we would start talking about which would be the ocean.
Taylor
Judy and her family are going a really great dolphin voyage! judy is really excited. Now the dolphin voyage has begun. A whole world of descovery awaits her abourd her dad's very own ship the dolphin dreamer.
But an unexpected passanger threatans to spoil the trip of a lifetime. On there trip a sudden storm puts jody's life in danger.who can she turn to for saving her life? Who can she trust? GREAT BOOK! i love loved it!
Katie
Oct 18, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Dolphin diaries is my favorite series!! Being a future Marine Biologist this is a great marine life book.It is about a girl who's parents are Marine Biologists and they have a Boat named the Dolphin Dreamer.Jody is there daughter. She will be out of school for a year with her parents on the boat researching dolphins with them.But when a storm comes and she goes overboard will a dolphin save her? Or will it be too late?
Tami
This review is written by Ella, my 6 year old.
This book is about a girl named Jody and her family. They are on a boat studying dolphins in action. Jody met a mean girl named Brittany. Brittany's mom lied to her. Jody made friends with a dolphin. She named him Apollo. I like the idea of going on a boat and watching dolphins. I liked this book.
Lisa
Oct 10, 2012 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 3rd, 4th, 5th, series
What an easy recommendation. I think I could find quite a few girls to hand this to (I mean, who isn't at least a little into dolphins as a little girl??). Nothing inappropriate, a bratty girl who needs a little bit of an attitude change is obviously making the wrong decisions, and a solid family dynamic. Liked it lots.
Koverdiek
This is a great series for young children at about the 4th grade level. There is adventure and some danger but very few scary parts. My girls both loved the whole series. The characters are realistic, right down to the annoying younger twin brothers. Great read for any age.
Kip
This was a fun book. Simple, yet entertaining. There was nothing masterful in the storytelling, but nothing so trite or forced as to ruin the story. I recommend it, especially for anyone interested in oceans, sailing, and especially dolphins.
Kimberly
its about dolphins duh i love it~ anyway celine- this is where i get most of my random tidbits of dolphin facts. I love this series... Miss Lazo gave me this book witha dolphin mood necklace.. sniff.. i feel a little setimental
Mack Klyne
I really like this book, I am strting a book report on it, before my parent teacher intervies to show my Dad.I f I am not finished on that day after school I will work on it. I really love it.
Kim
I loved dolphins as a child, so back when I was in fifth grade I began this series. I actually quite enjoy it. I love all of the characters. It's a great series for middle schoolers.
  • Kittens in the Kitchen (Animal Ark, #1)
  • Sabrina Goes To Rome (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #53)
  • Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)
  • Chrissa (American Girl Today)
  • The Book of Three, Volume 2 (Charmed)
  • Judy Moody's Double-Rare Way-Not-Boring Book of Fun Stuff to Do
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Faraway Filly (Phantom Stallion: Wild Horse Island, #10)
  • The Private Notebook of Katie Roberts, Age 11
  • Arabian Challenge (Thoroughbred, #22)
  • Horror at the Haunted House
  • All That Glitters (Avalon: Web of Magic, #2)
  • Rock the Waves (Hannah Montana (Disney Press Unnumbered))
  • Katie, Batter Up! (Cupcake Diaries, #5)
  • Flying High (My Secret Unicorn, #3)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
Ben M. Baglio created the brief for two series of children's books - Dolphin Diaries and Animal Ark. Dolphin Diaries features a girl and her family from Florida, who travel around the world as marine biologists and study dolphins. Animal Ark features two children who work together to help animals and solve animal-related mysteries. The books were written by commissioned writers in the UK under Bag ...more
More about Ben M. Baglio...

Dolphin Diaries (10 books)
  • Touching the Waves (Dolphin Diaries #2)
  • Riding the Storm (Dolphin Diaries #3)
  • Under the Stars (Dolphin Diaries #4)
  • Chasing the Dream (Dolphin Diaries #5)
  • Racing the Wind (Dolphin Diaries #6)
  • Following the Rainbow (Dolphin Diaries #7)
  • Dancing the Seas (Dolphin Diaries, #8)
  • Leaving The Shallows (Dolphin Diaries #9)
  • Beyond the Sunrise (Dolphin Diaries #10)
Dog at the Door (Animal Ark, #25) Sheepdog in the Snow (Animal Ark, #7) Foals in the Field (Animal Ark, #24) Mare in the Meadow (Animal Ark, #31) Tabby in the Tub (Animal Ark, #29)

“Sometimes i think you were a dolphin in a previous life,” 5 likes