Start by marking “On the Family: Familiaris Consortio” as Want to Read:
On the Family: Familiaris Consortio

On the Family: Familiaris Consortio

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Pope John Paul II addresses the role of the family in society as a believing and evangelizing community in dialogue with God.
Published February 1st 1982 by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) (first published December 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about On the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Family

Carlos Zambrano
Feb 02, 2013 Carlos Zambrano rated it liked it
Es un buen libro es un proco pesado por el heho de ser enciclica y ser doctrinal no esta destinada a ser una lectura ligera ni entregenida pero si marca claramente los lineamientos de una familia Cristiana y de la vocacion al matrimonio. Hay muchas aproximaciones que incluso dentro de la iglesia se podrian llamar innovadores como el papel de la mujer en pa sociedad y el trabajo ademas la paternidad responsable desde la perspectiva catolica. Estos dos temas se aproxima desde una perspectiva de re ...more
Dru
This book was given to all young couples going through pre-Cana with us in the 1990's. If it was supposed to be inspirational or even just a guidebook it fails on almost all accounts. I only now read it, some 18 years after my wedding day. I never even opened it before I got married, and I have to say I'm glad I didn't.

This thing reads like a religious textbook, with run-on sentences filled with a mix of extremely specialized religious terminology and/or mysticism. Examples:

"To dominate instinct
Barbara
Dec 29, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ironically, I finished this on a day that Marie Claire posted an article about how couples' views of monogamy are "evolving"; in that light, while the Church is often criticized for not being "with the times," this exhortation from 1980 sounded more relevant than ever.
I particularly found the section on women and the family interesting -- John Paul II clearly defends the idea that women ought to have a place in meaningful work outside the home, but also says that it is a huge mistake not to val
Christopher McCaffery
#theologyofthebody
Some very good reflections here. I wonder what the produce of our newest Synod on the Family will be, as this letter is now 33 years old.
Terry
Sep 03, 2007 Terry rated it it was amazing
This was the first "serious" church document I read, and it opened up for me the teachings on the sanctity of the family, the role of the family in the work of salvation, and the figure of the church as Christ's bride. The language is engaging and sensitive, yet unwavering. I approached it with reservations, and put it down having gained in conversion.
Jessica Westberg
Aug 09, 2007 Jessica Westberg rated it it was amazing
The full title of this is "On the Role of the Christian Family in the Modern World", but this encyclical is full anyone discerning their vocation, and those who have already discerned their vocation. In short, it's for everyone! A beautiful document on the sanctity of marriage and how it is vital to the world!
Zeke Taylor
May 06, 2015 Zeke Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful exploration of the family and the difficulties they face in the modern world.
Ryan
Mar 07, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timeless wisdom from JP the Great. Even more relevant today than it was in 1981.
Maruja
Maruja rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Diana Marini
Diana Marini marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Argene Clasara
Argene Clasara is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Rich
Rich is currently reading it
Kimberly Walsh
Kimberly Walsh is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
Rico McCahon
Rico McCahon rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Philip Lenzen
Philip Lenzen marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Wojciech Dziwulski
Wojciech Dziwulski marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Léas
Léas marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Sindy Castellanos
Sindy Castellanos rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Stephen
Stephen is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2016
Claire Rebecca
Claire Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Saved in Hope: Spe Salvi
  • Rerum Novarum: On The Condition Of Working Classes
  • Humanae Vitae: Of Human Life
  • The Meaning of Tradition
  • Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church
  • Vatican Council II: Constitutions, Decrees, Declarations (The Basic Sixteen Documents)
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • The New Jerome Biblical Commentary
  • The Enchiridion on Faith Hope and Love (Augustine Series 1)
  • The Ignatius Bible: Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition
  • Catholic Matters: Confusion, Controversy, and the Splendor of Truth
  • Evangelical Catholicism: Deep Reform in the 21st-Century Church
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • The Little Oratory: A Beginner's Guide to Praying in the Home
Saint Pope John Paul II (Latin: Ioannes Paulus II), born Karol Józef Wojtyła was elected Pope at the Conclave of 16 October 1978, and he took the name of John Paul II. On 22 October, the Lord's Day, he solemnly inaugurated his Petrine ministry as the 263rd successor to the Apostle. His pontificate, one of the longest in the history of the Church, lasted nearly 27 years.

Driven by his pastoral solic
More about Pope John Paul II...

“Knowledge must then lead to education in self-control.” 1 likes
“This shows that history is not simply a fixed progression towards what is better, but rather an
event of freedom, and even a struggle between freedoms that are in mutual conflict, that is,
according to the well-known expression of St. Augustine, a conflict between two loves: the love of
God to the point of disregarding self, and the love of self to the point of disregarding God.”
0 likes