Start by marking “The Guy Under the Sheets: The Unauthorized Autobiography” as Want to Read:
The Guy Under the Sheets: The Unauthorized Autobiography

The Guy Under the Sheets: The Unauthorized Autobiography

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Because no one will write an "un"authorized biography about Emmy-winning writer and actor Chris Elliott, he has done it himself. Reader, you're hereby warned that much of this book will be disturbing. "The Guy Under the Sheets "is a behind-the-scenes memoir so personal, so provocative, that Elliott nearly sued himself to halt publication: the most shocking revelation, corr
Published October 1st 2012 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about The Guy Under the Sheets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guy Under the Sheets

Scott
A bit of a fall from greatness for Elliottphiles like myself, "The Guy Under the Sheets" is his fourth novel and second fake autobiography. His first fake biography, "Daddy's Boy," was pretty funny and sweetly absurd. This attempt has moments of genius and high hilarity, but a little truly does go a long way. Even at a paltry 240 pages or so, this book feels padded and repetitive.

"The Shroud of the Thwacker" was the last novel I read from him and I thought it was one of the funniest and smartest
Leslie Langtry
As reviewed at Bookendbabes.com:

The Guy Under The Sheets by Chris Elliott, reviewed by Leslie Langtry

Posted on November 1, 2012 by Leslie Langtry

He had me at “Damp”.

Actually, I’ve been a fan of Chris Elliott since his weird and wonderful tv show, GET A LIFE. It appears he’s written a book. Well, I guess he’s written other books too, but this is the first time I noticed.

If you don’t know who Chris Elliott is – try this: If you are my parents, Chris Elliott is the son of Bob Elliott of the comedy
Lara
I mean, it's Chris Elliott, what do you want?

You'll probably really enjoy this, if you're an Elliott fan, if you can handle jokes that are sometimes ridiculous, sometimes gross, sometimes stupid, sometimes in extremely poor taste, and sometimes just completely nonsensical, and if you can handle the fact that this autobiography is pretty much entirely a work of fiction. It's basically a spoof of the traditional celebrity auto/biography.

I thought it was pretty hilarious.

I suppose we have John Gott
Chris
Very disappointed. I'm a big Chris Elliott fan and expected this book to be hilarious. It absolutely wasn't. Perhaps print isn't the best medium for Elliott's sense of humor. He falls into the trap of many books that are supposed to be funny: the jokes simply can't sustain the reader for the length of a book. This book would have been a lot better and probably a lot funnier if it had been a true and accurate version of Elliott's life. That or it might have worked on film but as a book I just did ...more
Beth Newman
Not as absurdly endearing as 'Daddy's Boy', but certainly funny. I don't think Elliot's fans will be disappointed.
Cindy
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

I couldn't do it, sorry Chris!

I wanted to like this fake Chris Elliot bio but I couldn't. It was too surreal. Like a string of inside jokes that leave you out in the cold, or a bad dream you can't interpret. I got a few chuckles from the first chapter but it was all downhill from there.

I loved his character Peter from Everybody Loves Raymond and I remember him vaguely from Letterman. Never saw his movie. The other reviewers mentioned his first
Marcie Sasso
CHRIS ELLIOTT is a nut. Although I can't say that this is the best written book I ever read, I really enjoyed the stories within. It certainly envoked Chris Elliott throughout. A must read for fans of Chris.
Ashley
Disappointing. I didn't find it at all funny, just vaguely annoying. I thought I might like it as I find him funny in person but I don't think I laughed once.
Dennis
If you like the comedy of Chris Elliott, then this is the book for you. It's an offbeat history of Chris' career so far.
Jack Schultz
The best unauthorized autobiography I've ever read.
Brian Sendelbach
Should be taught in schools.
Elisa
I love Chris Elliot
Kerry
Kerry is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2015
Christina Clark
Christina Clark is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Komanjoe
Komanjoe marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Chicagomarc
Chicagomarc is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Sigmund BoPs
Sigmund BoPs marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Isabella Messina
Isabella Messina marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Hector
Hector marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Milo
Milo marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
  • Fuzzy Memories
  • McSweeney's #40
  • The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insiders Secrets from Hollywood's Top Writers
  • The Onion Book of Known Knowledge: Mankind's Final Encyclopedia From America's Finest News Source
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • The Kid Stays In The Picture
  • The Book of Drugs: A Memoir
  • Hollywood Said No!: Orphaned Film Scripts, Bastard Scenes, and Abandoned Darlings from the Creators of Mr. Show
  • The House of Redgrave: The Lives of a Theatrical Dynasty
  • An Open Book
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Biography
  • Eco Barons: The Dreamers, Schemers, and Millionaires Who Are Saving Our Planet
  • I'd Rather Be in Charge: A Legendary Business Leader's Roadmap for Achieving Pride, Power, and Joy at Work
  • The Age of the Image: Redefining Literacy in the a World of Screens
  • Comedy by the Numbers: The 169 Secrets of Humor and Popularity
  • The Second City Unscripted: Revolution and Revelation at the World-Famous Comedy Theater
  • The Loom of Ruin
The Shroud of the Thwacker Daddy's Boy: A Son's Shocking Account of Life with a Famous Father Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest Thought Shredder Egypt in England