Start by marking “Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church” as Want to Read:
Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church

Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Creating an environment that both embraces our newcomers and excites them enough to return does not happen by chance. We must be prepared to be effective stewards of those God brings us. Why should the Church not be the epitome of service at its best, as modeled by the greatest server of all time? Built on The Journey Church of the City's Assimilation Seminar, Fusion embod ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Regal

To ask other readers questions about Fusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fusion

Rev Ricky
Extremely practical and very important for Pastors. I highly recommend it, especially for those of us who believed all we would need to do to build a church was preach.
Matthew
A very practical guide to being purposeful and intentional in bringing first time visitors back to be second time guests and then into regular attenders and members of the church. Highly recommend this book to any Church leaders looking to make a bigger impact on the lives of their guests and regular attenders. This book will be very helpful for our church plant.
Ken Mann
Excellent book that gives pointers on helping guests move from first-timers to return guest to regulars to engaged members if your church. LOTS of practical advice and ideas that can be modified to fit the culture of your particular church.
I found it to be a very helpful book!
Mark
As usual, Nelson Searcy does a great job of outlining processes, practices & procedures for ministry - this time, it's about their assimilation system at The Journey Church and how you can take their principles and apply it in your own church. (Yes, I'm aware that calling something an assimilation system makes it sound a bit like the Borg are running your church, but that's the terminology and it existed prior to Six of Nine and the giant cubes.)

Nelson always sounds like a bit of an Amway sa
Michael Vincent
An excellent practical volume to help a church how to assimilate new people into their church community. Many helpful insights.
Calvary Callender
Great to hear another church's take on assimilation. Much to learn from what they do.
DJ Cronrath
Great book on church assimilation and helping to make your visitors' experience better
A.J.
Great info.
David Bocock
This book made a profound impact on me and my ministry. It was also the basis for my DMin project and thesis. In it, I learned how to assimilate newcomers into new members and how to go about making that an intentional process. Every church can learn something in this vital book, especially progressive churches who are looking for relevancy and how to integrate their visitors rather than simply hoping they stay around long enough to join.

I highly recommend this book.
Jim
If you are interested in church growth, are working as a pastor, or would like to invite someone to help your church grow, then you should definitley read Searcy's series of books.

He hasn't invented all of the various ideas, you can find them elsewhere, but no one has taken all the ideas and placed them in such an orderly fashion with step one, two three so clearly laid out.
Mark Soone
I am not sure how this author and book have slipped under my radar??? I believed that already knew of most relevant christian authors and thinkers of our day??? Oh well learn something new everyday.

This is by far the best book that I have ever read, in regards to assimilation. This should be desired if not required reading for all pastors, and most other church leaders as well.
Dale Critchley
While many of the ideas contained herein require a rather large church and wouldn't work for a small group of volunteers, there's enough practical knowledge here to glean something useful for nearly everyone. In my case, since we're in the process of designing such a system, it gave me a few ideas and gave me affirmation on other ideas I already had. A worthwhile read.
Jim Armpriester
This book had really basic ideas that should come pretty intuitively. I appreciate his heart and it was good fuel to keep doing what were already doing. There were a few improvements that I could grab hold for our current system. If you don't currently have any assimilation systems this book works as a good starting point.
Walt Walkowski
I don't know that anything new is said in this book. I think it is put together fairly well, though, and it is straightforward. I also think that there are some assumptions made in regard to this "system" that would not necessarily be true of all churches. All-in-all, it's worth the read.
Josh Miller
Outstanding, simple, concise book with practical simple steps to institute a dynamic way to treat 1st time guests with the end goal of making them devoted followers of Jesus Christ. I hope to institute some of these principles in the ministry in the near future.
James
There is some practical advice here about moving people from visitor to participant and full member. But this is one of those highly programmatic techniques for church growth. I don't need a silver bullet for ministry, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Daryl Watts
An excellent summary of one church's process for moving first time guest through the process of regular attendance and membership. Based on Searcy's own church, The Journey, in Manhattan, the assimilation process can be a great starting point for other churches.
Jason
There are some useful ideas in this book. Some of the procedural and organizational recommendations are solid. But, a large portion of this book read like an advertisement for Searcy's other books, DVD's and instructional tools. It was definitely a turnoff.
Tony
Great, practical book on creating an assimilation process for your church. I've incorporated a handful of suggestions from here. It's not an exact blueprint for everyone but it's definitely a starting point to use and tweak for your own community.
Thomas Kinsfather
The subtitle nails it. Fusion is about the first, second, and third time visitor. How to prepare for them, welcome them, and follow up with them. A wealth of helpful church ideas packed in a cheesy and uninteresting story of a first time visitor.
Lori
Excellent step-by-step analysis of how to turn church newcomers into regular attenders, and then into assimilated members. It is Christian-focused, but adaptable. I want to recommend that everyone on my Membership Committee read this book!
Chris
An interesting idea that probably works well in his context. Not sure how well it would work in other contexts. It's the sort of thing that you have to go "all in" with, you can't really pick and choose the stuff you like.
Katy Dunigan
This book offers a lot of good, practical advice on how to make the first time worship experience a positive one...and how to help individuals visiting your church feel more comfortable and excited to be there.

Apino
A must read for ALL Pastors and church leaders. Will help you realize church growth is not about numbers but about how many people are being touched by the Kingdom of God.
Steve Wynkoop
Excellent book for pastors to read concerning assimilation. A great how to model to follow as well as a compelling discussion for the need of blessing our guests.
Josh Navey
Bill
This book is to the point and dead on with some very practical tips for rethinking how you welcome or invite others into your Christian fellowship.
Bron Yocum
It's not rocket science, but the book does gather together in a systematic way ideas about welcoming and integrating people into the church.
Jason
A must-read book for any church leader. This was so practical and we are already implementing so much.
Matt Markarian
Great book with a ton of practical ideas to supercharge your church's assimilation process.
  • Sticky Church
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap
  • Transformational Church
  • Seven Practices of Effective Ministry (North Point Resources)
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • Growing True Disciples: New Strategies for Producing Genuine Followers of Christ
  • Missional Renaissance: Changing the Scorecard for the Church
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
  • Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Replant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
Launch: Starting a New Church from Scratch Activate: An Entirely New Approach to Small Groups Ignite: How to Spark Immediate Growth in Your Church The Generosity Ladder: Your Next Step to Financial Peace Connect: How to Double Your Number of Volunteers

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. GALATIANS 6:9, NIV” 0 likes
“How you respond when you’ve been given a gift—and what you do with the gift itself—proves just how much you really appreciate it.” 0 likes