Start by marking “Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook” as Want to Read:
Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook

Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  848 ratings  ·  88 reviews
The finest guidebook ever written for the Big Island and the only one written by writers who anonymously review the island. They visit every beach, restaurant, activity and trail on the island. The result is this comprehensive, humorous and easy-to-read full color guide that will lead you to more adventures than any other book. A must for travelers.
Paperback
Published June 1st 2002 by Wizard Publications (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hawaii the Big Island Revealed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawaii the Big Island Revealed

M M Penner
I have this booked marked with many sticky notes. I'm heading to Hawaii to celebrate my mom-in-laws 75th birthday later this year. I'm very much looking forward to this trip. It looks like it could be my new "most beautiful place on earth" (overtaking Vancouver, B.C.). I have to remember that this trip is not what I can get out of it, but an opportunity to experience Hawaii with my in-laws. I think we'll be able to find some great activities to do. This book does a great job of outlining areas a ...more
Karen
Just left the big island and this book proved to be a awesome guidebook. I'm not a fan of how it's laid out, it's by activity and not by area but the content is spot on. The directions, vibe, timing of your visit, and leaving local hangouts for locals on the weekend was all good info. I'll use this book and others in the series!
Robert
This is the first time I decided to not use a Lonely Planet guide book for my trip. This book has raving reviews and it is written by someone living on the Big Island so my guess was this would be the best guide book available.

And, in a way, it probably is. Every aspect of the island is discussed. Often with great humor and useful tips. The sometimes brutal honesty of the writer makes it clear that it isn't just trying to "sell" the island but tries to give actual useful information.

My major iss
Tom Bentley
I don't feel like a big cheater (and small cheaters are charming, right?), but I didn't read this one word-for-word. However, I did check out every page—and some pages many times—before I spent my recent 5 weeks house-sitting on the Big Island, and during that time. This is a rich resource, a smooth combination of history, updated facts and anecdotal asides.

Every recommendation (and they aren't just for expensive touristy things, but for quirky oddnesses too) was solid. One big plus: the writer
Amy
First off, a copy/paste from my previous review on THE ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDEBOOK by the same author, just replace "THE ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDEBOOK" with "HAWAII THE BIG ISLAND REVEALED":
This book is clearly geared towards tourists who rely on guidebooks to tell them what to do on their vacation in order to get the most bang for their buck. It certainly beats the other guidebooks of the area, like Lonely Planet or Fodor's, as THE ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDEBOOK does provide a comprehensive and rather hones
Wendy
So far we have not only gained excellent knowledge of history on the island and have found some awesome beaches. Maps are way more accurate then the one we bought. Shows when you need 4 wheel drive. Important!

Now that I am finished with it I would say overall it was helpful. However some maps were inacurate and the restaurant reviews were bad.
example: We went to an ONO rated fish place called Jackie Rey's Ohana grill. Fish was really good but I wanted the whole serving for the price we payed. ar
Linda
I can’t help but like a guidebook that makes me laugh. It is chockfull of insider tips and thorough in its coverage with candid commentary. Author, Andrew Doughty, has been criticized by locals for putting places into the book that should have remained private, who may shoot first and ask questions later of tourists ignoring posted trespassing signs. However, as an independent traveler, I really enjoyed and appreciate his willingness to take me to places a bit off the beaten path. However, havin ...more
Sue Hurt Wait
According to everybody, including the authors of this book, Hawaii the Big Island Revealed really is the ultimate guidebook. I did enjoy the easy-going attitude of the writing and the extremely frank opinions shared, but after reading the whole book from cover to cover, I think it should be retitled "Hawaii Boot Camp for Jocks, Daredevils, and Twenty-somethings" because even just reading it was physically exhausting. Every other entry was "climb this, jump off that, hike uphill for an hour to se ...more
Jessica Rooney
Best guidebook

This honest and matter-of-fact guidebook is a must have in planning a vacation! I have used Andrew's guidebooks for Maui, Kauai, and Oahu and have been pleased beyond expectation! I have no doubt that my trip to Mona in November will be just as awesome!
Becky Jenson Straub
This is my favorite series of guidebooks for all the Hawaiian islands. This is the 4th I've bought! Interesting and anonymously reviewed, I love the humor and integrity. Looking forward to our trip next month!
Sylvester
This is the kind of guide book your best friend would write - with her honest opinion (don't go here, it's not worth your time; don't miss this, you'll regret it), a lot of humour, and interesting tidbits of history all thrown together. Without this book we would have missed so many of the little unmarked treasures like Kiholo Beach, with it's sunbathing turtles and Queen's Bath, or Pawai Bay with it's wonderful snorkeling, or the lava pool beside the ocean in Puna which was completely wild and ...more
Amy
I've read several books for our upcoming trip to Hawaii, and this one was definitely more in-depth and useful. There is excellent web content as well. The other books discuss all of the islands, so if you are only visiting one, then only a small portion of those books applies. This one is for only the big island, so it goes into much greater depth and provides very useful information, like the cheapest places to rent snorkel equipment, restaurant recommendations for each area, etc.
Matt Silva
Rebecca Ingram
This book was so useful on our trip to the big island. It became sort of our travel bible. The information was accurate and useful.
Aftan
Absolutely fantastic! This has been so helpful in planning my trip. Well worth the purchase price and then some!
anne
This is the best guidebook on the Big Island, hands-down, and the one that pretty much everyone visiting the island seems to be following, even when they're going off the beaten path. Check out this book for a really good, still somewhat secret hike out to the backside of the erupting Pu'u'o'o vent, and thorough information on hiking and camping in the lesser populated areas. Lots of good color photos and maps too. The only drawback is that I didn't really understand the order the book "traveled ...more
Heather
Fodor's Hawaii book is my preference, but great insight tips none the less.
Christa
This is a super useful and easy-to-read book in terms of figuring out what there is on the Big Island, but I totally messed up and got a 7-year-old edition. I may need to get a newer one because I'm not confident this info is still valid. After all, there are VOLCANOES EXPLODING on the island, which can modify tourism pretty significantly. Anyway, it's a good read, written by people who live in Hawaii, and has a bunch of less-touristy touristy stuff to do in it (locations of lava tubes that aren ...more
Betsy Whitmer
Primo guide book to the largest of the Hawaiian islands, Hawai'i.
Sara
This was fabulous! I figured I would use it for a reference, but ended up reading it through - tons of information and highlights for a Big Island trip. I did a number of the hikes and appreciated the recommendations for places to stop or points of interest along a drive. Found myself laughing outright at parts (I'm sure the people on the plane thought I was nuts).

It made my trip so much better, and I ran into a number of other vacationers who also thought it was a fantastic must-have!
Perry
Sep 06, 2008 Perry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is traveling to hawaii
Recommended to Perry by: friends who own a condo in hawaii
If you plan on traveling to hawaii, this book is a must. There is one for all the islands and the information is fantastic. I have recommended it to most of my friends and they all say it is the best travel book for Hawaii. This one focuses on the big island. Of course, I didn't agree with everything they recommended but almost everything was dead on. The book is very well written and is easy to read. There are wonderful maps and tips for beaches and snorkeling are great.

Judee
Excellent! Even better is the app that gives you directions to the places you are reading about. This is a must have for any visit to the Big Island.
Anne
Probably one of the best tour books I've ever read. I laughed as I was being informed. A pure delight!
katemfs
So I re-read the second edition to prepare for my trip (14 working days to go!).

It was like traveling back in time, because I think it was written shortly before I moved there.

Needless to say, if I could read a travel book like this for all places I ever visit, I would be a happy girl.

Only critique is that the photos could be of higher quality... but that's a publisher/printer issue, rather than the writing. Three cheers for this book.
Blakely
The Hawaii Revealed series of books is definitely a must-read for anyone going to Hawaii. Lots of great, detailed information on tourist attractions, hikes, beaches, etc. My only critiques are:

1. I don't like the way the maps are laid out
2. Because most of the activities, beaches, etc. are separated from the rest of the book it can be annoying to try to find beaches and activities when you're in a particular area of Hawaii.
Shannan
An honest, informal review of the Big Island. I used it extensively to plan our honeymoon, most of which was on this island. It is written by locals and is dead on. This book lists a lot of hidden hikes, beaches and the like that were great. In particular, the $10 lava cave tour was fanstastic and none of the locals had even heard of it. HIGHLY reccomended if you're going to Hawaii (the Oahu book was great, too)
Sasha
If you go to any island in Hawaii, make sure you take the guide book written by these authors.

Packed full of helpful touristy information, directions, etc., this book is a real gem because it's also got all the history, science, and culture in it, too. The author is very honest in his reviews, and has a terrific sense of humor. It was a great help, but it was also FUN to read.

This really is the ULTIMATE Guidebook.
Terry Tracz
Excellent guide to parts of the island you might otherwise miss. Use in conjunction with the Moon book on the Big Island. I found that these books complement each other nicely, and we found both extremely useful as we toured around the island! Examples include the best picnic spots, best scenic drives/alternate routes, best places to eat (gotta have a shave ice or you really missed something!)
Al Maki
I used a number of guides to plan a trip to Hawaii and this was by far the most useful to me.
Karl Lehtinen
Why doesn't any one put travel books on their list?

OK, I haven't actually looked at anyone else's list yet - but I would imagine they don't.

This book was great for traveling to the Big Island. Tons of honesty - the least likely element in most travel books.

If you are going to the Big Island and don't know anyone that lives there, this is what you need to take.
  • Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands
  • Fodor's Ireland 2011
  • Braving Home: Dispatches from the Underwater Town, the Lava-Side Inn, and Other Extreme Locales
  • Waking Up in Eden: In Pursuit of an Impassioned Life on an Imperiled Island
  • Rick Steves' London 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • A Sense of Place: Great Travel Writers Talk About Their Craft, Lives, and Inspiration
  • MySQL Cookbook
  • Sara Midda's South of France: A Sketchbook
  • A Field Guide to Wildflowers: Northeastern and North-central North America
  • Six Months in the Sandwich Islands: Among Hawaii's Palm Groves, Coral Reefs and Volcanoes
  • Sons of the Profits: There's No Business Like Grow Business. The Seattle Story, 1851-1901
  • Celebration, U.S.A.: Living in Disney's Brave New Town
  • Holy Days: The World Of The Hasidic Family
  • Go Outside and Come Back Better: Benefits from Nature That Everyone Should Know
  • Myths of Motherhood: How Culture Reinvents the Good Mother
  • 501 Must-Visit Destinations
  • National Geographic Guide to the National Parks of the United States
Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed Oahu Revealed: The Ultimate Guide to Honolulu, Waikiki & Beyond Oahu Revealed: The Ultimate Guide To Honolulu, Waikiki & Beyond (Oahu Revisited) The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook 7th (seventh) edition Text Only