Start by marking “Girls in Love (Girls Trilogy, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Girls in Love (Girls Trilogy, Book 1)

Girls in Love (Girls #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  9,040 ratings  ·  157 reviews
Ellie's starting ninth grade and she's got some very definite goals. She'll stay best friends with Magda and Nadine. She'll go on a diet and stick to it. She'll get the glamorous hairstyle. And she'll get a boyfriend. Even if she has to settle for one who likes her more than she likes him. Any guy will do, right?

Jacqueline Wilson is a bestselling author in Britain. She has

Published January 2nd 2002 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Girls in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls in Love

Catherine
At the start this book suspiciouly reminded me of the Confessions of Gee Nicholson, but then I found out it was published before that series...
It was very different though. No snog-a-thons or Dave-the-laughs, but it did hold a different quality, a more emotional, real life one.
It is about 13 year old Ellie. Bushy haired, glasses wearing plump Ellie and the fixes she gets herslef into, one with dorky Dan...
I remember watching the TV version of it when I was about 9, and thinking 'I'm going to r
Janelle Dazzlepants
The book was very cute, and all the girls were relatable although I have to admit that Magda got on my nerves. Elly is adorably self-deprecating without it being annoying and just begging for reassurance, and Nadine may look like the token goth chick, but she's put in situations that young girls can definitely relate to. It's a mess of hormones, self-confidence issues, girltalk and sex without being tacky or scandalous or too sexed up.

The tv series adaptation is also really great =D
Christine Blachford
I’ve always had a soft spot for Jacqueline Wilson, even though I am far too old to be reading things like this now. I picked this up as part of my reading list challenge, and having vaguely recalled a kids TV show that was made out of this source material, I was intrigued at how the story would go.

The thing about Jacqueline Wilson is that she gets right inside kids heads, and even though I am not a kid anymore, I could remember the feelings she was describing as if they were yesterday. Maybe I a
Kate
Oct 25, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls ;)
Shelves: myfavorites
Three rambuncious girls named Magda, Ella and Nadine have about one thing in common, they are all totally boy crazy! Ella always puts herself down just because she is a little bit paranoid of her weight and face shape. Another problem is, her friend's are boy MAGNETS! Everywhere they go, boys just have to stop and look at them! The only boy that really loves Ella is Eggs, her annoying little brother. But of course there is dan. A silly little 12 year old named Dan that is madly in love with Ell ...more
Marta
My TV broke so the rapair man took it to fix and now I can't stop reading books. I have read this book in 1 day and I am finally reading another book. I really like this book because it has some fun things and it was really interesting. The book is about 3 girls. Ellie, Magda and Nadine. They are the 3 best friends. Ellie thinks that she is unattractive and boring, and that no boy would ever be interested in her. Magda has boyfriends all the time and Nadine is dead gorgeous and was nearly on the ...more
Kate Millin
One of the Teenage angst books she writes so well. This is the first in a series of three about Ellie and her best friends Magda and Nadine just going into year 7 and starting to get interested on boys. It brought back lots of memories of what it felt like to be in that difficult time when you are not an adult or a child
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Jacqueline Wilson really knows how to het into a young girls head. The book did have me giggling a few times at how thirteen year olds act. WELL past it now it was different seeing how things are, as you never really remember being that age.

The book focuses on three best friends Nadine, Magda and our narrator Ellie. We get the issues of growing up, step moms, pesky siblings and the issue of boyfriends.

It was a laugh reading as an adult remembering how awkward that age is as things change from u
bakanekonomama
Uumm... 2.75 bintang kayaknya...

Berkisah tentang Ellie, seorang gadis remaja berusia 13 tahun yg sedang putus asa karena dua sahabatnya: Nadine dan Magda sudah punya cowok. Nadine pacaran dgn seorang pria super tampan yg udah kuliah (dan ya, Nadine masih 13 tahun, which is masih SMP!!!). Sedangkan Magda "menjatuhkan" Greg hanya dalam 5 menit krn Nadine udah punya cowok dan dia iri sama sahabatnya itu.

Lalu... Tinggallah Ellie sendiri. Ia akhirnya bercerita kalau dia juga sudah pny cowok, seorang
Hobby
Ilustrator : Ony Marga
Lay-out : Aniza Pujiati
Cetakan I : Februari 2009 ; 196 hlm ; ISBN 978-979-1411-36-3
Rate : 3 of 5

Meet Eleanor ‘Ellie’ Allard – gadis manis berusia 13 tahun, duduk di bangku kelas sembilan di London. Hidup Ellie tampak biasa-biasa saja, kecuali fakta bahwa ibu kandungnya meninggal saat ia kecil, dan ayahnya menikah
Whymsy Likes Books
Boyfriends, diets, and being cool … growing up is hard to do.

This is a story about the in between time from child to teenager. Growing up gracefully is never easy and Ellie and her friends are a prime example of how it really is. Ellie is not super smart, or beautiful, she is a little chubby and likes to draw, in other words a perfectly average girl making her very relatable. She admires her friends and can only see her flaws when comparing herself to them. But not everything is as peachy as Ell
Lauren Hudson
I rated a book I had read in Secondary school and was given this as a recommendation.

All I will say is do not let your children read Jaqueline Wilson books. These books were in the school library when I was 11 and I've seen other readers say they are popular amongst the 8-12/1 age group. Going by on what I remember from reading them at that young age (and I remember them quite well) Wilson manages to write about a host of topics (sex, eating disorders) in an extrememly age innapropriate way.

Su
Naomi Oyegue
SOMETIMES IN LIFE WE MIGHT THINK THAT WE ARE NOT ATTRACTIVE BECAUSE BOYS DON'T WANT TO GO OUT WITH YOU. BUT YOU MIGHT REALIZE THAT BEING ON YOUR OWN IS ACTUALLY THE BEST WAY TO EXPRESS YOUR BEAUTY OR THAT GOING OUT WITH SOMEONE WHO YOU THINK IS THE UGLIEST IN THE WORLD BUT THEN YOU WILL REALIZE THAT HE HIS ACTUALLY THE ONE WHO BRINGS THE BEAUTY IN YOU.

READ TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS BOOK
Nicole
Ellie is a thirteen year old girl living in London, and going to grade nine with her two gorgeous best friends Magda and Nadine. As she goes through the school year with the many goals of dieting, getting new clothes, getting a job in order to buy new clothes, and getting a real boyfriend, she comes to find out she might just get everything she’s dreaming of. but will they meet her expectations?

Girls in love is an amazingly witty and comical book about anything and everything teenage girl’s woul
Hattie
Experience Ellie’s life with her two very close friends Nadine and Magda. You will find that Ellie is very insecure and is constantly wishing someone would fall in love with her. . She soon finds one of her fantasies comes with a twist. When she goes on holiday to their cute little cottage in Wales,close to where she lives she meets this twelve year old boy named Dan who soon falls in love with Ellie and asks her to come back to America with her. Ellie is appalled and realizes how immature Dan i ...more
Celia
Jacqueline Wilson books are extremely popular with the 8-12 year olds at our school, and so I grabbed this book to read. In the story, thirteen-year-old Ellie has two best friends: goth Nadine, and flirty Magda. They goof off at school and are focused on boyfriends, and it's goth Nadine who lands an older one. He pressures her to go further, even as Ellie is trying to find a boy of her own, and her father and step-mother begin fighting more and more.

My overall assessment is that the book is lig
Ursula Clancy
I don't understand why they all have to be so similar these sorts of books. If there is any book where the main character is fine with the way they look or whatever ad isn't jealous of their friend/s please let me know.
Veda Skatter
This was a really quick read. Very girly, entertaining. Not a very heavy book, but the topics weren't too light either. Overall, good for a few laughs and relatable for generally all teen girls.
Annie
One of my rules of this summer was to bring with me a lot of first books in a series, but not to bring any of the others so that I would be forced to read a lot of different things instead of committing long swaths of time to trying to read, say, every book in the 39 Clues series or something. This hasn't been very difficult ... until now. I could kick myself for not bringing along all four books in the Girls series. There is something about young British teenagers that somehow makes all the awk ...more
Franziska
Ellie is a 13 year old girl and all she can think about is her apperance and boys. She thinks she is ugly, fat, unapealing, short and not matured. She meets a boy on a holiday but one problem...he is 12. She focuses all on the negatives instead of the positives of life. Her friends Magda and Nadine are the total opposite of Ellie. Magda is popular and good with the boys and Nadine is quite and dating a 19 year old. Will Ellie end up with a boyfriend? What will happen with Nadine and Magda?

I real
Megan Colio
I enjoyed this book alot! It grips like a limpit on the rocks, near the sea.

It's all about three girls; Ellie, Nadine and Magda.
Ellie falls in love with 'Dream Dan' who she see's in the morning on the way to school but, she isn't actually going out with him.
Nadine has a boyfriend called Liam who wants her to do things that she doesn't want to do! and Magda has a boyfriend called Greg who she doesn't see very much of, she just wanted a boyfriend and he was the first one who catched her eye.

I coul
Leela
I really loved the book. It's a change from Jacqueline Wilson's more childish books. If you didn't read it yet, you should. <3 <3 <3
Kim
Read this one as it is part of The Big Read Top 100 and I'm slowly plodding my way through them. It was an okay read for me but obviously would be far better for the target audience.
Ashleigh Michelle
I read this book recently and I've always enjoyed it, though when you've read it a few times it gets quite boring.
Ellie is a thirteen year old girl who longs to be fourteen, slim and pretty. She resents herself and hates her frizzy hair, plump figure and glasses. The fact that her best friends Magda, a small but gorgeous and confident girl, and Nadine, a Gothic, tall slim beauty are both boy magnets annoys her intensely, as she is always hidden in the background.
This story is a hilarious tale of
Indie
'Girls in Love' by Jacqueline Wilson

Even though this book is about year nine's, which happens to be the year I'm in, it seemed a bit too young for me. It may have had events suited to an older audience but the writing was for a younger audience.

The book seems to be warning younger children not to do the things Ellie, Magda and Nadine are doing.

The girls are clearly stated with very different and strong personalities yet some of the language they all say seem a little alike.

It was a good book but
Holly
At #98 on the BBC Big Read List (and a number of other Wilson teen fiction appears on that list), Wilson really does capture the emotions of teens very well. While it's now been 40+ years since I ended my teens, this took me back to those often painful, embarrassing years. Sweetly done.
Katumu
Jul 24, 2007 Katumu rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers falling in love
Shelves: mypersonalshelf
This book is about 3 teenagers falling in love. Ellie, Magda, and Nadine are up to their tricks again. Nadine falls in love with Liam a person who only wants a girl for a reason and that reason is babies and he will leave the mother and go to another person. Ellie meets a boy called Ross and they are deeply in love. He is Ellie's first lover. Magda is only going out with a neek called Greg (well he is a neek to me) and Magda doesn't really like him that much but, he likes her. its crazy really, ...more
Tracey
I enjoyed this book. It was fun to read. Loved the way the girls always stuck together!
Liz
A very quick read but it was cute and reminded me of my earlier days
Jo
Endearing characters. Good book for young girls to read, depicting their insecurities about being too fat, too boring, not having a boyfriend, having rows with best friends, etc.

It's the first in a series, presumably featuring the same characters. If I'd read this when I was twelve, I'd probably want to read all the others too. As it is, I didn't think it had the originality of the Tracy Beaker storyline. It was just a bit too much like a problem page in a girls' magazine for me; but I think it'
Celine Antunes
This books made me have passion for romance books
  • The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • Losing the Plot (Angels Unlimited, #2)
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Lucky Star
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Frankie, Peaches & Me
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
  • Mates, Dates, and Designer Divas (Mates, Dates, #3)
  • How to Flunk Your First Date (Two of a Kind, #2)
  • Sunset Song
  • Charm School
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...
The Story of Tracy Beaker Double Act The Illustrated Mum Vicky Angel The Suitcase Kid