Control (Control, #1)

Control (Control #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,395 ratings  ·  256 reviews
An un-putdownable thriller for fans of Uglies

When a crash kills their father and leaves them orphaned, Zel knows she needs to protect her sister, Dyl. But before Zel has a plan, Dyl is taken by strangers using bizarre sensory weapons, and Zel finds herself in a safe house for teens who aren’t like any she’s ever seen before—teens who shouldn't even exist. Using broken-down...more
Published December 26th 2013 by Dial Books for Young Readers

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
31st out of 491 books — 2,257 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
143rd out of 1,418 books — 9,853 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Destroyer of Dreams)

This is a cheap designer knockoff of the X-Men series, with none of the complexity, none of the compelling social issues, and a completely preposterous faux-dystopian world. Instead of the jaw-dropping skills of the X-Men, we have a completely lackluster cast of so-called mutants with the combined powers of lulling me the fuck to sleep. There is rampant girl-on-girl hate and passive-aggressive criticism on provovative dress. There is a special, special girl.
“You’re so much more extraordinary th
Christine Riccio
I had a lot of fun reading Control. I really was expecting something very different than what it ended up being and I like that! I like that it was very much not what I thought it would be. I didn't know how much I was going to like it but about 150 pages in things started really rolling and I had trouble putting it down! I find Lydia Kang's world in Control to be so interesting. I'm fascinated by it and how it will continue to fill out. Here's my full review/discussion/booktalk: http://youtu.be...more
Isa Lavinia

tw: misogyny, slut shaming, abuse, miscarriage, and I'm probably forgetting 15 other things

This book is everything that's wrong with YA: slut-shaming, girl-on-girl hate, hypersexualization of everything girls do even when it's not even remotely sexual, a verbally and emotionally abusive love interest who kisses the protagonist while she's drugged, weak worldbuilding, boring stereotypical characters, an attempt at a love triangle, absurd dialogue, girls only realizing their worth if a boy point...more
Melodramaticfool
Jan 03, 2014 Melodramaticfool is currently reading it
Shelves: so-super-psyched
*0* shiny, pretty, interesting, want, yay!

Elizabeth
A+ pacing, action, characters, etc! Full review SOON.
Jesse
(3.5 stars)

I really enjoyed this book! The characters were very interesting and the story was nicely paced. The only problems I had was the world building and the character development. I had a hard time grasping the world and I felt like I was kind of thrown into it and expected to figure out everything on my own. I also think that it was hard to really care for any of the characters, because I didn't feel like I got to know them well enough in the beginning. Either way this book was really fu...more
Jacob McCabe
I just didn't like it.
Overused plot devices. X-Men concept (without the interesting abilities). Annoying characters (pretty much all of them). Very VERY slow plot. Terrible world building that didn't even make sense logically and I could never fully construct in my head. Unnecessary description. What felt to me as slut-shaming disguised in a YA book. Everything I don't like was a factor in this book, and therefore, it did not sit well with me, and it was a struggle to finish.

I wi...more
Phoebe
That was fun! At the heart of this futuristic thriller (featuring science! and a girl who loves science! and poetry! and girls who love poetry!) is a well-wrought and touching relationship between sisters. This will appeal to fans of LJ Smith's Dark Vision trilogy, but who want a little more sci in their fi.
Mary Lindsey
Sweetest author! Can't wait for this one.
Please, remind me to breath while I wait for this. I'll owe you big time.
Ariel
Feb 24, 2014 Ariel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was a fun ride! I had two favourite aspects: 1) the focus on SCIENCE. A lot of the time science in books can feel really fake: I can tell that authors are just making things up.. and that's totally fine, but it felt really special in this book that the science felt reasonable and possible, and 2) the cast of characters! I genuinely really like the crew that we have here, and I look forward to seeing what happens to them in future books.

I did, of course, have some issues with this book too....more
Katie Walton
Being the older sister comes with a lot of responsibility. Just ask Zelia! She's been catering to her little sis Dylia almost forever while their dad moves the family sporadically around the country doing some important but kind of mysterious science-y stuff. Lately Dylia has been growing up so fast Zel can hardly keep up but that's ok since their dad keeps an eye on everything. He might not be around a lot but he knows what is best and helps them make all of the important choices in life... unt...more
Mia
I really enjoyed Control. It was a bit slow in the middle, but there was never a word that didn't contribute to the story. Once I got to the end, I simply could not put the book down, and when I finished, I just wanted more. Most of the books I've read this summer have really cheesy or obvious endings, but in my opinion, Control has the perfect bittersweet ending.

My favorite part of the book were the characters. In a way, they very much reminded me of those in Veronica Roth's Divergent (which i...more
Krista (Nawanda Files)
Sounds like a YA book version of Gattaca...I'm in!!!

---

UPDATE 4/4/14

Lots of science in this one! Which is good for any science lover like me...

The romance was the highlight of the book. I love me some love-hate relationships and this has a pretty good one. No insta-love in sight!!! Oh, and...I so picture the end result of the book cover being something like this...

hehe
Emily May
Jan 11, 2014 Emily May marked it as dnf
I couldn't even make it to the halfway mark. And apparently I would have only had slut-shaming and misogyny to look forward to. No thanks.
Kat
This was a fun, fast-paced story that I ended up really enjoying! I loved all the science and thought so much of the technology and action sequences were just VERY COOL. The beginning was a little rushed and I felt the character development was lacking a bit, but I still enjoyed the characters and I can't wait to see where this story goes in the next book!

Check out my full video review for more of my thoughts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3OQ5...
Lillie Wyant
MAJOR RAPE TW

Okay, so ever since mid-January I've been having severe constant migraines. I even had to go to a specialist and had to take an MRI to see what was wrong with me, and this last week the migraines seemed to be going away. But then they came back around Tuesday.

When I started this book.

If you seen my numerous status updates, you should know my main complaint is the characters and their stupidity. Because they had to be the most stupidest characters I have ever read. You see, the chara...more
Basil
This was like... X-Men meets Graceling meets the future meets AWESOME.
Leigh Moore
Jul 30, 2012 Leigh Moore marked it as to-read
Squee!!! So awesome. Can't wait to read it! :o)
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

Control has been one of my most anticipated books of the year, so when I was offered a review copy I jumped at the opportunity to read it! And I must say, Control did not disappoint. It's was great Science fiction/Dystopian book, and the perfect one to end my year off with a bang!

I loved the Science aspect of Control, even though it got to be very confusing after a while. All the science and technical wording was a lot to take in and understand. And the science fiction part was the main worl...more
Vannessa
Jan 06, 2014 Vannessa marked it as to-read
"An un-putdownable thriller for fans of Uglies"

That threw me off for a minute. At first I was all:

Then I was like:

Anywho...ADDED!
Katie (Books and Katie)
Apr 15, 2014 Katie (Books and Katie) rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie (Books and Katie) by: Khanh (Destroyer of Dreams)
Shelves: dissapointments
Rating: ★

Suddenly, there is pain. The back of my head, throbbing. And silence. I shake my head and try to look around the room. Reality is back. The two strangers are gone.

And so is Dyl.

Summary:

Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I received this ARC from Penguin publishing in exchange for an honest review. I award this book 3.5 stars.

I've been dying to get my hands on this ARC because to my knowledge, it's the first YA medical thriller written by a bona fide physician. This is the kind of book I've always personally wanted to write, and so I was excited to see what Kang did with it. Overall, I think this is a strong first novel.

Control by Lydia Kang is the first in a trilogy about Zelia trying to find her sister, Dylia (...more
Erin Arkin
Control is a futuristic dystopian story that includes solid characters, an interesting story and at times had me thinking of the X-men the way the kids in this story dealt with their genetic enhancements/challenges. When Zel and Dyl are suddenly orphaned they find themselves in a world neither of them could have imagined and from the first pages, we are taken on quite a ride.

Carus and Aureus are competing homes for orphaned children that have genetic anomalies. Zel and Dyl were given blood test...more
Jennika
I was NOT digging this book.

The main character, Zelia, is a complete moron. She's so judgmental and immature, it made me want to vomit all over my book. She's a complete bitch to the other female characters for how they dress and how they act around guys, but then does something ten times worse just a few pages later!

And then, the "humor" in this book was not humorous at all. It was borderline inappropriate and discriminatory. This line in particular really angered me:

"I think you have a trait
Tina
***3.5 stars***

Thoughts:
1) I enjoyed the first part of the book a lot more than the last parts. Not only was Zelia reckless and quite annoying near the end but it all just felt a little bit messy in terms of the storyline.
2) There are still holes and explanations that I want from this book. I would've liked more detail about the genetic mutations the characters had.
3) There was no dull moment in this book. You are kept entertained the whole time and there are multiple twists to keep the story r...more
Stephanie Marie
The only sad part about getting to read this book is having to wait extra long for it's sequel. *sobs*
Proud Book Nerd
Surprisingly good. Well-written. Unputdownable.

More: http://proudbooknerd.com/2013/11/11/r...
Cookie
2 stars. The bad outweigh the good.
I wanted to like this book. I really did.
Honestly, though? I don't really know what to think of this book. I felt as if the author tried way too much to make it sci-fi. Before you get on my case about that fact, that it's supposed to be a sci-fi, that it was the entire point, just hear me out okay? There's dystopian sci-fis, with serums and advanced tech.
Then there's making science metaphors at every turn.
Which is what this book did. All the fucking time. I me...more
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

I didn't quite know what to expect from Control, but I'm glad I had a chance to read it. It was a unique sci-fi set about 140 years from now with plenty of action, memorable characters, and a sweet romance. This book actually kept me up late at night twice because I couldn't stop reading. Needless to say, it was a pretty engrossing read.

Control is full of science and technology. I felt things were as realistic as it could be for a world...more
REBEL BELLE | BOO...: Control: Reading Schedule! 48 1436 Feb 22, 2014 03:17PM
REBEL BELLE | BOO...: Control: Discussion for Chapters 17-24 45 309 Feb 20, 2014 01:56PM
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Coda (Coda #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • After You
  • Acid
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • Salvage
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Cybernetic
I love salt more than chocolate. I'm somewhat small, yet deceptively strong. Sort of like an ant.

I write YA fiction, poetry and narrative medical nonfiction. I'm a part time doc, full time family member, and rather oxygen dependent.

My YA sci-fi novel, CONTROL, will debut December 2013 (Dial/Penguin). I'll be holding my breath until then. Watch me.

More about Lydia Kang...
Catalyst (Control, #2) The best of Vine Leaves Literary Journal 2012 Poetry Pact 2011

“Trust no one, I scold myself. Even if they smell good.” 3 likes
“What's the meaning of life?"
"I have been programmed by Hexus to reply 'meatballs,'" it says.”
0 likes