The Wooden Spoon Bread Book: The Secrets of Successful Baking

The Wooden Spoon Bread Book: The Secrets of Successful Baking

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Featuring over 250 proven recipes, as well as clear, concise directions on everything from setting up the perfect bread-baking kitchen to creating your own unique recipes, this indispensable tool is for anyone who longs to create the satisfying delights of home-baked breads.
Published January 6th 1994 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Wooden Spoon Bread Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wooden Spoon Bread Book

Dineen
I think the only thing that matters when you buy or read a cookbook is that the recipes work. Well, and sometimes pictures are nice. You won't find any pictures in this book, but you'll find page after page of recipes that actually turn out like they're supposed to. My copy is literally falling apart, and that about says it all.
Linda
I originally bought this book when it was first published in the 1980's. Up to that point I had been baking yeast bread using a mixer with a stainless steel bowl. I let the appliance do the kneading. The author introduced me to the concept of using a large ceramic bowl and a wooden spoon. While stirring in the ingredients I had time to think about what I was making. I could also hear the kids playing in the other room and my husband working outside in the yard. While kneading the ingredients tog...more
Ldrhc
This is my go-to bread book even after 10 years of use. I've used is so much I need to have it spiral bound at Staples. I don't want to replace as I have written comments and dates next to all the recipes I've tried. I just made sourdough oat bread this weekend (5/09).

I'm clicking March, 1999 as the "Date Read" but it really should be listed as the date discovered.
Keith Clark
Better than just a cookbook. It goes into details on some of the stories behind the recipes and explores technique.
Fritz
May 14, 2008 Fritz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
When I first found this book in the library, I kept it overdue for at least two months, trying to bake everything in it. Next to Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads, this one is the most important bread book on my shelf.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Sep 22, 2011
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
May 05, 2011
Kamran
Kamran added it
Sep 21, 2010
Wooden Spoon Dessert Book The Wooden Spoon Book of Home-Style Soups, Stews, Chowders, Chilis and Gumbos: Favorite Recipes from The Wooden Spoon Kitchen A Wooden Spoon Baking Memoir Wooden Spoon Meat & Potatoes The Self-Published Cook: How to Write, Publish, and Sell Your Own Cookbook