Start by marking “The Backyard Astronomer's Guide” as Want to Read:
The Backyard Astronomer's Guide

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
An essential reference tool for both beginning and veteran sky observers. Drawing on decades of stargazing experience, the authors suggest what equipment to buy and what to avoid, describe observing techniques, and explain how to hunt down the most interesting celestial objects. Each chapter is illustrated with the latest, breathtaking astrophotography.

This companion is br
Published January 1st 1994 by Camden House Publishing (Ontario, CA)

To ask other readers questions about The Backyard Astronomer's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backyard Astronomer's Guide

Jose lana
Oct 06, 2015 Jose lana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astronomy
For those that wish become a backyard astronomer this is the reference users guide it has advices and recomendations on all the hardware and software to use :optical tubes of diferent kinds ,the best oculars ,montures and indications of how to observe ,where and when;it is beautifully and reallistically illustrated. A gem
Desmond Tong
Dec 19, 2014 Desmond Tong rated it it was amazing
This book holds vast information for backyard astronomers who wish to know more about the different types of telescope and how they work, introduction to an assortment of eyepieces, how to organise star parties ect. This great book offers many tips and essential skills needed to enjoy the night sky, it touches on basic subjects to the intermediate subjects of visual and photographic astronomy. I would definitely recommend this book to any beginner who wishes to purchase a telescope or learn the ...more
Chris
Jul 09, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Lots of super-useful information. Read nearly all of it but the appendices. The actual stuff on how objects move in the sky, etc is much better presented in Ray's "The Stars: A New Way to See Them", but for the rest of the material this book is excellent.
Mark Drury
Apr 26, 2014 Mark Drury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition of this book almost two decades ago and enjoyed it so my I decided to read this newer third edition as a way to return to astronomy (and take up astrophotography). It remains an excellent reference and enjoyable read and the accompanying website does a very good job of keeping the information timely. Highly recommended!
Umbet
Feb 25, 2015 Umbet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book; I read it cover-to-cover.
Jon
Jul 29, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: amateur astronomers
I loved this book. The best astronomy guide I've read to date. And, there's a fantastic website that supplements the print edition with new material. I highly recommend the 3rd edition and plan to add it to my permanent collection of astronomy reference books.
TJ
Dec 08, 2008 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quickly read, yet thorough and substantially informative. What I lamentably failed to find, however, was a practical, comprehensive star map. Maybe I wasn't looking closely enough. Either way, this book will surely be helpful to any amateur astronomer.
Joe
Nov 27, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
There is a lot of information in this book. A lot of this is available on various Web sites but this book pulls all together in one place. Good place to start with when getting into the hobby.
Stephanie
Aug 22, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: science, nature
I am so excited! My telescope came with almost no directions or clues and this book has what looks to be the same model I have with directions on how to get it to align properly.
Shade Aura Melanson
Nov 13, 2013 Shade Aura Melanson rated it it was amazing
one very beautiful astronomy books ever. great information and photography. this book has inspired both poems and artwork. I am currently reading it again, that is how good it is!
Tim
Jul 24, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing
I think it makes a fantastic coffee table book. It includes stunning photography and enough scientific mishmash to impress your guests.
George Eordanedes-Grammatekou
very usuful book for the amateur astronomers and not only for them..anyonewho wants to learn about the sky above us should read this book!
Lance Taylor
May 23, 2012 Lance Taylor rated it it was amazing
Written with Alan Dyer. Backyard 3.0 is a must read.
Scott Nelson
Feb 04, 2013 Scott Nelson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc
Awesome introduction to the subject.
Reinard
Reinard marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Nabil
Nabil marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Shahd Tbakhi
Shahd Tbakhi marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Maithilli Bhosale
Maithilli Bhosale rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2016
Agustin Cianciulli
Agustin Cianciulli is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
J.C. Mullis
J.C. Mullis rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Bhavika
Bhavika marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Alison
Alison added it
Mar 14, 2016
Sjon Moore
Sjon Moore rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
  • Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope - And How to Find Them
  • Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas
  • Burnham's Celestial Handbook: An Observer's Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System, Volume 1: Andromeda Through Cetus
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • 365 Starry Nights: An Introduction to Astronomy for Every Night of the Year
  • Skywatching
  • Universe: A Journey from Earth to the Edge of the Cosmos
  • Universe: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky
  • Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL
  • Great Books of the Western World
  • Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • 50 Genetics Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Chaos and Fractals: New Frontiers of Science
  • Stars and Planets: The Most Complete Guide to the Stars, Planets, Galaxies, and the Solar System
  • Stars: A Guide to the Constellations, Sun, Moon, Planets, and Other Features of the Heavens
  • Physical Geology
Terence Dickinson is a prolific science writer specializing in astronomy. More than one million copies of his 14 books are in print in five languages. His best-known book, NightWatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe, is widely regarded as the essential guidebook for beginning stargazers. NightWatch, first published in 1983, now has over 600,000 copies in print, making it the top-selling ...more
More about Terence Dickinson...