Doctor Who: Peacemaker

Doctor Who: Peacemaker (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #21)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  783 ratings  ·  58 reviews
The peace and quiet of a remote homestead in the 1880s American West is shattered by the arrival of two shadowy outriders searching for 'the healer'. When the farmer refuses to help them, they raze the house to the ground using guns that shoot bolts of energy instead of bullets...

In the town of Redwater, the Doctor and Martha learn of a snake-oil salesman whose patent medi...more
Published December 26th 2007 by BBC Books (first published February 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Jonathan MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Justin Richards
Doctor Who Books
19th out of 197 books — 75 voters
South of Bixby Bridge by Ryan WinfieldA Soul to Steal by Rob BlackwellThe Darkening Dream by Andy GavinDoctor Who Encyclopedia by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Mark Morris
Partly Cloudy with a Chance of TARDIS
8th out of 56 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Another point in favor of the hypothesis that the Doctor Who new series adventures are getting stronger as the series progresses. In fact, I might have been tempted to give it four stars were it not for a slightly hokey bit at the climax, and the presence of a fairly stock "noble savage" Pawnee Indian character who dies nobly to save our heroes.

On the plus side, Swallow's got a gift for weaving in tiny little continuity references for the fans to catch (without bogging down the story), and he's...more
D.L. Morrese
This book would have made a very good episode of the “new” Doctor Who series. It is almost of parody of gunslinger type Westerns (of which I am not a fan) but with a Who twist. The characters of both the Doctor and Martha Jones are written true to the TV show. The Doctor with all his whimsical charm and Martha with her determined confidence face the Clad, an alien warrior race whose members embody themselves in weapons through which they inhabit their hosts.
Is this great literature? No. Does it...more
Julia
Martha and the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) wind up in very small towns in the Wild West in the 1880’s chasing down a patent medicine peddler, who is healing people with smallpox. Of course he’s using an alien weapon and there are other aliens who are killing people to find it. The aliens, it turns out, are weapons, originally called Peacemakers.

There's some fun dialogue here, but Walking Crow, as a character, was a disappointment. He is an archetype, not a character. But I want to know how the...more
Daniel Kukwa
Well, who would have guessed it: a western I actually enjoyed. It's the second time "Doctor Who" has managed to make this genre palatable...although, unlike the previous occasion (1966's "The Gunfighters") this is an all-out-epic of cowboys vs aliens. There's even a visceral moment when you experience the Time War at its height. A very surprising book.
Ilse
Overall, I've loved this story. A few references at the end really made my day (both classic who quotes like "wanderer of the fourth dimension", and the book The Time Machine by HG Wells).

I have 2 points of criticism:
- If the Doctor is taking a companion to "the wild west" aka cowboy time in the 1880s, why doesn't he provide them with a bulletproof vest before they leave the TARDIS?
- The sonic screwdriver can do a lot of things, but I cannot believe it to include a sonic bullet shield of compres...more
Sara
One of the stars of the new Who books, I think. Not quite as brilliant as 'The Resurrection Casket' but darned close. It's not often we get to see the Doctor in the Wild West, where the law of the gun ruled. For you Firefly fans out there, pay close attention to the writer's dialogue! It's obvious he's a Whedon fan.
Avarill
One of the better new Who tie-in books. Listened to it on a long (long!) drive and quite enjoyed it. As a bonus, Martha was written well and proved helpful to the plot. Sometimes these books relegate the companion to endless variations on: "Doctor, what's going on?" But not here, not Martha. Nicely done.
Monika
Apr 19, 2008 Monika rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children or grown Doctor Who fans
A good, solid story, though a bit of a deus-ex-machina in the end. Still convincing.
Zycroft
Brilliant! I was blown away by the characterisations. So many of the New Series Adventures (NSA) have cookie-cutter characters that bear no resemblance to the characters on the show, but this novel was clearly written as a Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones adventure.

I despise westerns. Despise probably isn't strong enough a word, actually. I loathe them with ever fibre of my being. And there were a few paragraphs here and there where I caught myself skimming instead of reading, but it held my attent...more
Jules
Nathaniel ΘΣ
Jun 30, 2011 Nathaniel ΘΣ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans
This is a Doctor Who novel featuring the Doctor in his Tenth incarnation with Martha Jones. In this book, they travel to the American West in the 1880s and discover a travelling medicine man appears to actually be able to cure disease.

This does seem very much like a typical Western, just in book form. It has all the clichés and stereotypical characters: tough sheriff, lonely schoolmarm, token Native American, and local youth who wants to be older than he is so he can be involved. Even the plot...more
Melyssa
Le Docteur emmène Martha en vacances dans un western-pour-de-vrai, et c'est balot pour moi parce que ce petit détour n'est pas fait pour être lu quelques mois après A Town Called Mercy. Mais je l'ai fait, et donc ça c'est un chouille mélangé dans ma tête. D'autant qu'on retrouve l'arme génétiquement modifiée et la notion de "entre le noir et le blanc, il y a le gris" - certes à peine effleurée ici contrairement à l'épisode où elle se place en son coeur. Mais bref, du coup je me suis parasitée mo...more
Angela
The Doctor and Martha go the Wild West when they can't get to see a Western at the cinema. Someone is mysteriously curing smallpox, and there are 2 alien killers after him. This is a fun story that would have made a good tv episode. Martha is well written, using her medical knowledge and her complete faith in the Doctor. The ending is memorable. A good read.
Megan
This was a fun read. I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy the story, since it takes place in the Wild West, but I needn't have worried. The story was very entertaining and, as with all DW novels, a fast read.

The characterization of the Doctor and Martha were spot on in my opinion. I was able to picture everything they did as though the actors playing them were doing it, which is something I love.

The only thing I didn't care for was the weird way the western people spoke. I've read many...more
Jon Huff
This one really is special, and probably one of the best of the New Series books. That's saying something, as it was one of the last that I purchased. I'm not really a huge fan of westerns to be honest, but James Swallow got me hooked on this book despite that.

The menace in this book is actually very clever and a neat Sci-Fi idea. The whole book is very well executed, other then one scene where a tense situation is sort of undermined by the need for a lot of explanations of the motivations of t...more
Benjamin Russell Peters
Headline or summary for your review

Headline or summary for your review

I would rate this book 5 stars and recommend i t for readers who l i k e science fiction.
Bruce
The Doctor and Martha Jones materialize in the Wild West, although the Doctor cautions Marsha that it’s not called that yet. The town of Redwater is being terrorized by two zombie desperados with some very potent lightning spouting side arms. They demand the whereabouts of a snake oil salesman that passed through recently. The extraordinary thing about his medicine was that it really worked. It cured many in town of the smallpox. Anxiety and horrific nightmares are, however, common side effects....more
Jason
Truly embarrassing accents and performance by the reader.
Diane Heath
in some ways similar to a Matt Smith episode
Ben Tumulty
Very, Very, Good
Leslie
The climax of this book didn't go quite where I think it should have.

*Spoilers*

The Doctor had the opportunity to rewrite the software of these alien killing machines that had overridden their initial programming, killed their creators, and were on a killing spree throughout the galaxy. He did overwrite their programming, but rather than allowing the command module to update the other machines and then propagate a new code throughout the galaxy. He only destroyed the three on Earth. Hmmmph.
M
I put off getting this one because I feared the Western cliches. I needn't have worried. The story was actually quite good. There were some ccowboy cliches, but they didn't drown out the Doctor.
The Clade were an interesting enemy, and I loved all the Classic Doctor Who references--the Venusian lullaby made me laugh out loud.
Martha and the Doctor were well portrayed, even if the other characters were a bit hollow.
If you love the Doctor, read it!
Siskoid Albert
Perfectly serviceable - the period is well rendered, the villains fairly memorable, and the regulars are recognizable - but suffers perhaps from being too much like some of the tv episodes. I was frequently reminded of Family of Blood and, especially, 42. But being derivative has the side-effect of feeling like an authentic piece of the whole, I suppose. Nice idea with the Doctor fighting living weapons though.
Shelley
Pretty good, really. The author had a good grasp of the character voices, and was able to work in references to past adventures and characters without bogging the text down. (Captain Jack, aww!) The aliens were creepy and I like when they point out that the Doctor's not always made the best decisions. And, okay, the Martha/Doctor shipper in me appreciated some bits especially. *g* Fun stuff.
Noah Soudrette
A superb read. In all his 45 years of existence, the Doctor has only had one other wild west adventure told, so it was a great opportunity and experience to see him there again. I was a bit afraid it would be too cheesy, but the book is quite serious, creepy, and thrilling. This is easily the best New Who novel I've read so far, with Stealers of Dreams coming a close second.
Summer
I loved the fact that this book was set in the "Old West." I have always liked the fact that when the Doctor makes friends he goes out of his way to protect them (truth be told though that they would not be in the mess if it weren't for the Doctor in the first place.)The "Bad Guys" left something to be desired but overall a good book. On to the next Doctor Who adventure!
Mike
hope the others in the set are better...
X5-494

Another DW audiobook read by the amazingly talented Will Thorp.

I really, really liked that one. It’s captivating, thrilling and very well written. Admittedly, I had a hard time imagining Ten and Martha in the “Wild West”, but strangely they totally fit in there. Plus, the location is not exactly the problem here. ;)

Very nice.
H3dakota
Not a fan of the stories that take place in the Wild West. Matters were made worse by listening to the audiobook, read by Will Thorpe. I wish they would find someone else to read these stories if they insist on attempting American accents. I like his reading on the books that do not take place in the U.S., but this one & Forever Autumn, no.
Jordan
Very good story.
Doctor Who Book Club: **MAIN DISCUSSION** --Spoilers 2 5 Sep 23, 2012 11:01AM
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
  • Doctor Who: The Last Dodo
  • Doctor Who: Judgement of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426
  • The Doctor Trap (Doctor Who (Doctor Who)
James Swallow is a British author and scriptwriter, a New York Times Bestseller and BAFTA nominee. He is the author of over thirty-five original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes The Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 4...more
More about James Swallow...
The Flight of the Eisenstein Nemesis Fear to Tread Deus Ex: Icarus Effect The Blood Angels Omnibus, Volume 1