Start by marking “Tapestry” as Want to Read:
Tapestry

Tapestry (Werner Family Saga #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,394 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
As the vivid events of World War II plunge the world into a dizzying vortex of change, an unforgettable American family must summon extraordinary courage to face birth, death, murder, illicit passion and great tragedy. And one passionate man must fight his own war against evil--a war that can only be won with honor, integrity and love.
Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Published June 24th 2008 by Dell (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Tapestry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tapestry

Donna
Jul 17, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Tapestry is carried into the 1920's and 30's, where once again we meet Paul Werner and his family. Paul is married to Marian; and now they are suffering a painful loss of the stillborn child and consequences that leaves Marian in a barren state, never to conceive again.
Paul's aunt Hennie's husband, Dan, is put in jail for his reform ideas. Only a bootlegger, Donal Powers, can get Dan released. How this was done was kept hush hush.
Paul travels to Europe on banking business and visits Germany wher
Nadinedebussy
« -Bien sûr, c'est terrible qu'un gouvernement permette des choses pareilles et laisse des voyous se conduire comme ça.
- (…) ne les a pas laissés faire, il le leur a ordonné »

« -On étrangle notre économie (…) avec un budget bien équilibré, on pourrait éviter toutes ses souffrances. Mais vos industriels de droite ne laisseraient pas le gouvernement lever des impôts ; ils sont en train de s'enrichir de la ruine du mark. »

« Mario est un militant pacifiste. Je l'ai averti je ne sais combien de fois.
Diana
Apr 03, 2013 Diana rated it really liked it
A saga (440 pages) about a Jewish family (mostly non-practicing) and how they survive the trials in their life. Apparently Belva Plain wrote two stories (Evergreen and The Golden Cup) about this family previously. During WWI, this family had a son severly injured and he later dies from these injuries. This story begins in the 1920's and continues through WWII.
The main character would probably have to be Paul Werner, a banker, and someone everyone seems to admire....no matter what he does. Paul
Vivien Farrell
Oct 31, 2015 Vivien Farrell rated it it was amazing
Both the Golden Cup and Tapestry are the continuation of the Werner family saga, following Evergreen. Tapestry probably my favourite but all are wonderful.
Interesting history of the times; the Werners are Jewish immigrants from Germany living in America. Paul Werner visits Germany to see relatives and the lives of the Jews living there as the war becomes closer, are fascinatingly woven into the story. The Golden Cup follows the First World War with one of their
own enlisting in the British army
Gwen
Oct 04, 2010 Gwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to read books by Belva Plain for her character descriptions make me feel like I know the people, yet she doesn't drag them on and on. This is a story about a Jewish business man and his family during the years just prior to World War II and the changes in Europe and at home that give indications that a war is on the horizon. It also is a story of his loves and emotions that he experiences as he goes through life and the impact that not having children has on both he and his wife.
Carmen
Feb 02, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many spectacular women portraits in this book. Paul was more interested in his work (as a banker) and his large Jewish family than in women in general. Unfortunate of not being able to have his own child, his love had transferred to nieces and nephews. But along came his travels to Europe (Germany especially), the extraordinary events and meeting and loving two sensitive, full of love and regrets widows, Ilsa and Lea.
Deborah Pickstone
3.5 stars for storytelling

Lord, I never knew it went on to 5 books! Belva Plain can surely tell a story though the Werner books, I would say, were her own favourites as a) she kept going back to them and b) they are a bit more alive than others of hers I have read. She's a bit formulaic and that almost always detracts, to my mind. I suspect they also were autobiographical regards her own family. But what would I know? :)

Barton Hills
Nov 09, 2011 Barton Hills rated it it was ok
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Susan Thompson
Feb 23, 2013 Susan Thompson rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Really enjoyed getting back to the Werner family saga. This one takes place in New York and Europe during the 1920's up to and after WW II. Paul Werner kept me reading with every situation he was involved in. I highly recommend this book about relationships, love, infidelity, greed and murder.
Jeanne
Apr 22, 2011 Jeanne rated it liked it
a book from the past...picked up at a friends of the library sale and enjoyed it. an easy read about a NY family in the 1920-40 period told from a mans point of view. i used to read a lot of her books so this was a nice treat
Michele Minor
Feb 08, 2011 Michele Minor rated it really liked it
This book starts out in the roaring twenties and ends at the end of World War II and is told from the viewpoint of an American Jewish banker. It is interesting to see events in American history from a Jewish perspective.
jeffrey
Oct 10, 2015 jeffrey rated it liked it
A continuation of the Werner family saga, with an unsatisfying ending. The story is just interesting enough to keep you going, but barely. There's a lack of place setting detail compared to other potboilers of similar ilk, which doesn't help.
Pam George
Apr 16, 2015 Pam George rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I read Evergreen many, many years ago. I almost feel as if I should go back and re-read the first two books in this wonderful saga. I've forgotten a lot. My only advice is read them in order, and don't read them as far apart as I have done.
Dalton
Dec 16, 2009 Dalton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting tale of the Jewish plight during Hitler's reign from the point of view of a Jewish family in America. It was more than that, though. It was a very good tale of a family with their own personal secrets and dramas.
Cheryl
Jan 27, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
What can I say - it is Belva Plain - about real life - could be your life or mine. I really wish she wasn't so nonchalant about extramarital affairs. She is so 'I just want to be happy - that is what is important - and I am not hurting anyone."
Kassie
Jun 07, 2015 Kassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this book, the author wrote a series of books on this family and I have read two of them out of order. Will look up the series and order the next one.
Kathy C.
Jan 13, 2008 Kathy C. rated it it was amazing
The saga of the Werner family continues in this novel set during World War II. Belva Plain is a master storyteller whose characters are long remembered.
Karen
Aug 05, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Another good book from Belva Plain but not my favorite. She again does a good job of creating shades of gray in the characters but the main story wasn't as compelling as in The Golden Cup
Kathy Adams
Aug 06, 2013 Kathy Adams rated it liked it
Fast read. First few chapters were slow for me but think I would have understood the characters better if I had read the first book, Evergreen.
Mj
Dec 26, 2010 Mj rated it liked it
Tapestry is a nice family saga set between the two World Wars. Yes, it is predictable, but makes a good book to read for leisure. I was ready for just such a read.
Tami Roof
Jan 29, 2008 Tami Roof rated it it was amazing
This is one my first favorite books. I think I read it 3 times in a row and that was years ago. Just thinking about it now, I want to read it over again.
Marni
May 15, 2014 Marni rated it really liked it
I picked up this old book because I remember reading Evergreen many years ago. I enjoyed this sage just as much.
Virginia Albanese
Feb 04, 2012 Virginia Albanese rated it liked it
Her usual story of immigrant family in NYC and rise and fall of various family memebers. Good read for vacation.
Darla Van
Sep 10, 2012 Darla Van rated it liked it
This is only the second Belva Plain book that I have read. I think though that it is typical of her stories. A quick and good read.
Miriam
Dec 17, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it
Another piece of the history of Paul Werner and his family. So interesting to find out more details in each book.
MaryHelen
Jul 06, 2011 MaryHelen rated it liked it
This was a good book; I enjoyed it. It's set in time period just following WWI and including WWII - a period in history that I find interesting.
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Iva Rogers
Iva Rogers rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2011
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2014
  • The Beachcomber
  • Heart of the Night
  • Joy Street
  • Before the Darkness Falls (Savannah Quartet, #3)
  • Oh, That I Had Wings
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • The Midwife
  • The Outsider
  • Snowfire
  • A Season of Swans (Wild Swan Trilogy, #3)
  • The Angry Wife
  • Seasons of the Heart
Belva Plain was a best-selling American author of mainstream women's fiction. Her first novel, Evergreen (1978) topped the New York Times bestseller list for 41 weeks and was made into a TV miniseries. At her death, there were over 30 million copies of her twenty-plus novels in print in 22 languages.

More about Belva Plain...

Werner Family Saga (5 books)
  • Evergreen