Start by marking “Camino Real” as Want to Read:
Camino Real

Camino Real

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this phantasmagorical play, the Camino Real is a dead end, a police state in a vaguely Latin American country, and an inescapable condition. Characters from history and literature—Don Quixote, Casanova, Camille, Lord Byron—inhabit a place where corruption and indifference have immobilized and nearly destroyed the human spirit. Then, into this netherworld, the archetypal ...more
Published January 17th 1970 by New Directions (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Camino Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camino Real

David
I did not read this edition, but will look for it so I can read the new intro by John Guare, and benefit from another perspective. I picked up a used copy that was published in Britain in 1958 (the year I was born, which is what made me decide to buy it), and was surprised to find I was not prepared for the weirdness. Which is funny, because I usually love weirdness, the farther out the better. Mind you, I'm not sorry I read this, quite the opposite. No doubt, like a lot of works that are distur ...more
Duffy Pratt
Desolation Row is one of my favorite songs by Dylan. It's filled with cool allusions to Casanova, Cinderella, Romeo, T.S. Eliot, etc... Having read this, it makes me wonder whether Dylan was aware of this play, or if they just tapped into the same vibe. The difference is that the piled on allusions are quaint in a five minute song, and there's always the music (including the brilliant guitar obligato on the original track, or the wonderful leads by Jerry Garcia on the Grateful Dead's many covers ...more
Davide Nole
Sul retro viene detto che questo dramma è come un piccolo occhio di bue, difficile da penetrare, ma una volta che vi si entra si vede tutto in maniera più chiara.
Non so se mi sono anche solo avvicinato alla luce, ma questo copione deve ancora parlarmi, deve farlo con molta più forza di quanto non abbia fatto fin'ora, perché ne ho sentito solo una bozza.
I personaggi sono criptiche manipolazioni dell'epoca in cui sono ambientate le rispettive storie, macchie che servono solo a mostrare i sentiment
Roland
I'm all for a surreal, metaphoric meditation on death, but this play is not my cup of tea. None of the characters interested me, and aside from Kilroy's night with Esmeralda, I wasn't all that engaged with it. I feel like I need to give it a second change, but my first impression was that this was a failed experiment.
David Morris Parson
If Streetcar is a sublime work of art, then Williams's Camino Real is a profound work of art. Not nearly as accessible as most of his plays, it is still the only one that is as pertinent today as it was when it was performed in the '50s. This is a must read for artists.
Jim Leckband
Sometimes a book needs a specific reader. A subset of those books need a specific reader who encounters the book at the right time in their life to appreciate it. From reading reviews on this site I have come to the conclusion that 1 star reviews are mostly about the reader encountering a book that is not ever going to work for them, or if it could - this wasn't the right time.

That being said, Camino Real just didn't do much for me. I am sure there is allegory, symbolism, existentialism, etc. go
Jessica
Although it was unsuccessful commercially, this is one of Tennessee Williams's most intriguing plays, set in a limbo where famous characters and familiar Williams archtypes live out their days, trying to find love and avoid ruin. Originally conceived as a one-act, Williams continually revisited the play and expanded it into a full-length drama that had a short run on Broadway in 1953, starring Eli Wallach and directed by Elia Kazan. The published version reflected yet another rewrite that restor ...more
Megan
Such a great play. I am kind of sad I haven't seen it performed before, but Williams is hard to produce to some degree. I really enjoyed this one though.
Shayda Salaravand
یه تنسی ویلیامزِ کاملا متفاوت از اتوبوسی به نام هوس و گربه روی شیروانیِ داغ...
Cyndie
Agree with the playwright's forward that despite the play's dream-like nature if you meet it halfway you're going to get something out of it. Has something to say about what we really want and how far we are willing to go to get it, how willing to leave things behind, let go of the past, step out into the unknown.Love Tennessee Williams and would especially like to see a production of this r at least will need to read it again a couple times to let the flavors soak into my mind and heart a littl ...more
Anne
I'm in rehearsals for this play right now and while it's totally fascinating to watch Tennessee Williams try to out-Brecht Brecht, I am still not sold. The poetry is not as rich as Glass Menagerie or Streetcar and it doesn't succeed at dealing with new forms as much as Outcry.

I still always feel lucky to say his words out loud, and he pretty always gets lonely dead-on.
Julia Boechat Machado
O estilo dessa peça é completamente diferente do utilizado pelo autor em clássicos como Um Bonde Chamado Desejo ou De Repente no Último Verão. Peça experimental em que Dom Quixote, Lord Byron, a Dama das Camélias, Casanoa e outros moram em uma cidade estranha e fantasmagórica. Surpreendente.
Matt
A perfect example of the the dream like state Williams can draw so brilliantly from. A timeless tale of horror that I hope I can see performed one day.
Rick Jones
I have enjoyed getting to know Tennessee Williams this summer...
Lindsay
re-read on a rainy day. nice. KILROY!!!!!
Jonathan
Feb 14, 2013 Jonathan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My Tennessee Williams Course instructor
Early David Lynch... in theater!
zeinab
رائعه مثيره جميله مؤثره
Curtis Cataldo
Curtis Cataldo marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Giselle M. Chatelain
Giselle M. Chatelain marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Kumari
Kumari is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2015
Treasa
Treasa marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Pamela J
Pamela J marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
  • Waiting for Lefty and Other Plays
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
  • Machinal
  • The Sandbox & The Death of Bessie Smith
  • The Skin of Our Teeth
  • Danny and the Deep Blue Sea: An Apache Dance
  • Hurlyburly
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
  • The Caretaker & The Dumb Waiter
  • The America Play and Other Works
  • Fool for Love - Acting Edition
  • Christopher Durang Explains it All for You
  • Six Plays: The Father / Miss Julie / The Stronger / Easter / A Dream Play / The Ghost Sonata
  • Short Eyes: A Play
Thomas Lanier Williams III, better known by the nickname Tennessee Williams, was a major American playwright of the twentieth century who received many of the top theatrical awards for his work. He moved to New Orleans in 1939 and changed his name to "Tennessee," the state of his father's birth. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for A Streetcar Named Desire in 1948 and for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ...more
More about Tennessee Williams...
A Streetcar Named Desire The Glass Menagerie Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Suddenly Last Summer The Night of the Iguana (Acting Edition)

“When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone.” 327 likes
“Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else.” 248 likes