Start by marking “Lili at Ballet” as Want to Read:
Lili at Ballet

Lili at Ballet

With minimal explanatory text, a realistic depiction of a serious young ballet student and her class. Isadora . . . deftly sketches the young dancers in delicate pencil lines and splashes of watercolor. . . .--Kirkus Reviews.
Published March 24th 1993 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Lili at Ballet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lili at Ballet

Kathryn
Mar 20, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: budding ballet dancers of both genders
The lovely watercolor art is what really makes this book stand out for me; it's soft and gentle and beautiful, evoking the feel of ballet! There really isn't much story/character here, it's more of a descriptive book about all the things Lili experiences at ballet class and her aspirations to be a professional ballerina--so there are pages with pointe shoes, tu-tus, leotards... showing different positions of ballet moves... illustrating different roles in classic ballets (i.e., the dying swan in ...more
Kami Adams
Dec 05, 2016 Kami Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a PERFECT non fiction books for the little girls who aren't interested in animals, bugs or the outdoors. This book gives you a good look into the life of a (young) ballerina.

Rachel Isadora was a ballerina in her day and now has a daughter who has now taken up the art she has always loved. This book takes you to Lili's ballet classes that she attends four times a week and gives you a peek into positions and outfits of ballet. It gives you great facts about the art or "sport" of ballet. V
Jennie
A mom told me she was worried her daughter wouldn't like this one much because it looks a bit dated, but they found it lovely and her daughter enthusiastically loved it.
Erin
Lili at Ballet introduces readers to ballet through Lili, a young dancer who dreams of becoming a ballerina some day. The story gives various detailed descriptions to introduce readers to the world of a young ballet student, from what the students wear, to basic positions and steps, and more. The illustrations are done in soft watercolors and depict the beauty and grace of the dancers and their world perfectly. Many of the illustrations are paired with delicate hand-lettered names and descriptio ...more
Molly
Aug 12, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are so beautiful in this book. I really enjoyed the combination of the story and the amount of technical information about ballet. Reading it outloud to a 5yr old I realized how much I don't know about ballet and how I really cannot pronounce French words. But, that didn't matter. It's a very cute book
People who enjoy books about ballet might like this story more than I did. The pictures were nice and the text was okay, but I was a little bored while reading. I'd steer clear unless you were a fan of ballet picture books.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Katherine Cowley
This book has a fictional character--Lili--and it's shelved as a fiction picture book, yet in many ways it reads as non-fiction. It provides a ton of information for kids about ballet, the positions, the supplies and outfits, what a ballet lesson looks like, etc. It's a good book for kids interested in ballet.
Andrea Bailey
Apr 22, 2009 Andrea Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The 1st book we ever had to check out from the library so many times that we finally just bought it... When she was 3 my daughter spent hours and hours pointing to pictures then trying to copy them. I think this is when she discovered what seems to have become a lifelong passion. It is now the first of dozens of dance related books we have and still a beloved favorite.
Jenne
Sep 14, 2013 Jenne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lili at Ballet has become the favorite introduction to ballet book for my 4 year old aspiring ballerina. The simple text with just the right amount of information, the balance of ballerinas and dansuers, and soft illustrations made it interesting and accessible to both my daughter and 6 year old son.
Dolly
Oct 03, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Though this is a story about a little girl who dances ballet, it's as much a primer on the basics of ballet. The illustrations are delicate and detailed. Our girls enjoyed this story and love to demonstrate the various positions.
Taryn
Mar 10, 2013 Taryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, storybook
Juni (4yo) loves her ballet classes so I was right about her liking this book. But it has an unoriginal "plot" and isn't well organized. The illustrations were pretty good with ballet poses, though.
Alyssa
Jun 26, 2010 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this when I was obsessed with ballet! A great book on all the positions, shoes, and moves for every girl :) I want to look at it again sometime as the pics in it were awesome!
aubrey
ava loved this book about ballet. it details everything from what a ballerina/o wears to the positions to the differnet characters in popular ballets.
Sylwia
Sylwia rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2010
Samantha Wray
Samantha Wray rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2009
Brittany Seyb
Brittany Seyb rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2013
Sarah N
Sarah N rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Isabella
Isabella rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Alisa
Alisa rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Jasmine Harris
Jasmine Harris rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Tiffany Rachann
Tiffany Rachann rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
Elina
Elina rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2014
Adeline Miller
Adeline Miller rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2017
Aena
Aena rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Rachel Isadora is an award-winning children's author and illustrator. She has written children's books on multiple topics including ballet, life in America and Africa, and has illustrated several Brother Grimm tales in an African setting. She is most well-known for her Caldecott Honor Award book "Ben's Trumpet". She was a ballet dancer before she became an illustrator and children's writer.
More about Rachel Isadora...