Start by marking “The Organized Student: Teaching Children the Skills for Success in School and Beyond” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A must-read for parents, The Organized Student contains hands-on strategies for teaching your disorganized child how to organize for success in middle school and high school, with special tips for kids with ADD/ADHD and learning disorders.

The overstuffed backpack, the missing homework, the unused planner, the test he didn’t know about. Sound familiar? When the di
Published July 5th 2005 by Touchstone (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Organized Student, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Organized Student

BrainBackBend
Aug 16, 2008 BrainBackBend rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and teachers
Recommended to BrainBackBend by: Dr. Wilkinson, Seja Rachelle, and Mary Wasiak
08.17.08

Finished the book a few weeks ago and have decided to promote the book to parents and try to implement the systems with my niece who is entering 9th grade this year.

This book is geared to parents, and it is not the kind of book that you just give to a child and tell him or her to read it. Rather, it will take trial and error, patience, and persistance to implement. The systems and techniques described by the authors will not be easy as teen and tween behaviors are difficult to modify. No
Mary Case
I am an adult 37-year-old college student and purchased this book for myself. I am very excited to try the suggestions for time management and DeskSet up. I have been reading organization books over the years. I find the more I read the easier it is to become more organized. This is one of the better books that I've read on organization. I would recommend this book. A lot of organization books I find great tidbits that I use. This book I intend to follow step-by-step for time management and Desk ...more
Rebecca Grace
This book came highly recommended by my kids' developmental pediatrician, and I bought it reluctantly, expecting yet another unrealistic book promising miraculous transformations through elaborate sticker charts and token-and-reward systems. I was pleasantly surprised!

Donna Goldberg, who has worked professionally with hundreds of disorganized middle and high school students on a one-on-one basis, shares a wealth of insight into what it's like to be a student today and the variety of challenges k
Lora
I can recommend this book, based on the fact that I have a very disorganized kid in my house (who rather takes after his mother, in fact). The general idea of the book is that parents have to help kids, who are being asked to keep it together much younger than ever before. At the same time parents need to step up, they need to understand that whatever Fabulous System they use to keep themselves organized may not work for their kid. Let the kids explore how to set things up, since they know their ...more
Sheila Callahan
I made it to page 140, ironically, stopping at the chapter I probably need the most: Understanding Time Management--The Basics. I only ended there because the library needs the book back. The Organized Student is useful for those of us who are organizationally challenged. I wish my parents had read it and taught me some of the precepts, but then again, the book only came out seven years ago. In the spirit that it's never too late and with a nod to the fact that not everyone is born or sees the b ...more
Lisa Rodriguez
Helped me help the kids get organized. Lots of great tips in this book!
Res
May 10, 2008 Res rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: org_biz
She has a program, and she's pretty much selling it: This is the one way to organize a desk, this is the one way to organize a backpack, etc. There are some options for personalizing based on learning style, but no acknowledgement that maybe a tackle box isn't the best solution, so here are some ways to explore other solutions.

I did like the stress throughout on not just setting up systems but learning skills; this could be generalized to all sorts of people who aren't students.
Tiffany
If you have a child who is disorganized at school, this book WILL help! The difference in my child is fantastic--it also helps you as a parent (especially if you are innately organized or somewhat so) to realize that organization is a skill to be learned, but must make sense to the person doing the organizing. It doesn't have to make sense to everyone else. I found this so simple, yet so novel!
Gloria
Jul 16, 2008 Gloria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gloria by: Mr. Harris
I read this (quickly, granted) because Mr. Harris recommended it. Also, because, I believe, FMS will be recommending it to parents in the Magnet Program.

Overall, a good book, with helpful suggestions both for organizing and working with your child as s/he develops his/her own systems. I did think the reference to Vail and her thoughts on time interesting as well.

Lillian Angelovic
A good guide for parents of kids with executive function difficulties. Not as applicable to my three online-schooled kids (no papers or books to haul back and forth from school, and workspace & desk supplies are quite different, plus all our planning is already set up online) but there were some good insights and it gave me ideas for new things to try.
Alexis Tanguay
Even though it is meant to help students in Elementary and Middle School certain things can be taken for the college student such as the planner section as well as the notebook and book bag areas. I skimmed through the book for the sections that could help me but I think thank it would help students in the classroom as well.
Giselle
Nov 15, 2014 Giselle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Giselle by: NAPO
Shelves: favorites
Practical tools to utilize when teaching children organization, time management, long-term assignment planning and more. I plan to refer back to this book to fine tune strategies and systems I've put in place with my children as they become more emotionally and physically capable.
Stacy
Great book. Very helpful. I plan to use the ideas in this book for my students and for my personal child.
I really like the specific information on how to set up the home desk and bookbag.
Molly Christensen
This had practical helpful hints that may actually help my students stay organized. I wasn't expecting to find anything new here, but I found tips that might even help ME stay organized.
Jean
Now that I have a middle & a high school student, I'm reading about organization techniques to help keep them on top of their school work.
Gretchyn Bailey
I'm only halfway through this book, but I've learned a lot already. Getting a handle on a student's paper chaos is outlined step by step.
Janet
Love to reference and this book is great for transitioning from elementary to middle and again middle to high school reminders and tips!!
Alto2
Some kids can't get organized no matter what systems you put in place. Thought this book might help #1 son, but no.
Deb
Very detailed and useful for a variety of situations. I'm applying this not only to my kids, but myself too!
Kari
Dec 21, 2006 Kari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with school aged children.
Excellent for getting children on track so they can succeed in school and beyond.
Susan
Good ideas. Not much on what to do if child does not find his/her groove.
Wendy
Loved this book. Great ideas for organizing teens and even younger students.
Beth Knight
Lots of good ideas in here!
Sassy Jacksun
Sassy Jacksun marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Darby
Darby marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Dionne
Dionne marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Jennifer Stanphill
Jennifer Stanphill marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Allison Crawford
Allison Crawford marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I NEED HELP!!!! 1 3 Jun 23, 2011 05:17PM
I NEED HELP!!!! 1 3 Jun 23, 2011 05:16PM
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Workbook
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School
  • Organizing from the Inside Out for Teens: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Room, Your Time, and Your Life
  • Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings
  • Your Child's Strengths: Discover Them, Develop Them, Use Them
  • The App Generation: How Today's Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy, and Imagination in a Digital World
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • How To Talk So Kids Can Learn
  • Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads: Dealing with the Parents, Teachers, Coaches, and Counselors Who Can Make--Or Break--Your Child's Future
  • The Cigarette Century: The Rise, Fall, and Deadly Persistence of the Product that Defined America
  • The Sensory Child Gets Organized: Proven Systems for Rigid, Anxious, or Distracted Kids
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • Giving The Love That Heals
  • Help Your Child to Thrive: Making the Best of a Struggling Public Education System
The Organized Student De hond heeft mijn huiswerk opgegeten!