Start by marking “Red Light Winter” as Want to Read:
Red Light Winter

Red Light Winter

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It's totally familiar but dreamlike at the same time," observes one American of Amsterdam's notorious Red Light District in the stunning new work from Adam Rapp. Escaping their lives in Manhattan, former college buddies Matt and Davis take off to the Netherlands and find themselves thrown into a bizarre love triangle with a beautiful young prostitute named Christina. But t ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Red Light Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Light Winter

Carla
Jonathan Francisco
Well, what can I say? He broke my heart with The Year of Endless Sorrows. He broke my heart again with this one. It's like being inlove with someone who's inlove with someone else.

Exactly.
Asa Merritt
Two dudes and a prostitute. Love triangle. Powerful ending.
Phil Keeling
What does one say about a beautifully written story that they gained nothing from? Rapp's style and dialogue are absurdly good, and yet I came away from this play with a pointless bleakness that I hadn't felt in some time.

Don't misunderstand me: I do not mind sad endings. The literary world is filled with masterpieces that resolve in tragedy: and for good reason. I, however, was unconvinced as to the hows and whys of Rapp's dirge-like ending.

Rapp's dialogue is terrific--I'll give him that. The w
Lonnie

Probably my favorite contemporary play. There's a substantial amount of vulgarity that is innate to Rapp, but it's worthwhile to look past it and see how touching and smart the story is. It's the kind of story where you recognize aspects of yourself though the details are completely different.
Laura Baker
Very male-centered - doesn't give much consideration to a female point of view. It still has it's place, I suppose. Very engaging and exciting (especially for what is essentially a story about two white dudes).
Matt
This is a play that examines the way we fill the emptiness in our lives so well that there is no way you won't be thinking about this one after you’re done with it.

Lindsay Harris
It excited me and broke my heart. Read the play, then the introduction, then read the play again. The last scene will be different for you.
Stephanie Franco
Tragic ending. Wicked. How could something like that happen? Why should it? I feel for each of them. Adam Rapp is exquisite. He is a great writer.
Mark
I wasn't a huge fan of this play. It was interesting and I liked it and almost played the main role, but it's not my first choice.
Colleen
Haunting and heartbreaking. This play pushes the envelope the way good theatre should, daring to ask the questions that should be asked.
Chris Gordon
Pretty dark but I enjoyed the plot.
Jess
Didn't actually read it, but I saw the play at Theatre Exile in Philadelphia, Pa. It was amazing. Great writing.
Meghan
A real heart breaker, I had to reread the ending at least three times to make sure it actually happened.
Matt
Nov 03, 2013 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
The play has a strong first act, but is absolutely lacking in the second, though I can't exactly say how.
Bunny
Again, great dialogue among his characters.
Jeremy
Apr 12, 2008 Jeremy added it
Crazy awesome
Charlie Cook
Charlie Cook marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sofia Smith
Sofia Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Austin
Austin is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Serena Sportelli
Serena Sportelli marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Iwona Ło
Iwona Ło marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • The Cripple of Inishmaan
  • Other Desert Cities
  • This is Our Youth
  • The Kentucky Cycle
Adam Rapp says that when he was working on his chilling, compulsively readable young adult novel 33 SNOWFISH, he was haunted by several questions. Among them: "When we have nowhere to go, who do we turn to? Why are we sometimes drawn to those who are deeply troubled? How far do we have to run before we find new possibilities?"

At once harrowing and hypnotic, 33 SNOWFISH--which was nominated as a Be
More about Adam Rapp...
Punkzilla 33 Snowfish Under the Wolf, Under the Dog The Year of Endless Sorrows The Children and the Wolves