Start by marking “The Philadelphian” as Want to Read:
The Philadelphian

The Philadelphian

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Touted by its original publisher as an exposé and indictment of blue-blooded Philadelphia society, the late Richard Powell's The Philadelphian was released to rave reviews and later became the 1959 Oscar-nominated film, The Young Philadelphians, starring Paul Newman and Robert Vaughn.

The Philadelphian was an immediate national bestseller, and in the 50 years since its deb

Published January 1st 2006 by Plexus Publishing (NJ) (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Philadelphian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Philadelphian

this was a decent read. i have to admit, i skimmed all the stuff about tony in the war. i always enjoy reading about philadelphia, even if it's fiction.

but dude. i do not get the obsession with "society" and the lengths people will go to to be a part of it. i suppose that there is still a "philadelphia way of life" and "society" that i don't know about. i don't fit in in those circles.

apparently the movie is terrible.

would i read this again? no. but i wouldn't disrecommend it to anyone either.
Wish there was more about the older generations. Fun reading a book set in Philly. Overall good. Much better than the movie that was based on it.
Ray
Oh man, what a delight this was to read. Now mind you, it only gets three start cause its structure was pretty conventional (sometimes boring and predictable) and it wasn't badly written per se, but it wasn't exactly literature.

But what this was a love letter to Philadelphia and even though it was written 50 years ago, it captures the same crazy devotion many of us have today.

Plot: a poor Irish lass escaping famine travels to the US, becomes a maid, seduces the young son of the fancy society peo
Amariz
This is the first book of R. Powell that I have read, many years ago while still in college, and loved the story very much! It might have been written as an expose at the time, but for me, it's a story of the real struggles a boy went through, and the tough decisions he had to make as a man to beat the odds. An excellent read!
Rima
I read the Readers Digest Condensed version. Although the morals of the story are sometimes doubtful but it fabulously written, haven't enjoyed a story this much in a long time!
Renee
May 29, 2014 Renee added it
Same story - immigrants moving up in society - Philadelphia references only thing enjoyable about the book . . .
Rick Claypool
A rather well-written and well-structured novel telling the inspiring story of how, through determination and wits, impoverished immigrants can in a few generations can produce a hot shot lawyer who joins high society, helps corporations dodge tax liabilities, and generally betrays his struggling ancestors' class interests (because that's what they would have wanted).
Jamie Kulyarit
I have read this book in Thai edition. First time i looked at the book, i hesitated to start reading because of its thickness. Finally, i took just only 3 days to finish feeling like i couldn't put it down. The story is good. I also fall in love with all characters in this book but the third part broke my heart.
Ira
I read this book in five days - I barely finish books in three months, let alone less than a week. I really enjoyed Powell's writing style and unique story-telling sense. This was quite enjoyable.
Jessica Coulter
I had to read it for my History of Philadelphia class. It was an enjoyable book but I would not have read it otherwise. I only found it enjoyable due to its Philadelphia references.
Valentina Fumagalli
Valentina Fumagalli marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Yung
Yung marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
George Kolva
George Kolva marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Marci
Marci is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2014
Uma
Uma added it
Oct 30, 2014
Sssevvva
Sssevvva marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Amy Crosier
Amy Crosier marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Deepankar Joshi
Deepankar Joshi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Carol Gartside
Carol Gartside marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Colin Saltry
Colin Saltry marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Richard P. Powell, a graduate of Princeton University, was a journalist and worked in advertising before becoming a full time writer. Two of his books, 'the Philadelphian' and 'Pioneer, Go Home!' were best-sellers in the '50s and were both adapted into movies.

More about Richard Powell...
Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18) Pioneer, Go Home! Whom The Gods Would Destroy Don Quixote, U.S.A. I Take This Land: Florida, 1895-1946