Start by marking “Control (Control, #1)” as Want to Read:
Control (Control, #1)

Control (Control #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,729 Ratings  ·  546 Reviews
An un-putdownable thriller for fans of Uglies

When a crash kills their father and leaves them orphaned, Zel knows she needs to protect her sister, Dyl. But before Zel has a plan, Dyl is taken by strangers using bizarre sensory weapons, and Zel finds herself in a safe house for teens who aren’t like any she’s ever seen before—teens who shouldn't even exist. Using broken-down
Published December 26th 2013 by Dial Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Control, please sign up.

Amber Yes it is the second book is called catalyst
Amy It focuses more on the romance than other YA books and describes some frightening genetically altered kids so I wouldn't recommend it for the 12 year…moreIt focuses more on the romance than other YA books and describes some frightening genetically altered kids so I wouldn't recommend it for the 12 year old. If you are looking for Hunger Games or Divergent type books, I would recommend these series - Monument 14, Altered, The Program, Article 5, Taken, Skylark and The Testing.(less)
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
31st out of 513 books — 2,461 voters
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
20th out of 371 books — 1,473 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)

This is a cheap designer knockoff of the X-Men series, with none of the complexity, none of the compelling social issues, and a completely preposterous faux-dystopian world. Instead of the jaw-dropping skills of the X-Men, we have a completely lackluster cast of so-called mutants with the combined powers of lulling me the fuck to sleep. There is rampant girl-on-girl hate and passive-aggressive criticism on provovative dress. There is a special, special girl.
“You’re so much more extraordinary th
Christine Riccio
Feb 19, 2014 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I had a lot of fun reading Control. I really was expecting something very different than what it ended up being and I like that! I like that it was very much not what I thought it would be. I didn't know how much I was going to like it but about 150 pages in things started really rolling and I had trouble putting it down! I find Lydia Kang's world in Control to be so interesting. I'm fascinated by it and how it will continue to fill out. Here's my full review/discussion/booktalk: http://youtu.be ...more
Isa Lavinia

tw: misogyny, slut shaming, abuse, miscarriage, and I'm probably forgetting 15 other things

This book is everything that's wrong with YA: slut-shaming, girl-on-girl hate, hypersexualization of everything girls do even when it's not even remotely sexual, a verbally and emotionally abusive love interest who kisses the protagonist while she's drugged, weak worldbuilding, boring stereotypical characters, an attempt at a love triangle, absurd dialogue, girls only realizing their worth if a boy point
Melodramaticfool
Aug 18, 2015 Melodramaticfool marked it as abandoned
*0* shiny, pretty, interesting, want, yay!

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Feb 22, 2014 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars)

I really enjoyed this book! The characters were very interesting and the story was nicely paced. The only problems I had was the world building and the character development. I had a hard time grasping the world and I felt like I was kind of thrown into it and expected to figure out everything on my own. I also think that it was hard to really care for any of the characters, because I didn't feel like I got to know them well enough in the beginning. Either way this book was really fu
Liz Janet
Feb 25, 2016 Liz Janet rated it did not like it
I was desperate to love this book, I wanted to hug it and love it, and share it with everyone that I met and tell them it was awesome, but it was not. BUT IT DEFINITELY IS NOT AT ALL A FORM OF X-MEN, THAT IS JUST OFFENSIVE TO THE X-MEN. A review I read said : “This was like… X-Men meets Graceling meets the future meets AWESOME.” You sir, are a liar.

“I can feel it in my neurons.” This is an actual line.

I don’t recommend this as a dystopian read, or a science-fiction read, but it is definitely a
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: underhyped-books
A+ pacing, action, characters, etc! Full review SOON.
Jacob McCabe
Feb 20, 2014 Jacob McCabe rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-my-nook
I just didn't like it.
Overused plot devices. X-Men concept (without the interesting abilities). Annoying characters (pretty much all of them). Very VERY slow plot. Terrible world building that didn't even make sense logically and I could never fully construct in my head. Unnecessary description. What felt to me as slut-shaming disguised in a YA book. Everything I don't like was a factor in this book, and therefore, it did not sit well with me, and it was a struggle to finish.

I wi
Steph Sinclair
Absolutely terrible.

DNF at 57%. This is one of those times where I legitimately think I’ve read a different book that my friends. In theory, Control should have worked for me. I really loved the idea of a conspiracy and the secret being in Zel’s genes. I really thought these were great ideas and I was completely looking forward to reading about it. Then I started reading and my happy cat died.

Slut-shaming

Zel, our main protagonist, is constantly slut-shamming another girl named Vera, who is very
Ariel
Feb 24, 2014 Ariel rated it liked it
This was a fun ride! I had two favourite aspects: 1) the focus on SCIENCE. A lot of the time science in books can feel really fake: I can tell that authors are just making things up.. and that's totally fine, but it felt really special in this book that the science felt reasonable and possible, and 2) the cast of characters! I genuinely really like the crew that we have here, and I look forward to seeing what happens to them in future books.

I did, of course, have some issues with this book too.
Kat O'Keeffe
Apr 06, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it liked it
This was a fun, fast-paced story that I ended up really enjoying! I loved all the science and thought so much of the technology and action sequences were just VERY COOL. The beginning was a little rushed and I felt the character development was lacking a bit, but I still enjoyed the characters and I can't wait to see where this story goes in the next book!

Check out my full video review for more of my thoughts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3OQ5...
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
I really enjoyed this one. Mutations, saving someone you love? And the pacing was so fast I quickly devoured it. There's no surprise that the author is a doctor. Lots of scientific terms that just flew past my head lol
Emily May
Jan 11, 2014 Emily May marked it as dnf
I couldn't even make it to the halfway mark. And apparently I would have only had slut-shaming and misogyny to look forward to. No thanks.
Mary Lindsey
Apr 06, 2013 Mary Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Sweetest author! Can't wait for this one.
Aug 18, 2014 Sarah marked it as to-read
Please, remind me to breath while I wait for this. I'll owe you big time.
Katie Walton
Being the older sister comes with a lot of responsibility. Just ask Zelia! She's been catering to her little sis Dylia almost forever while their dad moves the family sporadically around the country doing some important but kind of mysterious science-y stuff. Lately Dylia has been growing up so fast Zel can hardly keep up but that's ok since their dad keeps an eye on everything. He might not be around a lot but he knows what is best and helps them make all of the important choices in life... unt ...more
Krista
Sounds like a YA book version of Gattaca...I'm in!!!

---

UPDATE 4/4/14

Lots of science in this one! Which is good for any science lover like me...

The romance was the highlight of the book. I love me some love-hate relationships and this has a pretty good one. No insta-love in sight!!! Oh, and...I so picture the end result of the book cover being something like this...

hehe
Mia
Aug 19, 2013 Mia rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Control. It was a bit slow in the middle, but there was never a word that didn't contribute to the story. Once I got to the end, I simply could not put the book down, and when I finished, I just wanted more. Most of the books I've read this summer have really cheesy or obvious endings, but in my opinion, Control has the perfect bittersweet ending.

My favorite part of the book were the characters. In a way, they very much reminded me of those in Veronica Roth's Divergent (which i
Basil
Oct 19, 2013 Basil rated it it was amazing
This was like... X-Men meets Graceling meets the future meets AWESOME.
Leigh Moore
Jul 30, 2012 Leigh Moore marked it as to-read
Squee!!! So awesome. Can't wait to read it! :o)
Juhina
Feb 03, 2016 Juhina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, penguin
4.5/5 stars.

Control by Lydia Kang was my book of the month for November. I went into it being a bit wary of the campaigning on the back of the book that promised a "ROMANTIC READ" and that usually brings up red flags in that the book will mostly center around the romance, but Control exceeded my expectations by a mile. After its slow beginning, I couldn't put the book down. The plot line, the characters, and all the mystery behind everything going on was so engaging and interesting, something I
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

Control has been one of my most anticipated books of the year, so when I was offered a review copy I jumped at the opportunity to read it! And I must say, Control did not disappoint. It's was great Science fiction/Dystopian book, and the perfect one to end my year off with a bang!

I loved the Science aspect of Control, even though it got to be very confusing after a while. All the science and technical wording was a lot to take in and understand. And the science fiction part was the main worl
Jennika
I was NOT digging this book.

The main character, Zelia, is a complete moron. She's so judgmental and immature, it made me want to vomit all over my book. She's a complete bitch to the other female characters for how they dress and how they act around guys, but then does something ten times worse just a few pages later!

And then, the "humor" in this book was not humorous at all. It was borderline inappropriate and discriminatory. This line in particular really angered me:

"I think you have a trait
Maddie
Feb 23, 2015 Maddie rated it liked it
*more like 3.5
LilyCat (May the Fourth be with you!)
“Trust is essential when you're planning to lie to everyone you know.”

Yeah, girl, but the lying part? Totally not necessary.

The Gist: Zelia, a young biochemist, flees to a shadowy underworld of genetic mutants when her father, a brilliant geneticist, is killed in an "accident." However, Zel's sister, Dyl, is captured by another group of ruthless mutants, and Zel will do anything to get her sister back-- even betray her new friends.

Genre: Sci-fi (Dystopian, mutants)
"Cleanness": some violence, dis
Jilly
Oct 10, 2014 Jilly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
Xmen in Pride and Prejudice form? How cool! If I had known that this book was a sci-fi P&P, I would have read it a long time ago, since that is my favorite book ever! But, I was thrown off by so many negative reviews and the fact that nobody seemed to mention it. I had a great time finding all of the Pride and Prejudice nuggets in the book. Such as:

The names:
Main Character - Zelia Benson. Zelia is an anagram for Eliza - Elizabeth Bennett.
Sister - Dylia - Anagram for Lydia, Elizabeth's siste
Cookie
2 stars. The bad outweigh the good.
I wanted to like this book. I really did.
Honestly, though? I don't really know what to think of this book. I felt as if the author tried way too much to make it sci-fi. Before you get on my case about that fact, that it's supposed to be a sci-fi, that it was the entire point, just hear me out okay? There's dystopian sci-fis, with serums and advanced tech.
Then there's making science metaphors at every turn.
Which is what this book did. All the fucking time. I me
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Sep 07, 2013 Christina (Ensconced in Lit) rated it really liked it
Shelves: publisher-sent
I received this ARC from Penguin publishing in exchange for an honest review. I award this book 3.5 stars.

I've been dying to get my hands on this ARC because to my knowledge, it's the first YA medical thriller written by a bona fide physician. This is the kind of book I've always personally wanted to write, and so I was excited to see what Kang did with it. Overall, I think this is a strong first novel.

Control by Lydia Kang is the first in a trilogy about Zelia trying to find her sister, Dylia (
Erin Arkin
Oct 26, 2013 Erin Arkin rated it really liked it
Control is a futuristic dystopian story that includes solid characters, an interesting story and at times had me thinking of the X-men the way the kids in this story dealt with their genetic enhancements/challenges. When Zel and Dyl are suddenly orphaned they find themselves in a world neither of them could have imagined and from the first pages, we are taken on quite a ride.

Carus and Aureus are competing homes for orphaned children that have genetic anomalies. Zel and Dyl were given blood test
Heather
Oct 24, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a unique, interesting, fast-paced story that takes place in 2150. A lot has changed in the world with automatic cars, auditory drugs, and people with genetic oddities (super-fast healing, four arms, two heads, and so on). It’s a very unique story in a very unique setting. Things I found at least remotely amusing were things like their calling cars “chars.”

Zel is an interesting character whom I found it easy to like. Once her sister is taken, she goes from timid, meek girl to tigress. She
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)
  • Acid
  • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
  • Red
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
I love salt more than chocolate. I'm somewhat small, yet deceptively strong. Sort of like an ant.

I write YA fiction, poetry and narrative medical nonfiction. I'm a part time doc, full time family member, and rather oxygen dependent.

My YA sci-fi novel, CONTROL, debuted December 2013 (Dial/Penguin). The sequel, CATALYST, released March 2015 (Kathy Dawson Books/Penguin). I released a short story in
More about Lydia Kang...

Control (2 books)
  • Catalyst (Control, #2)

“What's the meaning of life?"
"I have been programmed by Hexus to reply 'meatballs,'" it says.”
19 likes