A Just Determination (JAG in Space, #1)

A Just Determination (JAG in Space #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Fresh from the Academy, Ensign Paul Sinclair has been assigned to the warship USS Michaelson/I>, whose mission is to stop any foreign vessels from violating U.S. sovereign space.

When Captain Peter Wakeman mistakenly destroys a civilian science- ship perceived as hostile, Sinclair must testify against Wakeman at a court-martial hearing. But Sinclair believes that the se...more
Published April 29th 2003 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about A Just Determination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Just Determination

Old Man's War by John ScalziStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinPandora's Star by Peter F. HamiltonRevelation Space by Alastair ReynoldsOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Excellent Space Opera
152nd out of 262 books — 1,339 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziOn Basilisk Station by David WeberThe Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Best Military Science Fiction Books
207th out of 365 books — 379 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric_W
Interesting blend of hard SF and legal drama. Ensign Paul Sinclair’s first ship assignment is on the USS Michaelson, where, in addition to his other duties, he acts as the ship's legal officer. The naval dialogue seems quite realistic, and were it not for a few references to space stuff, one might think they were aboard a modern day Navy ship. Except there was not one “fuck” in the entire book. So maybe in the future they have eliminated all swearing; yeah, right.

The Michaelson’s captain Wakefie...more
Stephen
2.0 to 2.5 stars. This was a tough book for me to rate because I liked the "realistic" approach to both life aboard a Navy ship as well as the detailed aspects of the "court martial" that is at the heart of the story. I also liked the main character, Paul Sinclair.

The reason for the rating of just "okay" was because I thought the writing was a bit simplistic (maybe geared towards a younger audience) and the way the story unfolded didn't hold my interest as much as I thought it would. I am a fan...more
Daniel Cann
Having read and hugely enjoyed Hemry’s other military science fiction series ‘Stark’ and ‘The Lost Fleet’ I eagerly got stuck into this one. I was not sure what to expect this time with the courtroom, legal angle in outer space but from the pen of Hemry I knew this would be a strong character driven adventure.

In Paul Sinclair we have a believable, fallible ensign who takes the reader into a world that is hectic and extremely stressful and demanding.

The USS Michaelson is not a shiny, flashy spac...more
Janell
Really enjoyed this book! This is the Navy in space and the author is obviously well versed with the military. Our main character, Paul, is the legal officer aboard a spaceship and finds himself embroiled in a court-martial. Really liked the main character and his determination to act with integrity. Although it appears to be in the sci-fi category, I'd actually describe it as military drama. No aliens here! :-) This is actually the same author as the Lost Fleet series but with those he writes u...more
Andreas
The first book in the “JAG in Space” series is a short and neat novel about a young ensign, an incident, and a court martial. Hemry delivers a page turner. Not the heaviest reading, to be sure, but there are depths between the lines. There is in fact quite a decent coming of age story between the covers.

I am always partial to books where I can identify with and feel sympathetic with the characters. Hemry is excellent at making the reader (well, this reader at least) identify with protagonist Pau...more
Chuck
Okay, this book combines three of my favorite genres--the courtroom thriller, science fiction, and sea fiction/Navy fiction. This book quite literally appeals to all three.

Set at the end of this century, (the 2000s), the US and various other countries have "claimed" various parts of the Solar System as "theirs." The United States Navy has extended its mission into space, and, the result is a mixture of the familiar--naval ranks, naval procedures, etc.--and the futuristic (an amazingly designed s...more
Yune
Military science fiction and law! The combination just appealed. (I am, of course, someone who read a tome on the U.S. Supreme Court history for fun)

I got exactly the story I predicted from that simple description. There was nothing unexpected about this book except perhaps the unflinching portrayals of incompetents in the Navy. They seemed a bit cartoonish, but sadly I could accept that people with issues this severe could indeed make it through the military ranks. Ensign Paul Sinclair, of cour...more
Jason
I heard about this at JordanCon, and as a sci-fi fan, veteran, and law student, I thought it sounded really interesting. It turned out to be a pretty good book. While it's not gritty, super-technical, or long, I think it could easily wind up on recommended reading lists for cadets and officers in training.

The story follows a newly assigned ensign on his first cruise in the US Navy space fleet. I enjoyed the story of him learning the ropes abroad ship, and getting to know the other people on the...more
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
Campbell writes a good story. He knows what he's talking about, and he expertly describes the day-to-day life of an ensign in the (space) Navy. It really was a fascinating and engaging book! At the beginning it felt like there'd be so much science, it would be impossible to find the fction. But that quickly got resolved. It was a genuinely fun read. The romance, however? Not Campbell's forte. At all. It seemed to forced and last minute. It seemed more like a relationship of convenience rather th...more
Nick Brett
Originally published under the name John G Hemry and given a major re-issue and facelift by the publishers here in the UK.

This is a simple and almost moralistic story but it is very readable.

New Ensign joins his spaceship and is given duties as the ship's legal officer. When the Captain orders the destruction of a perceived attacking ship later proved to be harmless he is subject to a court-marshal. Young Ensign Sinclair takes a career risk by acting as a witness for the defence.....

The author's...more
Jeff Yoak
This novel exhibits what is coming to seem a pattern in Henry / Campbell's books of amazing settings and characterization and a so-so plot. Very, very little happens in the story, but the backdrop is amazing. The nickname "JAG In Space" is apt. The story centers on the trial of a captain following questionable actions in combat. What is interesting about the story isn't the combat event or even an emotional stake in the outcome of the trial but in seeing modern military court practice extended t...more
***Dave Hill
Having been on a Jack Campbell binge of late, I decided to try one of his earlier series -- in this case, the "JAG in Space" books. And I'm pleased I did, because there's a stolid freshness in this series that's long since gone out of the "Lost Fleet" saga.

The novel follows the maiden voyage of a new Space Navy ensign aboard an unhappy light cruiser. In addition to his regular duties, he's given the assignment of ship's legal officer -- a role that gets him into the thick of things when the cap...more
Dan Thompson
This one started weak but ended strong.

The basic tale is that a young ensign goes out on his first assignment in the space navy. While the ship is out on its tour, something happens, and it results in an investigation and trial for another officer. The stuff on board the ship and out on the patrol did not thrill me and in several cases it outright annoyed me. However, the investigation and the trial were top notch. The legal stuff was precise, engaging, and it seemed real. The space stuff, no, n...more
Jonathon
I really liked this book. I have recently started really enjoying military novels set in the future. While A Just Determination is exactly that, it is also a novel from the perspective of Paul Sinclair.

Paul is a young man just starting his career as a naval officer. On his first assignment on the USS Michaelson Paul's captain, a self-centered man trying to advance himself more than do his duty, makes an error that costs a group of civilians their lives.

Having been assigned duty as the ship's leg...more
Mary Catelli
Ensign Paul Sinclair, newly assigned to the space ship Michaelson, arrives there to take up his duties, and get the collateral duty, among others, of legal officer. Which means that after he has met the captain and been thoroughly less than impressed with his character, he gets the job of reviewing their orders and the vast discretion the captain has under them.

The particular orders are to patrol a section of space the United States claims and deal with any attempts to contest its sovereignity....more
J.A. Dalley
Jack Campbell has served in the Navy and knows that navy life isn't very exciting. Campbell describes the day to day life a young ensign straight out of the Navy Academy. Campbell has also obviously read the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) and the JAGMAN (Judge Advocate General's Manual) and the Manual for Courts-Martial because he depicts a very realistic court room environment.

The only bad thing I have to say about this book is that A Just Determination is a lot like the Caine Mutiny...more
Booknerd Fraser
I think Hemry did a great job with characters in this book, much better than the Lost Fleet series, even though this was earlier, and it's a very clear-eyed view of the Navy, which he clearly has affection for, but doesn't wrap things in sanctimonious patriotism. My only real question is : why is this a science-fiction novel? Is it because Hemry's ideals (and he's CLEARLY idealistic, both here and with the Lost Fleet) and writing style (which more in keeping with an advanced "young adult" level,...more
Helen
A modern take on space ships (at least, it feels more like a "todays" Navy, rather than a Nelson-esque take we usually get). This is a court-proceedural type mystery novel: but ther hero isn't the JAG - he's the one making the moral choices and figuring out where he stands in the universe. It was a nice, engaging novel but I felt a bit disapointed with it at the end. Overall, I'm glad I've read it, but it's not one I'm going to keep hold of or look for the next in the series.
Chris
Calling this 'JAG in Space' is a bit misleading, because the main character says several times that, despite getting stuck with legal duties, he Does Not Want to be a lawyer. Not as gripping as the Lost Fleet series, but the legal stuff is a fun addition to the usual space navy routines, and it's cool that it's set in the nearish future without any tech that's impossible according to current physics.
Stacey Douglas
The first in a series of naval-judicial-space opera stories about Paul Sinclair, young officer on his first shipboard assignment. A junior grade ensign, Sinclair finds himself navigating not only his career but legal, political, and social situations. Those who like JAG stories and David Feintuch's Beaufort saga will enjoy Henry's characters and their tales.
Tufty McTavish
This was an okay read - I didn't dislike it, it was just perfectly average. Took a while to get through all the initial ship procedure, protocol and chain of command description and I was still unsure who some of the characters really were by the end of things. No real surprises to be found either, but I'll continue reading the series for now.
Stephen Graham
A quick, decent space-procedural. Moves along at a good clip, the info-dumps are fairly painless, there's actual characterization. Granted, some of the developments, such as the romance, are a bit out-of-the-blue. But they're not jarring as in so much fiction.
Phillip
I found this to be an easy, engaging, and entertaining read. The main character is likable for his naivete and his integrity. The author even made the entire law/courtroom portion of the story seem interesting, despite any perceived foreshadowing.
Jota Houses
El título lo dice todo, es "Algunos hombres buenos" con naves espaciales. Entretenido una vez que coge ritmo. En la serie son cuatro y ya voy por el tercero. Tampoco se puede estar siempre leyendo a Faulkner y a Joyce (y menos si no se llevan gafas de pasta).
Tracy
Another good series by John G Hemry (also known as Jack Campbell). Not quite as action ridden as the Ethan Stark or Lost Fleet series, more of a military mystery. Regardless, still one of my favourite authors and will be reading the entire series.
Robert
Just as entertaining as his other series, aimed at at slightly younger audience. Lessons on Leadership and responsibility are couched within a sea tale right out of Forester or Wouk.
Lindsey Mcfarlane

Refreshing to have a space navy book where the crew are not humanities last hope, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest in the series. I
Karen Desmond
Goof start to the series - a cross between Battlestar Galatica and JAG. Light on the action but lots of tension and a great courtroom scene.
Barry

An excellent character driven novel combining Science Fiction and courtroom drama.
Robert
not bad. looking forward to seeing where this space lawyer goes in the next book.
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Perilous Shield (The Lost Stars, #2)
  • Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • The Clone Republic (Rogue Clone, #1)
Stark's War (Stark's War, #1) Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2) Stark's Crusade (Stark's War, #3) Burden of Proof (JAG in Space, #2) Against All Enemies (JAG in Space, # 4)