Reaching for the Invisible God

Reaching for the Invisible God

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,450 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Author Philip Yancey asks the question How does a relationship with God work? and answers it with an investigation that turns up surprising and satisfying answers about life and communication with an invisible God.
Published September 1st 2000 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Reaching for the Invisible God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reaching for the Invisible God

Chris
I really loved this book. It discusses the difficulty we have in trying to understand and build a close relationship with the God we cannot see. The times when He feels elusive to us. The times when we need to just gut it out on our faith alone because we can't hear his voice or see his face. It normalized the struggle I feel to consistently feel God's influence in my life. I think it is excellently written.
Dave
The thing I really like about Yancey is that it seems like he asks the same questions I do in my own mind.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
If you sometimes feel like holding onto your faith seems impossible at times because the world just doesn't seem to show God's presence. If you feel that you are losing your hold on what you believe, this is a great book to read. It reaffirms your faith, not by chastisting you for your unbelief, but by showing you that you are not alone in your doubts. That other, even notable Christians, have struggled in the same way. I enjoyed the scholarly, yet emotional tone, and I feel it was well-written....more
Brent Soderstrum
Yancey does a good job tying up the points he brings out in the book at the end. He writes about how we all have our struggles in dealing with an invisible God based on the bad things that happen in this world to believers. He brings out the important point that God takes those bad things that happen to us and ironically uses them to bring about good things. I have experienced exactly that in my life. He also discusses how we grow spiritually from a child, to an adult and finally to a parent. If...more
Raymond
Jun 24, 2007 Raymond is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
I knew that God can't be reached the way I reach things or someone. But I don't really know how to "connect" to Him better. I always got fail to love and believe Him merely by reading Bible and Prayers.

But, after I read this book, I learned that God can only be reached within my soul, my heart and my faith. He is living inside me, He is not so far enough. He is with me. He want me to glorify His name by anything I did, I said and I thought.

Reach the invisible God is the high recommended book fo...more
Ben
What I like about Yancey I find true in all of his works... he does not hesitate to grapple with difficult issues, and be provocatively honest about the issues he takes up.

This book is long and sometimes hard to follow. That said, I "read" this book as an audiobook, so I only got 20-25 minute doses at a time, and this may have played a part in making it hard to follow.

Yancey basically deals with the issue of humans relating to God (the Christian God). What expectations should we have for such...more
amber
I’ve wanted to read Philip Yancey for a long time and picked up this book because a friend of mine was reading it and I love reading books alongside others. I wondered if I would find the book worth the time it would take to read (it’s lengthy for the Christian Living category) since I didn’t feel I identified with, at this point in my life, the questions put forth on the covers.

I must have been wrong in that assessment, however, as I found the book ministering to me on almost every page. I fel...more
Sean
I don't know why I keep reading books like this. I guess I'm hoping to find something new and compelling from the Christian perspective. This book offers nothing new, and it definitely doesn't offer anything compelling. This book is boring, annoyingly repetitive, and a complete waste of time.

In the beginning of the book, Yancey says, "To my shame, I admit that one of the strongest reasons I stay in the fold [Christianity] is the lack of good alternatives." He then goes on to stress throughout t...more
Sue
Philip Yancey is one of my favourite modern Christian authors; he writes honestly, without being over-religious or assuming that everyone is the same. He addresses the kinds of questions that Christians (and others) have about God. How is it that we can 'have a relationship' with Someone who is invisible and intangible? What does it mean to relate anyway? Can we really know God?

Peppered with anecdotes, this book is refreshing and insightful. It's not something to read all in one sitting: there's...more
Becki
Okay, first I have a very embarrassing confession to make: I have owned this book for over a decade (bought summer of 2001) and have never read it. This is part of my reason for my personal “read through the bookshelves” challenge. And in good news linked to that goal, I only have ONE (yes, that’s right, 1) booked checked out from the library currently. AND IT GETS BETTER…that book is my book club book for March. So after a year or so of playing around with me goal, I’m actually forcing myself t...more
Matthijs
Seldom have I read a book that I can relate to in such an extent as with this book by Philip Yancey. The vivid description of his struggles with doubt, scepticism and unbelief deeply connects with the same processes in my own life. It is comforting to read a book that comes close to my own experiences, but is written by someone who has survived, has grown further and, at the same time, is an example of how to live your life as a christian with those nagging feelings never completely gone.
The boo...more
Jason
This was a longer read where I had to spend time reflecting to get through it. Yancey asks interesting questions like:
"What can we expect of God?" since we are in relationship with him.
He explains how things have to be different with God than with people.

What are the stages of faith and what do they look like?

And many other reflections. Ultimately, it is a good book for those of us that continually worry about where we are in our faith and have to honestly ask some of the harder questions whe...more
Conrad
Philip Yancey never fails to satisfy his readers. He doesn't take a simplistic or formulaic approach or write just to get another book out there (as it seems so many are inclined to do). Rather, his books are thoughtful and provocative - and not necessarily filling in the blanks for the reader. This book begins with doubt and unbelief and moves to faith using many examples and quoting many writers (I always enjoy his quotes since they lead me to other writers I haven't read). I think this may be...more
Karen
This may be one of the most significant books of my life. It is beyond amazing! Great examples and analogies from Yancey's life, spiritual leaders, everyday folks, and the Bible. Beautiful quotes, well- reaserched. It has helped fine-tune my perception of God. It has helped clear up some of my doubts and questions with His grace and compassion. - And it has helped helped me to embrace and rest in other questions that may never be answered. Here we go! I am starting from the beginning and going f...more
drowningmermaid
Nov 05, 2011 drowningmermaid marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith-search
How can the author (and the devoted readers) fail to see the utter, glaring fallacy of saying "I'm a worm. Everything good in me comes from God, everything bad in me comes from myself." AND "I want to be more myself."?

God shining through you does not make you more yourself. God is God. You are you. Individual self-worth does not come from God, it comes from being a unique human individual.
Necholas
Saya menyelesaikan buku ini karena saya ingin hadiahkan untuk seorang teman yang sedang bergumul dengan penyakit. Awalnya saya ingin memberinya buku Philip Yancey yang lain, Where's God When Life Hurts? Tapi rupanya buku tersebut sudah tidak ada di pasaran. Beberapa toko buku mengaku tidak punya. Toko online yang saya sambangi juga tidak punya buku tersebut. Akhirnya saya pilih buku ini saja.

Untuk memastikan bahwa buku ini pas dengan kebutuhan teman saya, saya harus baca dulu. Isinya memang tid...more
Keri Daskam
Some moments of this book I really liked and some I really loved. It was a really good one for me and reminded me of several other favorites I've read. Many of his big points rang true, and I also really liked his writing style and the flow of the book.

It came highly recommended on all accounts, and I would recommend it highly as well.
Jennifer Zartman
I appreciate Philip Yancey's honesty and the way he approaches subjects from different points of view. He challenges me to think and to face uncomfortable questions. American culture today vehemently declares God's nonexistence and discourages honest and thoughtful exploration of Christianity. Yancy says, "In my case, doubt has prompted me to question many things that need questioning and also to investigate alternatives to faith, none of which measure up. I remain a Christian today due to my do...more
Kait
I really enjoyed this book in the sense of it gave me a lot to think about. I have to say that reading a chapter a week was not condusive to actually getting "into" the pulp of the matter, and I found it interrupted the flow. I will definitely read this book again, in a front-to-back manner.
Deanna
What haven't I learned from Philip Yancey? He asserts the struggle of relating to an invisible God, yet doesn't deny God as good or sovereign or holy, etc. He relates stories that push me to examine myself and to seek Jesus.
Scott
I really can't remember what I got out of this. Not that I had to get anything out of it. But I think this book reinforced a lot of things I already knew and changed my thinking a bit. I may have to go back and read it again...
Nermine Hosni
احياناً أتعامل مع الله كمادة مخدرة احتاج اليه لتهدئة قسوة موقف معين او للتخلص منه

درجة اخري من درجات الاحساس بحضور الله هي الاحساس بأنك لست وحدك

ان الايمان يظهر حيث تقل وتضعف التوقعات

ان تجرب الله يعني ان تحاول الحصول علي تأكيدات اكثر مما اعطاها الله

هناك لحظة في كل يوم لا يستطيع الشيطان ان يجدها

يُختبر الايمان عندما يفتر احساسنا بوجود الله

الهاً لطيفاً يحب من يحتقرهم العالم ويتفهم ضعفاتنا وتجاربنا ومعانتنا

هل ظلام وجفاف صلاتي علامة لغياب الله ام انها علامة لحضور عميق ومتسع لا استطيع ادراكه وهل م...more
Sam Kang
God is like a person playing hide & seek and at the last minute clears his throat.
Pat
Good book to read if you are having doubts about your faith.
Lila
Excellent. His writing is so fluid, clear and honest.
Sneha
great for the doubting and disillusioned. like me.
Samuel
Great book to help u think abt even more things
Amy Young
Oh to be able to write like Yancey!
Troy
Very good book; really helped me process many things. The first of Yancey's books I've read, and I definitely want to read more now. I've always heard good things, and this book did deliver. He's a journalistic writer, and that sort of sets the tone of the book. Journalistic devotional literature, I'd call it.

I love how frank and forthcoming and honest he is. Just the sort of thing I was needing, in that regard.

I love the quotes he provides and the sources of them, though there are many. That wo...more
Adilson
Philip Yancey é um dos meus autores prediletos. Aprecio seu estilo franco e questionador. Principalmente, admiro o seu esforço para explorar e responder questões polêmicas que envolvem a fé cristã e que são normalmente evitadas por alguns líderes religiosos que preferem dar respostas insatisfatórias ou sair pela tangente.
Neste livro Yancey aborda a questão do relacionamento com Deus, e escreve para aqueles que gradualmente perdem a fé e descrevem esse relacionamento como 'problemático' e constan...more
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
  • Loving God
  • The Magnificent Defeat
  • Renovation of the Heart
  • Moses Great Lives Series: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?
  • No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross
  • Your God is Too Safe
  • A Glimpse of Jesus: The Stranger to Self-Hatred
  • When God Weeps: Why Our Sufferings Matter to the Almighty
  • He Loves Me!: Learning to Live in the Father's Affection
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Philip Yancey earned graduate degrees in Communications and English from Wheaton College Graduate School and the University of Chicago. He joined the staff of Campus Life Magazine in 1971, and worked there as Editor and then Publisher. He looks on those years with gratitude, because teenagers are demanding readers, and writing for them taught him a lasting principle:...more
More about Philip Yancey...
What's So Amazing about Grace? The Jesus I Never Knew Where Is God When It Hurts? Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? Disappointment with God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud