Start by marking “Adele: The Biography” as Want to Read:
Adele: The Biography

Adele: The Biography

How has her tempestuous life that influenced her heartbreaking tracks? How did she overcome the challenges that threatened to derail her career?

In Adele, veteran celebrity biographer Chas Newkey-Burden traces her story from her childhood in London, where she began singing at the age of four. During her teenage years she wrote her own music and attended the BRIT school, alo
Published November 6th 2012 by The Overlook Press (first published October 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Adele, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adele

Rachael
Feb 02, 2016 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good and I learned a lot of new facts about Adele. At times it could get boring but that was the only flaw in the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Adele or music in general.
bibliophoenix
Apr 15, 2012 bibliophoenix rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This would probably have been more interesting to me had I not been such a big fan and read up on her life in other ways. Chas Newkey-Burden goes in depth into this star's childhood, adolescence and current success. I was aware of Adele's close relationship with her mother but found it an interesting read when Newkey-Burden discussed her father and other relations who have had an impact on her in one way or another, whether it be small or big.
I was not aware of the BRIT school and enjoyed findin
Lauren Camella
Feb 19, 2012 Lauren Camella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!! If you want to read a good, well written book about Adele, then this is the book to read! This biography talks about Adele and her childhood to where she is now! Adele is making great history, and if you are a huge fan lie me, you will definitely like it!!!
Lily I
Feb 07, 2013 Lily I rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great BOOK!!! I loved how he really explained every detail and HOW he put the information into the different chapters.
Nathaly
Jun 14, 2016 Nathaly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knihu vrelo odporúčam! Nie je viac čo dodať. Je to veľmi kvalitná biografia, a čo je podstatné – zaujme vás. Našla som tam všetko, čo som tam nájsť potrebovala.
Sandra
Dec 13, 2016 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Adele is my favourite artist. Her songs are amazing and she seems to be a wonderful person. So I couldn't wait to get my hands on this biography.

However, it turned out to be one big disappointment. I hated the writing style, although that might also be due to the way it was translated (I read a Dutch edition). There were several grammatically incorrect sentences and a lot of quotes from interviews seemed to be just copy-pasted after each other. Also, a lot of elements were repeated throughout th
Ian Hallam
Nov 13, 2016 Ian Hallam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Maybe it is because Adele is still quite young that the book had no real substance to it.
Nothing of her life before her father left and very little of substance afterwards, briefly skimming over her start at the brit school and spending more time analysing each of the songs from her first and second albums tahn anything about her actual life.
Mia Sebti
The book “Adele” is a biography written by Chas Newkey-Burden. Adele Laurie Blue Adkins was born on May 5th, 1988 in London, England. Her father, Mark Evans left her family when she was just four years old with her 18-year-old mother, Penny Adkins. Growing up, Adele’s family did not know much about music, she would go to the music store every day after school and admire the vinyls. Adele attended the performing arts BRIT school where she once submitted an album for a project. She later posted th ...more
Hanka
Sep 27, 2016 Hanka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Všechny nás okouzlila. Mladá dívka s vyčesanými vlasy, silným londýnským přízvukem a ostrým slovníkem. Na jevišti stává sama, jen s klavírem a stojanem na mikrofon. Ostré světlo míří jen na ni, stoji u mikrofonu a zpívá. Zpívá tak, že žádné další rekvizity nejsou potřeba. Jak sama řekla, zpívá pro uši ne pro oči. Sedmadvacet let, tři desky, několik zdolaných rekordů v prodeji i hitparádách. Její úspěchy a charisma jsou důvody k tomu, aby i o takto mladé ženě, vznikla biografická kniha, která v Č ...more
Brina
May 16, 2012 Brina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adele - eine britische Sängerin, die man spätestens im Jahr 2011 nicht mehr überhören konnte. Nach "19" hat sie mit ihrem zweiten Studioalbum "21" sämtliche Rekorde gebrochen und ist endgültig zum Weltstar aufgestiegen. In ihrer Biografie wird ausführlich auf ihre Kindheit und ihre Karriere eingegangen, die zum Glück noch lange nicht vorbei ist.

Da ich ein großer Fan von Adele bin und ich sie in Interviews immer wahnsinnig sympathisch fand, war es für mich ein absolutes Muss, dieses Buch zu lesen
Jack Oughton
Dec 22, 2016 Jack Oughton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't much like Adele's music but as this book reveals she is very likeable on a personal level.
Vivian Choi
Oct 19, 2013 Vivian Choi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
If you thought you liked Adele before, well now you will be glad to know that you've made a great choice in an artist. You will love her even more after reading her biography of her personal life, her education and finally how she really feels about management and the music business in both the UK and the USA.

Adele is raw in her thoughts where she will tell you exactly how it feels, but deep down she is genuine and has an all-around down to earth personality. I am addicted to her musical talent
Danielle Sales
I have started reading this book, although I knew Adele is very young to have a biography. Everything that is written in the book is well-known by her public, i.e., there are no real news in her biography. If you follow the news, there's no need to read this book.
Inez
May 03, 2014 Inez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Cała jedna gwiazdka dodatkowo za sentyment do Adele i wspomnienie tamtego poranka, kiedy pierwszy raz usłyszałam "Rolling In The Deep".
(a może nawet trochę za cover - z zapowiedzią - Randy'ego Harrisona;))
Iida
Jul 27, 2016 Iida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kiinnostava elämänkerta, mutta minua häiritsi se, että monienkaan Adelen tai jonkun muun suorien lainausten alkuperää ei mainittu. Olivatko lähteenä Newkey-Burdenin haastattelut, mediat vai muut lähteet? Jäi epäselväksi. Muuten elämäkerta oli varsin kiinnostavasti ja sujuvasti kirjoitettu.
Katrina
Nothing here that you may not have read in a newspaper/magazine intervuew. Poor selection of photographs
Charlie Allison
Jun 02, 2016 Charlie Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly good biog. Mostly interpreted through Adele's own words from press interviews but very well put together. A bit too magaziney to read in one go, but good book to have on the go.
Melissa
Mar 09, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I love Adele but this book was just okay. I didn't really learn anything new from it. I think a book written by her would be so much more interesting.
Mary
Oct 28, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiographies
gave up on this not cos the book wasnt any good just think i love adele the singer but not sure was interested enough to read the book, it was a well written book and funny though...
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Maria Mcclain
Maria Mcclain rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2013
Sam Rose
Sam Rose rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2013
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Dawn Ireland
Dawn Ireland rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2016
Aamir Akbarally
Aamir Akbarally rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Suresh Bhatt
Suresh Bhatt rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Caley Morales
Caley Morales rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Rodrigo
Rodrigo rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2016
Ronnie
Ronnie rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • 101 Things You Thought You Knew About the Titanic . . . but Didn't!
  • The Proper Wife (Knotty Pines, #2)
  • Ellie's Haven (River of Hope, #2)
  • The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2)
  • Stalker in the Shadows (Sonoma, #3)
  • Brides of the West: Josie's Wedding Dress\Last Minute Bride\Her Ideal Husband
  • The Kidnapping of Kenzie Thorn
  • River's End (The Inn at Shining Waters, #3)
  • Gallagher's Hope (Montana Gallaghers, #2)
  • One Chance in a Million (California Chances, #1)
  • Knowing: A Series of Gifts
  • Susanna's Christmas Wish
  • Mother of Pearl
  • Lilac Wedding in Dry Creek
  • The Marshal Takes a Bride (Charity House, #1)
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2)
  • Autumn Winds (Seasons of the Heart #2)
Chas Newkey-Burden is a British journalist and author. His books include The Reduced History of Britain, Great Email Disasters and Not In My Name: A Compendium Of Modern Hypocrisy (co-written with Julie Burchill). He has also written unauthorised biographies of Simon Cowell, Paris Hilton, Amy Winehouse, Alexandra Burke and six official publications for Arsenal football club.

He has written for publ
More about Chas Newkey-Burden...