Start by marking “Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!” as Want to Read:
Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When the rooster wakes up with laryngitis, he must quickly think of how to awaken the farm animals. Maybe the cow can take his place. The cow tries “Mock-a-moodle-moo!” “Sock-a-noodle-moo!” And finally, “Cock-a-doodle-MOO!” And the ducks, the pigs, and the other farm animals wake up with a laugh! “Lots of fun for little ones, individually or in groups.”--Booklist
Published September 15th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Story of Ferdinand by Munro LeafMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonStar of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonGiggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin
Picture Books About Cows
40th out of 41 books — 47 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonThe Amazing Super Great Awesome Incredible Fantastic Space Race! by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Titles with an Exclamation Point!
415th out of 538 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Heidi
An older book, with a bit of repetition that bored me at first. It took some thought, but I finally came up with a good way to read it to the preschool group. I made sure to make the sounds as well as I could--with a distinguishable whisper for the rooster. Then I had the kids help me try to "teach" the cow. And then I had them call out with me for the rest of the book. The Tuesday group was OK with that, but the Thursday group (larger of the two) really got into it. Adults, too, actually.

4/25/1
Allison
A rooster loses his voice and needs help from the cow to wake up the farm. This was adorable!
Daniel
I have to admit that I've always been one to lean toward the surreal or absurdist works in all art forms, and this children's book is a classic for me. A rooster with laryngitis and a cow that tries to help but can't quite get "cock-a-doodle-doo" right. What hilarity!

There's really nothing to this book, except the idea of helping one another, but reading "Moch-A-Moodle-Moo" and "Sock-A-Noodle-Moo" out loud just has to be a sure fire way to get a child to laugh.

I'll read it out loud any time, any
Kate Hastings
Fun book for toddlers and preschoolers about a rooster that wakes up with a cold and has to teach a cow how to step in for him. Funny rhyming words as the cow doesn't quite get it right. Eventually cock-a-doodle moo suffices. And older title-- but the kiddos ROLL on the ground.
Kelly
Illustrated by the author. A rooster with a hoarse voice gets help from his friend cow while delighting the listeners with their failed attempts at waking the barnyard up. I got lots of laughs even from very young kids at storytime. A great book.
Rachel
I'm giving this four stars based on how much this book makes Jacob laugh. We checked it out from the library with a stack of other books about animals, and he kept begging to read this one over and over.
Samantha
Rooster has lost his voice and his whispered crows just aren't waking anyone up. He enlists Cow to help him, but Cow mixes up the message a bit. A funny read aloud for toddlers and prek.
Paula
When the rooster loses its voice and must ask the cow for help to wake everybody, the resulting sound provides a hearty laugh for the farmer and his animals.
Kim
fun story with bright, bold colors and lots of onomonopoeic words; very fun read-aloud

themes: cows, farms, roosters, teamwork
Cheryl
Funny story about a rooster with laryngitis and the cow that tries to figure out how to help. Cute, colorful illustrations.
Edna
One morning Rooster loses his voice and finds he can't wake the farm animals or the farmer so Cow decides to help him out.
Cristina
Funny--a rooster loses his voice and has to recruit a cow to wake up the farm. Illustrations aren't the greatest though.
Janderson
Fun! So much room for kids to interpret sounds and point out objects. Great for a variety of themes.
Ellen Brandt
Worked very well with the transitional Kindergarten class.
Tied into the animal theme
Edward Sullivan
One of my favorite read alouds.
Laura marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Molly
Molly added it
May 04, 2015
Andrea
Andrea added it
Feb 09, 2015
J.lee
J.lee marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
If the Dinosaurs Came Back The Cow That Went OINK ABC T-Rex Whatever Happened to the Dinosaurs? Z-Z-Zoink!