Start by marking “The Wishing Garden” as Want to Read:
The Wishing Garden

The Wishing Garden (The Garden #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Published May 1st 2012 by Covenant Communications Inc (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wishing Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wishing Garden

Missy
I haven't ever read any Anita stands field books but picked this one up on a whim at the library. I had heard that they were cheesy and unrealistic and I found this to be true. The base story was okay but the conversations between characters was just so fake and far fetched that it was hard to believe. It did hold my attention long enough to finish the book and I thought that the ending was way to rushed and abrupt. She even left the details of what happened to one character completely unfinishe ...more
Apzmarshl
Feeling absurdly generous I decided to go with 4 stars. At times I was able to forget I was reading Anita Stansfield! The dialog was plausible, the leading man had a job, emotional issues weren't beaten like a dead horse.

Mary finds herself living at home with her bigot father after a tragedy takes the life of her husband and one of her adopted twin Latina daughters. She hires Whit to restore her deceased mother's large garden. Whit is a former Mexican gang member and felon turned LDS missionary
Melissa
This story progressed so slowly it was hard to keep muddling through it. I did really like the characters and even the premise, but it took FOREVER to get anywhere. Thankfully, there was a lot more dialogue in this book than in the last few of her works so it did feel a little more alive, that's something. I didn't love that she tried to fit all of the closure into the last 1 1/2 pages of the book. It left me feeling kind of confused. The story took a long time to progress and then the ending fe ...more
Brikenna Sheppick
This is my first Anita Stansfield books and oh my goodness that ending though!!
Dorry Lou
This was a story about Mary whose father was racist among other things.
Mary had married and had 2 daughters. An auto accident took the lives of her husband and 1 daughter forcing Mary to come back home to live. Her father who was bedridden still made her life pretty miserable She was able to hire a gardener to repair what once was a beautiful garden of her mothers. Whit the gardener was Mexican so Mary had to keep him a secret from her father. The story which was slow at times did have some good
Amy
Mary is forced to move in with her mean, bigoted father when her husband and daughter are killed. While living there, she decides to hire a gardener to make the garden look like it did when her mother was alive. She ends up hiring Whit Eden and a romantic spark is lit. I only give it 2 stars because I felt the writing was flat and the book just abruptly ends. The plot was moving along, and then it was tied up quickly in the end. Knowing Anita Stansfield it is the first in a series, but I did not ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
Yes, only two stars, another yawn for Anita Stansfield. On the other hand, I just got off the horror ride that is Fifty Shades of (Freakin') Grey so I have to admit this kind of slow paced writing is VERY refreshing! I could sleep while reading this and not miss anything.
Just another Anita Stansfield formula where basic plot is set up and nothing even remotely interesting happens...oh, Whit/wait! Who ended up killing the Mr. Burns character? Never mind, I don't even care. It'll probably be burie
Carla
Nice vacation quick read.
Debbie
I liked this book. Anita Stansfield is a very good writer. This is the story of a woman and her adopted daughter who had to move in with her abusive father after the woman's husband and other daughter die in a car accident. The woman hires a Hispanic gardner to restore her mother's garden after years of neglect. They fall in love. The gardner has a criminal past. This is a good story.

I just read this book again. It is very good.
Kc7nan
I'm not sure why I keep reading these books. I keep hoping for some of the spark I would enjoy in her older series. The last few years Anita's books have become so formulaic. If you want a light read then it is ok, the characters were fairly different in their background from her usual but could still be flushed out more.
Angela Hunter
I loved the characters in the book. Usually Anita's books feel more plot driven, but this was a refreshing change. The main characters Mary and Whitt both end up being caretakers for their parents. The contrast of service and being true to who you are while giving that service is challenging.
Diane Mueller
I like to be fair to a book and once I start it I rarely stop it. I did make it all the way through the book but it was painful. This book could have been 1/3 shorter and contained the whole story. The words after most commas were redundant. Not an author I would choose to read again.
Jaime
I liked this book, but it ended very abruptly without tying up several story lines. That's one downside to reading on an e-reader, the end can just sneak up on you. It really needed an epilogue or something. I can only assume this means there will be a sequel.
Terrie
I didn't enjoy this book as much as prior books by this author. I did not like that the daughter was keeping secrets from her father(basically lying)because of his racism. The book basically dealt with two issues--racism and age differences between spouses.
Misty
I don't know if I've read too many of her books or if she's getting lazy but this was not good. Slow, distant, vague. Her earlier books are infinitely better. Read the back, tack on "and they all lived happily ever after" and save yourself a few hours.
Sheri
Just an okay read for me. The emotional drama of the book drug on forever and was too redundant. When the climax of the story finally arrived, the story ended rather abruptly. An epilogue would have maybe made it a 3 star book.
Julie
This was a slow read dealing with racism between an aged father and his daughter who adopted Hispanic twins as well has a romance with an age difference. It was predictable with an abrupt ending.
I felt like the story was slow to develop, but a good read. Then it ended with very little closure. I wanted an epilogue to answer all my questions....maybe I will write one!
Carolyn
I was kind of surprised by this book. I usually love Anita Stansfield but I didn't love this one. But I didn't hate it.
Laurie
Aug 12, 2012 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bethany
I appreciated some of the themes Anita portrayed in the book and I can tell there is going to be more and I am thrilled
Heidi Rothert
Good but not one of my favorites of hers. I thought the characters were a little out there this time.
Amber
It was a slow read. I did like having a different culture and difficulties than from previous books.
Brittney Buist
I was a bit disappointed...like others said, very repetitive beginning and not much closure in the end.
Cheri
Have to say I am not a fan of Anita Stansfield. So I couldn't give it more then two stars.
Margaret
It's more 2.5. The ending was rushed and it's obvious that there is going to be a sequel.
Becky
I liked the concept of the story line but the repetitious writing style was distracting.
Lisa
This book seemed too depressing (maybe it's me). I didn't read much of it.
Deb
I liked the book. But, I love hopeless romances as long as they are clean.
Lisa
Typical Anita Stansfield novel. Light easy entertaining read.
Ellen Kyles
Excellent story with tragic beginning and beautiful resolution.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • To Love and to Promise
  • A Christmas to Remember: A Collection of Heartwarming True Christmas Stories
  • At the Journey's End
  • An Enduring Love
  • Coming Home (Home Trilogy, #3)
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • Above Suspicion (Haggerty Mystery, #3)
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues
More about Anita Stansfield...

The Garden (2 books)
  • The Garden Path
The Gable Faces East (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #1) First Love and Forever (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #4) First Love, Second Chances (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #5) Gables Against the Sky (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #2) Towers of Brierley