Start by marking “The Merriam Webster Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Merriam Webster Dictionary

The Merriam Webster Dictionary

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A handy, reliable, and authoritative dictionary of the words most frequently used in English.
- More than 65,000 definitions
- Over 150 illustrations
- Includes a Handbook of Style and quick-reference data tables
Published January 1st 1998 by Merriam-Webster (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Merriam Webster Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Merriam Webster Dictionary

Marvin
Tried reading it from cover and cover. Couldn't do it. The plot kept changing.
Rob B
--"I bought a dictionary. First thing I did was, I looked up the word "dictionary", and it said "you're an asshole".

-- "I was in a store and I saw a pocket dictionary and that made me laugh because it's such... a specific item. I don't know that many words and I'm going out... and I have pants. Perfect!"

--Demetri Martin
Nicole
Best book I've ever read! 26 chapters of excellence!
DoylCkeyn ~
This book has a boring plot, dull story and a weird purpose. Weird. But anyways, the narrator has a really good vocabulary, and it kinda makes him a genius. This book is good for pressing leaves dry.
Everett
Jul 23, 2007 Everett is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
What a moving and powerful work. Although Webster's extensive vocabulary and Finnegan's Wake-esque narrative style at times make his work a challenge to digest, this book is worth the effort.
Henri
The storyline was terrible but I found that the vocabulary was very good. It was very suspenseful, though a little long.
Steve Bolduc
An amazing tool for the English learners.
Brian
Just read this. All the other books are in it.
Chris M.
Oct 03, 2007 Chris M. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like English words or just want to know what they mean
Okay...I am being kind of a goof. But family legend has it that this was one of my favorite books as a toddler. No kidding. No, not this paticular Merriam-Webster editi on. Unfortunately, the exact edition was not included as part of the oral history. I do remember that it was big--to a toddler anyway--and had a brown cover with gold letters. It also had those little finger notches. It smelled like...well...like a book. And when thumped, made that satisfying booky kind of sound. A solid "thunk" ...more
Christina-Rose
I once said I was going to read this... might as well make it official!
Tyler
You stuped Americuns! you and your infereor langage. you make uh me sick! i wanna thrown up on all of you and than some. I even give it a shoot to red this book of lise and i saw how disgust you realy can be!! you are filthey americuns and you are PIGS! You uh SUCK! I LOOK UPENGLISH IN DICTIONARY AND IT HAV PICTURE OF MY REALY OLD AND SMELY STEP MUM. take that YOU america. you... are... so sad... countree run by filthey aminals!!!! I HATED YO)U. suimple as THAT GOOD BUY
David
Okay, so I have to admit... I haven't read the entire thing. But I'm slowly working my way through it. Really, the best part about it is the vocabulary of the author. Damn, that guy Webster sure knows how to pack in a TON of different words.
Christopher
Though I appreciate the authors' attention to detail, I found the writing style to be very rigid and linear. I started to uncover the plot about halfway through the book, though must admit I really had to dig for it.
DW
Picked up another today at the Emerson College Barnes & Noble. This is my third copy of this exact volume/edition. The binding can't keep up with me, lol. I'll try to be less vigorous with this one :p
David
I have the mobile application version and I think its great. No idea what the isbn is but it works offline, detail is good as are the cross references.
Peter
How do you review a dictionary? It has words in it, and after each one it has a definition. Nice job.
Jeff
Jan 03, 2009 Jeff is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recently looked up words: democracy, communism, leap year, apartheid, righteousness, art and sin.
Eric Bove
There were so many words in here that I had to look up. It was ridiculous.
Mary
what can i say, sometimes this is a must just to get through certian books!
John Yelverton
A must have for any and every student of the English language.
Jenna
I read it in Library... does that count??
Johnathan Peterson
boring but only read for bording reasons
Spider
BEST DICTIONARY EVER.
Jessica Koo
Jessica Koo is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Did you know that dictionarys have chapters? 2 4 Nov 07, 2011 12:49PM
  • Webster's New World Thesaurus
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • The American Heritage College Dictionary
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • Mac OS X: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual
  • The University of Chicago Spanish - English English - Spanish Dictionary
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • The Associated Press Stylebook: and Briefing on Media Law, Fully Revised and Updated [2004]
  • Writing the Natural Way
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update with CD
  • Selected Essays, Lectures, and Poems
  • Auras
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • Grammatically Correct
  • The Multi-Orgasmic Couple: Sexual Secrets Every Couple Should Know
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary