Blood Crime (The Hollows Graphic Novel, #2)

Blood Crime (The Hollows Graphic Novel #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  498 ratings  ·  51 reviews
"You can't tell the story of how it all began for supernatural cops Ivy Tamwood and Rachel Morgan without telling how it all nearly ended. The fiery living vampire and erstwhile earth witch never asked to be paired up in the first place. And having to work Inderland Security'scrummiest beat--busting two-bit paranormal street punks--sure didnt sweeten the deal. But when it...more
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 2012 by Del Rey Books

VampireNovelFan
Felt Like Familiar Territory

I.S. cops Ivy Tamwood and Rachel Morgan were having a pretty good week, working their beat, busting brimstone street dealers left and right. That is until they realize someone may be gunning for them directly. That'll put a damper on anyone's week. Fortunately dodging risky attempts on their lives, it's up to Ivy to figure out whose targeting them and why. Could it be Piscary? Does he want to eliminate Rachel to get Ivy back in his clutches faster? Or could it be a n...more
Marianne
Another prequel/graphic novel in the Hollows series. This book gives us further insight into the thoughts of living and dead vampires; how their twisted minds really work. I appreciated the opportunity to explore Ivy's desires and temptations from her POV, and watch her growing realization of how Piscary's been manipulating her all this time. Got my first glimpse of my most DETESTED Hollows character as well. I really wish Ivy would had finished him completely, not just put him in jail, the bast...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Oct 01, 2012 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: GR monthly e-mail
I wasn't impressed with Blood Work: An Original Hollows Graphic Novel but enh ... Rachel and Ivy. Who knows, I might be in the mood at some point.
T. Edmund
I enjoyed the previous Hollow's graphic novel Blood Work, if only for the pretty artwork and the enjoyment of seeing the novel characters come to life on the page.

Blood Crime however flopped. My first criticism is the lack of true 'story-telling.' As narrator Ivy essentially just tells us everything thats going on both with the action, and with her emotions (telling, rather than showing is surely even more of a literary crime in graphic novels.) Ivy flip-flops throughout the story, rather than p...more
Cathy
I think the timing is just bad, I'm kind of irritated with Harrison and her tendency to write self-hating want-to-be lovers for Rachel. If I hadn't just finished Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond I would have been looking at this with fresh eyes and it wouldn't have bothered me as much, but seeing it as a part of the whole story arc of the series, it just bugged me more. I can see why so many self-haters would be drawn to a woman who likes herself so much, but the theme is gettin...more
Marianna
I suppose I should have known I would not be the biggest fan of the graphic novels of this series. Being that it is Ivy's POV I should have known. Basically, I see Ivy as a little one note. It is always the same thing with her. She struggles to maintain but gains no insight or real strength by doing that. She NEEDS Rachel, blah blah, and WANTS her. I found that tiring in the books. It was endless and always seemed to be the same problem. I have no issue with the author having the two ladies hook...more
Jessica
Kim Harrison and Gemma Magno come together again in the second Hollows Graphic Novel, Blood Crime! So continues the tale of Ivy and Rachel while they were still working for the I.S.

This is definitely one of my favorite graphic novel series as I loooove the Hollows! Seeing Rachel and Ivy and other characters, like Kisten...sigh...all colorful on the page is astounding!! I am hoping this graphic novel series continues, but there isn't any available info for a continuance! I keep hoping we see how/...more
IbNancy
I won this book from a book bloggers site, and I think I was more excited to win the autographed book from Kim Harrison than anything else! Of course with Canada Post being what it is it took over 7 weeks to get here from the time I won it to actually getting to read it!

Blood Crime is a graphic novel, which is basically a short story of characters we know from the series of books, done with graphics like a hard covered comic book. While some of the art was fantastic some of it for me wasn't what...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

If you had the chance to read the first graphic novel for The Hollows, BLOOD WORK, you will know that these glimpses into the series are told from Ivy’s POV. Also an important point is that they are telling of their early days as partners working for the IS. I find that I can just eat these up! They are full of an emotional and conflicted side of Ivy, when she wasn’t as in control and comfortable with herself.

In BLOOD CRIME she is still very much under P...more
Jackino Amato
May 07, 2014 Jackino Amato rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hallow's Fans everywhere
Recommended to Jackino by: no one
Not what I expected. I really liked the story, but I did not like the art work, not how I envisioned the characters to look like. I like the versions in my head better. it did make me want to read the first graphic novel. I just love most things Kim Harrison.
Ashley
I think I would have enjoyed this more had there not been such a huge gap inbetween my reading this and the previous book. Or even if there had been a quick refresher on what had happened and who was who in book one. While Rachel, Ivy, Kisten and the like don't need backstories if you're a Hollows fan some of the other characters like Art (?) I had no memory of who they were and why they were importany. Not bad on the whole, art was acceptable (I'm really picky about art involving characters tha...more
Reggie
A must read for any Hollows fan.
This is the second prequel to the Hollows series telling the story of Rachel and Ivy as partners in the I.S. (before Jinks). The point of view is from Ivy, which gives a nice insight into her that's not as clear in the novels.
The story is well presented and ties into the novels quite nicely. The art work is good, although I expect this is where Hollows fans will complain. Everyone has their own idea of what the characters in the novels should look like so not eve...more
Elaine
I loved this novel from start to finish. The story gave a more depth look at Ivy and how she felt about Rachel who is completely ablivious to Ivy's affections.
I loved the art work and thought Gemma Magno had got Ivy and Rachel just right but Ivy's hair was longer than all the books but maybe she had long hair.
As usual Rachel was her quirky self with Ivy been her usual shut of self who is trying to break away from Piscary.
My only issue was there was no Jenks in this novel and I would have loved t...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Story is interesting, same with the characters. Might read the books. Good sequel.
Marian
I wanted to like Blood Crime more than I did. As it was, the story wasn't bad and I think if it had been in a short story collection I'd have liked it more. It just seemed kind of a waste to use this story in a graphic novel form, you know? There wasn't anything in it that worked better with visuals and in fact the artwork works against the story here more often than not.

Amanda
I love seeing Ivy and Rachel's back story come to life in drawings. This is such a rich way to see how their relationship was formed before Rachel's books started. We get more of a foundation about Ivy with Piscary too which is important to understanding what happens to Ivy throughout the Hollows' books and how what unfolds is so important to who Ivy becomes. Another great installment and great drawings, the hunger shadows were more belivable and scary in this one, I can't wait for the next enst...more
Wendy
Enjoyed the story but the graphics looked a bit sloppy to me.

For example, the typically slender and fit Ivy actually looked fat in a couple illustrations. And some of her and Rachel's facial expressions were so poorly done, they looked like different people. Consistency in the illustrations needs to be tightened up quite a bit.

Still liked the story and always hope for more.
Sara
Blood Crime delves into Ivy's relationships with Piscary and Rachel while she attempts to discover who is responsible for the attempts on her life. It was an okay story. Piscary was a very creepy, stalker-ish presence in the story. The most interesting part of the stoy was the allusions to how Ivy's mom died which was never mentioned in the main series.
Jesse
It's interesting to read about Rachel and Ivy's partnership from Ivy's point-of-view. She's a little too mope and pine for my liking, but she's still pretty kick-ass when she needs to be. I really like artist Gemma Magno's portrayal of the "vampires" within Ivy and Piscary. I'd never considered them in that sense before.
Cathy
I'm not a huge fan of this comic art since I do sometimes read the husband's comic books and have seen some pretty amazing graphic novels. Putting that aside, I love the story. It's fun to learn the back stories of some favorite fictional characters! A definite MUST for those who love the Hollows series!
Yaz
This story continues to gives an insight to how Ivy sees Rachel and what her relationship with her master is like. Someone is trying to kill Rachel or Ivy or both and while solving this mystery we discover what it really takes to be loved by a Master Vampire like Piscary.

Emmalee
Really well done, and a great bit of back story between rachel and ivy. The only complaint I have is Rachel's boobs are too big, if you've ever read the rest of the books. Jenks wouldn't tease her and tell her she's got "fried eggs" otherwise :P

Amie Doughty
The storyline is interesting, but I really don't care for the art work. I have a feeling that I'd have this issue regardless of artist, however, since I've had a picture in my mind of these characters for years as a reader of the novels in the series.
Grace
This is a prequel to the Dark Hallows series - it features Ivy and Rachel when they still work for the IS. It is told from Ivy's perspective, which was interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of the art work, but it was a decent story.
Michelle
I found the art was eye-grabbing, for the most part, but the story was more re-hashing of Ivy's issues, which Harrison has dealt with so many times already. I enjoyed it, but I wish Harrison had a new story to tell.
Mo
No matter how hard I try, I just can't get into the graphic novels. I'm not impressed by the way it's drawn, the ending seemed abrupt, & I'm tired of every female being bent over with cleavage busting out.
Laurel
It's worth the background storyline knowledge, but to be honest, the art and writing seem a bit below the level of what I expect from The Hollows. I would prefer a bit better from such a phenomenal series.
Jeff J.
This is a prequel to the novels, capturing Rachel and Ivy's time in the I. S. and setting the stage for later books. Enjoyed the story but the art work was hit or miss. Biggest flaw? No Jinks!
Darcy
A lot of this one is things that we have learned about in the normal books, but I do like seeing them in this different format, even if I don't really care for how things are drawn.
Fans of The Hollo...: Giveaway - SIGNED copy of Blood Crime by Kim Harrison 5 32 Sep 03, 2013 06:17PM
  • Mercy Thompson: Moon Called, Volume 2
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 3
  • The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • Lost Truth (Truth, #4)
  • Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse Ultimate Collection
  • Death Rejoices (The Marnie Baranuik Files #2)
  • Sympathy for the Devil  (Quincey Morris, #3)
  • Charlaine Harris' Grave Sight Part 1 (Grave Sight Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • True Blood, Volume 2: Tainted Love
  • Serenity: Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Spike: The Complete Series
  • Revenge is Sweet (Kali Sweet, #1)
Kim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.

Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook h...more
More about Kim Harrison...
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)