Start by marking “The Wishing Garden” as Want to Read:
The Wishing Garden

The Wishing Garden (The Garden #1)

Published May 1st 2012 by Covenant Communications Inc (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wishing Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wishing Garden

Oct 19, 2012 Missy rated it it was ok
I haven't ever read any Anita stands field books but picked this one up on a whim at the library. I had heard that they were cheesy and unrealistic and I found this to be true. The base story was okay but the conversations between characters was just so fake and far fetched that it was hard to believe. It did hold my attention long enough to finish the book and I thought that the ending was way to rushed and abrupt. She even left the details of what happened to one character completely unfinishe ...more
Elaine Dransfield
Apr 23, 2015 Elaine Dransfield rated it it was ok
I've never read an Anita Stansfield book, probably won't read another. This book struggled so hard for a story it was difficult to turn another page. The likelihood of these two coming together in a relationship is very unlikely. If they were both considered as plotting a death they would both be arrested, but only one person was charged and tried. And the only "evidence" was his fingerprints on a gun and a past history of gang violence...not enough evidence for any form of proof. She was not to ...more
May 25, 2012 Apzmarshl rated it really liked it
Feeling absurdly generous I decided to go with 4 stars. At times I was able to forget I was reading Anita Stansfield! The dialog was plausible, the leading man had a job, emotional issues weren't beaten like a dead horse.

Mary finds herself living at home with her bigot father after a tragedy takes the life of her husband and one of her adopted twin Latina daughters. She hires Whit to restore her deceased mother's large garden. Whit is a former Mexican gang member and felon turned LDS missionary
May 14, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
This story progressed so slowly it was hard to keep muddling through it. I did really like the characters and even the premise, but it took FOREVER to get anywhere. Thankfully, there was a lot more dialogue in this book than in the last few of her works so it did feel a little more alive, that's something. I didn't love that she tried to fit all of the closure into the last 1 1/2 pages of the book. It left me feeling kind of confused. The story took a long time to progress and then the ending fe ...more
May 21, 2015 Ranee rated it liked it
I liked most of the characters but the dialogue is definitely cheesy & the ending kind of thrown together.
Brikenna Sheppick
Feb 18, 2015 Brikenna Sheppick rated it it was amazing
This is my first Anita Stansfield books and oh my goodness that ending though!!
Dorry Lou
Sep 27, 2013 Dorry Lou rated it liked it
This was a story about Mary whose father was racist among other things.
Mary had married and had 2 daughters. An auto accident took the lives of her husband and 1 daughter forcing Mary to come back home to live. Her father who was bedridden still made her life pretty miserable She was able to hire a gardener to repair what once was a beautiful garden of her mothers. Whit the gardener was Mexican so Mary had to keep him a secret from her father. The story which was slow at times did have some good
Mary is forced to move in with her mean, bigoted father when her husband and daughter are killed. While living there, she decides to hire a gardener to make the garden look like it did when her mother was alive. She ends up hiring Whit Eden and a romantic spark is lit. I only give it 2 stars because I felt the writing was flat and the book just abruptly ends. The plot was moving along, and then it was tied up quickly in the end. Knowing Anita Stansfield it is the first in a series, but I did not ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
Sep 14, 2013 Michelle Llewellyn rated it it was ok
Yes, only two stars, another yawn for Anita Stansfield. On the other hand, I just got off the horror ride that is Fifty Shades of (Freakin') Grey so I have to admit this kind of slow paced writing is VERY refreshing! I could sleep while reading this and not miss anything.
Just another Anita Stansfield formula where basic plot is set up and nothing even remotely interesting happens...oh, Whit/wait! Who ended up killing the Mr. Burns character? Never mind, I don't even care. It'll probably be burie
Apr 13, 2014 Carla rated it liked it
Nice vacation quick read.
Sep 16, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
I liked this book. Anita Stansfield is a very good writer. This is the story of a woman and her adopted daughter who had to move in with her abusive father after the woman's husband and other daughter die in a car accident. The woman hires a Hispanic gardner to restore her mother's garden after years of neglect. They fall in love. The gardner has a criminal past. This is a good story.

I just read this book again. It is very good.
Oct 07, 2012 Kc7nan rated it liked it
I'm not sure why I keep reading these books. I keep hoping for some of the spark I would enjoy in her older series. The last few years Anita's books have become so formulaic. If you want a light read then it is ok, the characters were fairly different in their background from her usual but could still be flushed out more.
Angela Hunter
Jun 04, 2013 Angela Hunter rated it really liked it
I loved the characters in the book. Usually Anita's books feel more plot driven, but this was a refreshing change. The main characters Mary and Whitt both end up being caretakers for their parents. The contrast of service and being true to who you are while giving that service is challenging.
Diane Mueller
Nov 05, 2013 Diane Mueller rated it it was ok
I like to be fair to a book and once I start it I rarely stop it. I did make it all the way through the book but it was painful. This book could have been 1/3 shorter and contained the whole story. The words after most commas were redundant. Not an author I would choose to read again.
May 24, 2012 Jaime rated it liked it
I liked this book, but it ended very abruptly without tying up several story lines. That's one downside to reading on an e-reader, the end can just sneak up on you. It really needed an epilogue or something. I can only assume this means there will be a sequel.
Jul 12, 2012 Terrie rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this book as much as prior books by this author. I did not like that the daughter was keeping secrets from her father(basically lying)because of his racism. The book basically dealt with two issues--racism and age differences between spouses.
Jan 10, 2013 Misty rated it it was ok
I don't know if I've read too many of her books or if she's getting lazy but this was not good. Slow, distant, vague. Her earlier books are infinitely better. Read the back, tack on "and they all lived happily ever after" and save yourself a few hours.
Jun 12, 2012 Sheri rated it it was ok
Just an okay read for me. The emotional drama of the book drug on forever and was too redundant. When the climax of the story finally arrived, the story ended rather abruptly. An epilogue would have maybe made it a 3 star book.
Nov 06, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
This was a slow read dealing with racism between an aged father and his daughter who adopted Hispanic twins as well has a romance with an age difference. It was predictable with an abrupt ending.
May 13, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, romance
I felt like the story was slow to develop, but a good read. Then it ended with very little closure. I wanted an epilogue to answer all my questions....maybe I will write one!
Nov 12, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it
I was kind of surprised by this book. I usually love Anita Stansfield but I didn't love this one. But I didn't hate it.
Aug 12, 2012 Laurie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bethany
I appreciated some of the themes Anita portrayed in the book and I can tell there is going to be more and I am thrilled
Heidi Rothert
Dec 31, 2012 Heidi Rothert rated it liked it
Good but not one of my favorites of hers. I thought the characters were a little out there this time.
Sep 03, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: church, romance, adult
It was a slow read. I did like having a different culture and difficulties than from previous books.
Brittney Buist
Feb 17, 2013 Brittney Buist rated it it was ok
I was a bit others said, very repetitive beginning and not much closure in the end.
May 12, 2012 Cheri rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Have to say I am not a fan of Anita Stansfield. So I couldn't give it more then two stars.
Sep 02, 2012 Margaret rated it it was ok
It's more 2.5. The ending was rushed and it's obvious that there is going to be a sequel.
May 13, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, covenant
I liked the concept of the story line but the repetitious writing style was distracting.
Sep 05, 2013 Lisa rated it did not like it
This book seemed too depressing (maybe it's me). I didn't read much of it.
May 11, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
I liked the book. But, I love hopeless romances as long as they are clean.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Christmas to Remember: A Collection of Heartwarming True Christmas Stories
  • A Forever Love (Unexpected Love, #3)
  • To Love and to Promise
  • Coming Home (Home Trilogy, #3)
  • At the Journey's End
  • Famous Family Nights
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)
  • Punch and Cookies Forever: And Other Stories for LDS Youth
  • First Comes Love
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues
More about Anita Stansfield...

The Garden (2 books)