Start by marking “Fires of Prophecy (The Morcyth Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fires of Prophecy (The Morcyth Saga, #2)

Fires of Prophecy (The Morcyth Saga #2)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,208 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Trapped within the City of Light when it fell to the Empire, James' young friend and companion Miko had been captured by the Empire's forces and is now being taken as a slave into the Empire. The last thing he'd told Miko before they were separated was: I'll find you.

Now James, with the help of some new found allies, travels into the Empire to rescue his friend. Acting as
Published January 1st 2006 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Fires of Prophecy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fires of Prophecy

Don
Jan 26, 2014 Don rated it it was ok
Don't waste your money on this book, it is just an expensive subplot!

The author, Brian S. Pratt, said he wrote this series because he hated stories with subplots. This book is one entire Subplot. You won’t get one centimeter closer to solving the mystery of “The Morcyth Sage” in the Fires of Prophecy book. Well, at least until you read the Epilog! I wasted $5.95 on a subplot that was entirely about trying to find Miko. Not to mention a very tedious process getting there. Constant obstacles, rabb
Amy
Mar 26, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
Whew. I got through it.

The first book in the series, The Unsuspecting Mage, was awkwardly written in the present tense, but the plot was compelling enough to overlook it for the most part.

This book was originally written in present tense and then poorly converted to past tense. Why poorly? Well, once a chapter or so there would be a sentence or even half a sentence that was still in present tense. Super annoying.

Added to that, the plot was not at all interesting. I think James probably could hav
Eric
Apr 30, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
As much as I loved Unsuspecting Mage, this book is just as good of a read. The addition of Jiron as a "main"/supporting character makes for a fun time, leaning about another from the region. Once again the plot is solid and progresses well. This book was extremely difficult to put down, making breaks at work take a little too long.

I also enjoyed the change in perspective from following James, to following the other characters when the need arises. It made for nice contrast.
Sebastien
Dec 03, 2011 Sebastien rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fan de roman légé et fantaisiste
Recommended to Sebastien by: Internet
Shelves: high-fantasy
Alors j'enchaîne immédiatement avec le second volume de la Morcyth Saga. Après ma deuxième lecture du premier volume je me faisais moins d'idée quant au talent de l'auteur et de sa capacité à développer un classique en son genre. Étant le deuxième livre je me disait que l'auteur allait surement déballer un peu plus de son monde et de son fameux génie, car les critiques sur Amazon.com semblait dire que cet homme avait ré-inventé le style fantasy. Je crois qu'il y a eu un peu d'auto-critique et de ...more
Nick Bolock
Jan 28, 2016 Nick Bolock rated it liked it
Coming fresh off the first book and delving into the second, I read through Fires of Prophecy by Brian S. Pratt in short order.

Our tale opens with dire straits concerning our fearless heroes, James and Miko. After being caught up in the fall of the City of Light, Miko is captured and cold as a slave and James is left with no more answers than he started with. Along the way to find Miko, James meets a whole host of new companions like knife-wielding (maniac in the latter's case) boys Jiron and T
LazerWraith
Sep 15, 2012 LazerWraith rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not sure why I read this 2nd book in the series, after the terrible first one. Probably because the main character has some powerful magical abilities, and a few people said this book was better than the first.

It was better...a little bit.

The main problem is a ton of unrealistic actions (even for a fantasy book). Just about every single guard the characters meet ends up fighting them, and then dying because of the party's awesome skills. Has the author never heard of lazy guards that don't r
Alex
Apr 12, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
Book two of the Morcyth Saga was filled with considerably more action than the first novel. I loved the way James gained allies on his journey to rescue Miko. The presence of his newly gained companions served to provide an "ordinary" basis of comparison for James and highlighted all of his strengths to the reader whilst somewhat detracting from his character's perceptible shortcomings. Besides, who does not enjoy watching secondary characters marvel over the prowess of the main protagonist a ...more
Willis
Jul 30, 2011 Willis rated it liked it
Good read if you like fantasy sagas or if you are a role-playing fanatic. Writing style improved over the 1st book in the saga. The book is still more in role-playing mode and less in character development. You feel like you are inside a role-playing computer site. That is not necessarily bad but you'll get more enjoyment out of the game if you enjoy role-playing games. This series does one thing well, I think. It explains what it must be like for a person to learn how to do magic. It starts wit ...more
Audrey Moberg
Aug 05, 2015 Audrey Moberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

The story itself is great and I enjoyed it. Lots of action etc. The main issue is that whoever put it into e-book format (I'm assuming it wasn't written that way after reading the first one and having little to no issues) really screwed up a lot. There are a lot of misspelled words and improper tense/word choices. It was night and day from the first. The story was exciting and kept me hooked but the mistakes were so frequent, at times it was hard to look past without it detracting fro
Kim
Mar 26, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
The seemingly endless adventure continues as James searches for his friend Miko. While on the next part of his adventure he encounters new friends and new enemies. He also continues to learn about himself and the magic gift he has been given for some yet unknown reason. This book is an enjoyable read and those who love fantasy adventure, role play gaming, and just plain good story telling will like this second book in the Morcyth Saga. And the adventures continue...
Connie Fogg-Bouchard
strangely comfortable in a strange land

James has found little more about the medallion he bears but he has discovered that the limits of his magical abilities can be stretched according to the vast imagination he draws on. he has gotten used to the magical place in which he now resides, including the pizza.
Ramdas Ormond
Mar 16, 2016 Ramdas Ormond rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great story, weak writing. This is the case throughout the whole series.

"Then we do stood a chance," he said with a grin.
This quote, lifted from the third book is only one of many examples. I read the series anyway and enjoyed it. The writing did set my teeth on edge at times.
Tommy Howell
Sep 25, 2012 Tommy Howell rated it liked it
The "fish out of water" element of the first novel seems to have gotten watered down a bit now that the main character, James, has come into his power. We get a little explanation, a backdrop for the "big bad" and a big quest that it takes the whole novel to accomplish. Sometimes it felt like a D&D campaign and this book was spent leveling party members.
sheryl Bernard
Storyline is good but not great.

The constant killing is becoming boring. The tense useage is extremely Inaccurate creating a staccato reading experience. The characters are realistic and interesting. This story looks as if no one proofread it. Someone should have because the blatant grammatical mistakes rob it of being a good read. Overpriced.
Ian King
Nov 19, 2014 Ian King rated it really liked it
I don't know how you get away with such terrible writing, yet I'm a little hooked too Brian. You tell a great story, however awful the grammar might be and the present tense style sometimes annoying. However people like to relax and read - with your books you can do just that. Not sure whether to say well done or not. I choose well done.
Greg
Aug 13, 2011 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle-ebook
This was a pretty good 2nd book in the series. I liked the first better as there seemed to be more discovery in it, than this one, which was much more "rescue from slavery" story.

Still a good book and in the same vein as the last a sword and sorcery, MMO, RPG Module novelized... If you D&D you'll probably really enjoy this book/series
Ronmorris2
Jan 26, 2014 Ronmorris2 rated it really liked it
Even better than the first book. Exciting. But the number of close calls and escapes are almost unbelievable. But the message is clear. Treat people well and you will have loyal friends who will help you out in a tight spot.
Thomas Harning
Dec 22, 2010 Thomas Harning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-ebook, reviewed
Excellent read! Read the first one free from B&N and had to continue on with the story. I am now onto the third book in the series and it does not disappoint.

Looking forward to diving into the fourth book in the series.
Melana
Apr 22, 2012 Melana rated it liked it
Well, it didn't really pick up much in book 2. Much more drawn out than book one. It was really hard for me to stay interested. I still like the series though and believe it to be a read all and all. Hoping the 3rd book will be a faster pace. And have more interest content.
Chris Allen
Oct 03, 2016 Chris Allen rated it it was ok
This book is poorly edited and contains enough grammatical errors to make reading it unpleasant. I will not finish this one and will not read the others in the series.
Joy
Oct 04, 2010 Joy added it
The writing style isn't my favorite, but I like the story line and especially the characters
Steve
Oct 22, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
Great series.

Steve
Daniel Livers
Jun 08, 2015 Daniel Livers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This book is a good 2nd book to this series, but there are many typos. Still a very good read!!!!
Lana
Jun 10, 2013 Lana rated it really liked it
I really loved this book, the sequel to the Unsuspected Mage - I can't wait to see where the story leads.
Definitely will recommend to others to read.
pdarnold
Feb 08, 2011 pdarnold rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
Once again, a fun read. This is meant for young adults and should be reviewed with that in mind. If you want to escape into another world Fires of Prophecy will certainly meet the need.
Dawn Dawn
Dec 29, 2011 Dawn Dawn rated it really liked it
Can I just say the writing definitely improved from that of book 1. I'm totally hooked on the series! Great read!
Muhammad Gibran
Jun 04, 2012 Muhammad Gibran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
another great adventure await for James and Miko.
Joshua
Apr 22, 2013 Joshua added it
great book
Suprio
May 12, 2014 Suprio rated it liked it
3.5
Kane
Sep 18, 2011 Kane rated it it was amazing
Awesome. As soon as I finished the book, without any hesitation bought the next book in the series and started reading it.
  • Gifted Apprentice
  • The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • The Ancient Ones (Legacy, #3)
  • The Road to Magic (Дорога демона, #1)
  • Envoy to Earth (The Young Ancients, #14)
  • Honor Found (The Spare Heir, #2)
  • Reborn: Devil's Blood (Reborn, #4)
  • Lord Protector (The Queen's Blade, #6)
  • Magus (Advent Mage Cycle, #2)
  • Magician: The Key to Magic II
  • The Schism (The Broken Prism, #4)
  • Lessons In Etiquette (Schooled in Magic, #2)
  • The Consuls of the Vicariate (Mages of Bloodmyr #2)
  • The Final Redemption (Mageborn, #5)
Brian was born in Modesto, California. He graduated high school in 1985 and went straight into the Air Force where he was trained as an Avionic Specialist on the F-117A Stealth Fighter.

When his tour of duty was over, he joined Pizza Hut as a delivery driver where he quickly rose to become a General Manager of a delivery unit in Edmonds, WA.

Then after a short stint as a taxi driver, he spent two ye
More about Brian S. Pratt...

The Morcyth Saga (7 books)
  • The Unsuspecting Mage (The Morcyth Saga, #1)
  • Warrior Priest of Dmon-Li (The Morcyth Saga, #3)
  • Trail of the Gods (The Morcyth Saga, #4)
  • The Star of Morcyth (The Morcyth Saga, #5)
  • Shades of the Past (The Morcyth Saga, #6)
  • The Mists of Sorrow (The Morcyth Saga, #7)