Start by marking “Going Social: Excite Customers, Generate Buzz, and Energize Your Brand with the Power of Social Media” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Powerful lessons from the frontlines of social media marketing.
Published November 1st 2012 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Going Social, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Social

Chrysta
20 billion minutes are spent on Facebook everyday. That's 20 billion opportunities for you to find new customers and connections, and Jeremy Goldman's Going Social is the book that will show you how. Goldman has created a handbook for effective social media use that is both entertaining and informative. He includes examples, not only from his own career, but also stories and tips from successful establishments that range from small businesses to non-profits to international corporations. With in ...more
Jenn
I'm not normally one to read nonfiction, but I have to admit this book was fascinating. Although as a teacher I am not asked to do much social marketing, I loved seeing how "the other side" thinks. The language is accessible, and Goldman has a sense of humor very similar to my own. I loved seeing his asides/ it humanized the concerts. I also thought it made perfect sense that for a book that discusses social media each chapter has additional webcontent for further information. I would highly rec ...more
Kama
Note: I am handling publicity for this book.
Nina Harrington
Going Social by Jeremy Goldman

I was excited to request an advance reading copy of this book from NetGalley because there are so few genuine exponents like Jeremy who has personal experience and gives hands on examples of how he generated excitement and buzz in his business customers by energizing his brand using the power of social media.

Overall this book is an excellent primer for companies thinking of using social media to the best advantage for their customers and certainly achieves the goals
Stephanie Jobe
The full title of this book is a mouthful, no doubt. This book actually didn't take that long to read I just spread it out. When I first started I was shocked to realize just how quickly I moved through it. In some ways that subtitle is a pretty good summary of the book.

Goldman did a lot of things well. He covered everything from the front line interactions to the more gritty business side and he did it in such a way that even I, who did terribly in the my one undergraduate business course, unde
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Going Social, subtitled: Excite Customers, Generate Buzz, and Energize Your Brand with the Power of Social Media is Jeremy Goldman’s collection of good and better practices for online marketers, bloggers and community managers. No theory, models or graphics, but endless tips, hard figures and guest blogs to spice up the core message. If you’re not social, it’s like you’re not even there. That’s how critical social media marketing has become. What to do with KPI’s? How much is a Facebook “like” w ...more
Peg Fitzpatrick
I really appreciated all of the case studies and real world examples in this book. Jeremy Goldman is not just a author writing about social media but a social media professional who is an author. This important distinction creates a truly useable book.

My favorite chapter in the book was "How to build strong relationships with bloggers and work with online personalities" which explains how brands can work with bloggers and social media professionals.

There's plenty of practical tips that brands a
Ann Hoff
This book kept my interest long enough that I finished it, but will I do any of the suggestions she ha,d probably not. It was a good overview to see if I was missing anything with social media for my company, and what areas of my platform I could flesh out a little more.
James
Decent book with some good insights. It started slow, with a high-level overview that didn't contain many insights, but as the book progressed, the author began to address some more detailed tactics.
Michelle
Meh. Maybe 2 stars. This is best read by more clueless folks and those who intend on having PR teams and large brands. It also covers a lot of basics, and I am looking for something different.
Jennifer McGee
This book is highly beneficial for anyone looking to truly grasp the concept of social media and what it can do for your business. For those who have more experience in the field, he presents a lot of great topics and concepts for wisely managing your social presence in ways that are professional but not overbearing.

If you are in anyway involved with social media for work or business, then this is a must read. This is also the perfect book for anyone who can't understand how social media is an
Walt
Dec 24, 2012 Walt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Walt by: GOODREADS
RECEIVED FREE FROM GOODREADS FIRST READS. A well written and as importantly, fun to read, comprehensive look at the all-encompassing world of social media and how it fits into real world activity. Going Social is well worth having on hand; it explores so many subtle ins and outs of the social world that no matter what you have or haven't yet done yourself, you're bound to learn something new from Mr. Goldman. He's a funny, insightful, enthusiastic writer who clearly lives and breathes social med ...more
Kelly
Good book, especially the focus on what to look for in a social media/community manager, and how to handle brand negativity. There is also a section on word of mouth marketing via happy customers, and engaging employees to boost social media efforts.
Kristin
Just stepping into the business side of social media and would highly recommend this book. Jeremy provided thorough real life examples from reputable companies that were helpful to explain things to a newbie. The only thing I was left desiring was more information about service based companies rather than product but that said, the book was still a wealth of information.
Dave Snell
Learned very little from this book, and I'm far from a social expert. Far too many of the points were obvious and the examples were not very compelling. Although it's very dated, Groundswell offers a far better set of principles for developing social strategies.
Everyfittoread
This is the book that has turned my small review company into the giant that it is becomming. I knew the web had changed but how to take my simple reviw blog and grow it was not something I knew how to do. This book shows you and most of all it is simple and fun.
Bettye
it was very informative. I was able to take away some great information and apply it to my business…. that sounds so generic. but its true. and i started following jeremy goldman on twitter, thats even better. its like an extension of the book.
Satia
The strength of this book lies in the personal experiences of both the author and those he invites to share their own stories. For more:

Jenn
Confession, I actually read this a while ago. But, it's so good I think I need to read it again. Jeremy Goldman practices what he preaches so it's well worth connecting to him on Twitter.
BLACK CAT

Be approachable.
Encourage engagement.
Be a friend and give them something useful.
Don’t overload your audience.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Aurochs
Aurochs marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Ashleé
Ashleé marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Sabra Rubinstein
Sabra Rubinstein marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Leanne Marie
Leanne Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Allison
Allison is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2015
  • Reading Joss Whedon
  • Better Body Workouts for Women
  • The Secret Language of Animals: A Guide to Remarkable Behavior
  • Acorn
  • The Girl Who Owned a City
  • The Book of Five Rings from SmarterComics
  • Beautiful Thing: Inside the Secret World of Bombay's Dance Bars
  • The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
  • How to Market a Book
  • We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
  • Women, Sex, Power & Pleasure: How Powerful and Pleasurable Living Can Give You the Sex You Want
  • Launch: How to Quickly Propel Your Business Beyond the Competition
  • The Clear Skin Diet: How to Defeat Acne and Enjoy Healthy Skin
  • The Now Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter, and More Social
  • The Best American Sports Writing 2012
  • Aida Mollenkamp's Keys to the Kitchen: The Essential Reference for Becoming a More Accomplished, Adventurous Cook
  • HBR Guide to Project Management (HBR Guide Series)
JEREMY GOLDMAN, a recognized expert in social marketing, has managed e-commerce and social media for major brands, including Kiehl’s, TEMPTU, and Jurlique, and consulted with numerous others. He is currently AVP of Interactive Communications for iluminage inc., a Unilever subsidiary he helped found.
More about Jeremy Goldman...

“Listening is one of the most important things a brand can do online. If your brand is just broadcasting its own agenda, it isn’t truly engaging in a conversation.” 3 likes
“Create engaging video content.” If a picture can tell a thousand words, image how many words a video can convey. To say that video should be an important piece of your content pie would be an understatement for most businesses.” 1 likes