The Gentle Art of Making Enemies

The Gentle Art of Making Enemies

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Described by Whistler himself as a highly entertaining account of personal revenges, this workis filled with the deadly sarcasm and stinging remarks of one of the wittiest men of the 19th century. The great artist deflates Wilde, Ruskin, Swinburne, and inane critics and discusses the aesthetics of the Impressionist....more
Published June 1st 1967 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Gentle Art of Making Enemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gentle Art of Making Enemies

Michelle
Despite the fact that James Abbott McNeill Whistler is universally renowned today, complete with portrait of his mother in the Louvre, and works represented in Washington DC's National Gallery of Art and the Smithsonian Institution, he was once the source of much controversy. Critics like John Ruskin continually implied he was a lazy, untutored painter who produced work of an unrefined (if not incomplete) nature.
Luckily for us, Whistler never took a criticism lying down. In this day and age, he...more
Tosh
The artist James Abbott McNeill Whistler was a superb nasty wit, and though this book is charmingly dated in some ways, one can imagine the pain one suffers who is in his Whistler's critical sight. A friend of Wilde's, and in another line of great dandy literature.
Persephone Abbott
"How to be a Successful Artist to Spite your best Critics" should be the subtitle. My, how Whistler drove the waves. He was relentless in his pursuit of art reviewers. Witty, rancune, it's an enjoyable read of the art of fine distempered correspondence, a great sporting event by all accounts. One wonders if the critics drew straws to see who would have the pleasure of reviewing Whistler's paintings and become the object of the artist's exhibitions.
Jen
This collection of criticism, insult and spirited jibes proves Whistler to be a literary genius.

I'd say this is a must read for art history readers, if not for interest in Whistler then at least to wind up critical thinking of art criticism and historicism.
Andrew
I was sold on this from the moment I read on the back cover that it is "a classic in the literature of insult and denigration." I wish there were more letter collections like this.
Nadia
I have the old hard cover and the typography is amazing so I'd give that 5 stars. The banter is entertaining and scything especially for art world people. Haven't read the whole book.
Alisa
I purchased this book following a Whistler exhibition. For anyone who appreciates well-worded, biting criticism, this is a must read.
Kathleen Farrell
I have not read this yet, though I suspect I'll find myself in the black and counting.
Ian
Well, one has to start somewhere, doesn't one?
Kim
Mar 19, 2008 Kim is currently reading it
just got it from the library.
Tony Gualtieri
Artist bites back!
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Nebel Nacht
Nebel Nacht is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Nate Snyder
Nate Snyder marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Dimitris
Dimitris marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Breck Walker
Breck Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
· — — —
· — — — marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Ruthshaffer2000
Ruthshaffer2000 marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Rick Snyder
Rick Snyder marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Etchings of James McNeill Whistler The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler: A Catologue Raisonne Whistler Lithographs: An Illustrated Catalogue Raisonn ̌ Selected Etchings Of James A. Mc N. Whistler Mr. Whistler's "Ten O'Clock"