Start by marking “Doctor Who: Peacemaker” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Peacemaker

Doctor Who: Peacemaker (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #21)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,051 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
The peace and quiet of a remote homestead in the 1880s American West is shattered by the arrival of two shadowy outriders searching for 'the healer'. When the farmer refuses to help them, they raze the house to the ground using guns that shoot bolts of energy instead of bullets...

In the town of Redwater, the Doctor and Martha learn of a snake-oil salesman whose patent medi
Published December 26th 2007 by BBC Books (first published February 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Jonathan    MorrisDoctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary Russell
Doctor Who Books
32nd out of 288 books — 111 voters
South of Bixby Bridge by Ryan WinfieldA Soul to Steal by Rob BlackwellThe Darkening Dream by Andy GavinDoctor Who Encyclopedia by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Mark Morris
Partly Cloudy with a Chance of TARDIS
8th out of 56 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Brooklyn Tayla
Though I typically am not a crazy fan of the Wild West, I did enjoy this novel featuring the Tenth Doctor and Martha. It was written well; I could hear the characters voices as I read the words. Pretty fast paced.
Kimberley doruyter
Aug 11, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it liked it
i don't like the wild west much but i did enjoy this book.
Jim C
Oct 09, 2014 Jim C rated it really liked it
A book based on the television show Doctor Who. This novel features the 10th Doctor and his companion Martha Jones. In this novel they travel back in time to the Old West. When they arrive they come to find out a person is curing smallpox which is impossible since this cure is not around yet. Their investigation leads them to a device which aliens are attempting to recover and these aliens do not care how they recover the item.

When I read a media tie-in book I try to picture if I would enjoy thi
Wendy
Feb 18, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: doctorwho, sf-fantasy
Another point in favor of the hypothesis that the Doctor Who new series adventures are getting stronger as the series progresses. In fact, I might have been tempted to give it four stars were it not for a slightly hokey bit at the climax, and the presence of a fairly stock "noble savage" Pawnee Indian character who dies nobly to save our heroes.

On the plus side, Swallow's got a gift for weaving in tiny little continuity references for the fans to catch (without bogging down the story), and he's
D.L. Morrese
Feb 08, 2012 D.L. Morrese rated it it was amazing
This book would have made a very good episode of the “new” Doctor Who series. It is almost of parody of gunslinger type Westerns (of which I am not a fan) but with a Who twist. The characters of both the Doctor and Martha Jones are written true to the TV show. The Doctor with all his whimsical charm and Martha with her determined confidence face the Clad, an alien warrior race whose members embody themselves in weapons through which they inhabit their hosts.
Is this great literature? No. Does it

Title: Peacemaker
Series: Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #21
Author: James Swallow
Overall Rating: 3.8 stars

This was the one that I couldn't remember what happened in. As a kid I was a massive Doctor Who fan, like I knew every single thing about the series and nobody could challenge me on it, but if someone had asked me about this book I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything about it, but rereading it, I actually enjoyed it.

The Doctor and Mar
Ryan
Mar 22, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: books-in-2015
I never really have much to say about Doctor Who books. Mainly because i assume that anyone reading this knows what it's all about and so saying that reading one of these stories is like watching an episode is usually sufficiant.

This particular adventure takes place in the wild west and basically plays out like a classic western but with the doctor who twist of alien phenomena.
The characters are clearly written and easy to imagine with their western accents and the writer does a good job at br
Julia
Mar 06, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it
Martha and the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) wind up in very small towns in the Wild West in the 1880’s chasing down a patent medicine peddler, who is healing people with smallpox. Of course he’s using an alien weapon and there are other aliens who are killing people to find it. The aliens, it turns out, are weapons, originally called Peacemakers.

There's some fun dialogue here, but Walking Crow, as a character, was a disappointment. He is an archetype, not a character. But I want to know how the
Daniel Kukwa
May 31, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Well, who would have guessed it: a western I actually enjoyed. It's the second time "Doctor Who" has managed to make this genre palatable...although, unlike the previous occasion (1966's "The Gunfighters") this is an all-out-epic of cowboys vs aliens. There's even a visceral moment when you experience the Time War at its height. A very surprising book.
Ilse
Jun 26, 2014 Ilse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, doctor-who
Overall, I've loved this story. A few references at the end really made my day (both classic who quotes like "wanderer of the fourth dimension", and the book The Time Machine by HG Wells).

I have 2 points of criticism:
- If the Doctor is taking a companion to "the wild west" aka cowboy time in the 1880s, why doesn't he provide them with a bulletproof vest before they leave the TARDIS?
- The sonic screwdriver can do a lot of things, but I cannot believe it to include a sonic bullet shield of compres
Sara
Apr 08, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
One of the stars of the new Who books, I think. Not quite as brilliant as 'The Resurrection Casket' but darned close. It's not often we get to see the Doctor in the Wild West, where the law of the gun ruled. For you Firefly fans out there, pay close attention to the writer's dialogue! It's obvious he's a Whedon fan.
Avarill
One of the better new Who tie-in books. Listened to it on a long (long!) drive and quite enjoyed it. As a bonus, Martha was written well and proved helpful to the plot. Sometimes these books relegate the companion to endless variations on: "Doctor, what's going on?" But not here, not Martha. Nicely done.
Tracy Enright
Feb 07, 2015 Tracy Enright rated it really liked it
This novel is about David Tennant's Doctor and his companion Martha. They arrive in the Wild West to discover there's something odd about a travelling snake-oil salesmen – his cures are so successful people are recovering from smallpox. The Doctor and Martha set out to discover the secret to his success.

This is one of the best novelisations I've read with the bad guys above the usual run-of-the-mill bloodthirsty aliens. There's plenty of action and pace. You don't need to have read previous book
Zycroft
May 04, 2012 Zycroft rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! I was blown away by the characterisations. So many of the New Series Adventures (NSA) have cookie-cutter characters that bear no resemblance to the characters on the show, but this novel was clearly written as a Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones adventure.

I despise westerns. Despise probably isn't strong enough a word, actually. I loathe them with ever fibre of my being. And there were a few paragraphs here and there where I caught myself skimming instead of reading, but it held my attent
Jules
Apr 29, 2009 Jules rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Nathaniel ΘΣ
Jun 30, 2011 Nathaniel ΘΣ rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans
This is a Doctor Who novel featuring the Doctor in his Tenth incarnation with Martha Jones. In this book, they travel to the American West in the 1880s and discover a travelling medicine man appears to actually be able to cure disease.

This does seem very much like a typical Western, just in book form. It has all the clichés and stereotypical characters: tough sheriff, lonely schoolmarm, token Native American, and local youth who wants to be older than he is so he can be involved. Even the plot
Melyssa
Feb 16, 2013 Melyssa rated it liked it
Shelves: vo, doctorwho
Le Docteur emmène Martha en vacances dans un western-pour-de-vrai, et c'est balot pour moi parce que ce petit détour n'est pas fait pour être lu quelques mois après A Town Called Mercy. Mais je l'ai fait, et donc ça c'est un chouille mélangé dans ma tête. D'autant qu'on retrouve l'arme génétiquement modifiée et la notion de "entre le noir et le blanc, il y a le gris" - certes à peine effleurée ici contrairement à l'épisode où elle se place en son coeur. Mais bref, du coup je me suis parasitée mo ...more
Anna
Oct 16, 2015 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
This would have been a great episode of the show itself! (even in Radio-play format)
It's one massive parody of a Wild West movie, with Martha & Ten written in full OTP mode.

The set-up winds up really well, but in the 3rd act slams on the brakes for info-dumps and starts to drag a bit. Really doesn't help that at one point The Doctor is giving a full history lesson on the Planet & Tech they're up against for a few pages as the villains in question literally stand in front of him just wait
Angela
Jun 20, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
The Doctor and Martha go the Wild West when they can't get to see a Western at the cinema. Someone is mysteriously curing smallpox, and there are 2 alien killers after him. This is a fun story that would have made a good tv episode. Martha is well written, using her medical knowledge and her complete faith in the Doctor. The ending is memorable. A good read.
René
Apr 15, 2016 René rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a good enough story, even with the ending being a little convoluted. This story did remind me of how frustrating it was to deal with Martha's annoying crush on The Doctor all the time. Just like in the show, it didn't add to the story at all and irritated me. But, that aside, the story was fine.
Megan
Mar 02, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy the story, since it takes place in the Wild West, but I needn't have worried. The story was very entertaining and, as with all DW novels, a fast read.

The characterization of the Doctor and Martha were spot on in my opinion. I was able to picture everything they did as though the actors playing them were doing it, which is something I love.

The only thing I didn't care for was the weird way the western people spoke. I've read many
Jon Huff
Feb 17, 2012 Jon Huff rated it really liked it
This one really is special, and probably one of the best of the New Series books. That's saying something, as it was one of the last that I purchased. I'm not really a huge fan of westerns to be honest, but James Swallow got me hooked on this book despite that.

The menace in this book is actually very clever and a neat Sci-Fi idea. The whole book is very well executed, other then one scene where a tense situation is sort of undermined by the need for a lot of explanations of the motivations of t
Benjamin Russell Peters
Headline or summary for your review

Headline or summary for your review

I would rate this book 5 stars and recommend i t for readers who l i k e science fiction.
Jasmiina F
Jul 29, 2015 Jasmiina F rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. I could have easily imagined this was an episode of Doctor Who and James Swallow wrote perfectly the characters. I don't usually like Martha that much but she was pretty cool in this story.
Bruce
Apr 30, 2009 Bruce rated it really liked it
The Doctor and Martha Jones materialize in the Wild West, although the Doctor cautions Marsha that it’s not called that yet. The town of Redwater is being terrorized by two zombie desperados with some very potent lightning spouting side arms. They demand the whereabouts of a snake oil salesman that passed through recently. The extraordinary thing about his medicine was that it really worked. It cured many in town of the smallpox. Anxiety and horrific nightmares are, however, common side effects. ...more
Paul
Mar 08, 2016 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Review written: 9th January, 2015

Peacemaker by James Swallow

Why I read it: More Doctor Who.

Rating: 3/5

What I thought: This book doesn’t really get much more above average, but there are still points in its favour. For the most part the first Western town and its characters are pretty well evoked, and it helps that Doctor Who doesn’t do Westerns that much, even if this plays a tad differently in a post-“A Town Called Mercy” world. It somewhat peters out in the back half, but while I wouldn’t reco
Kati
Mar 18, 2016 Kati rated it liked it
This one seemed less childish and more grown-up than the rest of the DW books I've read. But the kiss? Eh.
Sarah Brehm
May 17, 2016 Sarah Brehm rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
There was a lot I liked about this, but the plot kind of fizzled about 3/4 of the way through.
Kristen
Apr 08, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
David Tennant was my favorite Doctor, and this book does a great job bringing him back to life. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and want to read more.
Jason
Jul 16, 2014 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Truly embarrassing accents and performance by the reader.
Doctor Who Book Club: **MAIN DISCUSSION** --Spoilers 2 6 Sep 23, 2012 11:01AM
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: Wetworld
  • Doctor Who: Sick Building
  • Doctor Who: The Many Hands
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: Wooden Heart
  • Doctor Who: The Doctor Trap
  • Doctor Who: The Story of Martha
  • Doctor Who: The Krillitane Storm
  • Doctor Who: The Last Dodo
James Swallow is a British novelist and scriptwriter. The author of New York Times and Sunday Times Bestsellers and a BAFTA nominee, he has written over forty original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes the action thriller Nomad, the Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and
More about James Swallow...

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man