Start by marking “My Pop Pop And Me” as Want to Read:
My Pop Pop And Me

My Pop Pop And Me

A young boy who loves to sniff the lemon whiff and to clink the dishes in the sink helps his Pop Pop bake a cake.
Hardcover
Published May 2006 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about My Pop Pop And Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Pop Pop And Me

Courtney
Jul 17, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
This short children’s book is about a boy who bakes a cake with his Pop Pop, whom the reader can assume is his grandfather. The book gives a step by step description of making this cake through the use of unforgettable language and wonderful illustration. The author Irene Smalls uses rhyming words and sentences that give a memorable description of how the boy and his grandfather made the cake. She uses words that describe the actions such as “Plop plop eggs into the batter glop,” and “Twisk ...more
Samantha
In this rhythmic read aloud a little boy and his grandpa bake a cake. Water-based paint illustrations are pure fun. The pictures and text do a swirling dance across the pages of the book complementing its catchy rhythms.

I especially enjoyed the scenes in which the little boy shrunk down to a smaller size to perform specific baking tasks and the way in which the grandpa smiled and smiled even when messes were made.

A recipe is included on the inside back cover of the book for Lemon Bar Cake Bake.
Cheryl
Mar 21, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This is a fun book to read with the kindergartners. A boy and his grandfather cook together in the kitchen--lots of rhyming words that the
kids enjoy repeating back.
Shamekia
Sep 12, 2016 Shamekia rated it really liked it
This is adorable and perfect for baby story time! The story is simple with a great rhythm that is perfect for bouncing a baby on your lap. And I'm going to save the recipe in the back of the book it looks delicious.
Jasmine Robinson
Aug 29, 2013 Jasmine Robinson rated it liked it
Shelves: parents
This particular book is about a little boy and his grandfather baking together. What is so special and unique about this book is that this is a rhyming book. This book would be great to use in a kindergarten classroom, helping the children to able to determine which words are rhyming words and which words are not. I loved the sound effects that are made in the story. This is also something fun that the children could all say while listening to the story of this book. This book is definitely a ...more
Sabrina Henry
This book is about a little boy having fun with his grandpa as they baked together. It is a book that shows happiness and togetherness of family. The words are enjoyable and can be used for movement and music. For example,"Sizzle sizzle the butter frizzles, Whoosh whoosh, goes the butter I push."
I also like the illustrations as they were beautiful and simple. Another good thing about this book: The recipe for teh cake they made is at the back!
Whitney Strickland
Apr 11, 2011 Whitney Strickland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, family
My Pop and Me, is a sweet book with a nice rhyming text. It is about a young boy who likes to cook with his Pop! The story is filled with clever cooking words and sounds. Would be great to read to a class before making food. In addition the book has a scrumptious recipe at the end of the story.
Melissa Nastja
Apr 21, 2010 Melissa Nastja rated it it was amazing
Using a plethora of alliteration, this book follows a little boy who loves the different smells of lemons and the sounds that you hear when baking a cake. The story begins with him and Pop Pop as begin to make a cake and end up cleaning and eating!
Garren
This went over so well in storytime today. I love the black representation. I love the cooking. I love the recipe at the end. "Can you make us copies???"
Jen
Apr 18, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime
This book has rhythm and many words happen twice at the beginning of each line. lovely illustrations. shows all the steps in making a cake.
Kim
Rhyming text and onomatopoeia with joyous action packed illustrations to match the sunny lemony cake in the making.
Kendra
Dec 07, 2016 Kendra rated it really liked it
Love this book! The text is super fun to read and makes for a perfect interactive book. Plus, the illustrations are beautiful!
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2008
Sara K
Sara K rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Jenna Friebel
Jenna Friebel rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Yana D.
Yana D. rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Brandi Shockley
Brandi Shockley rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
May 20, 2010
Afriendlylibrarian
Afriendlylibrarian rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Storytime Elizabeth
Storytime Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2011
Racheal
Racheal rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Jasmine Olivia
Jasmine Olivia rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Karen Peale
Karen Peale rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Aaliyah
Aaliyah rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Mia Birdsong
Mia Birdsong rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Tracie
Mar 10, 2016 Tracie rated it it was amazing
A young boy and his Pop Pop spend special times together.
Lucrecia Alvarez
Lucrecia Alvarez rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2008
Trgland1
Trgland1 marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
MrsMaryLibrary
MrsMaryLibrary marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Latrice Jones
Latrice Jones marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jamie
Jamie added it
Jan 03, 2015
Star Tanya
Star Tanya marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
NINA HATCHER
NINA HATCHER marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Najla
Najla marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015