Start by marking “The Snow Goose” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,841 ratings  ·  235 reviews
A modern classic, "The Snow Goose" is set in the years running up to the remarkable rescue of the British army stranded on the beaches of Dunkirk during World War II. On the desolate marshes along the English coast, a young girl, Frith, comes to seekhelp from Philip Rhayader, a reclusive painter who lives in an abandoned lighthouse. She carries in her arms a wounded snow g ...more
Published September 11th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1941)

Sam Quixote
A hunchback artist called Rhayader moves to a lighthouse to paint the coast and the birds. He lives a lonely existence because of his appearance. The nearby village begins circulating rumours that the hunchback is magical and an ignorant girl called Frith takes a damaged snow goose to him to heal which he does with basic medicine (splints, bandages, etc.). The two bond over the snow goose which returns each year to visit until eventually it settles down to live with Rhayader all year round. Then ...more
From BBC Radio 4 - Classical Serial - Neglected Classics:

A wounded bird brings together a disfigured artist and a young girl
and helps in a courageous act of bravery in World War II.

Philip Rhayader ..... Steven Mackintosh

Composer ..... Roger Goula
Director ..... Sally Avens

Steven Mackintosh stars in Paul Galli
Kay
Lyrical and touching tale set in WWII, with the climax taking place during Dunkirk. While there's a danger here of crossing over into sentimentality, for me this lovely tale transformed what could have been pat sentiments into something very heartfelt and noble. It's the kind of tale children will remember and adults will cherish. Really a tribute to the human spirit and the bonds that hold us together.

The fact that this was published in April 1941, at a time of massive German air raids on Lond
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
A man so repulsive that he had to seek solitude, yet so beautiful that a bird from a faraway place and a young girl found themselves inexplicably drawn to him.

I would have loved to quote here some memorable Little Prince-like passages but a prohibition runs in the opposite page of the inside title. So this is the one I shall quote:

"Copyright 1940 by The Curtis Publishing Company. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission in writing from the publis
Meredith
I recited a chapter of this in 8th grade drama class- the part I read was a monologue belonging to a private in the British infantry, written phonetically in a thick cockney accent. I bombed the reading, but I adore this book. It is a beautiful story and there is no shame in crying a bit toward the end.

Along with Old Yeller, Call of the Wild, White Fang, Charlotte's Web, the Snow Goose, Gentle Ben, and Thomasina, all part of my adolescent animal-based literary fantasy world.
Melee
I read this book for school and had to write a few paragraphs on it (or something like that). Those aforementioned paragraphs have been sitting on my computer for the past two years and if my memory serves me correctly no one ever actually read them. (I was going to give them to my teacher {AKA mother} but for some reason never got around to it.) I thought I'd post them on here so they didn't go to waste completely. ;)

The message of The Snow Goose is clearly, never fall in love with brave cripp
Rachel Heffington
I have embarked on the helter-skelter habit of choosing books at random and reading them. I bought a 1960's copy of The Snow Goose at a library sale because it looked interesting and I had never heard of it...and I'm a sucker for new literary fare.
I had no expectations of what it might be, so the fact that this slender little volume contained a heart-warming if slightly predictable story made it precious to me. Yes, The Snow Goose crosses the line of sense vs. sentimentality, but no more than Ol
Bayandur
"The Snow Goose" by Paul Gallico is one of my favorites. It is about life, its hardnesses and wonders, pain and joy coming by its natural route, and war - merciless and unnatural, cruel and indifferent as it is.
This book is really to hard to write about. Very personal to me - the emotional plane is really deep and the characters are well-developed.
The book is about an artist, living in a solitary lighthouse - Philip Rhayader, a local girl - Fritha, their friendship symbolized by the wounded bird
Leon van den Hoven
Valerie Petersen
This is a beautiful story of love and bravery. Loneliness, the healing of a lost, wounded Snow Goose, a haunting affaire de coeur and the Dunkirk rescue all somehow combine magically. Beautifuully written!
Deanne
Beautifully written short story with the climax at Dunkirk, difficult to imagine what it must have been like to be stuck on those beaches when that flotilla of boats turned up 60 years ago.
Wanda
Nov 29, 2014 Wanda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wanda by: Laura
30 NOV 2014 - recomended by Laura. See Laura's review here -- https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Fani
Makes me cry like a baby every time I read it; it's one hell of a book. Amazing writing, vivid imagery, touching story... if only it was longer!
Abdallah
I was first introduced to this novella through the work of Andrew Latimer's Camel concept album "Music Inspired By The Snow Goose", I've been postponing it for years now, and for some reason I also don't know, I read it but with a little twist, I read the novella with Camel's music as the background and actually it's a pretty perfect combination, the rhythms\solos of Andrew's guitar, the string section and the timing of the album accompanies you through this short journey of sentiment & frie ...more
The other John
I'm not sure what to call this--a 20th century fable? It's a short tale of Philip Rhayader, a kind and artistic soul with a deformed body. In his twenties, he moves to the English seacoast to live in seclusion, away from the repulsive looks and attitudes of "normal" people. He spends his time painting, sailing his boat and caring for the birds that take up residence in his property. He finds peace in this lifestyle, but one day a young girl from the nearby village brings a injured snow goose to ...more
Steven
A beautiful, sentimental allegory of a wounded bird, an ugly man, and a beautiful girl in a wounded world.
Thom Swennes
What really constitutes a hero? Soldiers and sailors are often awarded medals for actions they perform while facing the enemy. In many, if not most cases it is just the result of a natural circumstance in which they are in. They are trained to fight and react under stress. They are caught up in the moment with no way out. I think that most REAL heroes are those that put themselves in danger purely to save others from dangers beyond their control. Where most men would turn tail to safety (or neve ...more
Jessica Lu
This small little book was published in 1941 telling a sentimental story happened in Essex coast, England from 1930 to 1940. The author was however, an American! This fact stunned me as a part of the story was told in a very British local accent way that I had to guess most of the words!

Anyway, the story is beautiful and a tearjerker:
A disable man with a hunchback and a claw hand, but also a talented painter with a loving heart, lived in an abandoned lighthouse alone. He loves nature and nurture
Chris
This book comprises of two short stories; The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle

Phillip Rhayader is a disfigured hermit living in an old abandoned lighthouse on the Essex coast during the 1930s. He stays away from the local villagers not because he is afraid of them, he just prefers a solitary life. He spends his time painting and looking after wildfowl. One day a young girl from the village brings him a wounded snow goose which he nurses back to health. He forms a friendship with this girl (a cl
RoseClaryGrangerCelaenaTessa
Five stars

Paul Gallico is one of America's most celebrated authors. After reading The Snow Goose, a short story of 54 pages -which just so happened to be the book that steadily grew his novelist reputation- it's not hard to see why.

The Snow Goose is a heart wrenching story that skillfully portrays ugly truths that are so often overlooked because of embarrassment, fear, or better yet that, "Physical deformity often breeds hatred of humanity in men."

It is a story of a girl. A crip
bjneary
Apr 19, 2008 bjneary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages picture book
Shelves: picture-book
A modern classic that tells the story of a grotesque looking man, Philip, who isolates himself from human contact at a lighthouse on the English coast. One day, a young girl, Frith, arrives with a wounded snow goose. Philip nurses the goose back to health and the threesome forge a bond with annual visits to the lighthouse. War intrudes and their peace is forever altered. Illustrations by Angela Barrett are perfect in depicting isolation and beauty.
Laura Verret
Rhayader has never been loved. He’s always been the ugly, deformed hunchback who, if anyone took the time to talk to him, it was obviously with great effort on their part. By all rights Rhayader should be consumed with hatred - but he isn’t. His own soul is too big to be bitter. But he does yearn for companionship.

But since the joys of human friendship cannot be his, Rhayader removes himself to a deserted lighthouse where he offers the migrating fowl his protection and hospitality. He becomes kn
Penny
My copy was published in March of 1965. It has no ISBN so I could not find it. This is a story of bravery and sacrifice. The scene is set in Essex, England. The Snow Goose convoys a small boat through the smoke of Dunkirk to help in the rescue of the stranded British fighting men. But there is much more to this story. The book only has 58 pages. Find it, read it, you'll be glad you did.
Pete Bailey
Dec 31, 2007 Pete Bailey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most people
It's a short book and a quick read largely based on a true story. Not to give it away, but there's a guy, a girl, a bird (the snow goose) and the noble effort by average Englishmen to help in the evacuation at Dunkirk in 1940. A very moving read. BTW if you're interested, the British progressive group Camel recorded an album "Music Inspired by THE SNOW GOOSE" in 1974 and it is quite good.
Christina Wainwright
A customer said I had to read this. I'd read a few of Gallico's Mrs. 'Arris books (cozy series with a British char lady) as a kid, so was surprised at the beauty of this slim story about a bird bringing together a hermit & a child, and the intrusion on WWII. My edition was only 57 pages, but this quick read will linger in your thoughts.
Onysha
Most novels with World War II playing a significant part in it are usually about concentration camps, Jews and the Nazis, and mainly Nazis. This one has the Dunkirk Evacuation. One reason to read this.

Gallico has gorgeous, poetic prose. His descriptions breathe and flow smooth as silk. You only know the characters for about fifty pages, yet feel for them and feel their loss by the end of the book. The story is sentimental, melodramatic, and soggy with readers' (and perhaps the writer's) saltwate
Paula
I read this many years during an English class when I was 14. I'd finished my set work early and the young substitute teacher handed me a copy of The Snowgoose saying, "I think you'll like this." I devoured it during the lesson and cried at my desk. Just beautiful.
Darleen
One of my all-time favorite books, I first read this in elementary school and reread it every two years. This is a short story about unexpected love--wild love--of an alienated, tender soul, Philip, a Canadian Snow Goose and a young Saxon girl.
Martin
This was one of the books my Uncle Chuck left me. It's a very short story and very sweet, the Hallmark Hall of Fame of short stories. It's so short it's impossible to describe the plot without spoiling it.
Stephen
Speaking here only of The Snow Goose; I have not read the other work but could not find the Snow Goose as a single volume. Lump in throat, a weepie, but a fine, appealing story.

There's a great audio version that sounds as if it was done for the radio in the 1940s or early 50s with scratchy dramatic violins in the background. Makes a terrific radio play, with colorful cockney accents that most classroom or at-home readers couldn't do as well. I want to say Claire Bloom plays Frith but probably f
Goodreads Librari...: combine edition 3 17 Jul 13, 2012 10:14PM
  • An Episode of Sparrows
  • The Silent Duchess
  • Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
  • More Die of Heartbreak
  • She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!
  • Six-Dinner Sid
  • Green Mansions
  • After the War
  • A Lost Lady
  • The Heat of the Day
  • Escape From Warsaw
92064
Paul William Gallico was born in New York City, on 26th July, 1897. His father was an Italian, and his mother came from Austria; they emigrated to New York in 1895.

He went to school in the public schools of New York, and in 1916 went to Columbia University. He graduated in 1921 with a Bachelor of Science degree, having lost a year and a half due to World War I. He then worked for the National Boar
More about Paul Gallico...
The Poseidon Adventure Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris Jennie Thomasina The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and Homeless Cats

“This is her home now--of her own free will.” 3 likes