Start by marking “Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church” as Want to Read:
Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church

Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church

Creating an environment that both embraces our newcomers and excites them enough to return does not happen by chance. We must be prepared to be effective stewards of those God brings us. Why should the Church not be the epitome of service at its best, as modeled by the greatest server of all time? Built on The Journey Church of the City's Assimilation Seminar, Fusion embod ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Regal

To ask other readers questions about Fusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fusion

Rev Ricky
Sep 20, 2014 Rev Ricky rated it really liked it
Extremely practical and very important for Pastors. I highly recommend it, especially for those of us who believed all we would need to do to build a church was preach.
Mike Collins
Dec 19, 2016 Mike Collins rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by people in the ministry who have implemented these principles and seen them work. Searcy painfully exposes how most churches lack an effective system (if they have any at all) to promote reoccurring attendance in their church. To help us, the author presents the philosophy behind his Assimilation System and gives every practical detail on how to carry it out. Basically, the goal is to turn a first time guest into a second time guest. Then, he aims to provide eve ...more
Kevin Eccles
Oct 12, 2015 Kevin Eccles rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this book is more of the same for leaders of a church. With many steps, specific examples, and Searcy's trademark "lets follow an imaginary test case through the process" writing, the book is inflated and far longer than it needs to be. It could have been a pamphlet.

1) Connect to people
2) Make them feel welcome
3) Give them opportunities to get involved

Done. The reason it got two stars and not one is because it does have decent examples of how that can be done, even if it takes 20
Evelyn
Mar 25, 2016 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
If you have a new church or a church looking to revamp their assimilation process, then I highly recommend this book to help you get started or get in the right direction of growing your church in quantity and most especially in quality!!! I also recommend this book to those who have a desire of serving God but just don't know where to start - this book will encourage you to break out of your shell and help you to realize that God wants to use you even if it means being that person who greets a ...more
Mark
Sep 24, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
As usual, Nelson Searcy does a great job of outlining processes, practices & procedures for ministry - this time, it's about their assimilation system at The Journey Church and how you can take their principles and apply it in your own church. (Yes, I'm aware that calling something an assimilation system makes it sound a bit like the Borg are running your church, but that's the terminology and it existed prior to Six of Nine and the giant cubes.)

Nelson always sounds like a bit of an Amway sa
David Bocock
This book made a profound impact on me and my ministry. It was also the basis for my DMin project and thesis. In it, I learned how to assimilate newcomers into new members and how to go about making that an intentional process. Every church can learn something in this vital book, especially progressive churches who are looking for relevancy and how to integrate their visitors rather than simply hoping they stay around long enough to join.

I highly recommend this book.
Jim
Nov 02, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
If you are interested in church growth, are working as a pastor, or would like to invite someone to help your church grow, then you should definitley read Searcy's series of books.

He hasn't invented all of the various ideas, you can find them elsewhere, but no one has taken all the ideas and placed them in such an orderly fashion with step one, two three so clearly laid out.
Mark Soone
Mar 12, 2012 Mark Soone rated it really liked it
I am not sure how this author and book have slipped under my radar??? I believed that already knew of most relevant christian authors and thinkers of our day??? Oh well learn something new everyday.

This is by far the best book that I have ever read, in regards to assimilation. This should be desired if not required reading for all pastors, and most other church leaders as well.
Matthew
Aug 16, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
A very practical guide to being purposeful and intentional in bringing first time visitors back to be second time guests and then into regular attenders and members of the church. Highly recommend this book to any Church leaders looking to make a bigger impact on the lives of their guests and regular attenders. This book will be very helpful for our church plant.
Jim Armpriester
Oct 16, 2014 Jim Armpriester rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, leadership
This book had really basic ideas that should come pretty intuitively. I appreciate his heart and it was good fuel to keep doing what were already doing. There were a few improvements that I could grab hold for our current system. If you don't currently have any assimilation systems this book works as a good starting point.
Dale Critchley
Oct 17, 2013 Dale Critchley rated it really liked it
While many of the ideas contained herein require a rather large church and wouldn't work for a small group of volunteers, there's enough practical knowledge here to glean something useful for nearly everyone. In my case, since we're in the process of designing such a system, it gave me a few ideas and gave me affirmation on other ideas I already had. A worthwhile read.
James
Jun 05, 2012 James rated it did not like it
There is some practical advice here about moving people from visitor to participant and full member. But this is one of those highly programmatic techniques for church growth. I don't need a silver bullet for ministry, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Lori
Aug 07, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
Excellent step-by-step analysis of how to turn church newcomers into regular attenders, and then into assimilated members. It is Christian-focused, but adaptable. I want to recommend that everyone on my Membership Committee read this book!
Daryl Watts
Aug 10, 2011 Daryl Watts rated it really liked it
An excellent summary of one church's process for moving first time guest through the process of regular attendance and membership. Based on Searcy's own church, The Journey, in Manhattan, the assimilation process can be a great starting point for other churches.
Walt Walkowski
Jul 26, 2016 Walt Walkowski rated it liked it
I don't know that anything new is said in this book. I think it is put together fairly well, though, and it is straightforward. I also think that there are some assumptions made in regard to this "system" that would not necessarily be true of all churches. All-in-all, it's worth the read.
Josh Miller
Sep 23, 2013 Josh Miller rated it it was amazing
Outstanding, simple, concise book with practical simple steps to institute a dynamic way to treat 1st time guests with the end goal of making them devoted followers of Jesus Christ. I hope to institute some of these principles in the ministry in the near future.
Thomas Kinsfather
May 30, 2012 Thomas Kinsfather rated it liked it
The subtitle nails it. Fusion is about the first, second, and third time visitor. How to prepare for them, welcome them, and follow up with them. A wealth of helpful church ideas packed in a cheesy and uninteresting story of a first time visitor.
Katy Dunigan
Mar 11, 2009 Katy Dunigan rated it really liked it
This book offers a lot of good, practical advice on how to make the first time worship experience a positive one...and how to help individuals visiting your church feel more comfortable and excited to be there.

Tony
Aug 12, 2013 Tony rated it really liked it
Great, practical book on creating an assimilation process for your church. I've incorporated a handful of suggestions from here. It's not an exact blueprint for everyone but it's definitely a starting point to use and tweak for your own community.
Ken Mann
Jun 05, 2014 Ken Mann rated it really liked it
Excellent book that gives pointers on helping guests move from first-timers to return guest to regulars to engaged members if your church. LOTS of practical advice and ideas that can be modified to fit the culture of your particular church.
I found it to be a very helpful book!
Adam Tomlinson
Oct 27, 2015 Adam Tomlinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: church
Searcy very clearly and easily guides church leaders how to increase the amount of men and women they can capture who come through the door for the first time. I find this book thought-provoking and encouraging at the same time, and plan to adjust our assimilation system accordingly.
Chris
Aug 09, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting idea that probably works well in his context. Not sure how well it would work in other contexts. It's the sort of thing that you have to go "all in" with, you can't really pick and choose the stuff you like.
Jason
Jun 07, 2012 Jason rated it it was ok
There are some useful ideas in this book. Some of the procedural and organizational recommendations are solid. But, a large portion of this book read like an advertisement for Searcy's other books, DVD's and instructional tools. It was definitely a turnoff.
Jason
Jan 10, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
A must-read book for any church leader. This was so practical and we are already implementing so much.
Bill
Oct 06, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: pastoral-reads
This book is to the point and dead on with some very practical tips for rethinking how you welcome or invite others into your Christian fellowship.
Steve Wynkoop
Apr 01, 2011 Steve Wynkoop rated it really liked it
Excellent book for pastors to read concerning assimilation. A great how to model to follow as well as a compelling discussion for the need of blessing our guests.
Michael Vincent
An excellent practical volume to help a church how to assimilate new people into their church community. Many helpful insights.
Apino
Oct 09, 2009 Apino rated it it was amazing
A must read for ALL Pastors and church leaders. Will help you realize church growth is not about numbers but about how many people are being touched by the Kingdom of God.
Josh Navey
Jun 17, 2013 Josh Navey rated it liked it
Jt
Feb 20, 2016 Jt added it
Shelves: church-growth
What a great book to make you think of the importance of following up on new visitors to your church. "First timers are God's gift to you!" Great stuff.
  • Sticky Church
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Transformational Church
  • Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap
  • Creating Community: Five Keys to Building a Small Group Culture
  • Missional Renaissance: Changing the Scorecard for the Church
  • Being Leaders: The Nature of Authentic Christian Leadership
  • Growing True Disciples: New Strategies for Producing Genuine Followers of Christ
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • On Church Leadership
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. GALATIANS 6:9, NIV” 0 likes
“According to Paul Ekman, Professor Emeritus of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California Medical School in San Francisco, “We can pick up a smile from 30 meters away.” 0 likes