Start by marking “Paintbox Summer” as Want to Read:
Paintbox Summer

Paintbox Summer

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A summer on Cape Cod!
Kate Vale is looking forward to a dreary summer at home, when the chance comes to paint peasant furniture for Peter Hunt in his world famous shop on Cape Cod. Kate sets off joyously, convinced this will show her parents her desire to go to art school is more than a teen-age whim.

At Peasant Village, the Peter Hunt art colony, Kate makes friends with Mis
Hardcover
Published December 1st 1949 by Westminster John Knox Press

To ask other readers questions about Paintbox Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paintbox Summer

Insurgent by Veronica RothThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Books I Must Read in 2012
263rd out of 525 books — 485 voters
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
All the YA I Missed as a YA
13th out of 56 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 31, 2012 Laura added it
When I was in Jr High I devoured Betty Cavanna's books. Now as an adult I have reread some of them and decided they are like an old afghan, cozy and simple and comfortable. Her writing style is like watching an old Debbie Reynolds movie. But what stands out is how are strong and independent the heroines are, there is always a boy but most of their focus is on their own hobbies or interests.
Dottie
This book may very well have been the beginning of my lifelong fascination -- obssession? -- with color and design. I don't have any idea how many times I carried this small book down the long staircase from the library and back again but likely a half a dozen times would be my guess. What a lovely memory came back to me in thinking of this book and searching out the title after all these years.
Mjsmout
This is a book I read in high school, but I re-read it just because it is summer and this is a really summer feeling book. I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed reading it again. One of my favorite books.
Deb
For Cavanna and Folk Art fans alike. The furniture shop and owner were real. Saw a piece of the furniture in a Plymouth antique shop shortly after reading this for big bucks...
Robin
I was in 7th grade when I read this, I think. I wanted to paint by the sea and have a summer romance after I read it. A cute story for young girls.
Naomi Kelsey
This sweet and innocent summer read is one of my favorite memories. Growing up we had certain books to be read in certain seasons, and this was a beloved book for summer vacation from about age 10 to age 18 or so. I remember just loving the descriptions of clothing and the gentle, sweet tone of the writing.
It may not appeal to pre teens today, as the issues it deals with are so dated in comparison to online bullying, teen pregnancy and school shootings. But older readers may love a delightful e
Carolynne
Becca
When my grandparents were going through their books to give away before they moved into their apartment, this book ended up in a box to donate. My mom picked this one up and handed it to me. She said it was her favorite growing up and that she read it every summer. It's one of those book that is about coming of age with a romantic twist.
Jeff Aleño
Jeff Aleño marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kelly Cropenbaker
Kelly Cropenbaker marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Obsundae
Obsundae marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Melina
Melina marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Feb 08, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Grettel
Grettel marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
American juvenile author (full name: Elizabeth Allen) Betty Cavanna suffered from a crippling disease, infantile paralysis, as a child, which she eventually overcame with treatment and exercise. During her convalescence, attentive adults read to her until she was old enough to read to herself, beginning a long love affair with books.

Cavanna majored in journalism at the New Jersey College for Women
More about Betty Cavanna...
Going On Sixteen Ruffles And Drums The Boy Next Door Angel on Skis A Girl Can Dream