Start by marking “Camino Real” as Want to Read:
Camino Real

Camino Real

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  506 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In this phantasmagorical play, the Camino Real is a dead end, a police state in a vaguely Latin American country, and an inescapable condition. Characters from history and literature—Don Quixote, Casanova, Camille, Lord Byron—inhabit a place where corruption and indifference have immobilized and nearly destroyed the human spirit. Then, into this netherworld, the archetypal ...more
Published January 17th 1970 by New Directions (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Camino Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camino Real

David
Mar 26, 2015 David rated it really liked it
I did not read this edition, but will look for it so I can read the new intro by John Guare, and benefit from another perspective. I picked up a used copy that was published in Britain in 1958 (the year I was born, which is what made me decide to buy it), and was surprised to find I was not prepared for the weirdness. Which is funny, because I usually love weirdness, the farther out the better. Mind you, I'm not sorry I read this, quite the opposite. No doubt, like a lot of works that are distur ...more
Duffy Pratt
Oct 25, 2011 Duffy Pratt rated it it was ok
Shelves: play
Desolation Row is one of my favorite songs by Dylan. It's filled with cool allusions to Casanova, Cinderella, Romeo, T.S. Eliot, etc... Having read this, it makes me wonder whether Dylan was aware of this play, or if they just tapped into the same vibe. The difference is that the piled on allusions are quaint in a five minute song, and there's always the music (including the brilliant guitar obligato on the original track, or the wonderful leads by Jerry Garcia on the Grateful Dead's many covers ...more
Davide Nole
Jan 02, 2015 Davide Nole rated it really liked it
Sul retro viene detto che questo dramma è come un piccolo occhio di bue, difficile da penetrare, ma una volta che vi si entra si vede tutto in maniera più chiara.
Non so se mi sono anche solo avvicinato alla luce, ma questo copione deve ancora parlarmi, deve farlo con molta più forza di quanto non abbia fatto fin'ora, perché ne ho sentito solo una bozza.
I personaggi sono criptiche manipolazioni dell'epoca in cui sono ambientate le rispettive storie, macchie che servono solo a mostrare i sentiment
Jack Hrkach
Aug 14, 2015 Jack Hrkach rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
I was fascinated by this play when I first read it, decades ago - it was one of the first plays that knocked this golden boy off his pedestal by critics who didn't want him experimenting. But he kept doing it. I don't know that it's often (ever?) performed these days, but if you're looking for a play similar to Streetcar or Cat, you won't find it here - to me, however, a worthwhile read.
Roland
Oct 19, 2014 Roland rated it it was ok
I'm all for a surreal, metaphoric meditation on death, but this play is not my cup of tea. None of the characters interested me, and aside from Kilroy's night with Esmeralda, I wasn't all that engaged with it. I feel like I need to give it a second change, but my first impression was that this was a failed experiment.
David Parson
Oct 17, 2014 David Parson rated it it was amazing
If Streetcar is a sublime work of art, then Williams's Camino Real is a profound work of art. Not nearly as accessible as most of his plays, it is still the only one that is as pertinent today as it was when it was performed in the '50s. This is a must read for artists.
Jim Leckband
Apr 05, 2011 Jim Leckband rated it did not like it
Sometimes a book needs a specific reader. A subset of those books need a specific reader who encounters the book at the right time in their life to appreciate it. From reading reviews on this site I have come to the conclusion that 1 star reviews are mostly about the reader encountering a book that is not ever going to work for them, or if it could - this wasn't the right time.

That being said, Camino Real just didn't do much for me. I am sure there is allegory, symbolism, existentialism, etc. go
Jessica
Aug 14, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
Although it was unsuccessful commercially, this is one of Tennessee Williams's most intriguing plays, set in a limbo where famous characters and familiar Williams archtypes live out their days, trying to find love and avoid ruin. Originally conceived as a one-act, Williams continually revisited the play and expanded it into a full-length drama that had a short run on Broadway in 1953, starring Eli Wallach and directed by Elia Kazan. The published version reflected yet another rewrite that restor ...more
Brandon
Jan 20, 2016 Brandon rated it really liked it
Well, that was wild! I think I liked it. This may be a play that you have to see performed to truly appreciate.
Megan
May 03, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great play. I am kind of sad I haven't seen it performed before, but Williams is hard to produce to some degree. I really enjoyed this one though.
Shayda Salarvand
یه تنسی ویلیامزِ کاملا متفاوت از اتوبوسی به نام هوس و گربه روی شیروانیِ داغ...
Cyndie
Jun 20, 2015 Cyndie rated it it was amazing
Agree with the playwright's forward that despite the play's dream-like nature if you meet it halfway you're going to get something out of it. Has something to say about what we really want and how far we are willing to go to get it, how willing to leave things behind, let go of the past, step out into the unknown.Love Tennessee Williams and would especially like to see a production of this r at least will need to read it again a couple times to let the flavors soak into my mind and heart a littl ...more
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it liked it
False
Anne
Jan 25, 2008 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: plays-i-done-did
I'm in rehearsals for this play right now and while it's totally fascinating to watch Tennessee Williams try to out-Brecht Brecht, I am still not sold. The poetry is not as rich as Glass Menagerie or Streetcar and it doesn't succeed at dealing with new forms as much as Outcry.

I still always feel lucky to say his words out loud, and he pretty always gets lonely dead-on.
Matt
Oct 10, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: play-hunt
A perfect example of the the dream like state Williams can draw so brilliantly from. A timeless tale of horror that I hope I can see performed one day.
Rick Jones
Sep 06, 2011 Rick Jones rated it liked it
I have enjoyed getting to know Tennessee Williams this summer...
Lindsay
Aug 13, 2007 Lindsay rated it liked it
re-read on a rainy day. nice. KILROY!!!!!
Jonathan
Feb 14, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: My Tennessee Williams Course instructor
Early David Lynch... in theater!
zeinab
Mimi
Apr 07, 2009 Mimi rated it it was ok
weird.
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Corso
Corso marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Melissa Elfont
Melissa Elfont marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Ava Mirzadegan
Ava Mirzadegan marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Vanessa Pillat
Vanessa Pillat rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Angel - A
Angel - A marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Wynn
Wynn rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Yoni Weiss
Yoni Weiss marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
  • Waiting for Lefty and Other Plays
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
  • Fefu and Her Friends
  • Machinal
  • The Baltimore Waltz and Other Plays
  • Three Plays: Anna Christie / The Emperor Jones / The Hairy Ape
  • Bug
  • Six Plays: The Father / Miss Julie / The Stronger / Easter / A Dream Play / The Ghost Sonata
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
  • Danny and the Deep Blue Sea: An Apache Dance
  • The America Play and Other Works
  • Rhinoceros and Other Plays
  • The Complete Plays
  • Bus Stop
Thomas Lanier Williams III, better known by the nickname Tennessee Williams, was a major American playwright of the twentieth century who received many of the top theatrical awards for his work. He moved to New Orleans in 1939 and changed his name to "Tennessee," the state of his father's birth. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for A Streetcar Named Desire in 1948 and for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ...more
More about Tennessee Williams...

“When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone.” 367 likes
“Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else.” 270 likes