Start by marking “The Merriam Webster Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Merriam Webster Dictionary

The Merriam Webster Dictionary

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A handy, reliable, and authoritative dictionary of the words most frequently used in English.
- More than 65,000 definitions
- Over 150 illustrations
- Includes a Handbook of Style and quick-reference data tables
Published January 1st 1998 by Merriam-Webster (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Merriam Webster Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Merriam Webster Dictionary

Marvin
Tried reading it from cover and cover. Couldn't do it. The plot kept changing.
Rob B
--"I bought a dictionary. First thing I did was, I looked up the word "dictionary", and it said "you're an asshole".

-- "I was in a store and I saw a pocket dictionary and that made me laugh because it's such... a specific item. I don't know that many words and I'm going out... and I have pants. Perfect!"

--Demetri Martin
Nicole
Best book I've ever read! 26 chapters of excellence!
Chris Scherer
(2004). The merriam webster dictionary. Springfield, Mass.: Merriam-Webster Inc.

Citation by: Chris Scherer

Call number: Ref 423

Content/Scope: A dictionary targeted at high school age students and up. It contains over 2,000 new words and is based on the Merrriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. It can be used for defining words, pronunciation, and part of speech.

Accuracy/Authority: Merriam-Webster is the leader in defining words. They have been publishing dictionaries since 1831.

Arrangement/Presen
DoylCkeyn ~
This book has a boring plot, dull story and a weird purpose. Weird. But anyways, the narrator has a really good vocabulary, and it kinda makes him a genius. This book is good for pressing leaves dry.
Everett
Jul 23, 2007 Everett is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
What a moving and powerful work. Although Webster's extensive vocabulary and Finnegan's Wake-esque narrative style at times make his work a challenge to digest, this book is worth the effort.
Henri
The storyline was terrible but I found that the vocabulary was very good. It was very suspenseful, though a little long.
Steve Bolduc
An amazing tool for the English learners.
Brian
Just read this. All the other books are in it.
Vivian Probst
I am a linguist by education. I love words. I also believe they contain extraordinary energy so I study them in a variety of ways to understand their full impact. No place better than Merriam-Webster's to do this. Like the word 'hedonistic'. We use that so negatively. Why? I looked it up and, well, call me a hedonist of the highest order. Pleasure in life? YOU Bet!
Chris M.
Oct 03, 2007 Chris M. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like English words or just want to know what they mean
Okay...I am being kind of a goof. But family legend has it that this was one of my favorite books as a toddler. No kidding. No, not this paticular Merriam-Webster editi on. Unfortunately, the exact edition was not included as part of the oral history. I do remember that it was big--to a toddler anyway--and had a brown cover with gold letters. It also had those little finger notches. It smelled like...well...like a book. And when thumped, made that satisfying booky kind of sound. A solid "thunk" ...more
Christina-Rose
I once said I was going to read this... might as well make it official!
Tyler
You stuped Americuns! you and your infereor langage. you make uh me sick! i wanna thrown up on all of you and than some. I even give it a shoot to red this book of lise and i saw how disgust you realy can be!! you are filthey americuns and you are PIGS! You uh SUCK! I LOOK UPENGLISH IN DICTIONARY AND IT HAV PICTURE OF MY REALY OLD AND SMELY STEP MUM. take that YOU america. you... are... so sad... countree run by filthey aminals!!!! I HATED YO)U. suimple as THAT GOOD BUY
David
Okay, so I have to admit... I haven't read the entire thing. But I'm slowly working my way through it. Really, the best part about it is the vocabulary of the author. Damn, that guy Webster sure knows how to pack in a TON of different words.
Christopher
Though I appreciate the authors' attention to detail, I found the writing style to be very rigid and linear. I started to uncover the plot about halfway through the book, though must admit I really had to dig for it.
DW
Picked up another today at the Emerson College Barnes & Noble. This is my third copy of this exact volume/edition. The binding can't keep up with me, lol. I'll try to be less vigorous with this one :p
David
I have the mobile application version and I think its great. No idea what the isbn is but it works offline, detail is good as are the cross references.
Peter
How do you review a dictionary? It has words in it, and after each one it has a definition. Nice job.
Jeff
Jan 03, 2009 Jeff is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recently looked up words: democracy, communism, leap year, apartheid, righteousness, art and sin.
Eric Bove
There were so many words in here that I had to look up. It was ridiculous.
Mary
what can i say, sometimes this is a must just to get through certian books!
John Yelverton
A must have for any and every student of the English language.
Jenna
I read it in Library... does that count??
Johnathan Peterson
boring but only read for bording reasons
Spider
BEST DICTIONARY EVER.
Woolery
Woolery marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Jacqueline Joseph
Jacqueline Joseph marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Did you know that dictionarys have chapters? 2 4 Nov 07, 2011 12:49PM
  • Webster's New World Thesaurus
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • The American Heritage College Dictionary
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • Roget's College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form, The New American: Revised and Enlarged Edition
  • The University of Chicago Spanish - English English - Spanish Dictionary
  • Mac OS X: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update with CD
  • Concise Oxford English Dictionary with CDROM
  • The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse: An All-Natural, At-Home Flush to Purify and Rejuvenate Your Body
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft
  • The Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms
  • Writing the Natural Way
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature