Start by marking “The Deadliest Strain” as Want to Read:
The Deadliest Strain

The Deadliest Strain

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Sudden, unexplained deaths marked by rapid decomposition are occurring across the US. When a flesh-eating microbe is identified naturally bioterrorism is suspected & Homeland Security must go to extraordinary lengths to defend America, even to the extent of resurrecting the dead.
Published January 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Deadliest Strain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deadliest Strain

So, I Read This Book Today
Apr 28, 2014 So, I Read This Book Today rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to So, I Read This Book Today by: StoryCartel.com
Having endorsed the covert policy of supporting a Kurdish revolt in northern Iraq between 1974 and 1975, with ‘deniable’ assistance also provided by Israel and the Shah of Iran, Kissinger made it plain to his subordinates that the Kurds were not to be allowed to win, but were to be employed for their nuisance value alone. They were not to be told that this was the case, but soon found out when the Shah and Saddam Hussein composed their differences, and American aid to Kurdistan was cut off. Hard ...more
Marti
Sep 30, 2014 Marti rated it liked it
The short blurb on the cover of the book makes it seem as though it is going to be exciting. Instead, it comes across as rather low key. What seemed more exciting was the segment with the teenagers suffering from cancer, and their parents on the seagoing ship. It is nice that the one woman got to see her sister before the sister died. She herself had been treated badly, and could have died as well. One gets an idea about the struggle in the Middle East. This was not the book I thought that it wo ...more
Guy Allen
Jun 07, 2016 Guy Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Janus Effect is a good read. It is interesting with a well developed story line. The characters are realistic and believable. Knowing very little of Kurdistan recent history, I found the ravaging of this country appalling under Saddam's rule in Iraq. A description of current conditions in Afghanistan reveals the futility of the U. S. presence in this country. Fahimah is a believable and admirable character and elicits genuine concern on the part of the reader for her situation.
The indicated
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
Outbreaks of contagious necrotising fasciitis are popping up all over America, usually with only a handful of deaths. There is no apparent connection between the victims, and the disease kills in hours. An epidemiologist working for Homeland Security is sent to a military prison in Afghanistan, to seek information from a woman who worked in a chemical lab in Iraq under Saddam Hussein's regime. But all is not as it seems...

The book jumps around between narratives in the Middle East and the US, as
Eugene MacRae
Apr 19, 2014 Eugene MacRae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining thriller. In what appears to be a terrorist attack, outbreaks of a deadly, flesh-eating disease, strikes America. The only hope to stop it rests with the Iraqi biochemist believed responsible for creating the strain in the first place. But how can American officials get someone they've held prisoner for years in a CIA black site to cooperate? As the President of the United States has to deal with more deaths and mounting panic, on the other side of the world an American scientist ...more
Jann
Aug 20, 2015 Jann rated it liked it
I would have given this book four stars but the ending was rushed. It is the story of a deadly flesh eating virus that is released in the US. From the beginning you don't know if it is a terrorist act or an accident by a pharmaceutical company. The race to find the cause and cure takes us to Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran.
Debi
Oct 08, 2008 Debi rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical-thriller
Pretty good medical thriller - people are dying suddenly of necrotizing fasciitis - a flesh-eating disease. Homeland Security investigates and finds that one of Saddam's scientists had discovered the bacteria behind this disease in her lab. They track her down to find out what she knows about the disease and who might be behind it.
There was a lot of background about the Kurdish people and the tragedies that happened during Sadaam's reign. While the book was fictional, some of the history was not
Jackie
Oct 05, 2014 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book is an amazing example of the quality artistry that is Jan Coffey's work! It is very much a journey through a world very much like our with war and just simply trying to survive. It is as I come to expect from Ms.Coffey well written and developed characters and plots that are true to life experiences. I have hence read this one two more times since my first read and still love it!
Ralph McEwen
May 05, 2013 Ralph McEwen rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book jumps around but is done in a manner that following the story is easy. While the book is fictional, some of the history was not ( I Gooled and confirmed them.) and I would like to believe that the Kurdish people are accurately descripted. Not a real big thriller or action story, there is some of both but it is almost backround noise.
Kathy
Aug 27, 2008 Kathy added it
Recommends it for: Thrill seekers; however I did not like it.
Jodi Woody
I really liked "The Janus Effect." I probably would have given it five stars, but the ending was a bit anti-climatic. Good story, the characters are likable and there is plenty of suspense. The writing style is easy to read and flows well. I will be reading more by this author. 4 stars from me. For high school age and up.
Scott Voyles
Jun 24, 2014 Scott Voyles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic reading

this book was an eye opener for me, I never knew all that much about the Kurds other than the fact they had been gassed and they worked with the U.S troops. Great reading and lots of facts to think about.

Jhanz
May 26, 2012 Jhanz rated it it was ok
It was okay, though I didn't like the pacing of the story. There are also a lot of things happening all at the same time, which made the progress really slow. Took me a while to finish it, finds it kinda boring, but the plot is all right.
Pete
Jan 07, 2016 Pete rated it it was ok
You would think that with two people writing this book it would have been pretty good but it fails badly as both a thriller and romance novel.
HornFan2 (Mike)
While it's well written, it's nothing more than a Ludlum Covert-One series clone and the only thing missing is Colonel Jon Smith.
Paula
Sep 24, 2011 Paula rated it liked it
I love these kinds of books, so even though this premise did seem a bit far-fetched, I still loved and would recommend the book.
Jewelz
Mar 31, 2008 Jewelz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
It's interesting!! learning a new language!! I really couldn't believe what really killed those people! Almost feels real...
Daniel
Jun 13, 2010 Daniel rated it liked it
Interesting premise but the pacing and story are slightly off. The ending is especially anti-climatic.
Tyler Renaud
Mar 31, 2012 Tyler Renaud rated it it was ok
It was not what I expected it to be...I was looking for more death...no such luck with this book.
Sherry
May 27, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it
This was a very suspenseful book that kept you intriquid from the first page to the last.
JoAnn Ainsworth
May 07, 2009 JoAnn Ainsworth rated it it was amazing
Good tension. Keeps plot moving forward.
Phyllis
Feb 04, 2010 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Sad at the end.
Mary Beth Dye
Mary Beth Dye marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
L.V. Lloyd
L.V. Lloyd marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Sarah Knuchel
Sarah Knuchel marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Thorn
Thorn marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Veronica M. Vega
Veronica M. Vega marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Terrie Kellum pursel
Terrie Kellum pursel rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
  • Deadly Exposure (Joanna Blalock #5)
  • Sleep Softly
  • The Inquisitor (Dr. Earl Garnet, #5)
  • Resistance
  • The Society
  • Tropical Knights
  • Judgment Day
  • On The Third Day
  • Whitelaw's Wedding (The Protectors, #14) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #1075)
  • Beneath the Surface
  • Lucky Charm
  • So Dark The Night (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense #43)
  • The Seven Sins: The Tyrant Ascending
  • Strange Nervous Laughter
May McGoldrick
(a.k.a. Nikoo & Jim McGoldrick)

Nikoo and Jim McGoldrick are storytellers with a checkered past.
From the submarine shipyards of Electric Boat in Groton, Connecticut, and the clubs of Rodeo Drive, to the forges of Pennsylvania and the electronics manufacturers of Massachusetts, these two have spent their lives gathering material for their novels. Nikoo, a manufacturing engineer, an
More about Jan Coffey...