Start by marking “Highland Savage (Murray Family, #14)” as Want to Read:
Highland Savage (Murray Family, #14)

Highland Savage (Murray Family #14)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,429 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Beaten and left for dead, Sir Lucas Murray is a man wounded in body and soul. He has brought himself back to becoming the warrior he once was—except for his ruined leg and the grief he feels over the death of the woman he once loved...the same woman who led him into his enemies’ hands. Dressed as a masked reiver, it is Katerina Haldane who saves Lucas as he battles for his ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Savage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Savage

Feb 20, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
Dialogue is written in Scottish "dialect". Ach, nay! I canna tell ye how it pained me! I willna suggest it to anybody, as I found it verra annoying. I suspicion that it will be found pleasin' to those whose hearts trip a little faster around kilts, though I canna remember a single mon wearin' one.

Ach, aye! Toss it in yon bonnie bankes and yon bonnie braes!
Tina "coffee and books"
3.5 Stars

Hotness Rating 3 out of 5

Review to come. . .
Sheila Sharp
Jun 23, 2015 Sheila Sharp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read

I chose this rating because the book was a nice easy read. The problems they faced where believable. Now I did find the heart break she was having was a little annoying, could easily been fixed early on just by talking out their problems. Which they did do, but I felt that part was drugged out a little. Nice ending to the book with family coming together. Would recommend book to any all, especially to those of us who like a hero who rides in a horse and saves the day.
♥ Melody
Wasn't so crazy about this book. I was really tempted to skip parts cause it just got soooo redundant and dragged out. It was hard to finish. I felt the same conversations were brought up over and over and it took forever to draw to a conclusion. I felt the back drop of the story was kind of convoluted and the hero and heroines 'misunderstanding' of each other just got to be really tiring and idiotic. The author managed to make both of them come off so oblivious and stupid at parts by dragging o ...more
Cruth
Sep 22, 2013 Cruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
"Knowing that he was wrong did not mean he would admit it easily." p.110, loc.1434

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 2007
Length: 352 pages, 4550 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1481.
Sex: explicit, not very frequent. He likes giving oral.
Heroine: Survivor of a severe beating, scarred.
Hero: Survivor of a severe beating, scarred, limps.
Series: Book 14 of Howell's Murray series. Lucas is the twin of Artan in "Highland Barbarian". Matthew the Monk also appeared in Kiera's story, "Highland Champion".
In
Elle
Mar 16, 2012 Elle rated it it was ok
Connection to the series: Lucas is the twin brother of Artan (previous book's hero).

After surviving an attack that left him all but dead, Lucas Murray has returned to Dunlochan for revenge. Revenge against the six men who beat him, shattered his leg, tossed him off a cliff and left him for dead. Revenge against the beautiful bitch who ordered the attack. He once loved her, trusted her, and paid the price. Now she'll pay.

Seeing the man she once loved under attack again by her worst enemies, Kate
Sarah Greenwood
Dec 21, 2014 Sarah Greenwood rated it really liked it
I love the Murray stories and this one doesn't disappoint. Can read in any order as all are stand alone stories which I like. I'm slowly working my way through the lot of them :)
Bridget
Mar 27, 2013 Bridget rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-normal
Lucas Murray (Artan's twin brother) has fallen in love with Katerina Haldane, until he is brutally attacked and told it is at her direction. He literally crawls from the area an eventually his brother finds him and brings him back home to heal. What Lucas does not know is that Katerina was also attacked and thought dead. He returns when he is strong enough, and finds her in hiding from her half sister, who actually instigated the violence against them both. He accuses her of ordering the beating ...more
Jun 23, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Very good. I liked the part where Artan was trying to get all the children in the wagon so they could go visiting.
Diana
Feb 16, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it
After a year of recovering from grievous injuries, Lucas Murray returns for revenge on the one he thinks responsible: Katerina, his true love.

This was a darker book, with insidious plots and perceived betrayals. The undercurrent of betrayal lurked throughout, causing many issues with Katerina and Lucas. Like Highland Barbarian, the climax comes fairly early, leaving a good portion of the book to deal with cleaning up the emotional messes. They are a great couple, however, after the first 100 pag
Diane Davis-ross
Great character, interesting story line, and entertaining.
Danielle G
Dec 10, 2013 Danielle G rated it it was ok
Usually love this series but this book I didn't like a lot. I really liked the female lead but there was something missing when I read the book to get engaged and invested in their love interest. It's weird because I really love this series. I have read so many of the other books and had no trouble with them at all. Anyways this series is great so I won't stop reading just because of this one book but if you're only looking for a single book to read from the series don't choose this one!
Angel
Aug 29, 2015 Angel rated it it was amazing
Lucas is after proving to himself that although the last time he was here he was beaten nearly to death and had his leg broken that he is still a man who can handle his own business, what he never expected was to see Katerina again and to still have the longing for her...Katerina can't believe her eyes when she sees Lucas standing there getting ready to fight....when you have nothing to hold onto but anger can love creep back in....onto the next
Michelle
Jun 10, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
One mistaken look caused a lot of pain for both Lucas and Katerina. We spend much of the story waiting for Lucas to figure out the truth and then wait for Katerina to stop being bull-headed. A great match these two make. For the most part, I enjoyed the book. However, it seemed to take them forever to work their problems out. There was a lot of action and it made the story go by fast. All in all, not a bad read.
Mum
Aug 20, 2012 Mum rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, beach-read
I think I have read one too many books where the hero is tongue-tied around the heroine, and everyone is afraid of his/her own shadow. The story was different, but just not believable even for a romance, where most rules fly out the door. If you want the whole series, it's worth reading. If you need to skip one or two, put this one on the "skip" list.
Tami
Jan 11, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Lucas Murray is one of my favorites in the family, which is why i rated it the way i did. He seemed 'out of character' in this book though. I expected more witty remarks and a bit more arrogance from him than there was. The story seemed to drag on and even went in circles at times. Even with all that said, I still LOVE the series.
Readitnweep
Jul 06, 2010 Readitnweep rated it liked it
Joycee
Feb 22, 2013 Joycee rated it it was ok
I did it again ... I had such high hopes for this story after reading a teaser from Artan's tale. It was a nice story - but not gripping or heart-wrenching or sigh- or weepiness-inducing. Perhaps I'll take a break from Ms. Howell for now.
Carolyn F.
Apr 05, 2010 Carolyn F. rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Pretty cute book. A little too long with the hiding part. And the romance between Lucas and Katerina didn't gel until the end of the book but overall a really good book.
Petula
Sep 22, 2013 Petula rated it it was amazing
i am glad i read this straight after "highland barbarian" it is a totally different story , but because the two heroes are twins it completes the stories better.
Kathrynn
This book just dragged for me. I was alittle more than 3/4 finished, and didn't care anything about the characters. I ended up never picking it up again to finish.
Elaine Mcdonald
Nov 15, 2010 Elaine Mcdonald rated it it was ok
I hated this book. The book just drags, and the author spends so much time explaining even the obvious. I will never read another book by this author!
K
Sep 16, 2012 K rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance and/or the series
Recommended to K by: fan of series
Overall, a sweet story and easy read w/ Howell's typical humor, romance, and plot twits. Would def recommend this book and the series to other readers.
Jill
Mar 12, 2008 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: howell-hannah
Lucas Murray (brother to Artan, et al; grandson of Maldie and Balfour) and Katerina Haldane.
Stacie
May 07, 2007 Stacie added it
Recommends it for: Romance
It was the typical highland warrior romance. It was a good, quick read but not a keeper.
Heather
Jun 17, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
DNF. I think I need to take a break from the Howell Highlander series. *Inwardly sighs*
Vicki
Apr 04, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: hannah-howell
Book was a little slow to me. Didn't enjoy it as much as the others in the series.
Tracy
Aug 28, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Hannah Howell is a talented Author who consistently delivers a great story!
Kashii
Jan 17, 2015 Kashii rated it liked it
id dont even remember finishing this book
Barbara
Sep 27, 2015 Barbara marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
I own this
  • Highland Hearts
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • When the Laird Returns (The Highland Lords, #2)
  • Conquered by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #4)
  • Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2)
  • The Highlander (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #3)
  • A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen, #4)
  • To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3)
  • Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria, #3)
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • Highland Hero (Scottish Knights Trilogy, #2)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...

Murray Family (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Highland Honor (Murray Family, #2)
  • Highland Promise (Murray Family, #3)
  • Highland Vow (Murray Family, #4)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6 & MacEnroys, #1)
  • Highland Angel (Murray Family, #7)
  • Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
  • Highland Warrior (Murray Family, #9 & MacEnroy, #3)
  • Highland Conqueror (Murray Family, #10)

“I was like some daft child who burns himself once and after that is willing to shiver in the darkness rather than make a fire.” 0 likes