Little Bear's Little Boat

Little Bear's Little Boat

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Little Bear loves his little boat. He rows it around Huckleberry Lake, fishing and dreaming. But then Little Bear begins to grow and grow, until one day he doesn’t fit in his little boat anymore! All children who experience growing pains will appreciate Little Bear’s predicament. And they will smile with satisfaction as the solution to his problem unfolds in simple, lyrica...more
Published May 19th 2003 by Clarion Books

Corduroy by Don FreemanBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneLittle Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Bears on Bookcovers
97th out of 134 books — 15 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussThe Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold LobelDinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneCaps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
Preschoolers at Second Grade Level
60th out of 69 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Russell
A wonderfully touching tale of sentimentality, growth, and change. Handles the topic of forced movement through life's stages without being preachy about it. Adorable illustrations that really convey the story. (view spoiler)...more
Angie
"Little Bear loves his little boat. He rows it around Huckleberry Lake, fishing and dreaming. But then Little Bear begins to grow and grow, until one day he doesn’t fit in his little boat anymore! All children who experience growing pains will appreciate Little Bear’s predicament. And they will smile with satisfaction as the solution to his problem unfolds in simple, lyrical words and charming pictures from two award-winning picture-book creators."

My Review: I am so glad I picked up this book fo...more
Abby Drommerhausen
This is a great little book that brings up destiny. My little guy, who won't sit still for anything loves this book and begs to read it. There is another follow up book called Big Bears Big Boat, which is a nice addition.
Becky
Little Bear loves sailing his boat on Huckleberry Lane. He loves, loves, loves his little boat. It is just perfect for him. But, as Little Bear begins to grow--slowly but surely--his little boat loses its just right-ness. Little Bear doesn't understand why it is his destiny to grow and his boat's destiny to stay exactly the same. But he does accept this truth and adds to it. It is the boat's destiny to find a new little bear. And it is equally important to let that new little bear know that he t...more
Becky
I thought this book was lovely. Very short, but it had a good moral about everything having its 'destiny'.

SPOILER:

It was about a little bear who had a beloved boat, but one day he grew up and couldn't fit it anymore. His mother said the boat's destiny was to stay the same size and the bear's destiny was to grow up. The bear went in search of another bear to own his old boat.

Splendid story, I was very touched by the good message it sends to young children. Not just about everything having its pu...more
Mckinley
When he gets too big for his boat he takes action.
Kimberly
Charming and beautiful.
Brenda
Cute board book
Barb Middleton
As Elmer Fudd would say, bear has a widdo boat. He woves his widdo boat. But den he got bwigger and bwigger until he sunk his boat. Ma says it's his destiny to gwow bwig. He tinks da boat's destiny is to be on da lake. So he finds anodder widdo bear and gives him his boat. No wabbits in dis story, but there should have been, den Elmer could 'ave hunted dem. I am a widdo tired. I been teaching for 165 days or someding like dat. I weally shouldn't write when I feel dis way. Does anyone wead deese...more
Margaret
Love this book. It is a perfect read right now for my toddler daughter, now big sister, learning all sorts of tasks about being a big girl. It is her destiny to grow up and another little girl may be blessed by her little girl things and love them as she does.

Typed on Kindle Fire.
Thanks to HMH for providing a copy for review.

Originally posted: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Chak
Little Bear's Little Boat is a great book for a 2 to 4 year old. Little Bear grows up and he outgrows his very-much-loved boat and decides to give it to another little bear who is just the right size for it. I love this book because it is simply written and drawn and encourages kids to share. My son loves this book and he also really enjoys giving away his old toys to younger kids. Coincidence?
Mary
It is Little Bear's destiny to grow into a big bear! Unfortunately, it is not a little boat's destiny to do the same thing. This is a book about letting go of things that you love because you are too big but letting others enjoy what you have loved so much. Everything and everyone has a destiny, and it is not always true that those destinies will coincide. A very profound book for children!
Ariel Cummins
Sweet story about a little bear who loves his boat until he gets a little too big for it. He passes it on to a new little bear, so the boat can continue to fulfill his destiny of sailing on the blue lake.

Gentle, painted images accompany the text with clear colors and slightly minimalist drawings.

A lot of text - maybe too much for story time? And slightly small-format.
Holly
I love this author and I love this book. It's about outgrowing toys and outgrowing childhood. It melts me into a sentimental mess.

"You are too big a bear now to fit in that little boat," Mother said. "It is a little bear's destiny to grow and grow till he is a BIG BEAR. It is a little boat's destiny to stay the same size."
June
Jul 24, 2012 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bear, boat requests
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices
The two boys that were at the beginning of storytime, seemed entranced by this quiet story.

Little bear loves his little boat, but then something happens - he grows. He decides he needs to find another little bear to love the little boat and makes a bigger boat for himself.
Snortle
This gentle tale of a little bear growing up is very heartwarming and reassuring for little ones as they mature and share with those younger than them. Follow this with “Big Bear’s Big Boat” to find another great tale of growing up and following one’s dream.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Delightful approach to growing up and become who we're meant to be. I liked reading it aloud for library story time. Grown-ups always smiled and children enjoyed the simple plot.
Janae
This would be a good story to help a toddler understand why it's nice to hand down your old toys to a little brother or sister. I'm going to revisit it in about 5 months.
I like that this book teaches children about growing up and out of smaller things. It also teaches about giving and enjoying people enjoy the things that they are given.
Angela
An endearing coming-of-age story about outgrowing his favorite thing and learning the value of giving it away so someone else can enjoy it.
Devin
Helps kids think about giving to others, purpose of life (destiny), what you don't need anymore can be a great blessing for others, etc.
Adrielle
A deeper and sweeter story than you usually get in a board book. I was pleasantly surprised and surprisingly moved.
Kathryn
Loved the storyline and the illustrations. It was a joy to read to my toddler (over and over and over again)!
Lindsay
A sweet story about getting older (and bigger) and sharing those things you've outgrown.
Maria
I always use this book for boat-themed storytimes.
Gail
The part where the bear falls in the water is good.
Stacy Vance

Kids loved this book. Great illustrations,
Catherine Austen
Beautiful. Worth searching for.
Jane
Love the spirit of generosity.
Carrie Gelson
Growing up. the sweetest little book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
19126
Eve Bunting is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “There used to be Shanachies… the shanachie was a storyteller who went from house to ho...more
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall S.O.S. Titanic Flower Garden