Start by marking “The Breaking Jewel” as Want to Read:
The Breaking Jewel

The Breaking Jewel

Set on an island in the South Pacific during the final days of World War II, when the tide has turned against Japan and the war has unmistakably become one of attrition, The Breaking Jewel offers a rare depiction of the Pacific War from the Japanese side and captures the essence of Japan's doomed imperial aims. The novel opens as a small force of Japanese soldiers prepares ...more
Published January 23rd 2003 by Columbia University Press (first published January 16th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Breaking Jewel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breaking Jewel

Michael-Ann Cerniglia
Soobie's heartbroken
I read the book for a university course on Japanese philosophical thinking and I was glad I did.

Unfortunately less than one month before I'd read "All Quiet on the Western Front" and I really loved that book. OK that the setting and the war are not the same (German trenches during WW1 vs. Pacific Island in WW2) but in comparison to Remarque's novel, Oda's work is way less interested in analysing the characters and we just got brief of them. I think that "The Breaking Jewel" is a bit less deep th
Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror)
Even though this is a ridiculously short book it took me three days to read it. I kept getting distracted and constantly felt sleepy while reading it, and this rarely happens to me! I kind of felt the same way reading this as I did when I had to read The Things They Carried back in High School. I don't enjoy reading about war and I wouldn't have read this book if I hadn't been forced.

The only thing that I was sort of interested in was reading the Japanese view of things at the end of WWII, but
Jeffrey
May 19, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is desert island literature, not just because it is set on an island in the Pacific. This story, written by one of Japan's most prominent peace activists, is an exploration of the psychology behind total war. Set on a South Pacific island under siege, it is a dark, riveting, and surprising story, almost impossible to put down.
Evan Marc
Read for school. Cloying junk.
Jacopo
Jacopo rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2009
Novia
Novia rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2009
Dalton Lloyd
Dalton Lloyd rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
B
B rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2008
Antonio
Antonio rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Natasha M.
Natasha M. rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2009
Mims Graeber
Mims Graeber rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Julie Harris
Julie Harris rated it liked it
May 08, 2017
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
May 07, 2011
rose
rose rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Dick
Dick rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2014
craig
craig rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2010
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Lena
Lena rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Ashley jones
Ashley jones rated it liked it
May 19, 2010
Charles Newton
Charles Newton rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
Mary-Anne
Mary-Anne rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2014
Mike Lynch
Mike Lynch rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2010
Dnaligo
Dnaligo rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2010
Josh
Josh rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2009
Oda Makoto (小田 実 Oda Makoto, June 2, 1932 — July 30, 2007) was a Japanese novelist, peace activist, academic and Time Asian Hero.

Oda was born in Osaka in 1932 and graduated from the University of Tokyo's Faculty of Letters program, majoring in classical Greek philosophy and literature. He won a Fulbright Scholarship to Harvard University in 1958.

His travels through Europe and Asia on a budget of a
More about Makoto Oda...