Start by marking “Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!” as Want to Read:
Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When the rooster wakes up with laryngitis, he must quickly think of how to awaken the farm animals. Maybe the cow can take his place. The cow tries “Mock-a-moodle-moo!” “Sock-a-noodle-moo!” And finally, “Cock-a-doodle-MOO!” And the ducks, the pigs, and the other farm animals wake up with a laugh! “Lots of fun for little ones, individually or in groups.”--Booklist
Published September 15th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-a-Doodle-Moo!

Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Story of Ferdinand by Munro LeafMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonStar of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonGiggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin
Picture Books About Cows
41st out of 42 books — 49 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonThe Amazing Super Great Awesome Incredible Fantastic Space Race! by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Titles with an Exclamation Point!
432nd out of 555 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Heidi
An older book, with a bit of repetition that bored me at first. It took some thought, but I finally came up with a good way to read it to the preschool group. I made sure to make the sounds as well as I could--with a distinguishable whisper for the rooster. Then I had the kids help me try to "teach" the cow. And then I had them call out with me for the rest of the book. The Tuesday group was OK with that, but the Thursday group (larger of the two) really got into it. Adults, too, actually.

4/25/1
Daniel
Feb 12, 2008 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I have to admit that I've always been one to lean toward the surreal or absurdist works in all art forms, and this children's book is a classic for me. A rooster with laryngitis and a cow that tries to help but can't quite get "cock-a-doodle-doo" right. What hilarity!

There's really nothing to this book, except the idea of helping one another, but reading "Moch-A-Moodle-Moo" and "Sock-A-Noodle-Moo" out loud just has to be a sure fire way to get a child to laugh.

I'll read it out loud any time, any
Kate Hastings
Feb 07, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winterstorytimes
Fun book for toddlers and preschoolers about a rooster that wakes up with a cold and has to teach a cow how to step in for him. Funny rhyming words as the cow doesn't quite get it right. Eventually cock-a-doodle moo suffices. And older title-- but the kiddos ROLL on the ground.
Kelly
Oct 09, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Illustrated by the author. A rooster with a hoarse voice gets help from his friend cow while delighting the listeners with their failed attempts at waking the barnyard up. I got lots of laughs even from very young kids at storytime. A great book.
Rachel
Oct 21, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
I'm giving this four stars based on how much this book makes Jacob laugh. We checked it out from the library with a stack of other books about animals, and he kept begging to read this one over and over.
Samantha
Rooster has lost his voice and his whispered crows just aren't waking anyone up. He enlists Cow to help him, but Cow mixes up the message a bit. A funny read aloud for toddlers and prek.
Paula
When the rooster loses its voice and must ask the cow for help to wake everybody, the resulting sound provides a hearty laugh for the farmer and his animals.
Kim
Oct 25, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
fun story with bright, bold colors and lots of onomonopoeic words; very fun read-aloud

themes: cows, farms, roosters, teamwork
Cheryl
Funny story about a rooster with laryngitis and the cow that tries to figure out how to help. Cute, colorful illustrations.
Edna
Sep 12, 2010 Edna rated it it was ok
One morning Rooster loses his voice and finds he can't wake the farm animals or the farmer so Cow decides to help him out.
Cristina
Apr 03, 2012 Cristina rated it liked it
Funny--a rooster loses his voice and has to recruit a cow to wake up the farm. Illustrations aren't the greatest though.
Janderson
Apr 02, 2011 Janderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Fun! So much room for kids to interpret sounds and point out objects. Great for a variety of themes.
Allison
A rooster loses his voice and needs help from the cow to wake up the farm. This was adorable!
Ellen Brandt
Oct 30, 2009 Ellen Brandt rated it really liked it
Worked very well with the transitional Kindergarten class.
Tied into the animal theme
Edward Sullivan
May 29, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorite read alouds.
WCNS
WCNS marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Elaine Conway
Elaine Conway marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Johana Salazar
Johana Salazar marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Jj
Jj rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Kim T.
Kim T. rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Gabriela Guardiola
Gabriela Guardiola marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Dee Dee
Dee Dee rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Tabitha
Tabitha rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Molly
Molly added it
May 04, 2015
Aletheia Ubben
Aletheia Ubben rated it it was ok
May 04, 2015
RAYANN GOLDA
RAYANN GOLDA rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015