Start by marking “Hatred of Capitalism: A Semiotext(e) Reader” as Want to Read:
Hatred of Capitalism: A Semiotext(e) Reader

Hatred of Capitalism: A Semiotext(e) Reader

Compiled in 2001 to commemorate the passing of an era, Hatred of Capitalism brings together highlights of Semiotext(e)'s most beloved and prescient works. Semiotext(e)'s three-decade history mirrors the history of American thought. Founded by French theorist and critic Sylvere Lotringer as a scholarly journal in 1974, Semiotext(e) quickly took on the mission of melding Fre ...more
Published January 18th 2002 by Semiotext(e) (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hatred of Capitalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hatred of Capitalism

Maddy
I was sitting in an Indigo in a particularly bourgeois area of Toronto. The woman next to me was reading a guide book about The Greek Islands and taking notes. I noticed a man standing behind me, and very close.
"Who wrote that?" he asked.
"It's a reader," I said and turned the book so the back cover was facing both of us. "Want to see?"
"I've got a meeting," he says. "Have you heard of Noam Chomsky?" he asks, and I curtly reply "Yes."
"Good" he says, and claps me on the back. "Keep reading."
He then
heather
Aug 16, 2009 heather rated it really liked it
this book makes me feel stupid. actually, the only time i can ever really understand it is if i've had a cocktail or two. the ideas discussed are interesting, but i can't help but think these writers all take themselves way too serious.
Jonathan Norton
Feb 08, 2013 Jonathan Norton rated it it was ok
"To the memory of an era (1974-2002)", an era where French ideas entered American colleges, one of the conduits being semiotext(e), from which this anthology is drawn. There is not too much French writing actually, no more than the memoirs of life "in these United States". Good points: Michelle Tea & Tisa Bryant remembering difficult adolescence; Assata Shakur on her imprisonment for being a black radical; Guy Hocquengham discussing gay culture in the 70s (this now seems a period piece, give ...more
Hack Sonar
parts are interesting, overall good
Lisa
Mar 12, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
i haven't finished every essay in this book, and it will probably be a long time before i do. may not even attempt the baudrillard stuff. i generally love everything that semiotext(e) puts out and this is no exception. i've been using it a bit as a guide to their catalog, picking out an essay by a writer to see if i want to check out their books. i love anthologies :)
Alex
Jul 03, 2012 Alex rated it it was ok
a collection of essays from the Semiotexte magazine, mostly from the 70s. a lot of it is crazily abstract and therefore basically useless, especially the Baudrillard. but some of these articles are worthwhile and/or fun, notably the one by Assata on her imprisonment and torture, the Foucault piece on homosexuality, and the Jean-Francois Lyotard critique of Marx.
John
May 04, 2008 John rated it really liked it
this is a bold and at times erratic read - the nature of the beast when the beast is collected writings in social criticism, i suppose - but fulfilling and exciting when you hit on the pieces that strike a chord. i preferred the short, episodic fiction selections to the more abrasive conceptual theory.
Robert
Jan 01, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: most
The voices contained within this book have had an immense effect on the conceptual development of my creative growth that I keep my one copy close in the home without looking at very much at all anymore. But this is a book whose grip I know very personally.
Alec
Aug 04, 2008 Alec rated it it was amazing
I thought the editors did a wonderful job in selecting works that supported and contrasted each other in surprising ways. This book really had me thinking, and I frequently pull it out to re-read particular selections.
Marko
Jan 18, 2008 Marko rated it it was amazing
Postmodern French philosophy, first person storytelling, anticapitalist rants, what more could you want from a book? It's great. Makes me yearn for the nineties.
Kent Robinson
Jun 13, 2014 Kent Robinson rated it really liked it
A very good sampling of Semiotext(e)'s most important works. Enjoyed reading many of the essays, some are a little pointless but many are very interesting.
Benjamin Griffin
May 24, 2007 Benjamin Griffin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Specfuckingtacular. I only wish i could find more.

No-Holds-Barred French Social theory, American Pop culture and Personal journalism.
Dana
Jul 14, 2016 Dana rated it it was amazing
As Chris Kraus says in the intro, the title is a joke. The joke is that the least we could do toward Capitalism is hate it.
Gregory Sotir
Mar 18, 2012 Gregory Sotir rated it really liked it
Fine collection of essays compiled by the folks at Semiotext(e), one of the best publishing houses out there.
MM
Aug 31, 2012 MM rated it really liked it
Love the old-fashioned polemical title, and from poetry to French theory, I love this collection!
Remi Watts
Jan 25, 2012 Remi Watts rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of a variety of engaging literature of various forms.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read
Hatred of Capitalism: A Semiotext(e) Reader by Chris Kraus (2001)
Dan
Mar 19, 2009 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: cultural-study
An anthology of essays that have appeared in Semiotext(e).
Molly
Jul 08, 2009 Molly is currently reading it
Re-reading the genius 10yr anniversary compilation of dream team Lotringer and Kraus. Bonus: people want to have a conversation when they see the title.
Hope Wabuke
Sep 04, 2007 Hope Wabuke rated it really liked it
semiotext!
Eva Silverman
Eva Silverman marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Joan Crate
Joan Crate rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Vicente Valjalo
Vicente Valjalo marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Laura A. Warman
Laura A. Warman rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
Arsam Saleem
Arsam Saleem marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Hunter Tidwell
Hunter Tidwell marked it as to-read
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
  • Pure War (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • Everybody Talks About the Weather . . . We Don't: The Writings of Ulrike Meinhof
  • Desert Islands: And Other Texts, 1953--1974
  • Foucault Live: Interviews, 1961-84
  • In the Shadow of the Silent Majorities
  • A User's Guide to Capitalism and Schizophrenia: Deviations from Deleuze and Guattari
  • The Uprising: On Poetry and Finance
  • Archive Fever: A Freudian Impression
  • The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the Brink
  • Organs Without Bodies: Deleuze and Consequences
  • Sade My Neighbor
  • Testimony: Crises of Witnessing in Literature, Psychoanalysis and History
  • The Violence of Financial Capitalism (Intervention #2)
  • Commonwealth
  • After Finitude: An Essay on the Necessity of Contingency
  • The Kristeva Reader
  • Visions of Excess
  • The Revolution of Everyday Life
Chris Kraus is a writer, filmmaker, and professor of film at European Graduate School in Saas-Fee, Switzerland.[1] Her books include I Love Dick, Aliens & Anorexia, and Torpor. Video Green, Kraus' first non-fiction book examines the explosion of late 1990s art by high-profile graduate programs that catapulted Los Angeles into the center of the international art world. Her films include Gravity ...more
More about Chris Kraus...